• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Got job offers in Oakland and Austin. What is the renting market like in Austin. I think it would be cool to live in the Bay Area, but it's pretttttyyyyy expensive.

border

Anyone attending the Donald Trump speech this evening?

I'm kinda curious how well that will go over in a place like Austin.

Timeaisis

Got job offers in Oakland and Austin. What is the renting market like in Austin. I think it would be cool to live in the Bay Area, but it's pretttttyyyyy expensive.

Austin can be pretty affordable, depending on the part of town you want to live in.

You know, I go back just a few pages and read discussions we were having here almost a year ago. This thread is profound sadness.

Just messin' with you.

You coming out to the next meetup?

Yeah, we are kind of a dead community at this point. Well, I tried!
lol at "next meetup"

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
i think north austin would be a pain in the ass in the mornings unless you figure out a back route to get to where you need to. I would not hang out anywhere close to i-35 for example.

if i want to get between east and central in the mornings from North, i would take mopac (hwy loop 1) and take whatever exit i needed to. that would usually run me anywhere between 20-40 minutes depending when i get my butt out the door. You can find an abundance of apartments closer to where you need to work for similar rates you'll find to rent up north. Guadalupe street comes to mind.

Thanks! Perhaps I'll look closer to eastern.

I'm going to be in Austin for a work trip next week and was wondering if there's any places downtown that are worth checking out.

I wanted to go to a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse, but otherwise I'll probably be walking around playing it by ear.

It'll be my first time in Texas.

If you're cool with going to South Congress, you might want to hit up Home Slice Pizza.

Perry's Steakhouse has a Friday lunchtime pork chop special. It's pretty incredible, and rather cheap for Perry's. Make a reservation if you plan on going.

Just east of 35 on 7th or so is a fantastic Brazilian food truck called Boteco. Get the picanha grelhada.

Get breakfast tacos from Tacodeli. Royal Blue Grocery on Congress carries them in the mornings.

Get BBQ from...just about anywhere? Forget Franklin unless you have 4-5 hours to spare. Maybe try La Barbecue.

My standards for tex-mex are low. I would eat it just about anywhere. Chuy's is iconic.

Oh yeah, I guess I only recommended food. I'm hungry.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Anyone know how to get into Red Headed Stepchild?

Got a friend coming to town, and would like to try and sneak in there if possible.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know how to get into Red Headed Stepchild?

Got a friend coming to town, and would like to try and sneak in there if possible.

If you find out from someone not on GAF, please post the method, as I'm interested as well (and I'm sure others might be too).

Timeaisis

Well, Michi has really screwed the pooch. They've apparently changed from slice pork to these chunks in their Michi and Sapporo bowls that for me, were extremely fatty and overwhelmed the whole broth. It was kind of disgusting, actually.

Sucks, because they were my favorite ramen place in town. What is it with restaurants making these idiotic changes lately?

Well, Michi has really screwed the pooch. They've apparently changed from slice pork to these chunks in their Michi and Sapporo bowls that for me, were extremely fatty and overwhelmed the whole broth. It was kind of disgusting, actually.

Sucks, because they were my favorite ramen place in town. What is it with restaurants making these idiotic changes lately?
Still not as damnable as Tatsuya going to shitty, SHITTY angel-hair pasta instead of actual chuuka ramen noodles. Shameful.

Anyways, who's braving downtown tonight? I'm pooped from work, and I gotta go to the gym at 8am since I work at noon tomorrow. It'd be fun getting all in the mush, though.

I'm hoping tomorrow night is busy and I'll go out after I get off work.

Rowena

Neo Member
Hello, I'll be moving to Austin from the Bayarea. Does anyone have any good recommendations on Appartments? And a good locations that any of you may have stayed at? Where I should avoid? Thank you in advance for your replies!

Hello, I'll be moving to Austin from the Bayarea. Does anyone have any good recommendations on Appartments? And a good locations that any of you may have stayed at? Where I should avoid? Thank you in advance for your replies!

Well, all the Google Fiber is in South Austin. I mean, you have to kind of know where you're going to need to get to, you're not want to going to have to drive through certain traffic prone areas.

Zoe

Still not as damnable as Tatsuya going to shitty, SHITTY angel-hair pasta instead of actual chuuka ramen noodles. Shameful.

Boo, I love their noodles. They use the thicker ones for their Tokyo ramen and tsukemen.

Completely depends on where you work.

Rowena

Neo Member
Completely depends on where you work.[/QUOTE]

I won't be working for a while, and when I am working I'll be working from home. I'm more or less looking for a safe area that is near the city.

Is Game Salad still a thing? They started here.

Still a thing. I spoke with their co-founder just over a week ago. He now works not far from me, and he's been wondering what the heck I've been up to!

I don't know who is their CTO now. I know the person who was the CTO before now, he's also a cool dude. That fellow did a MUD for Sierra back in the mid 90s that I used to spend too much time on.

Startups! Things change super fast.

The same goes for Austin's tech scene. Back when I knew co-founder person, Austin was the Land of Flash. Not so sure what the hot thing is now. Cloud, maybe? Chatbots?

The Longhorns finally won a big game, and the city was awesome last night. West 6th (my neighborhood) had crowds on either side of the road.

And then it rained today. Not like I'm doing anything though, I'm still hungover from last night. _o_

Today is the month that I bring my life back up. I need to find a job.

Hopefully I'll find one soon enough, I just want to get started on things before the end of the year.

What are some of peoples' favorite bars in the city? I normally end up at Side Bar because it's so cheap but it'd be nice to have a place for quality cocktails. Dive Bar is relatively close and sometimes good but their bartenders are really inconsistent.

What are some of peoples' favorite bars in the city? I normally end up at Side Bar because it's so cheap but it'd be nice to have a place for quality cocktails. Dive Bar is relatively close and sometimes good but their bartenders are really inconsistent.
Green Light Social, Star Bar and Dogwood are my go-to spots in my neck of the woods.

The Draughthouse has an amazing beer selection up on Medical Parkway. And then you have Whisler's over on hipster 6th that's great too.

I was checking out the menu for Pho Please, and saw that they had a challenge on there..

I'm.. Um.. I'm very tempted. I can't resist challenges!

Also, when are we doing a meet-up? We've been completely slacking.

I just want to play Etrian on SF in person. Lel

Timeaisis

I was checking out the menu for Pho Please, and saw that they had a challenge on there..

I'm.. Um.. I'm very tempted. I can't resist challenges!

Also, when are we doing a meet-up? We've been completely slacking.

I just want to play Etrian on SF in person. Lel

I was thinking of doing some boardgaming this Friday. Anyone interested?

kai3345

Banned
Planned on going to Fantastic Fest but didn't want to buy tickets until I got my time off request approved.

Come in to work today and find my request has been approved, go to buy tickets - and as of today they've stopped selling them.

Uggggghhhhh I want to die ;_;

Now I have to find some other way to spend this 4 day vacation

Timeaisis

Speaking of which, there is a happening new place behind whataburger by parmer/mcneil that just opened and is frequently busy.

http://www.nerdstockgc.com/

next to little woodrows

Oh, this looks cool! I need to check it out some time.

Yes please! I got Secret Hitler in this week and I'm itching to break it in.

Yessss! I've been wanting to try that since the kickstarter..

Anyone else game? Maybe at Emerald Tavern like last time? Or anywhere, really. Probably somewhere in-between us all.
I live pretty far north, but am cool with hosting if necessary

Zoe

Planned on going to Fantastic Fest but didn't want to buy tickets until I got my time off request approved.

Come in to work today and find my request has been approved, go to buy tickets - and as of today they've stopped selling them.

Uggggghhhhh I want to die ;_;

Now I have to find some other way to spend this 4 day vacation

I'm already seeing for sale posts on Nextdoor.

Or you could just cancel your vacation request.

kai3345

Banned
I'll probably just buy individual tickets for the films I wanted to see. It may even end up being a cheaper solution. I was only going to spring for the Daytime pass anyway, so it's not like I would have been seeing the big films in the first place

Timeaisis

Any tips for ACL? I'm going week 2 and it'll be my first real festival given Levitation was cancelled ;-;

I like going early to listen to some of these lesser known bands. Some real gems in there, I tell you.

Other than than, stay hydrated, don't run around too much, and don't sweat it.

-------

Emerald Tavern this Friday at 8. Who all's down?

I like going early to listen to some of these lesser known bands. Some real gems in there, I tell you.

-------

Nnnooooo, I'm already going to the Paramount to see William Shatner and Wrath of Khan :X

trilobyte

Any long term Austinites know of a good local credit union? I know about UFCU, but I wonder if there are better options. Specially in regards to money market and CD rates.

Zoe

Any long term Austinites know of a good local credit union? I know about UFCU, but I wonder if there are better options. Specially in regards to money market and CD rates.

Why bother? Just get a savings account with Ally--1% and your money doesn't get locked up.

I've had UFCU for 16 years. No complaints here.

Timeaisis

Let's do it! #MeetupCrew

Yeaaaaaaaah

Nnnooooo, I'm already going to the Paramount to see William Shatner and Wrath of Khan :X

Ah, well. We'll have another. You could always come by afterwards if we are still at it.

Also, I invited some friends to fill it out if we only have limited GAF attendance. I know it's illegal to mix GAF with IRL but you gotta do what you gotta do to play Secret Hitler, y'all.

trilobyte

Why bother? Just get a savings account with Ally--1% and your money doesn't get locked up.

I've had UFCU for 16 years. No complaints here.

I'm still debating it. I still feel online banks are shaky and I like the option to go into a branch; also I've used a for-profit bank for several years and the experience has left a bad taste in my mouth.

fuzzyset

Yeaaaaaaaah

Ah, well. We'll have another. You could always come by afterwards if we are still at it.

Also, I invited some friends to fill it out if we only have limited GAF attendance. I know it's illegal to mix GAF with IRL but you gotta do what you gotta do to play Secret Hitler, y'all.

Were you guys playing Secret Hitler last Friday as well? I was there with my roommates and there was a table of folks playing near the back.

StoOgE

I can't sing the praises of Otoko and Watertrade enough.

It's weird that Austin has gotten so upscale so quickly.

I've eaten at Sushi Iwa in Tokyo, Masa in NYC as well as Momufuku Ko.

I would put Otoko below Iwa and Masa in the sushi department, but above Ko in the playful takes on Japanese cuisine department. And honestly, the Sushi is close to Masa (though not Iwa).

It is right up there with Eleven Madison/Per Se/Iwa for favorite meal experience, and far far better than several hot new places I've been outside of Austin (lazy bear in SF is totally over-rated dinner theater masquerading as a fine dining establishment).

StoOgE

-------

My wife is out of town... I might try and make it.

I also own a board game company!

StoOgE

And Austin is getting a Suit Supply in the Domain.

It was my go to suit when I worked in NYC. Like 400-600 for a really high quality suit. Also, a really clean look for younger people (tailored, short jackets, etc)

StoOgE

Stooge, how long have you had that avatar? I feel i am the only one that posts that full picture as a reaction gif to a lot of posts on this forum. The idea that something is so absurd that it would ironically make a woman and duck stop fucking for a second to react in horror is hilarious to me.

At least 6 years? I used to have an animated Howard the Duck avatar that I lost a while back. I've used some variation of Howard the Duck since at least 2000.

/is old

Top Bottom