• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

Zoe

Man, the doozies you see when you try to talk politics on Nextdoor...

5KiPE47l.jpg

Zoe

Next Door has its fair share of toxic conversations and it is wild to me that people are willing to spew their hatred to people who live within walking distance from them .

We had a prominent member of our community get harassed by teenage boys for being gay and one of the boy's father resorted to "boys will be boys" shit , defending his son. People love to have it known that they are fucking awful. Don zimmerman included.
Wow, that's awful. Luckily the area I'm in pretty confrontation-adverse. People were trying to get completely civil political discussions shut down (of course it's heated up once it was confirmed to be allowed), and one neighborhood near us couldn't even discuss how to make a school better because feelings were getting hurt from constructive criticism.

The worst I've seen so far this cycle is coded language used against Flannigan such as him not being a "family man".

Zoe

Any of you nerds wearing a Kingdom Hearts shirt today? :lol

I see that Prop 1 passed. Good to hear.

I was lukewarm on that. Could have been a better package, but as Flannigan has been saying, the Austin of the past is gone. We have to keep moving forward.

Meier

I was lukewarm on that. Could have been a better package, but as Flannigan has been saying, the Austin of the past is gone. We have to keep moving forward.

It's not perfect but it's a start. You have to do things incrementally. South Lamar is absolutely fucked and gets worse every month -- very curious to see how it all plays out. I imagine the actual construction will result in some significant growing pains.. hopefully it isn't a years long thing.

There any local shops that release games early? Would be nice to be able to get FFXV early like people in other cities are.

Sound on Sound was pretty fun, was much easier to work around than ACL. Keep Stage was fucking terrible tho and I don't know what they were thinking shoving it in a corner.

There any local shops that release games early? Would be nice to be able to get FFXV early like people in other cities are.

Sound on Sound was pretty fun, was much easier to work around than ACL. Keep Stage was fucking terrible tho and I don't know what they were thinking shoving it in a corner.

Nah. There's maybe 2 mom n' pop shops in the Austin area that actually deal in new releases. Neither would break street date.

Finding someone willing to break the rules would require a trip to San Antonio or Houston.

It's not perfect but it's a start. You have to do things incrementally. South Lamar is absolutely fucked and gets worse every month -- very curious to see how it all plays out. I imagine the actual construction will result in some significant growing pains.. hopefully it isn't a years long thing.
Oh, I'm sure it would work out fine.

LOL MOPAC.

I would hit up the usual suspects on Reddit or see if there's a San Antonio community thread here on GAF (I haven't checked). Just read through other postings and see what names are thrown around. Personally I wouldn't call and ask someone if they're selling (breaking street date). Kind of an ethics thing. If someone happens to be selling it early, I'll take it up to the register.

Makes sense that you wouldn't call to ask as that'd be unsafe for them.

Any good spots to practice city bike riding near West Campus/Downtown? Have never rode in a city before and I've found it pretty terrifying lol. Have only ever done trails and such

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Anyone mind PMing what those places are that's willing to break street date? I'd be down to visiting SA for that.

Zoe

Man, I saw a good open-box TV at Best Buy last night, but it was already gone by the time I went back tonight. I overheard a guy saying all their open-box stuff had been flying off the shelves.

Gotta check another Best Buy tomorrow, see if they have anything in the 32"-40" range.

Needs more food topics.

Where are the places good for Indian/Japanese Curry?

I need to also game more
Indian - Masala Wok, Teji's, Saffron
Japanese - Sushizushi, Papa Donkasu, Kome, Daichi

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Man, I saw a good open-box TV at Best Buy last night, but it was already gone by the time I went back tonight. I overheard a guy saying all their open-box stuff had been flying off the shelves.

Gotta check another Best Buy tomorrow, see if they have anything in the 32"-40" range.

omg. these are like all terrible.

Zoe

Clay Pit is better for Indian. For Japanese, Kome is not bad but overpriced unless it's lunch. Hanabi is way better imo.

Hanabi doesn't have curry.

I've never been impressed by Clay Pit. Maybe I just don't like whatever their specialty is.

Meier

I'm disappointed we are losing Acevedo.

I was looking on their site last night and they had a 48" 1080p Samsung for like $289. Open box version was like $239. Insane... I'm sure one in your range would be around $200 or less.

Zoe

I'm disappointed we are losing Acevedo.

Haven't watched it, but bf said the press conference was very sad :( :( :(

I was looking on their site last night and they had a 48" 1080p Samsung for like $289. Open box version was like $239. Insane... I'm sure one in your range would be around $200 or less.

Yeah, there are brand new ones easily found around the $200 price range--we're just hoping to be cheap because the plan for this TV is to be "disposable" (back patio, so it's gonna take a beating). I was originally going to get a 32" Sharp for $150, but the open box was a 40" Insignia for the same price, just missing the stand which we wouldn't need.

Gonna wait for upgrading the main TV, gotta snag a two-zone receiver first (to be used with the outdoor TV).

Edit: Found the aforementioned 32" as an open box in Round Rock for $109, score.

Thanks for the suggested places! :)

I heard of Sushi Zushi from a friend, although he forgot the name of the place. Definitely will check that out first.

Moto's curry was really good. I miss the Dojo.... :(

Are we doing an attempted meetup anytime soon?

I never even got to experience The Dojo. D: Although.. I do love Pacific Rim.

Are we? Can it be food? My judgement awaits

Tell him to open a curry shop!
I keep telling Mike I'll work for him if he tries to do ramen again.... :\
Thanks for the suggested places! :)

I heard of Sushi Zushi from a friend, although he forgot the name of the place. Definitely will check that out first.

I never even got to experience The Dojo. D: Although.. I do love Pacific Rim.

Are we? Can it be food? My judgement awaits
Dojo was special stuff, lotta soul in the cooking there.

Food is fine, so is drink or music. :p

This traffic from Dallas to Austin holy shit. Multiple hour long delays on i35.

Even riding the feeder is a nightmare with all the construction and stop signs.

My wife and daughter were visiting friends in San Antonio and they made two trips to Franklin. The first time they did not heed my advice to get there really early and they were too far back in line (probably okay for any other time, but Xmas-NYE is apparently their busiest week). Went back the next day and loved it. Brought me back a little present, too.

bm7BHBI.jpg

Attention Austin-GAF:

A new wine bar is opening up, and Eater Austin did a little sneak-preview write-up.

As someone who has also gotten inside access to the cocktails and the food, this is not a spot you wanna sleep on. It's a gorgeous venue, too.

Hey, how's it going? Doing good? Yeah, me too.

Question: I need recommendations to buy a used car. Not doing CL. Applesi seems to be a good bet. They offer lifetime warranty (i believe this translates to 30 yrs) on cars under 8 years old and under 80K on odometer (they'll repair engine and transmission after $100 deductible). Not looking to spend more than $10-$15K really as I need this to get to and back from work. (25 min total / day)

Any other ideas?

Timeaisis

I got mine pre-ordered so I'm down. Although there aren't that many games at launch but to hell with it I'm sure 1-2 Switch will be alright.

What tacos?

I got mine pre-ordered so I'm down. Although there aren't that many games at launch but to hell with it I'm sure 1-2 Switch will be alright.

What tacos?

I didn't eat tacos, sir. Thought if I used the word, it would wake this food thread up!

Not gonna lie, pretty stoked for Switch and I would be down for Bomberman which I think wou;d be fun as well. I am unsure if one copy of the game can accomodate 4 or more people for local multiplayer or co-op though.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, how's it going? Doing good? Yeah, me too.

Question: I need recommendations to buy a used car. Not doing CL. Applesi seems to be a good bet. They offer lifetime warranty (i believe this translates to 30 yrs) on cars under 8 years old and under 80K on odometer (they'll repair engine and transmission after $100 deductible). Not looking to spend more than $10-$15K really as I need this to get to and back from work. (25 min total / day)

Any other ideas?

Did you end up finding a good answer to this? I'm in the exact same situation (even down to the price range). I'm thinking about using TrueCar because they have some sort of relationship with Geico, who is handling my insurance claim on my existing soon-to-be-declared-totalled car.

Top Bottom