• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezbit

I know it will probably be jank as fuck but hopefully the overall game is awesome (like ME1).

Throwing my support behind it anyway, because story-based alien sci-fi is so few and far between.

I'll be first in line for Andromeda but at this point I'm expecting Dragon Age Inquisition in Space with Krogans.

Yeah I'm hoping that the core shooter gameplay being more enjoyable than the Inquisition combat might help me get through it, but my confidence is really low. Bigger and bigger isn't what I want all my games to be. I want them to be focused and well crafted.

Don't castigate me, but I tried the earlier ME games and couldn't get past the combat, which I thought was very, very poor (even ME2). If I was in a bad mood I'd probably put it even more strongly than that :p

The irony is that I really love the combat in The Witcher 3, which a lot of other people seem to detest.

Don't castigate me, but I tried the earlier ME games and couldn't get past the combat, which I thought was very, very poor (even ME2). If I was in a bad mood I'd probably put it even more strongly than that :p

The irony is that I really love the combat in The Witcher 3, which a lot of other people seem to detest.

Combat in ME1 was nearly unbearable, ME2 at least entered into competent third person shooter territory for its controls and weapons. It doesn't shine until you put it on the 2nd highest difficulty (the one below Insanity), where you're forced to make heavier use of alternate ammo types and powers to strip defenses on enemies. The highest difficulty is a slog, but 2nd highest is just enough to be interesting to play.

jambo

it bombed in Australia?

Sounds like the first one did super well in Australia

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/where-is-john-wick-2-australia-demands-answers/

Australia was the third largest foreign market for box office takings for the original John Wick, pulling in $US2.69 million and contributing a fair chunk of its nearly $US43 million foreign box office. It also proved more popular after its cinematic release in online streaming, too — so it makes sense for the second movie to be released here.

Pumped for Horizon: Zero Dawn, Mass Effect and Lego Batman Movie. All day 1 for me.

Not too fussed about John Wick 2.

I don't have the biggest hopes for Mass Effect but I loved 1 & 2.

TheGorathPlan

Neo Member
I have like zero hype for Andromeda; I got my fill of ME after beating ME3. I can live without another Bioware game in my life.

Super keen for Breath of the Wild, the inevitable Wolfenstein: The New Colossus and all the big fighting games dropping this year (Tekken 7, Injustice 2, MAHVEL BAYBEE!)

Quasar

I have like zero hype for Andromeda; I got my fill of ME after beating ME3. I can live without another Bioware game in my life.

I've lost interest in Bioware too. but thats been a long time coming given my dislike for making rpgs into action games with rpg trappings. Probably why I went so hard into all the various kickstarter rpgs.

Thus I'm rather hyped for both Torment and Bards Tale.

Quasar

Nope it did really well here which is why it's super stupid they aren't capitalising on it here. Lost revenue.

It is odd. As I've said before, I can understand why kids films get delayed so the run in holidays, but for films like this is its weird. And its not like there's a glut of those kinds of films now that they'd feel a new to shift a release date.

senahorse

Nope it did really well here which is why it's super stupid they aren't capitalising on it here. Lost revenue.

Did it do really well though? Especially when you consider the cost of marketing, distribution etc. It ranked 77th in Australia for the Box Office rankings:

77 John Wick Roadshow $2,690,629 10/30

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/australia/yearly/?yr=2014&p=.htm

I assume that 2.7m (already a small number) is just gross ticket sales, which after you account for everyone's piece of that, maybe they saw the risk as not worth it?

jambo

As posted earlier, John Wick only made $86 million worldwide, and Australia was the 3rd largest market outside of NA.

Seems like a no brainer.

senahorse

Sure but we are talking small numbers here. Companies don't generally hate money. It would seem to me they will test the waters with their biggest market and go from there depending on the reception.

jambo

But they already tested the waters the first time...

And it's reviewing well and on track to have a big opening weekend.

senahorse

Well they obviously have their reasons. Maybe they just aren't confident in its ability to make money here, maybe to be worthwhile in Australia 2.7m just doesn't cut it. I would like to think these decisions are generally made for financial reasons alone.

ramyeon

Did anyone get Nioh from JB and get DLC? Ordered mine for in store pick up online today and the store clerk seemed to think I should get some by email and if not to follow up on it. Didn't even realize JB was getting DLC for it.

Did it do really well though? Especially when you consider the cost of marketing, distribution etc. It ranked 77th in Australia for the Box Office rankings:

I assume that 2.7m (already a small number) is just gross ticket sales, which after you account for everyone's piece of that, maybe they saw the risk as not worth it?

? It did well here, $2.7 million is quite good and it already has a local deal so cost/distribution/etc don't really factor into it.

I'll take a stab in the dark and say the distributor is close to going belly up, no other reason they wouldn't even submit it for classification.

Since we are talking small numbers here it would be irresponsible to expect releasing it well after US will result in anything but a huge hit to revenue. The audience for the movie will see it another way before it even comes out here. Distributors have been saying this a lot, we even saw it with LEGO Movie (which they are hilariously now repeating the cycle of).

Did anyone get Nioh from JB and get DLC? Ordered mine for in store pick up online today and the store clerk seemed to think I should get some by email and if not to follow up on it. Didn't even realize JB was getting DLC for it.

Yeah I pre-ordered from JBs and got an email today with my dlc code.

? It did well here, $2.7 million is quite good and it already has a local deal so cost/distribution/etc don't really factor into it.

I'll take a stab in the dark and say the distributor is close to going belly up, no other reason they wouldn't even submit it for classification.

Since we are talking small numbers here it would be irresponsible to expect releasing it well after US will result in anything but a huge hit to revenue. The audience for the movie will see it another way before it even comes out here. Distributors have been saying this a lot, we even saw it with LEGO Movie (which they are hilariously now repeating the cycle of).

yeah, kids animated movie waiting till holidays makes some sense (not as much as it used to) and no sense after what happened last time.

John Wick is just weird. It used to be that films from smaller distributors took longer to arrive in places like UK and Australia because we used to get film prints after they had gone around the US and Canada (Indies had a lot fewer physical prints in circulation for obvious reasons).

But with Digital projection, that's not the reason. Either the film has no Australian Distributor (maybe the rights holders want too much money since they think the demand for the sequel is high and locals aren't biting) or the local distributor is just incompetent.

That said, it opens in the UK this week and I'm not seeing it out of solidarity with my Ausgafam. Or I can't be arsed.

Jesus, 38 forecast in Brisbane on Sunday and Monday with 50% humidity. My folks will be ruing the day they bought leather-look sofas from A-Mart.

^^^

That reminds me, still have an Australia only Saint's Row 2 key.

Quote to reveal.

Yeah I'm hoping that the core shooter gameplay being more enjoyable than the Inquisition combat might help me get through it, but my confidence is really low. Bigger and bigger isn't what I want all my games to be. I want them to be focused and well crafted.

There was some really good stuff in DA:I, the characters and main story missions and some of the areas, hinterlands aside. But if Andromeda requires me to tick boxes on planets and collect wheels of cheese to open up new missions I won't be happy.

senahorse

It's also possible that they didn't get enough interest from cinemas, contracts for movies are real weird. With some movies (I doubt JW2 is in this category) the cinemas make no profits from ticket sales for a couple of weeks and even when they do it's a meager percentage.

But with Digital projection, that's not the reason. Either the film has no Australian Distributor (maybe the rights holders want too much money since they think the demand for the sequel is high and locals aren't biting) or the local distributor is just incompetent.
The Australian distributor is eOne. According to them they've been working on it since mid last year. It's not yet been submitted for classification, I believe.

It's also possible that they didn't get enough interest from cinemas, contracts for movies are real weird. With some movies (I doubt JW2 is in this category) the cinemas make no profits from ticket sales for a couple of weeks and even when they do it's a meager percentage.

Yeah that actually sounds like the most likely scenario

TheGorathPlan

Neo Member
Welp, I tore my left abdominal wall during wrestling class, which has let some blood into the muscle and it hurts to sneeze, let alone roll around and jump. Looks like it's mandatory lazy time for a month for me :/

Just been informed by a co worker that John Wick 2 doesn't have a release date here. The fuck is going on?

It hasn't even been classified here yet...

it bombed in Australia?

As posted earlier, John Wick only made $86 million worldwide, and Australia was the 3rd largest market outside of NA.

Seems like a no brainer.

But they already tested the waters the first time...

And it's reviewing well and on track to have a big opening weekend.

Sure but we are talking small numbers here. Companies don't generally hate money. It would seem to me they will test the waters with their biggest market and go from there depending on the reception.

Well they obviously have their reasons. Maybe they just aren't confident in its ability to make money here, maybe to be worthwhile in Australia 2.7m just doesn't cut it. I would like to think these decisions are generally made for financial reasons alone.

John Wick is just weird. It used to be that films from smaller distributors took longer to arrive in places like UK and Australia because we used to get film prints after they had gone around the US and Canada (Indies had a lot fewer physical prints in circulation for obvious reasons).

That said, it opens in the UK this week and I'm not seeing it out of solidarity with my Ausgafam. Or I can't be arsed.

The first film only released in 177 screens, comparatively small compared to something like xXx: Return of Xander Cage
which just released in 330 cinemas here.

So yeah, I don't really understand. Surely $2.7 million is quite good for a new IP that was only released in 177 theaters locally.

It's sounds very much like the distributor is in over their head and the cinemas are laughing them off. I get the impression if they can't get a deal done within the next week they'll end up letting the rights lapse and we won't get a release at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom