• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

kagete

Just bought the GTI SE in midnight blue. Gorgeous car. It is still at the dealership due to minor paint damage that I wanted them to touch up on but I am super psyched. It was ~24800 before taxes and fees.

Jealous. I'm still torn between one and the Civic hatchback. My wife is absolutely against the VW though. I will live vicariously through you! Grace us with pics when you can.

Also, did you get the DCT and driver assistance package?

friday

It was! I thought it looked boring from videos but once I got going with it I started to love the fast sweepers. When you finally nail a 90mph entry into turn 3 it's the best feeling in the world.

From what I have been told, it's a very high skill track. Learning to ride the line of trying to go as fast as possible in those long sweepers sounds intimidating. There is a sweeper at AMP that is 4th gear and flat out in my car, tons of fun.

Congrats🙌🙌🙌🙌 did you get the dct or manual?

Thanks! And I went with DCT.

Jealous. I'm still torn between one and the Civic hatchback. My wife is absolutely against the VW though. I will live vicariously through you! Grace us with pics when you can.

Also, did you get the DCT and driver assistance package?

DCT and no drivers assistance. The cars on the lot did not have that as an option.

As mentioned, I currently drive an 08 Altima. Took the GTI for a test drive on the highway the difference was incredible. In the Altima, when I hit 60 or so, I would feel the car jerk as it shifted. In the GTI, I was waiting for that to happen and it never did. Looked at the speedometer and I was at 85. It was insane.

I'm not a "car guy" at all but I could not believe the difference. This will be a fun ride for sure.

v1lla21

DCT and no drivers assistance. The cars on the lot did not have that as an option.

As mentioned, I currently drive an 08 Altima. Took the GTI for a test drive on the highway the difference was incredible. In the Altima, when I hit 60 or so, I would feel the car jerk as it shifted. In the GTI, I was waiting for that to happen and it never did. Looked at the speedometer and I was at 85. It was insane.

I'm not a "car guy" at all but I could not believe the difference. This will be a fun ride for sure.
Wait till break in period is over and you start hitting second gear when compared to the altima. Lol.

BTW, anyone in the bay area going to wekfest in June? Might go for the first time this year. Heard the line gets crazy long though.

kagete

Nice. I'm not a car guy either. I have a 40 mile commute with 95% highway and bad traffic only 10% of the time going home. Altimas are generally average or above average for highway cruising already. Did you feel the GTI was rough or jarring on the highway?

Bandit1

Thanks! My girlfriend asked me why I took the 911 instead of the 944 track car, and I told her it was because of the noise (really it's 50% noise and 50% not wanting to rent a trailer). And for driving in the wet it's surprisingly stable. Getting it turned in requires some trail-braking and some effort, but once in a corner holds a line very well with steady throttle. The only problem was getting power down while tracking out from apex, not because it would slip a lot, but if it got more than a little bit out of line it was very difficult to recover from. Had a few white-knuckle sideways moments out of corners and one spin--once it gets going it's a hard fight to bring it back in.

Harder was corner entry in the dry. Trail-braking can get you great turn-in there but slightly too much steering input while braking and WHAM spin. Had a great on-track 360 that thankfully I caught on gopro, but a lot of the time it was just brake-turn-countersteer-turn-countersteer-poop pants.

Oh, and not to mention hitting standing water at 100mph and spinning the rear tires! Exciting!

It was! I thought it looked boring from videos but once I got going with it I started to love the fast sweepers. When you finally nail a 90mph entry into turn 3 it's the best feeling in the world.

Sounds like some white-knuckle driving for sure! I've never driven one, but I'd heard that the older 911s could be a handful. Looking forward to the GoPro footage.

matmanx1

Definitely think people will be sleeping on the Si. Vit found that the base 1.5T was making Si level power and torque, so the Si will be higher.

Even at listed torque, I think it will surprise a lot of people.

Yeah I think the Si is going to be better then people are expecting. I expect it to be the best Si Honda has put out in a couple of generations and I believe it has the potential (along with the Type R) to put Honda back on the map when it comes to thinking about a fun performance car for not a lot of cash.

Malvolio

Congrats on the purchase. The GTI is absolutely one of the best cars per dollar I've driven. It beat my expectations not only during hard driving, but also on tame highway cruising. Add in the amazing cargo space and it's tough to beat as an all around package.

Is there any way to keep headlights from yellowing or hazing AFTER removing the oxidation?

I used some Rain-X headlight restorer and it did a pretty damn good job but that sheen goes away pretty quickly

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Is there any way to keep headlights from yellowing or hazing AFTER removing the oxidation?

I used some Rain-X headlight restorer and it did a pretty damn good job but that sheen goes away pretty quickly

You have to do a film cover over them, since the factory layer has deteriorated to the point of hazing. When you unhaze your lights, you have removed all UV protection off of them, as well. Essentially the light's clear coat, if you will. Now it needs to be protected and a clear film is the best way to do that.

You have to do a film cover over them, since the factory layer has deteriorated to the point of hazing. When you unhaze your lights, you have removed all UV protection off of them, as well. Essentially the light's clear coat, if you will. Now it needs to be protected and a clear film is the best way to do that.

Hmm, I thought there might be a polish that could recoat the headlight.

Another thing-- I've noticed sometimes that my car takes a while to turn on. It *feels* like the battery is dead but after a few tries it usually turns on. I replaced the battery like 2-3 years ago so I don't really know what's wrong. It only does this sometimes. Most of the time it turns on easily.

AlphaSnake

Another thing-- I've noticed sometimes that my car takes a while to turn on. It *feels* like the battery is dead but after a few tries it usually turns on. I replaced the battery like 2-3 years ago so I don't really know what's wrong. It only does this sometimes. Most of the time it turns on easily.

Could be a fuel sending issue. Fuel pump. Injectors. Lots of variables. Record a video of the issue for a better diagnosis.

Back to the headlight: polishes dry up in the sun and headlights and lenses are also very hot, for obvious reasons. So it will all come right back. You can try a glass coating, but it won't last a whole lot longer. Again, a simple pre-cut clear wrap (you can usually buy them on eBay) will do the trick. It should take no longer than 10 mins to do on each side for even a novice.

What car is it again?

Could be a fuel sending issue. Fuel pump. Injectors. Lots of variables. Record a video of the issue for a better diagnosis.

Back to the headlight: polishes dry up in the sun and headlights and lenses are also very hot, for obvious reasons. So it will all come right back. You can try a glass coating, but it won't last a whole lot longer. Again, a simple pre-cut clear wrap (you can usually buy them on eBay) will do the trick. It should take no longer than 10 mins to do on each side for even a novice.

What car is it again?

06 Acura RSX

AlphaSnake

06 Acura RSX

When a battery is dead you either get a faint tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic or absolutely nothing. If the battery is on the cusp of being just below the necessary voltage needed to get enough crank out of the starter motor, yes it will turn the motor a little bit, but the turns will be slow and get slower after about 2 seconds. Is that what you get? Or is just a consistent-speed turn with the car refusing to start? And you have to take the key out, back in, and try again?

If the turns are consistent and not slow, your battery is fine. So if all you hear is the winding of the starter nonstop, it's all good there and your issue may be fuel or spark related.

boltz

Spring has finally come to the mountains!

Now to get her dirty all over again :)

Nice, I just got mine all dirty on a gravel road :)

The Fiesta itself is still fun to drive:
632D5898-1BDD-4E33-A74B-C02D8CE64BDA.jpg

Cool, are you happy with it stock?

I took the 911 to Roebling Road yesterday! I have some GoPro footage as well, but in the meantime, enjoy!

https://youtu.be/OGAZaFncXzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k-pczEzrJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVBUDe88x7c

Awesome, I need to get back out on the track!

Just bought the '17 GTI SE in midnight blue. Gorgeous car. It is still at the dealership due to minor paint damage that I wanted them to touch up on but I am super psyched. It was ~24800 before taxes and fees.

Congrats, quite a few folks here have Golfs now. And that's a pretty darn good price!

Yeah I think the Si is going to be better then people are expecting. I expect it to be the best Si Honda has put out in a couple of generations and I believe it has the potential (along with the Type R) to put Honda back on the map when it comes to thinking about a fun performance car for not a lot of cash.

Me too, since the base 1.5L model is pretty solid, but folks are too fixated on the hp number. Only problem is that I'm not a fan of the new Civic sedan or coupe bodystyles.

To be sure, check the voltage. If you don't have a multimeter, take it to an auto parts store to have them check it for free. It's not unheard of for car batteries to fail after a few years.

AlphaSnake

Is it me or does it look like an Infiniti Q60 and Maserati GranTurismo mashup? :\

When a battery is dead you either get a faint tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic or absolutely nothing. If the battery is on the cusp of being just below the necessary voltage needed to get enough crank out of the starter motor, yes it will turn the motor a little bit, but the turns will be slow and get slower after about 2 seconds. Is that what you get? Or is just a consistent-speed turn with the car refusing to start? And you have to take the key out, back in, and try again?

If the turns are consistent and not slow, your battery is fine. So if all you hear is the winding of the starter nonstop, it's all good there and your issue may be fuel or spark related.

Yeah it definitely gives a tic-tic-tic sound...like it's just trying but can't turn

AlphaSnake

Yeah it definitely gives a tic-tic-tic sound...like it's just trying but can't turn

Then it's most likely the battery. Even 3 years for some batteries is a long time. Also depends on your commutes - if they are short, the battery doesn't cycle and charge properly and dies faster. If they're long, batteries will last much longer. Likewise, if the car is used infrequently, it's also bad for the battery.

I'd take it to AutoZone and have them test it.

Then it's most likely the battery. Even 3 years for some batteries is a long time. Also depends on your commutes - if they are short, the battery doesn't cycle and charge properly and dies faster. If they're long, batteries will last much longer. Likewise, if the car is used infrequently, it's also bad for the battery.

I'd take it to AutoZone and have them test it.

Hmm yeah I guess that makes sense-- for the past two year my commute to my job has been like...3 minutes lol

AlphaSnake

Hmm yeah I guess that makes sense-- for the past two year my commute to my job has been like...3 minutes lol

Oh, well there you go. You need to keep a battery booster at home or in the car, since that's the case. Keep it charged at all times. When your battery is a bit flat, just place the charger on the battery and give it a quick boost.

witness

Holy crap, I had no idea that motorweek has hundreds of retro reviews on there YouTube going back decades! Some of this shit is amazing and hilarious. I know what I'll be watching this long weekend.

8 series looks stellar. Given BMW's track record of "concepts" for announced production vehicles, the final form should look almost exactly like it.

AlphaSnake

Jaguar are your Gods.

XE SV-Project 8: 592HP. 300 car production. AWD

Look at that width on the front and back quarters! Look at that front bumper, splitter, and those skirts. And the new bulging hood.

1_jaguar_xe_sv_p8_05.jpg

jaguar_xe_sv_p8_01.jpg

jaguar_xe_sv_p8_02.jpg

:bowdown

This is basically just the beginning. This will eventually lead to a full production XE-R with 510HP-545HP.

Allegedly, the Project 8 has secured the lap record for fastest 4-door sedan from Alfa Romeo, already.

v1lla21

Mmm that jaguar looks fucking amazing. I also saw that article about the volvo s60 polestar and I'm pleasantly surprised at how nice it looks. Plus that twin-charge is pretty awesome.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Jaguar are your Gods.

XE SV-Project 8: 592HP. 300 car production. AWD

Look at that width on the front and back quarters! Look at that front bumper, splitter, and those skirts. And the new bulging hood.

1_jaguar_xe_sv_p8_05.jpg

jaguar_xe_sv_p8_01.jpg

jaguar_xe_sv_p8_02.jpg

:bowdown

This is basically just the beginning. This will eventually lead to a full production XE-R with 510HP-545HP.

Allegedly, the Project 8 has secured the lap record for fastest 4-door sedan from Alfa Romeo, already.

What's the best guess on msrp?

TFW a beautiful FD RX-7 flies by you on the highway even though you probably be shouldn't be driving at that speeds.

Man...

I tried to chase him down but that thing was so fucking quick, there was no chance in hell I could chase him.

Recent Toyotas are just about the ugliest things on the road today. The current Camry and Corolla look like they were designed for a Transformers movie.

The new Honda Accord seems to be copying Toyota's turn towards the ugly too.

Futaba

Recent Toyotas are just about the ugliest things on the road today. The current Camry and Corolla look like they were designed for a Transformers movie.

Yeah, whats with that? It's like all of their designers all discovered non-functional venting and vent-to-headlight merging all at the same time and decided to start using it for everything, literally the only iconic cars to come out of asia in the past ten years are the gtr, mx5 and 86

Somehow that drive towards fuel economy and comfort has lead to truly amazing cars becoming a rarity

Yeah, sadly their styling is pretty gaudy. I'd say Lexus is worse though.

Its a trend that quite a few manufacturers are doing.

AlphaSnake

Fucking bargain, looks amazing!

60k USD? Where do I sign up? That would be insane value.

Also, the new 8 series concept images look hideous. BMW don't know how to design good looking cars anymore.

Don't play with our feels, Alpha!

Jaguar's entire pricing model undercuts the competition by $2K minimum. A base model M3 can be had for $59,500 invoice. A Jaguar XE-R will be right around there, as well - but possibly as the starting MSRP.

This is just a rant, but I hate summer. I need to replace my front control arms and sway bar endlinks on the volvo, but its so hot outside. The only time I have shade is after about 1PM, but by then its already over 90°F. It's 2:30 now and its already 97 outside.
I'll probably try to do it this tomorrow or monday, but have to start at like 6AM. Sucks.

witness

Washed, claybar'd, and waxed the GLI for the first time today. Fucking exhausted in the 90 whatever degrees here in Florida today. At least I have a garage. The clay bar wasn't too bad for a car with 41k miles, only certain rough spots, so it must have been done relatively recently. Gotta get the windows tinted very soon, I don't know what kind of maniacs drove this thing around for 3 years in Florida with no tint. What kind of tint does everyone recommend? There's so many options to choose from....basically I need something with a lot of heat rejection, black leatherette seating gets fucking hot after work.

Top Bottom