• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autechre |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silverside is indeed my favourite track off Amber. Those synth strings are layered wonderfully. Definitely for its day, utterly ahead of its time meshing those gravelly, snarling effects into the lush melody.

Especially when there's that awesome elevated snarl that curls up then descends back into the morass at 3:30. Gets me every time.

Kraftwerk

Random thoughts;

JAZZ HANDS

How does one even conceive this? When the piano bit started I was walking. I actually had to stop and let my brain absord what just happened. To go from the depths of space to a jazz lounge AND THEN fusing them together.

GODDAMN.

Antagon

Kraftwerk said:
Random thoughts;

JAZZ HANDS

How does one even conceive this? When the piano bit started I was walking. I actually had to stop and let my brain absord what just happened. To go from the depths of space to a jazz lounge AND THEN fusing them together.

GODDAMN.

I've had times where I couldn't even remember how I got where I was after walking with Autechre on. Kinda scary thinking about it...

Bump!

Finally got around to listening to a beat up copy of LP5 I got at a record store some months ago-- fuckin' A it's good. very nice bass on this vinyl (compared to Chiastic Slide, which I felt has somewhat disappointing bass.)

gonna try to get Amber on LP, but it's pricey.

Smision said:
Bump!

Finally got around to listening to a beat up copy of LP5 I got at a record store some months ago-- fuckin' A it's good. very nice bass on this vinyl (compared to Chiastic Slide, which I felt has somewhat disappointing bass.)

gonna try to get Amber on LP, but it's pricey.

Great to hear! I must admit, I've never heard any ae on vinyl, which might seem like a travesty. Chiastic Slide would have been an interesting one...it's got such a diesel engine feel to the surgical finesse of LP5.

Hope some other folks come back to the thread for a yarn. OH, that reminds me.

Youtube mash-up of edited Gantz Graf vs. Suzumiya Haruhi or whatever the silly name is. Anime redeemed.

EDIT: I can't believe it's almost been ten years since the Gantz Graf EP was released. The title track still sounds like something so utterly cutting edge. For those who want to hear the full version, here you are.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Great to hear! I must admit, I've never heard any ae on vinyl, which might seem like a travesty. Chiastic Slide would have been an interesting one...it's got such a diesel engine feel to the surgical finesse of LP5.

Hope some other folks come back to the thread for a yarn. OH, that reminds me.

Youtube mash-up of edited Gantz Graf vs. Suzumiya Haruhi or whatever the silly name is. Anime redeemed.

Not a huge travesty, sometimes music sounds better on it, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes there's not much difference. The first track of Chiastic Slide sounds a bit more anemic on vinyl for some reason. The rest of the album sounds pretty great though.

LP5 sounds great all the way through. Most of their early stuff is OOP and expensive though. Warp needs to get on some serious Autechre, Boards of Canada, and Aphex Twin reprints. They are sitting on a lot of money...I don't think I know a single person who isn't on the hunt for 90s/early 00s warp LPs.

Smision said:
Not a huge travesty, sometimes music sounds better on it, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes there's not much difference. The first track of Chiastic Slide sounds a bit more anemic on vinyl for some reason. The rest of the album sounds pretty great though.

LP5 sounds great all the way through. Most of their early stuff is OOP and expensive though. Warp needs to get on some serious Autechre, Boards of Canada, and Aphex Twin reprints. They are sitting on a lot of money...I don't think I know a single person who isn't on the hunt for 90s/early 00s warp LPs.

And let's face it, what a time for electronica. Full of awesomeness and curiosities. Mix tapes, MD releases, unreleased or bootlegged remixes...the era garnered a certain type of fan, that's for sure.

Smision said:

This is why I refuse to buy BoC and Aphex on vinyl for crazy prices, since it's only a matter of time before they're repressed. Especially after the warehouse fire during the London riots.

Pylon_Trooper said:
And let's face it, what a time for electronica. Full of awesomeness and curiosities. Mix tapes, MD releases, unreleased or bootlegged remixes...the era garnered a certain type of fan, that's for sure.

yep, i'm still pretty hooked on it. and why not? it still sounds "new" to most people. I love telling people Music Has the Right to Children came out in 1998. and it'll be another 100 years before anyone catches up to Aphex Twin.

The Interrobanger said:
This is why I refuse to buy BoC and Aphex on vinyl for crazy prices, since it's only a matter of time before they're repressed. Especially after the warehouse fire during the London riots.

what's this about a warehouse fire? they looted warp? rioters had good taste...

Jake.

i have never understood the praise behind the gantz graf video...can someone explain it to me? i've always thought it fucking sucked/was boring.

Kraftwerk

Jake. said:
i have never understood the praise behind the gantz graf video...can someone explain it to me? i've always thought it fucking sucked/was boring.

HD

It's a perfect example - and a benchmark - for what I call beautiful chaos. Yes, it sounds lame and cliche, but this video is a symbol for bringing sound and visuals together in perfect harmony. If you watch it, you will see that the synchronization is so goddamn perfect.

Here is a another example of a video doing the same thing:

watch

Star Guitar is definitely approachable by more people, but it still contains the same amount of richness. Again, perfect harmony of sound and visuals. I remember showing it to someone once, and they said "Well, that was boring...a train ride for 4 minutes, and nothing happened in it. Where is the story?"

That was the story; bringing together everything. The building, light posts, trucks and every atom in that video was telling you a story. it's not always about actions of characters. I can watch hat video 100 times in a row and never get bored. Every time it seems fresh and mindblowing.

Apologies if I got a little flowery, music makes me talk weird :D

To coincide with the announcement thread, I may as well drop a pinch of tinder on the embers of this quietly smouldering thread - for discussions' sake.

As an update, new Autechre in March, 2013.

krYlon

Great work on this thread Pylon.

Can't wait for Exai.

What are people's thoughts and expectations? I want it to be something completely new, something unimaginable. As much as I like Oversteps, I haven't felt that way about an album since Untilted. I'm ready for my world to be blown apart.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Autechre. Fucking godly. One of my favorite groups. Otherworldly, bleak, cold like machinery. Amazing.

Used to fall asleep listening to Confield. Scary stuff. I think Incanabula remains my fav.

Their stuff is that kind of music where you're listening, and you realize the entire beat, sound, whatever has changed without you even realising it.

Surprised thread wasn't by umop...

krYlon

Untilted, Chiastic Slide, and Confield used to be my top three, but now I have to add Oversteps and Move of Ten to the list, somewhere. I also like Quadrange significantly more than Quaristice, and I'd rank that pretty high, too.

My least favorite overall is probably Draft 7.30 and Incunabula, but they're both still good, and Incunabula has 444 even though I find some of the rest kind of eh.

I have to say, your taste is eerily similar to mine. Although, my personal favourite from the Quaristice suite is Quaristice Versions.

Untilted is certainly my favourite. Found Quaristice more of an insight into their development process than an actual cohesive experience.

Exai? Well...who knows!? Whatever it ends up being, they are the only artists to have me palpably excited in anticipation.

I've only heard the albums up through LP5. Should get caught up since they're awesome.

Chiastic Slide is my favorite album, unless you include the bonus disc of Tri Repetae++ in which case it wins handily. Second Peng off that could be on the soundtrack to a new Metroid, but only if the game happened to be absolutely terrifying.

I've only heard the albums up through LP5. Should get caught up since they're awesome.

Chiastic Slide is my favorite album, unless you include the bonus disc of Tri Repetae++ in which case it wins handily. Second Peng off that could be on the soundtrack to a new Metroid, but only if the game happened to be absolutely terrifying.

Vletrmx, in all its simplicity, is incredible gear. Vast as anything I've ever heard.

The Plaid remix was utterly Plaid and terrifically playful, but the original?...man. Breathless.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I listen to a lot of autechre, theyre one of my favorite bands, but since i always listen on my portable i miss the track titles. ALWAYS, even after like 6 years. my favorite track is absolutely Tilapia though. And the anti ep is probably one of their best. also, AEP is the initials of the first girl i ever fell in love with, so the cover that is turquoise and pink with her initials on it are very sentimental to me.

fabulous duo

krYlon

Tilapia and vletermx both great tracks. Vletrmx is really one to get the hairs standing on the back of your neck. I also love bronchusevenmx.

Garbage overall is probably my second favourite ep after Envane. Love Goz Quarter.

I'm just listening to this now, I'm on vekoS (which is pretty rad by the way), I'm really enjoying this so far.

edit:
bladelores !
And as an example I actually think that so far exai has a pretty distinct style or identity. I find it really hard to pin down, and it's not quite as distinct as Oversteps/Move of Ten, but I couldn't see them doing this at an earlier point either, if this makes sense.

edit2:
I've liked every track so far on first listen, does this mean I've gained a level or something? Half of the fun with Autechre is going back and listening to tracks that were "eugh horrible" and having them suddenly become the best thing you've ever heard.

At work, but goddamn...this will require some serious discussion with aeGAF. Exai feels like a vast retrospective...need to listen again.

And again.

And again.

I love it.

I'm just listening to this now, I'm on vekoS (which is pretty rad by the way), I'm really enjoying this so far.

edit:
bladelores !
And as an example I actually think that so far exai has a pretty distinct style or identity. I find it really hard to pin down, and it's not quite as distinct as Oversteps/Move of Ten, but I couldn't see them doing this at an earlier point either, if this makes sense.

edit2:
I've liked every track so far on first listen, does this mean I've gained a level or something? Half of the fun with Autechre is going back and listening to tracks that were "eugh horrible" and having them suddenly become the best thing you've ever heard.

As mused above, this is a really tough album to place, because there's some really clever callbacks to older sounds in the ae progression. Not as wildly abrasive as Untilted, more subtle than Oversteps/Move of Ten...

I dunno, it's fantastic, but like all post-LP5 ae, you've got to let the release stew in your head for a bit - and as you said, this is really interesting, because I feel we don't need to unlock tracks here on Exai. It feels like Booth and Brown made this as some sort of cumulative effort in taking stock of all releases up until now.

It works. It works beautifully.

krYlon

Exai. Wow. Definitely the spaciest album they've released in a long while. And I love it.

Not sure I entirely agree with those saying that it sounds like a retrospective of all their earlier work. It feels like a natural progression from the last three releases to me, only more subtle and refined.
It is varied, so maybe that's why.
And yet it does have a very distinct sound and style running throughout, like every ae album.

Can't wait to listen to it more and uncover its hidden depths and secrets.

Peru

I can't say I listen to the last two albums much anymore, while Untilted remains in heavy rotation and possibly as my favorite Autechre album. It felt so driven, self-sure, in your face loud and funky.

This new one. Two listens in. Pretty sure I like it a lot more than the last two. Doesn't necessarily feel like one cohesive album, so I get the 'retrospective' reactions, although I'm not sure it really calls on their discography like that. But it's true that they're doing some more ambient stuff, and "irlite" sounds like it's from Chiastic Slide. Several big impressive tracks here, let's see how it settles after spending some quality time with it.

Warms the heart to read so much love for Untilted.

Don't take my retrospective call too literally...I think it stemmed from an evocation of older track compositions and a few classic 'sounds' and arrangements. It's very much its own thing.

Ah, each album is pretty much an event.

I met both guys 12 years ago, smoked a spliff after a concert in France, fantastic people just crazy enough.

I am not sure about the albums after LP5 though.

krYlon

Aren't their albums consistently high rated and good?

I would say so but many don't like their post LP5 stuff. Many don't even like their post Tri Repetae stuff.
This thread seems to have fans of all eras of ae though, which is cool.

krYlon

Yeah, I get the gescom vibe. It always seemed to me that gescom releases were more relaxed, chilled.
I feel that way with this album. They're not trying too hard or trying to prove anything with this one. It sounds like they just kicked back, enjoyed the process.

I guess they're older now, more mature. They are in complete control of what they are doing.

krYlon

deco Loc sounds like a cross between gescom and VHS Head.
recks on sounds like a cross between ep7 (netlon sentinel especially) and Com Truise.

Not sure either really fit the vibe of the album but they're great nonetheless.

I understand what you mean with the call backs/references to previous work now Pylon. The start of spl9 sounds familiar too.

The first half of the second disc by the way is just incredible. I found myself laughing through most of it, listening this afternoon, because I couldn't quite believe what I was hearing. I've never done that before, not even with Autechre.

I've devoted the last half hour just to listening to bladelores...I mean, that synth!

Going to have to kick off another ae discography listen over the course of a week during the drives to and from work...from Cavity Job to Exai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom