• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

Did you end up finding a good answer to this? I'm in the exact same situation (even down to the price range). I'm thinking about using TrueCar because they have some sort of relationship with Geico, who is handling my insurance claim on my existing soon-to-be-declared-totalled car.

Only food talk up in hyah, sir!

Honestly 404, shopping for a used car is a complete mind fuck and stressful.

I would just keep an eye out for inventory at applesi.com. The reason is they offer a base warranty package for any car you buy (per my post above). This covers engine and transmission. Yes, if your trans dies, you pay $100 deductible and they will repair or replace it for you. The problem is you're at the mercy of their inventory which isnt as extensive as other dealerships. My budget is under 10K all in and right now they dont have anything that fits either of these parameters.

I have looked at dealerships across town , found some cars which, on paper, sound good, but I am uncomfortable buying a used car from anyone who cannot guarantee that the transmission wont shit a brick the day after I drive it off the lot and I am certainly not going to buy a 'peace of mind' warranty from a third party insurance company that say they'll have your back but wont due to fine print 'but not if's. I have a mechanic who i trust and will be taking it to him to give me the okay but its been a slow process.

Still looking.

Not gonna lie, pretty stoked for Switch and I would be down for Bomberman which I think wou;d be fun as well. I am unsure if one copy of the game can accomodate 4 or more people for local multiplayer or co-op though.
Zelda at launch and promises of No More Heroes 3, Dragon Quest XI, Octopath Traveler, Mario Odyssey, and ports of SSB and Stardew Valley (and rumors of Harvesr Moon) were more than enough to convince me to preorder.

I'm kind of interested at the lack of AAA launch titles because it's going to force me to look outside of the box. Bear in mind I am a diehard lover and defender of the original Wii.

Zelda at launch and promises of No More Heroes 3, Dragon Quest XI, Octopath Traveler, Mario Odyssey, and ports of SSB and Stardew Valley (and rumors of Harvesr Moon) were more than enough to convince me to preorder.

I'm kind of interested at the lack of AAA launch titles because it's going to force me to look outside of the box. Bear in mind I am a diehard lover and defender of the original Wii.

Etrian, on a side note, I was curious: do you hit up any of the Wrestle Circus shows in town?

Rowena

Neo Member
I asked this a while back, but I'm looking for some recommendations for apartments. I'm working from home so location close to "work" isn't an issue. I would like to be close to an HEB. I'm looking for a safe area for our new baby coming this summer. So long story short, does anyone have recommendations on apartments?

Zoe

I asked this a while back, but I'm looking for some recommendations for apartments. I'm working from home so location close to "work" isn't an issue. I would like to be close to an HEB. I'm looking for a safe area for our new baby coming this summer. So long story short, does anyone have recommendations on apartments?

There are HEB's everywhere. I would think it'd be best to be near your PCP and urgent care centers if you're gonna have a newborn.

Etrian, on a side note, I was curious: do you hit up any of the Wrestle Circus shows in town?
Before your post, I wasn't even aware of it.

I see Joey Ryan is a headliner for an upcoming show... can't say I'm a fan of his at all. Riccochet is entertaining as hell to watch, though.

Is it a purely open-door promotion, or do they have an actual roster?

Before your post, I wasn't even aware of it.

I see Joey Ryan is a headliner for an upcoming show... can't say I'm a fan of his at all. Riccochet is entertaining as hell to watch, though.

Is it a purely open-door promotion, or do they have an actual roster?

Open Door but they have been doing an absolute amazing job of attracting stars, treating them right, and just putting on a damn great show. The owners seems to be genuinely good people (husband and wife) and the talent have had nothing but praise about their experiences. Tickets on average cost $25-$30. Well worth one go.

Hopefully some of the other lurkers in this thread catch this and maybe we can even do a meetup. I think, I could be wrong, one of their PR people lurks this thread and has a GAF account.

Meier

The HEB on Oltorf is the one nearest us.. the HEB itself is not a great one to be honest but it does the job. My wife and I have to use the laundromat right around the corner. There are a lot of apartments being built on South Lamar so you can probably find something within 1-2 miles of it and it's a very safe area. Depending on your budget, there are some quite luxurious options including the ones by the Drafthouse.

I'm not sure the name offhand, but they're making good progress on a massive one right behind where we live (next to the In-N-Out Burger) and there is also the Bell South Lamar (http://www.bellapartmentliving.com/tx/austin/bell-south-lamar/) which I would imagine might still have some availability.

I'm stuck between the SoCo/Oltorf HEB and the Hancock Center HEB. At least we have a Trader Joe's within walking distance, but their meat prices blow.

Meier

I'm stuck between the SoCo/Oltorf HEB and the Hancock Center HEB. At least we have a Trader Joe's within walking distance, but their meat prices blow.

Well, we personally never go to HEB as we live within walking distance of Target and Wheatsville. Randall's is probably the nearest cheap grocery store, but the HEB isn't too bad to get to. There is also a Sprout's (or whatever it's called now) and Central Market within a few minutes. Good spot.

Have you been to Kemuri yet?
Went there Saturday night and loved it. The ambiance was great and the drinks were wonderful.

They have some hit-or-miss things on the menu that need to be tightened up, but I'm told they're aware and already drafting up a menu revision.

I'm down to milking cows in public.

I'll be buying Zelda digitally but will cop a physical copy of Bomberman. I'm not sure how many players that can support locally and on one cartridge though. Passing on 1, 2 Switch.

On a non-related gaming note, there are two amazing brewery's I have recently come across that I think would make meet-up setting: 4th Tap and Adelbert's Beer (their stuff is sold in cans and bottles at HEB). Awesome atmsphere, busy and at times have market events taking place outside.

Gurrry

Vigilante is fucking amazing. Ive been there the past 2 weekends and its really great. The food is really good too. Like really really good.

I love the set up. Its easily dethroned Emerald Tavern as my goto spot (mainly because theyre always busy).

Anyways, the switch launch is tonight. Anyone at the Round Rock best buy by chance?

Timeaisis

I'm down to milking cows in public.

I'll be buying Zelda digitally but will cop a physical copy of Bomberman. I'm not sure how many players that can support locally and on one cartridge though. Passing on 1, 2 Switch.

On a non-related gaming note, there are two amazing brewery's I have recently come across that I think would make meet-up setting: 4th Tap and Adelbert's Beer (their stuff is sold in cans and bottles at HEB). Awesome atmsphere, busy and at times have market events taking place outside.

Love 4th tap, haven't been to Adelberts yet but I'll check it out, thanks for the rec.

Vigilante is fucking amazing. Ive been there the past 2 weekends and its really great. The food is really good too. Like really really good.

I love the set up. Its easily dethroned Emerald Tavern as my goto spot (mainly because theyre always busy).

Anyways, the switch launch is tonight. Anyone at the Round Rock best buy by chance?

I wanna go to Vigilante real soon. Looks awesome.

And yes, will be at round rock tonight around 11 for the switch. Maybe I will see you there.

And yeah, I wanna play some switch with y'all. Wow a few posts and three potential meetup possibilities. What are y'all smoking today.

Love 4th tap, haven't been to Adelberts yet but I'll check it out, thanks for the rec.

And yes, will be at round rock tonight around 11 for the switch. Maybe I will see you there.

And yeah, I wanna play some switch with y'all. Wow a few posts and three potential meetup possibilities. What are y'all smoking today.

going back and forth deciding between round rock or frys at mopac.

Seems like Amazon Prime Now still has some on sale as of right now. Tempting to buy a second Switch before the one I preordered online arrives later today.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Almost impulse-bought one from Amazon Prime Now. I feel like I should probably wait a bit, though (for the online service and Virtual Console to get fleshed out, more games, etc).

I dunno, someone convince me one way or the other?

haha I just got one off Prime Meow too. Gets here between 8-10am (sitting at Rutland and Metric which is 15 mins away from me). dont forget to use the shop15 promo code for $15 off

Gurrry

Damn I didnt see this until now. I ended up getting mine. I didnt get out of there until like 1 am. That best buy was so slow man. Thank god im not sick this morning.

Overall im happy with the purchase though. I got the last neon one they had.

Timeaisis if you're (or any of you really) still looking to nab a console today, pm me. I have a grey console coming in before 8p from Amazon. Will sell at cost plus tax. Otherwise I will have UPS return it.

I live near Parmer/mcneil

Gurrry

Hey did anyone get that zelda poster? I didnt get one last night. I guess they maybe ran out but I stood in the cold for like 3 hours. I want my damn poster!

Meier

I am still overwhelmingly annoyed that the Best Buy at 290 and Mopac wasn't open despite a few others in the area opening at midnight. There is no way this isn't the most popular store in the area.. won't get to play until late tonight.

Gurrry

I am still overwhelmingly annoyed that the Best Buy at 290 and Mopac wasn't open despite a few others in the area opening at midnight. There is no way this isn't the most popular store in the area.. won't get to play until late tonight.

From what I could tell, it seems like Nintendo were the ones controlling which Best Buy would do midnight launches. The ones that did probably got the most stock. Id say the BB I went to probably had around 200 systems? Atleast 100 of those preordered, maybe more. They handed out about 45-50 tickets last night and completely sold out by the end.

Timeaisis

Hey did anyone get that zelda poster? I didnt get one last night. I guess they maybe ran out but I stood in the cold for like 3 hours. I want my damn poster!

I didn't get one and I was one of the first on the store after preordering... So I have no idea.

I think I asked this before, maybe last year. Wanted to give it one more shot.

Does anyone have a PS3 and a copy of GTA V, who wouldn't mind me running through the beginning of the game so that I could connect my Rockstar Social account? I would remove my data from the system after achieving this. I just want to unlock the returning player content for my PS4 account before R* closes the character transfer process a few days from now.

PM me if you can help. I would really appreciate it.

Anyone got SXSW plans? I bought a wristband for gaming. I dunno if I'll check out any movie screenings tbh, but I heard you can get tickets at the doors instead of buying the whole badge. I decided against getting a music wristband since I work most of the week so I wouldn't be able to make most use of it, but I know there are a decent amount of free bands you can listen too.

How's everyone who bought their Switch enjoying it?

Zelda is...quite the specialness.
I got my Switch in the mail, but I didn't get Zelda (just wanted to secure a console). I still have to finish Yakuza 0, only six more chapters....

Also, I just got hired on as the new yakitori guy at Fukumoto.
This is more for fellow Asian Zoe than anything
I can speak as someone of Japanese heritage and being trained by a Japanese chef that the food is fkn beautiful. Loving it so far.

Also also, Old Thousand is doing a special brunch this Sunday. I happen to be off and will be attending, if anyone else wants to go I highly encourage it and maybe we can make a meetup (you know you wanna go Zoe).

Zoe

I got my Switch in the mail, but I didn't get Zelda (just wanted to secure a console). I still have to finish Yakuza 0, only six more chapters....

Also, I just got hired on as the new yakitori guy at Fukumoto.
This is more for fellow Asian Zoe than anything
I can speak as someone of Japanese heritage and being trained by a Japanese chef that the food is fkn beautiful. Loving it so far.

Also also, Old Thousand is doing a special brunch this Sunday. I happen to be off and will be attending, if anyone else wants to go I highly encourage it and maybe we can make a meetup (you know you wanna go Zoe).

Congrats!

My Sunday is all booked unfortunately :( I haven't made it out to Old Thousand yet, but my friends seem to be split down the middle on it. Half love it, half think it's stupid.

Etrian, your first mistake was asking Zoe another closed-ended question she can say no to. Here's how you do it:

Oh, hey Zoe! How's it going? Yeah, same here. Say, what day works for you? Going forward, we are going to plan around your schedule. Thoughts?

SXSW is so confusing and I'll be getting spam for months for RSVPn to so many events. Is there really free booze everywhere as it seems tho?

Edit: There is, god damn.

Has anyone gone to the gaming expo part of SXSW? I kind of want to see the panel with Avalone tomorrow and the one with the Owlboy creator saturday but was wondering how the main stage/expo was. Are there a lot of cool unreleased games and diverse arcade cabinets to fool around with?

Has anyone gone to the gaming expo part of SXSW? I kind of want to see the panel with Avalone tomorrow and the one with the Owlboy creator saturday but was wondering how the main stage/expo was. Are there a lot of cool unreleased games and diverse arcade cabinets to fool around with?

I usually read a lot about it leading up to SXSW, but I've seen almost nothing on it this year. Maybe it's because Pax East hit around the same time. Or does Pax East always take place at this time of the year?

Chris R

If you had to eat someplace downtown that was semi-upscale (like $30 a plate tops) where would it be? Visiting Austin again next month, trying to branch out and not stick to places I tried on my last visit.

If you had to eat someplace downtown that was semi-upscale (like $30 a plate tops) where would it be? Visiting Austin again next month, trying to branch out and not stick to places I tried on my last visit.
Fixe is pretty neat. Corner at the J.W. Marriott is pretty damned good too, best chicken sandwich in the metro area.

Any vegans here have any particular local recommendations for things like cheese substitutes or favorite restaurants? Making the switch tomorrow as I've already been vegetarian for a while and I'm lactose intolerant anyway.

Top Bottom