• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

kagete

Washed, claybar'd, and waxed the GLI for the first time today. Fucking exhausted in the 90 whatever degrees here in Florida today. At least I have a garage. The clay bar wasn't too bad for a car with 41k miles, only certain rough spots, so it must have been done relatively recently. Gotta get the windows tinted very soon, I don't know what kind of maniacs drove this thing around for 3 years in Florida with no tint. What kind of tint does everyone recommend? There's so many options to choose from....basically I need something with a lot of heat rejection, black leatherette seating gets fucking hot after work.

I had carbon ceramic tint put on my wife's car. They allow down to 32% on the front windows and limo tint on the rears here in GA but we did only 50% up front. It seems good enough the past 2 summers we've had.

SliChillax

Went to Como today to attend Villa D'Este but found out it was invite only. Turns out there was another public event at Villa Erba for us mere mortals to gaze upon the cars of the gods. The place itself was amazing, saw some incredible rides in the city too. Can't wait to come back again next year. Here's some pics
ytFpTUY.jpg

lEumMkL.jpg

KYyVBl7.jpg

RgSYsvQ.jpg

VNnf0Rt.jpg

ockIyvz.jpg

8WC12bs.jpg

H9nIjnV.jpg

yY6bBKu.jpg

qVUJl7l.jpg

matmanx1

It's been an exhausting day but a fun one. Dad and I went and visited the Barber Motorsports Park and Vintage Museum in Birmingham, Al and it was really great. I'll post some pics tomorrow after I get some sleep.

GHG

Jaguar's entire pricing model undercuts the competition by $2K minimum. A base model M3 can be had for $59,500 invoice. A Jaguar XE-R will be right around there, as well - but possibly as the starting MSRP.

if Jaguar manage to offer a real V8 and AWD at that price point then the competition are screwed.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
if Jaguar manage to offer a real V8 and AWD at that price point then the competition are screwed.

I'd like to believe so, but we will see. Shoppers are too keen on ignoring a better car and paying more for a badge.

never not getting a clear bra for a car again.

really hated the idea of putting a plastic/vinyl cover on my car to cover the natural paint shine, but after over two years in this car, i've got far too many blemishes that bother me.

Well, I've narrowed down my next vehicle choices to a basically the Jag XE-R Sport, the S3, and the Giulia TI AWD Sport. I was initially leaning toward the S3 but the Audi experience thus far has left me not feeling very confident with it(Alpha had mentioned a few things a couple months ago that ran true) so I will likely be choosing between the Jag and the Alfa, with the latter being the leader currently in my preference.

But as I mentioned before, this will be my first sports luxury sedan, and I am not going to rush the decision.

AlphaSnake

Well, I've narrowed down my next vehicle choices to a basically the Jag XE-R Sport, the S3, and the Giulia TI AWD Sport. I was initially leaning toward the S3 but the Audi experience thus far has left me not feeling very confident with it(Alpha had mentioned a few things a couple months ago that ran true) so I will likely be choosing between the Jag and the Alfa, with the latter being the leader currently in my preference.

But as I mentioned before, this will be my first sports luxury sedan, and I am not going to rush the decision.

Just be very careful with buying an Alfa. Almost no dealer network, brand new car and platform can = lots of reliability issues and downtime.

Futaba

However many 2017 Viper ACR's were made, you can safely deduct one from the number that still exist, just passed half of one on its roof on the tomei expressway.

Was not pretty.

burgerdog

However many 2017 Viper ACR's were made, you can safely deduct one from the number that still exist, just passed half of one on its roof on the tomei expressway.

Was not pretty.

Half? Yikes hopefully everyone is okay.

In other news, Porsche is allowing dealer mark ups now. Good luck if you were trying to get a GT3/GT4!

AlphaSnake

I don't know about that. It wasn't that long ago that Jaguar had a reputation for always being at the shop.

Honestly, that rep ended in the 90s. Once the Ford-powered V6s came about with Ford transmissions (modified ZF boxes earlier on), regular maintenance saw these cars well past 100K miles. The Jaguar Drivers Club has members looking for S-Types and X-Types because they are little luxury gems that are reliable and very cheap to fix.

S-Type Rs are expensive, granted, but they are a performance bang for the buck if you find one in good shape. 2006+ XKs are pretty reliable by all accounts, and so were the 350 XJs. If you have a 70s-90s Jag, yeah you were pretty fucked. But reliability for them has come a long way.

BMWs and Audis are notorious for being unreliable cars, but people buy them because they have a perceived German 'prestige' to them here in the states.

Zyzyxxz

Went to Como today to attend Villa D'Este but found out it was invite only. Turns out there was another public event at Villa Erba for us mere mortals to gaze upon the cars of the gods. The place itself was amazing, saw some incredible rides in the city too. Can't wait to come back again next year. Here's some pics

Holy shit, is that THE M8 prototype that supposedly didn't exist?

matmanx1

Link to a shared folder for some pictures of my visit to Barber Motorsports Park and Vintage Museum on Saturday. If you are a motorcycle guy/gal or even just a gearhead this is a pretty awesome place.

https://goo.gl/photos/VJSpJP2w7VW5gAjk6

We went to tour the museum but they also had a sport bike race of some sort going on at the same time. The track is lovely and I would love to drive it and/or ride along for a hot lap (Porsche does a Sport Driving School at this track).

Just be very careful with buying an Alfa. Almost no dealer network, brand new car and platform can = lots of reliability issues and downtime.

Thanks dude

In your experience, with a smaller dealership network, is there more opportunity for the location to try and sell that much higher over MSRP? Or would someone trying to buy be able to drive down the price somewhat, as there would be more alternate manufacturer locations around(higher competition from a rival network)?

AlphaSnake

Thanks dude

In your experience, with a smaller dealership network, is there more opportunity for the location to try and sell that much higher over MSRP? Or would someone trying to buy be able to drive down the price somewhat, as there would be more alternate manufacturer locations around(higher competition from a rival network)?

They wouldn't be stupid enough to sell over MSRP. But it all depends on demand. If they see a lot of interest and orders in the Alfa, then it will be hard to get them down too far below MSRP.

TrueCar is a great indicator of where transactions are taking place based on location.

Blitzhex

Got my rs3 sedan, I'm one of the first in the world to get it delivered. Glacier white/Alu-optics, almost fully specced out, dealer left out stuff like ceramic brakes, drive assitance stuff and mag ride. The sport suspension is better anyway.

Car is mad fun and sounds absolutely monstrous.

Last edited:

matmanx1

If Alfa goes the same way that Fiat has gone then expect steep discounts sooner rather than later. The gearhead in me would like to see Alfa succeed and the Giulia be a great product for a long time to come but they have an uphill battle.

BMW has such great mindshare in the segment that many folks automatically think of them first but they are far from the only competition. Lexus still sells a good many IS vehicles and the Infiniti Q series aren't bad by any means and both have proven reliability and good resale value.

Got my rs3 sedan, I'm one of the first in the world to get it delivered. Glacier white/Alu-optics, almost fully specced out, dealer left out stuff like ceramic brakes, drive assitance stuff and mag ride. The sport suspension is better anyway.

Fuck yeah man, I love how the RS3 Sedan looks. Tell us more about driving it!

Evo X

Looks badass. Congrats.

burgerdog

Love it, that 5 cylinder engine seriously sounds awesome.

They wouldn't be stupid enough to sell over MSRP. But it all depends on demand. If they see a lot of interest and orders in the Alfa, then it will be hard to get them down too far below MSRP.

TrueCar is a great indicator of where transactions are taking place based on location.

I saw one dealership's website listing for about 9k over the MSRP of the type I was looking at. But I'm gonna see what happens when I go into the dealership itself. For reference, there are only 4 Alfa locations in my city.

I tried TrueCar, but it only seems to work on the 5 digit US zipcodes.

Let's start a mid-life crisis GAF club!

We have blackjack and hookers! And if you drive a 4 door sedan you can't participate in the club!

Semi-kidding aside, lmao those poor sods. I just can't help but feel sad for those folks, jealousy is a bitch.

GHG

Love it, looks great. Good to see another person living in Dubai here.

Did Al Nabooda give you the opportunity to spec it out or was it as case of "this is what we have, pick one"? It annoys me that they commonly leave out stuff like the magnetic ride. Was it cheaper or more expensive than the hatchback version?

I want to see what they will be getting here for the new TT-RS but I worry about how they will spec them and the mark up.

Blitzhex

Love it, looks great. Good to see another person living in Dubai here.

Did Al Nabooda give you the opportunity to spec it out or was it as case of "this is what we have, pick one"? It annoys me that they commonly leave out stuff like the magnetic ride. Was it cheaper or more expensive than the hatchback version?

I want to see what they will be getting here for the new TT-RS but I worry about how they will spec them and the mark up.

The sedans come preconfigured every year, 10 cars a year or so, but the sportback you can spec out takes 6-8 months to deliver. The sedan is more expensive.
I heard them saying the TT RS isn't coming to dubai, not too sure about that. The mark up at audi isn't as bad as gargash or agmc though.

They left out matrix lights and the cool looking diamond stitched sport seats (manual) for the boring looking automatic seats. I'll live though, seats are comfy and the car is a beast.

AlphaSnake

The S2000 thread is very clearly full of tons of haters with jealousy running in their veins.

If you ask those same people about framerate, or latency on TVs, they'd go apeshit trying to explain about why it matters. I'd dig into some of those account's post history, but I can't be bothered to care.

AlphaSnake

Anyone? I don't want to make a thread and get bullied like the S2000 guy. Any other car recommendations for 20K or less would also be appreciated.

We've got a lot of Challenger/SRT/Hellcat owners here. Give them some time to see the thread. Also, the giant/large sized pictures loading are probably throwing some folks off and making them scroll through the page quick.

If you ask those same people about framerate, or latency on TVs, they'd go apeshit trying to explain about why it matters. I'd dig into some of those account's post history, but I can't be bothered to care.

Basement dwellers in a nutshell.

Where's that picture of a basement with a picture of some Nintendo figurehead on a frame? That's essentially what all those haters are.

GHG

The sedans come preconfigured every year, 10 cars a year or so, but the sportback you can spec out takes 6-8 months to deliver. The sedan is more expensive.
I heard them saying the TT RS isn't coming to dubai, not too sure about that. The mark up at audi isn't as bad as gargash or agmc though.

They left out matrix lights and the cool looking diamond stitched sport seats (manual) for the boring looking automatic seats. I'll live though, seats are comfy and the car is a beast.

The prospect of the TT RS not coming to Dubai makes me sad. I know they really struggled to sell the last TT RS here but I didn't know it was bad enough for them to consider not selling the new model at all. With that said I'm sure I'd be able to get one on special order if I really wanted one. Ford do something similar with the Mustang 350 here (which is another car I'm looking at but I know for sure that selling on a manual car here will be a nightmare) in that it's not "officially" available but if you ask the right guys a the dealership they can get one on order for you, with "GCC specs" to boot.

Interesting about the mark up though, they might have changed a bit since I last dealt with them a couple of years ago when we were looking at the Q3 for my wife. There was an insane mark up on it at the time - they were asking for 180k AED. Ended up getting her a Tiguan from VW which was essentially the same car minus the mark up.

Anyone? I don't want to make a thread and get bullied like the S2000 guy. Any other car recommendations for 20K or less would also be appreciated.

The only thing I can say is that I did a ton of research prior to getting my 2016 Charger 5.7 R/T and by all accounts the hemi engines are reliable, bulletproof even some might say. It's everything else you've got to look out for though. A well maintained one shouldn't give you too many issues but you can never be sure. Whatever you do take it somewhere you can trust for a pre-purchase inspection.

The S2000 thread is very clearly full of tons of haters with jealousy running in their veins.

The hilarious thing is that LyleLanley was obviously trolling but all these people thought he was being serious and tried to like pile on or whatever it is they do here on GAF

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I finally got sick of gas station air pumps with broken and vague pressure guages and short hoses and bought an automatic pump (12v) after I got a terrifying tps warning at the top of a mountain pass

Anyone else used one of these? Did I just waste $40?

i have in the past but they just seem too noisy and slow. Now I juts use my bicycle floor pump, since it has a pump head with both schreader and presta valves. I get a workout and pump my tires! I use a larger volume pump to for topping off my car tires, it takes like 10-20 pumps.

AlphaSnake

I finally got sick of gas station air pumps with broken and vague pressure guages and short hoses and bought an automatic pump (12v) after I got a terrifying tps warning at the top of a mountain pass

My local 7-11 gas station has this awesome new unit with digital read outs.

Nafai1123

Banned
That S2000 thread reminds me of all the people that used to tell me my NB Miata was a chick-car. I'd just laugh it off and tell em I have way more fun driving a chick car than their econo-POS.

They're slow but work just fine. I use one from time to time.

AlphaSnake

The Benz Tiger Woods was driving this past night during his arrest?

A 2015 S65 AMG. Oh yes. The man likes his cars as much as he loves his generic blonde girls. :p

So Subaru posted this on Twitter:

With the hashtag #STI(is that redundant? lol) and a date 6/8/17.

Admittedly the hashtag got me tits up until I delved into it and found that this probably just the BRZ tS that was released in Japan back 2013.

If you don't know what the tS, it's pretty much a whole lot of nothing, just some seats, better suspension and that big ass wing at the back... and yes no engine improvements.

Laaaaame.

Top Bottom