• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

Yay: My copy of Smash arrived a few days earlier than expected
Nay: My sister briefly left the house and missed the delivery

r1chard

Pebble is better than you think. I'm using it to save myself looking at the phone, and it's also terribly nifty for changing songs on my 5S' media player (Spotify or whatever). And notifications and shit, too. And it doesn't look like an oversized piece of crap:
4xRFnKUl.jpg

You're right, that doesn't look like a piece of crap any more. Still not to my taste, but so much better than their first efforts :)

What's the battery life like?

Can one expect some good Christmas sales in Australia? I want to buy a Macbook Air while I'm here an I'm not sure if I should wait for some Xmas deals. Don't mind if it's an online or store sale, I'm in Brisbane atm.

look for places like Dick Smith or JB Hifi to do occasional 10% off Macs. The closer you get to Christmas, the less chance there is that they'll have these sales.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm not suggesting you buy it but COD: AW is $60 on Steam. Activi$ion must of fucked something up and forgot to price gouge us.

Pebble is better than you think. I'm using it to save myself looking at the phone, and it's also terribly nifty for changing songs on my 5S' media player (Spotify or whatever). And notifications and shit, too. And it doesn't look like an oversized piece of crap:

Is this the cheap one or the $200 one?

I'm not suggesting you buy it but COD: AW is $60 on Steam. Activi$ion must of fucked something up and forgot to price gouge us.

CoD AW is actually really good, I had a blast with it on PS4-both SP and MP, but PC multiplayer CoD becomes a ghost town real quick (If it isn't already).

Card Boy

Banned
Couldn't resist for $74. Got one :)

Also i wish i knew about the Banana Pi before i bought the Raspberry Pi B+ acouple months ago.

qiXvu.png

Much better and online like $20 more for like $58.50 from ebay or $65 from the Aussie Banana Pi page.

markot

Banned
Noisy neighbours are the worst.

Reminds me of that father Ted bit.

Dougal: God Ted I've never met anyone like him anyway. Who would he be like? Hitler or one of those mad fellas.

Father Ted: Oh, worse than Hitler. You wouldn't find Hitler playing jungle music at three o'clock in the morning!

Ive had a pebble for like a year. Not a fan.

Watches are so 1789.

Your phone is literally next to your hand in your pocket most of the time, it takes very little effort to simply just pick it up while bringing your wrist upwardly towards your headerly direction.

Not to mention, watch tan line!

They're useful for running. I mean you can strap a phone to your arm, but you look like a complete douche if you do that IMHO. If you're regularly running either before work or in your lunch hour, it's very important to know what the time is and it's very useful to track how long you've been running for, and the smaller the device is that presents that information to you, the better.

If they can add GPS to the smart watches (that actually works independently of the bloody phones) then they'll have my business.

Dead Man

When they can make that with all the functions we have in a phone, they will have a purchase. Looks decent, but I just have no use for it at all.

Analogue watches for life :)

Shaneus

You're right, that doesn't look like a piece of crap any more. Still not to my taste, but so much better than their first efforts :)

What's the battery life like?
That is their first effort :) It just has a "skin" on top of it, and an aftermarker wrist band (both of which I have on order).

As for battery life, it's supposed to get around a week on a 3 hour charge.

Is this the cheap one or the $200 one?
The photo was of the cheaper one ($90 when I bought it, now back to $129 I think). The Steel is nice, but I wouldn't pay ~$200 for it considering the functionality is literally identical.

Cheap one is $75 from Dick Smith tonight btw
How did that work? I only got it on sale for $89 in-store.

When they can make that with all the functions we have in a phone, they will have a purchase. Looks decent, but I just have no use for it at all.

Analogue watches for life :)
How easy do you reckon it'll be to text on a watch? ;)

senahorse

How easy do you reckon it'll be to text on a watch? ;)

It's called speech to text, google does it really well ;)

My gf and I have been looking for a smart watch with fitness functions as well. Unfortunately the tech is still in its infancy. There are good smart watches, and there are good fitness watches, now one that does both really well AND has good battery life, it doesn't exist yet. The closest seems to be the Basis Peak, but with a max 4 day battery life and it being a bulky watch it still doesn't hit the mark. This is an emerging market so I imagine there will be a decent selection before long.

Darren870

Anyone know any good cheap windows based laptops? Would prefer something light like a macbook and have good speedz!

For the missus for xmas or bday. Here only HP beast is choking recently. Its heavy as a brick and is pretty laggy just for internet browsing. To the point where even I want to chuck it out the window and I have the patience of a saint.

Shaneus

It's called speech to text, google does it really well ;)

My gf and I have been looking for a smart watch with fitness functions as well. Unfortunately the tech is still in its infancy. There are good smart watches, and there are good fitness watches, now one that does both really well AND has good battery life, it doesn't exist yet. The closest seems to be the Basis Peak, but with a max 4 day battery life and it being a bulky watch it still doesn't hit the mark. This is an emerging market so I imagine there will be a decent selection before long.
Why would you use speech to text when you can just use speech to speech?

markot

Banned
Anyone know any good cheap windows based laptops? Would prefer something light like a macbook and have good speedz!

For the missus for xmas or bday. Here only HP beast is choking recently. Its heavy as a brick and is pretty laggy just for internet browsing. To the point where even I want to chuck it out the window and I have the patience of a saint.

Horize W230SS-SE - 3200x1800 13.3" - 512GB SSD - i7-4710MQ - GTX860M - Intel 7260AC $1449
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/172758

Details about Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Series HD Laptop 8GB RAM Core i7-4510U NVIDIA 1TB HDD
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-Ins...AM-Core-i7-4510U-NVIDIA-1TB-HDD-/331319325723
code = CBIGXMAS = 679!

Fredescu

$500 or so? Can go higher if need be

You won't get a decent ultrabook for $500. If you can handle something a little chunkier and don't mind a 1366x768 resolution, you could get something decent for $500. Otherwise you're looking at a little more. Maybe go into JB and DSE and have a play and get a feel for the sort of size you want, then have a look for similar devices online.

Relatively serious. If they're in a meeting, just leave them a voicemail.

Text is superior to voice in a lot of cases. It's less demanding of the recipient.

Darren870

You won't get a decent ultrabook for $500. If you can handle something a little chunkier and don't mind a 1366x768 resolution, you could get something decent for $500. Otherwise you're looking at a little more. Maybe go into JB and DSE and have a play and get a feel for the sort of size you want, then have a look for similar devices online.

Guess I am used to US prices ;)

Okay, resolution doesn't matter too much. Don't really need anything fancy to be honest. Rather not have chunkier though as it would be for work too and we both are on the road a bit. Just become a pain carrying around a 4kg laptop while I have my macbook air.

I'll take a look at JB and the above links (thanks markot)

Darren870

How about screen size? What about something like a Surface pro 2?

I thought about this also. The problem is it would be for work a lot. Can you install applications and such just like a normal windows computer? I know most of her programs are web based, but it still needs to function like windows.

Would a wireless keyboard and mouse work with it?

I thought about this also. The problem is it would be for work a lot. Can you install applications and such just like a normal windows computer? I know most of her programs are web based, but it still needs to function like windows.

Would a wireless keyboard and mouse work with it?

Yes to all things, but you'll probably want to use a bt mouse since IIRC there's only 1 USB port on it. I use the Arc Mouse which is pretty good.

I'm running steam on my Spro2 and it plays Civilization V / Beyond Earth with touch controls. Performance isn't good but it's playable as a turn based game. It runs the full desktop office suite with no issues.

Darren870

Yes to all things, but you'll probably want to use a bt mouse since IIRC there's only 1 USB port on it. I use the Arc Mouse which is pretty good.

I'm running steam on my Spro2 and it plays Civilization V / Beyond Earth with touch controls. Performance isn't good but it's playable as a turn based game. It runs the full desktop office suite with no issues.

Hmm nice!! I'll probably ask her what she thinks then. Hardly a surprise but I have other things lined up.

So is this what you guys are talking about:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...osoft/microsoft-surface-2-64gb-tablet/459389/

Its only ~$400. Or should they be cheaper?

Hmm nice!! I'll probably ask her what she thinks then. Hardly a surprise but I have other things lined up.

So is this what you guys are talking about:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...osoft/microsoft-surface-2-64gb-tablet/459389/

Its only ~$400. Or should they be cheaper?

That's the "Surface", not the "Surface Pro". The Pro is the full desktop windows, the regular surface (that you just linked) is a mobile version of windows which does NOT have a desktop / run desktop programs.

JB only has Surface Pro 3 available, which is a good device but is quite expensive. There were SP2s (last year's model) available for outrageously good prices recently. I'll see if I can find them.

Edit: Fark, looks like HN doesn't have them anymore, out of stock. You may be up shit creek boy.

The pro 3 is great but arguably not very good value. It's pricey. And you need to buy keyboard cover separately. They have em on display at jbs usually so try them out there.

Speaking of surface, the Pro4 next year is going to be impossible to resist if they end up using the new Intel Core M. A fanless, 6W chip that outperforms the Pro 3 in almost every measure including graphics. So they could make it noiseless and with way better battery and slightly better perf. And thinner probably too.

Gazunta

I'm holding out for a 4 simply because I only got my 2 at the start of this year and want to get SOME long term use out of it. God, I love this thing so much.

But GEEZ does it feel like a BRICK when I finally got to hold a 3 for the first time. That thing is LIGHT!

Hey, we had Abby Howard from Strip Search there this year, that counts!

THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME! Thank you so much for doing that! More of that please :)

*reloads Penny Arcade store waiting for Strip Search DVDs to become available*

I'm holding out for a 4 simply because I only got my 2 at the start of this year and want to get SOME long term use out of it. God, I love this thing so much.

But GEEZ does it feel like a BRICK when I finally got to hold a 3 for the first time. That thing is LIGHT!

I actually kinda like the heft to it, makes it feel really solid and quality. It's not too heavy for me to use but I understand why people would want a lighter tablet.

THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME! Thank you so much for doing that! More of that please :)

*reloads Penny Arcade store waiting for Strip Search DVDs to become available*

Just to back up Gazunta here, It seems pretty stupid to have a con run by a company that does webcomics and have no proper artist alley thing.

I would like somewhere to sell my "Mario Loves Luigi" fan fic extremely graphic novels. And my Half Life 3 X Gaben crossover fantasy novels.
because that is a fantasy

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Just went to nintendo hq in melbz. It was a magical place with a nintendo flag and a giant charmander teddy that was like 2+m tall

Card Boy

Banned
The photo was of the cheaper one ($90 when I bought it, now back to $129 I think). The Steel is nice, but I wouldn't pay ~$200 for it considering the functionality is literally identical.

I bought the black one from DSE for $74 how did you make yours look metal like? did you buy a skin for it from eBay?

Any place i can get bands? Do i just go to a cobbler/watch repair place?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Anyone else seen housos vs fat pizza?

I've not watched housos just fat pizza, but it was highly enjoyable.

Shaneus

I bought the black one from DSE for $74 how did you make yours look metal like? did you buy a skin for it from eBay?

Any place i can get bands? Do i just go to a cobbler/watch repair place?
That's not mine, but was more posted as an example of what they can look like. I think the website is GadgetWraps.com and that's the titanium skin. I ordered one of those and a pack of clear ones. And a 22mm wristband from eBay because I think it looks kinda boss with a brown leather strap.

:D

No it wasnt
I hate to agree with markot here (or anywhere), but he's right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom