• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autechre |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miff

This might be as good a place as any to ask, but which albums would you recommend for a newbie to get into Autechre?

Generally their earlier albums are more accessible (Amber is a nice one to start with), but their style has become more advanced / intricate over the years. With more recent albums you might find that there's too much going on for it to click right away.

Exai has a good mixture of tracks that span all styles, worth checking out but don't be put off if a couple of the tracks sound too abrasive as there's quite a few calmer efforts on there too.

Generally their earlier albums are more accessible (Amber is a nice one to start with), but their style has become more advanced / intricate over the years. With more recent albums you might find that there's too much going on for it to click right away.

Exai has a good mixture of tracks that span all styles, worth checking out but don't be put off if a couple of the tracks sound too abrasive as there's quite a few calmer efforts on there too.

Try LP5 or Amber. Maybe even Exai if you're feeling adventurous.

Chiastic Slide is what got me hooked. It's challenging but still approachable. And really fucking good.

Yeah, Chiastic Slide or Trirepetae would be my suggestion. Or Cichlisuite EP.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give all of those a listen. Autechre are one of the few "IDM legacy" acts I haven't yet given a chance too, so this is just remedying that situation. Thanks, everyone!

8bit

Knows the Score
God, I hate buying digital music. Needs to be like Steam. Make a goddamned store that gives you all of the file types you want with unlimited downloads, all for one price.

Just noticed it's got a Warp catalogue number so holding off on pulling the trigger in case there's physical.

jorgeton

Anyone make it through all 4 hours yet? haha

I'm just getting through part 1, and it's pretty great. A good mix of their more abstract side, with a more rhythmic side. Been bopping my head to it.

Anyone make it through all 4 hours yet? haha

I'm just getting through part 1, and it's pretty great. A good mix of their more abstract side, with a more rhythmic side. Been bopping my head to it.

I've gotten through about half of it and man, they are from another dimension. Mindblowing stuff.

eastre ♥

I am loving it so far, they're back to a sort of stark simplicity that I found a bit lacking in Exai. Minimal autechre are usually the more emotionally expressive autechre for me.

mesh cinereaL...

I'm halfway through and I think it is already one of my favourite autechre albums. I liked Exai a lot, but it admittedly never clicked with me quite like Oversteps did. elseq seems to draw from quite a bit of the sound design of Exai, but I think it shows a bit more restraint, and also has a much cleaner and sharper timbre overall, both of which work really well for me personally alongside autechre's distinctive style.

jorgeton

So I'm liking this a whole lot more than Exai. For it being 4 hours long, it's pretty easy to get into (as far as Autechre albums go). It's also impressive how consistent the whole thing is, there are clear highlights but nothing bad or terrible.

My top tracks right now:

feed1
pendulu hv moda
curvcaten (the last 3 minutes hit hard)
eastre
mesh cinereal
latentcall

This list will def change as there is other great stuff on here, but this is what stands out right now.

nin1000

Banned
Bought the album the past weekend and been working on it since the last couple of days.

Latentcall man...... This song just blew my mind so hard..and still is.

disco

Newbie here, sort of.

So I have known of Autechre for years as they came from near where I grew up but something has always stopped me from attempting to get into them...

However, I am a huge Drexciya/Dopplereffekt/Ectomorph fan, as well as all of the imitative Dutch stuff, bits of AFX, Dan Bell might be comparable? I dunno...

Anyways, when I listen to little bits on YT I just hear either jungle/d'n'b or spatial experimental with seemingly little critical awareness.

Can someone point me in the direction of an entry point from my existing interests where I could get into Autechre?

Osla

Neo Member
Oh wow I didn't know there was an ae Ot here :O Been following them since just before Confield.

Newbie here, sort of.

So I have known of Autechre for years as they came from near where I grew up but something has always stopped me from attempting to get into them...

However, I am a huge Drexciya/Dopplereffekt/Ectomorph fan, as well as all of the imitative Dutch stuff, bits of AFX, Dan Bell might be comparable? I dunno...

Anyways, when I listen to little bits on YT I just hear either jungle/d'n'b or spatial experimental with seemingly little critical awareness.

Can someone point me in the direction of an entry point from my existing interests where I could get into Autechre?

Actually elseq might be a good fit, although it is four hours... 1st elseq EP sounds a bit industrial. 4 and 5 contain great melodies on top of that.

I'd suggest LP5 for the more compact (relatively) and accessible experience. Arch Carrier from that is a succinct epic.

disco

Oh wow I didn't know there was an ae Ot here :O Been following them since just before Confield.

Actually elseq might be a good fit, although it is four hours... 1st elseq EP sounds a bit industrial. 4 and 5 contain great melodies on top of that.

I'd suggest LP5 for the more compact (relatively) and accessible experience. Arch Carrier from that is a succinct epic.

Ah brilliant. Thank you!

nin1000

Banned

As soon as you have worked your way through elseq 1 (which is great aswell but just hard) its a lot more listenable.

Amber is always a great way to start and from then to oversteps.

Osla

Neo Member
As soon as you have worked your way through elseq 1 (which is great aswell but just hard) its a lot more listenable.

Amber is always a great way to start and from then to oversteps.

Those are the most melodic ones for sure.

Actually elseq 2 is probably the driest sounding EP of the new release in my opion, expecially the first track. Once you get to 3 it's sublime.

Dan-o

not elseq tho...

Sounds like it'll never happen, but never say never!

Anyway, my copies of these the first three albums showed up this week. I can't wait to dive in again. I really hope this means re-releases for all the remaining albums at some point. Never did manage to snag LP5, Quaristice, or Oversteps on vinyl yet, not to mention a bunch of the EPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom