• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

burgerdog

19ebgPq.jpg

Oh my god, came for the white one but that black one steals the show.

Not sure if I like it tbh.

One of the reasons why I love Lambos is the ridiculously ostentatious design. Those two look too smooth and very understated so idk.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
You've posted great pictures of your car in the past. You should post them again or some new ones for him. The last time you posted pictures of your car, it made my day. After a long and frustrating day at work and life in general, it was nice to just sit back, look at a nice car that someone has.

Ahhh thanks dude. I posted some after my drop not too long ago. :) It also seems like he's done some image searches of the car and likes what he sees.

Waiting to post the next set after my spacers go on and my wheels get powdercoated. Just need to make time for the appointment.

That black model definitely looks nice... How much are they going for at that dealer?

Ahhh thanks dude. I posted some after my drop not too long ago. :) It also seems like he's done some image searches of the car and likes what he sees.

Waiting to post the next set after my spacers go on and my wheels get powdercoated. Just need to make time for the appointment.

Definitely post up pictures. You've got one of the best cars in this thread. I rarely see people drive it on the road or even in this thread. I see way more F Types on the road than yours and although I'm a huge fan of the F Type design, it's nice to see other Jaguars on the road other than F Pace, F Types, and XF's, you know?

I've love to get into the Jaguar family sometime in the future.

burgerdog

Speaking of Jags, Salomondrin finally drove an F-Type R and fell in love with it, that's rather impressive for a guy that's used to driving flat out super cars.

Me too. Waaaay out in the open away from everybody else and away from the shopping cart corrals (or whatever you call them.) Doesn't always work out though.

The weird thing is that sometimes someone'll park directly next to you when there's tons of open spaces. I'm like "motherfucker, why did you think I'm way the fuck out here?"

Not sure if I like it tbh.

One of the reasons why I love Lambos is the ridiculously ostentatious design. Those two look too smooth and very understated so idk.

True, but with these new Lambos you only get that when you actually see them in person. Doesn't really come across in the pics.

That was a LOT of useful information. Thanks!

I was driving home just now and I thought of some other things you should do when test driving these cars:
  1. Play around with the sound system settings. Change the Fade and Balance to make sure all speakers are working. That means hook up your phone to the system using bluetooth as well to make sure the bluetooth module is working.
  2. Make sure the navigation unit is working. PCM (Navigation) in 981 modules are a bit non-intuitive despite how simple it looks. When putting in the address, it'll ask for Street NAME first, not Street/Address Number...
  3. S models come standard with HID/Xenon lights, I believe; Since you're looking at the Base models, I think it's worth looking for ones that have the Xenon lights optioned. These cars are very modern looking and I personally think having really bright lights will prolong the life of your car and make it look even more modern. This is also why I like Sport Chrono package due to the analog clock, just makes the car feel nicer overall.
  4. Obviously make sure all lights are working (i.e. Turn signals, Reverse, Headlights, Emergency lights)
  5. Take time to play around with the settings in the right most instrument cluster in front of the driver. There are 3, the left most display is the speedometer, the middle is the tachometer, and the right most is the digital display. Some settings you should definitely make sure are working is the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) and if optioned with Sport Chrono, make sure the analog clock track timer is working.
  6. A rental I was using last year had a really squeaky sound coming from the steering column. Like advice from my last post, really turn off the music (click in the volume knob) and listen for these squeaks and rattles. The rattles may be coming from the rear hatchdoor, vibrations may be from incorrect installation of the plastic frame in the back, and the squeaks can be from the steering column or somewhere else. Also, the engine should have a strong sound, but if there is something that sounds strange, then definitely bring it up and look at the service history of the car.
  7. Position the Mirror and make sure the side mirrors work

Here are also 3 options I think are really really really worth it. I know they're a bit harder to find but these make things sooo much nicer for you as a driver:
  1. Autodim mirrors and rain sensors - The autodim mirrors are almost a must if you drive around at night a lot like I do. These cars are so low and any car behind you really blind you. I drove a rental Boxster last year without autodim and that was really annoying to drive at night. I highly recommend this option.
  2. Front and/or Rear parking sensors; This is super helpful when parking in the garage or a new place. My 987 Boxster didn't have this and while I'm used to parking without sensors, people I've let drive my cars prefer the 981/718 with the parking sensors, it made it easier.
  3. Blind spot assist/Lane Change Assist (LCA); These actually help quite a bit. I think the Cayman has a lot of visibility but it's still nice to have just in case.

Lastly, I don't know if you can drive manual, but if you do then really consider getting a Base Cayman with a manual stick. The manual sticks in the 981 Cayman and Boxster are amazing. I adore the PDK dual clutch automatic in these cars and I think they're among the best I've tried. But the manual is fantastic. I don't drive manual as much anymore, but the times I have been able to drive these cars with manual, it's thrilling and engaging. The reason I bring this up is because the Base Cayman in particular I feel can excel at being a manual since you are the one controlling the shifts, controlling the power, directing the car at every turn, overtake, and working in tandem with you. It makes you utilize the most of the engine on your own. Anyone can drive an automatic and make a car go fast, but if you have a Base Cayman 981 and the car turns nicely, drives nicely, overtakes nicely, and controls nicely, it's not because of the car, but because you and the car worked together. Also, the manual sticks feel great in the 981 Cayman. It doesn't feel like a cake mixer or too long. It's not as short as the MX-5's short shift, but it feels like it is. The sound of the manual shifter when you change it or just sitting at idle and letting it shift back into neutral is just a great sound.

OK, that's about all I have off the top of my head. There are some pretty good deals out there. Just check them out, test drive them, and hopefully they'll let you take it out on a nice empty road or somewhere with some nice twists and turns. The 981 doesn't specialize in straight lines, but it specializes in going around corners and just making you smile as you drive them leisurely in the countryside or mountains or attacking corners at the limit on track.

Also, not Cayman related, but if/when you do get one, really consider joining your region's Porsche Club of America. It's a fantastic way to meet like-minded people. I've made some good friends and acquaintances in my region. They aren't stuck up or anything. The 911 owners don't pick on or condescend the Cayman/Boxster owners. The Cayman/Boxster owners don't whine about how much they wish they had a 911. It's just a really laid back community from proper petrol heads/enthusiasts who've owned every kind of exotic to simple members who just like to take their significant others on a drive in the country side. You can also join Planet-9.com since their community can be helpful for DIY things like oil changes to save on some maintenance costs. If you have questions, they get back to you, too.

Keep us all updated!

burgerdog

The weird thing is that sometimes someone'll park directly next to you when there's tons of open spaces. I'm like "motherfucker, why did you think I'm way the fuck out here?"

This has happened to me a few times and it blows my mind every single time. Tons of open spaces and yet they choose to park next to me.

matmanx1

Anyone have any opinions on this car? https://www.carmax.com/car/14750290

2014 Base Cayman.

Pros:
In my price range
Fairly new, miles are OK
Sweet red with black interior

Cons:
Not an S (I probably can't afford an S though. unless it was an older model)
No sport chrono

The Guards Red and those wheels is a really nice combination. It's a looker for a base model. You really cant go wrong with either transmission choice in that car. The PDK is amazing and so is the manual. It really depends on what kind of driving you will be doing most of the time with it.

I also echo what Tryptobphan said about the Porsche Club. I'm still a member despite not having owned one for a few years. I still go to a few events a year and the monthly magazine is quite good.

AlphaSnake

Loving the Jag appreciation, folks. Thank you.

Went to Chick-Fil-A today, and the drive-thru folks standing outside taking orders all complimented the car. It's still impresses me just how much attention such a simple, elegant, understated black coupe gets. I noticed them staring at the car when I was like 5 cars behind receiving my order....
and I thought they were going to tell me they ran out of root beer

On my way home from getting my food, I saw an orange McLaren 570S. I gave him a nod and he nodded back.

golem

Honestly I think PCM and especially the XM Sat Radio/Traffic are worthless in the 981 Cayman. The Nav unit is pretty terrible and your phone will always be a better choice and the XM traffic display requires a subscription and gets you the roof antenna which is pretty awkward looking on the car. Also I agree that Auto dimming mirrors are useful because the car is so low.

All this Porsche talk is making scour through Autotrader only to find the only ones I can afford are 70K+ mileage cars... yeah no thanks. :(

Yeah, that just seems weird

People who take up multiple spots, on the other hand, deserve what they get:

GAF gotta GAF I guess lol.

But yeah, I hate those people too. I've made it a bad habit to snap a pic of their car with a license plate visible, post it on Twitter and hashtag it #DFWTraffic lol.

True, but with these new Lambos you only get that when you actually see them in person. Doesn't really come across in the pics.

In a way I don't really get mad at those people as long as any bullshit didn't happen, it's just a slight annoyance and I'm too lazy to care for that shit lol.

And yeah I guess I have to see those Lambos in person... the Ferrari/Maserati dealer next to my office also owns the local Lambo dealer, I wonder if I can waltz in there during my lunch break and ask lolol.

That was a LOT of useful information. Thanks!

OK, driving around tonight and looking at the car you linked earlier, there is one other option that was free when optioning a car that for some reason, people sometimes don't option. The Smoking Package. What this does is give you a section of the car for cigarettes. It was $0. Why wouldn't someone option it? It's annoying when I see a car that doesn't have it. The one you linked does not have it.

Why do I bring this up? The smoking package gives you an extra power outlet in case you need it. I think it's really useful so I always look for it. I use it in all my cars for USB Chargers since I dock my phone using a magnet on the air vents. The USB cable doesn't reach the phone when plugging it into the power outlet in the side compartment to the right of your driver's seat. For cars without this option you get this empty hole in the middle panel between the buttons and the arm compartment. It's useless since it doesn't hold your phone or anything, just coins or something.

Anyways, it may not be important to you, but I want to bring it up in case you plan on docking your phone on the dashboard.

Also, press the power windows from the driver's side to make sure both driver and passenger windows go all the way down by pressing on the button just once. Then pull up the windows by pulling the buttons up. Then do the same with the passenger's window with the button on the passenger's side. Make sure they work.

Last comment, I just noticed this car is in the Los Angeles area. You live in the area that probably has the most used Porsche cars, so you should spend time looking around. If you don't see something you like, keep waiting. You'll find a good deal sooner or later. I think he two things this car has going for it is the Guards Red exterior color and the Carrera Wheels, which Matmanx1 pointed out. If you like PDK, then it's got PDK, which is great, too. Otherwise, I think you can look at other cars and gauge your interest in them with their options.

2018 Mustang Configurator is live. I built a base GT with the 301A equipment group and Performance Package. MSRP = $41,900. An equally optioned 2018 is on average around $2000 more expensive than the equivalent 2017 version. Thta's quite a bit of money for a Mustang. Looks like I will have to wait longer into the model year and try and get one under MSRP.

http://shop.ford.com/build/mustang//2018/

rokkerkory

2018 Mustang Configurator is live. I built a base GT with the 301A equipment group and Performance Package. MSRP = $41,900. An equally optioned 2018 is on average around $2000 more expensive than the equivalent 2017 version. Thta's quite a bit of money for a Mustang. Looks like I will have to wait longer into the model year and try and get one under MSRP.

Give it a few months and you'll be able to pick one up at invoice

Akim

Banned
OK, driving around tonight and looking at the car you linked earlier, there is one other option that was free when optioning a car that for some reason, people sometimes don't option. The Smoking Package. What this does is give you a section of the car for cigarettes. It was $0. Why wouldn't someone option it? It's annoying when I see a car that doesn't have it. The one you linked does not have it.

Why do I bring this up? The smoking package gives you an extra power outlet in case you need it. I think it's really useful so I always look for it. I use it in all my cars for USB Chargers since I dock my phone using a magnet on the air vents. The USB cable doesn't reach the phone when plugging it into the power outlet in the side compartment to the right of your driver's seat. For cars without this option you get this empty hole in the middle panel between the buttons and the arm compartment. It's useless since it doesn't hold your phone or anything, just coins or something.

Anyways, it may not be important to you, but I want to bring it up in case you plan on docking your phone on the dashboard.

Also, press the power windows from the driver's side to make sure both driver and passenger windows go all the way down by pressing on the button just once. Then pull up the windows by pulling the buttons up. Then do the same with the passenger's window with the button on the passenger's side. Make sure they work.

Last comment, I just noticed this car is in the Los Angeles area. You live in the area that probably has the most used Porsche cars, so you should spend time looking around. If you don't see something you like, keep waiting. You'll find a good deal sooner or later. I think he two things this car has going for it is the Guards Red exterior color and the Carrera Wheels, which Matmanx1 pointed out. If you like PDK, then it's got PDK, which is great, too. Otherwise, I think you can look at other cars and gauge your interest in them with their options.

Really appreciate all the information. I'm actually located in Seattle, but I've extended my search a bit. I've been looking every day for the past 2 months or so for a Cayman or F-type that meets all my needs, but not having much luck. The one I linked earlier sold the same day it went up.

My criteria is basically:

$45,000 or under
Automatic
2012 or newer
Chrono sport if possible (if cayman)
Interesting color if possible - yellow, red, cobalt
Under 40k miles
coupe (If f-type)
Not sure if I'm being unreasonable with what I want in my price range, but I really can't find shit.

Really appreciate all the information. I'm actually located in Seattle, but I've extended my search a bit. I've been looking every day for the past 2 months or so for a Cayman or F-type that meets all my needs, but not having much luck. The one I linked earlier sold the same day it went up.

$45,000 or under
Automatic
2012 or newer
Under 40k miles
coupe (If f-type)
Not sure if I'm being unreasonable with what I want in my price range, but I really can't find shit.

Caymans in that price range are kind of rare, Boxsters not so much. Problem is they tend to be super low mileage and hold their value pretty well. Usually I see them going for a bit more than that. Add 10K, no problem. Then again, Porsche is running a 39 month lease program for 620 a month right now on 718s. Might be worth looking into.

Occasionally you get lucky and find an unloved garage toy on the cheap but it takes time and they always sell right quick.

AlphaSnake

Nobody in their right mind pays MSRP for a Mustang. Invoice is thousands less, and that's before you stack incentives on that invoice price. You'll probably be able to get these in the mid 30s.

DragonWang

Neo Member
Well now that I have a gaf account I feel I should add to the thread and post my daily.

Not as impressive as all the lambo's but she's great fun around the welsh roads by me
and gets me from A-B

MFSLz9Bh.jpg

O1c3HoEl.jpg

k149N7Jl.jpg

matmanx1

Well now that I have a gaf account I feel I should add to the thread and post my daily.

Not as impressive as all the lambo's but she's great fun around the welsh roads by me
and gets me from A-B

MFSLz9Bh.jpg

O1c3HoEl.jpg

k149N7Jl.jpg

Sick! That is an absolutely beautiful Lotus! Is it an Elise or an Exige? And you daily drive it? Very impressive. I would love to know more about it.

DragonWang

Neo Member
Sick! That is an absolutely beautiful Lotus! Is it an Elise or an Exige? And you daily drive it? Very impressive. I would love to know more about it.

Thank you.

Yep she's been my daily for nearly 3 year's now even in the winter (I may have a death wish)

It started out life as a 111s Elise but is far from that now. Gets confused with the Exige
due to the front clam being off the exige model. The wing is off the SC elise as I wasn't too keen on the GT wing (and I need access to the boot) Add to that exige side pods and a hardtop.
Lot's of other things but they are the biggest visual changes. I will have to update with a rear photo.

No abs,air bags,traction control,air con but it does have a cd player :-D
Not sure what she weighs now, 760'ish

Engine is still stock apart from an induction kit and larini exhaust system with de-cat
Future upgrades will likely be a K20 supercharged transplant... I'm still on the fence about it though as I don't want to kill myself.

GHG

Thank you.

Yep she's been my daily for nearly 3 year's now even in the winter (I may have a death wish)

It started out life as a 111s Elise but is far from that now. Gets confused with the Exige
due to the front clam being off the exige model. The wing is off the SC elise as I wasn't too keen on the GT wing (and I need access to the boot) Add to that exige side pods and a hardtop.
Lot's of other things but they are the biggest visual changes. I will have to update with a rear photo.

Engine is still stock apart from an induction kit and larini exhaust system with de-cat
Future upgrades will likely be a K20 supercharged transplant... I'm still on the fence about it though as I don't want to kill myself.

o_O

Have you got any videos sound clips of it? I'd love to hear how it sounds. Larini exhausts are usually epic.

Thank you.

That is a gorgeous car. I actually thought it was an Exige upon first glance. I'm surprised you daily drive it, but that'd be epic. I've seen people daily drive on my commute to work in the Bay Area.

If you have a video clip of the exhaust then that'd be awesome. It seems like you've really enjoyed it if you've been driving it for 3 years. Hopefully you'll drive it for more years to come!

$45,000 or under
Automatic
2012 or newer
Under 40k miles
coupe (If f-type)

My advice is to keep looking. You don't want to get a car that you know you'll regret as you drive about. You want the feeling that you got most, if not all, of the things you want. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few Caymans in the last few months that check off everything on your list except color. I actually think yellow, red, sapphire blue makes it difficult. Just a few quick glances online now showed some that fit your criteria but they're white, black, or silver, at least in California.

If you don't mind the Boxster 981 as well, then put that in your search. I never would have imagined myself to be a convertible guy until I bought a used Porsche Boxster 2005 987 model. It just happened to be cheaper than the Cayman 987's when I was looking for used ones. I ended up loving the experience driving around with the top down at evening/night and just feeling everything around me. I no longer have that Boxster since it had an IMS failure, I now have Caymans, but I do miss driving with the top down.

Some Boxsters definitely meet your search criteria right now. So give those a search if you'd like. Also, for what it's worth, I think the Boxster with the top down is drop dead gorgeous.

Keep us updated! Don't give up!

DragonWang

Neo Member
o_O

Have you got any videos sound clips of it? I'd love to hear how it sounds. Larini exhausts are usually epic.

Not atm but I really should.

I was warned twice by the sales man when buying that it wasn't a subtle exhaust system.
But my logical thinking was if they cant see me with the car being
so low down in city centres they will at least hear me :-D

My friend has a go pro so I will try get some footage for you.

Give it a few months and you'll be able to pick one up at invoice

Nobody in their right mind pays MSRP for a Mustang. Invoice is thousands less, and that's before you stack incentives on that invoice price. You'll probably be able to get these in the mid 30s.
Thanks, and that is definitely the plan. Mustangs have massive depreciation within the first year, so I have to get one for the right price so as to not get screwed too badly. With that being said, the 2018 refresh is looking amazing so far. The improved clutch in the 6MT along with the HP increase is going to make for one fun ride.

Don't remember who were the diecast cars fans in here but I finally had time to set up my gear and shoot a couple of shots from those diecast cars I bought a while back:

Now I think I can finally take them to my office haha.

SiteSeer

ok so i posted a while back some pictures of the parts i was getting put into my '09 audi tt. well, the parts went in the last week of may but i haven't been able to do any launch control starts on the new tune ... until two days ago. the result: 60mph in 3.82 seconds from rest. woohoo supercar territory! 🚗💨

v1lla21

matmanx1

Thank you.

Yeah, definitely going to need video and or audio clips of this car. It sounds like a riot. I daily drive my 08 Miata in all weather but it would be a luxury car compared to the Elise / Exige so my hat is off to you, sir.

ok so i posted a while back some pictures of the parts i was getting put into my '09 audi tt. well, the parts went in the last week of may but i haven't been able to do any launch control starts on the new tune ... until two days ago. the result: 60mph in 3.82 seconds from rest. woohoo supercar territory! 🚗💨

Wow, epic!

I might have finally found the right used GTI to buy. Fingers crossed...

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

v1lla21

RIP in pieces to the m4 who blew a tire and fucked up the rear bumper on the off ramp. And also rip in pieces to the carrera who crashed and fucked up the front end southbound on 680.

K6AED.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't understand collectors. Car collectors, art collectors, stamp collectors, none of them. None of them make sense.

I do understand it, but I don't have a single collector gene in my body.

I get rid of EVERYTHING. Like a reverse collector. If you broke into my house today, you would not have the slightest goddamned clue what I was into. Even my small blu ray collection is LITERALLY random since it's about half free Blu rays I just got in the mail for some reason.

Almost all of my games are digital. I trade in old stuff. I probably have less than thirty physical games in my house across every format, over forty years of "collecting"

sfedai0

Banned
I would totally collect cars if I had the money. I would also totally drive them though....even if it was the rarest of rare cars.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Recommendations for the best car to purchase for my mother?

I don't come from money. My mom has not had a car for ~10 years due to financial reasons. However, between me and my sister, it's never been a huge issue. She works from home, and we can pick her up on the weekends. In a pinch, her mom (my grandma) is young-ish and lives just 6 or so min away.

However, my wife and I are planning to start a family soon, and it's critical my mom have a car by then so that she can spend time with the grandkid and generally help out. My in-laws live like 10 minutes away... my mom lives an hour away... so she'll already feel "left out."

Pretty much the ONLY requirements are:

-fwd or awd
-SAFE
-four door
-Good warranty
-Reliable & SUPER CHEAP/EASY to repair down the road

I mean, a Corolla or Civic seems like the absolute most obvious answer. I can find a 2015/2016 with <36K miles for under $12K pretty easy. Is there anything else I should be considering in that price range?

I'd like to get a subaru with AWD... but the prices are a fair bit higher.

hwalker84

Recommendations for the best car to purchase for my mother?

I don't come from money. My mom has not had a car for ~10 years due to financial reasons. However, between me and my sister, it's never been a huge issue. She works from home, and we can pick her up on the weekends. In a pinch, her mom (my grandma) is young-ish and lives just 6 or so min away.

However, my wife and I are planning to start a family soon, and it's critical my mom have a car by then so that she can spend time with the grandkid and generally help out. My in-laws live like 10 minutes away... my mom lives an hour away... so she'll already feel "left out."

Pretty much the ONLY requirements are:

-fwd or awd
-SAFE
-four door
-Good warranty
-Reliable & SUPER CHEAP/EASY to repair down the road

I mean, a Corolla or Civic seems like the absolute most obvious answer. I can find a 2015/2016 with <36K miles for under $12K pretty easy. Is there anything else I should be considering in that price range?

I'd like to get a subaru with AWD... but the prices are a fair bit higher.
If your credit is good you can lease a brand new crosstrek for like $190 a month

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
If your credit is good you can lease a brand new crosstrek for like $190 a month

Credit is exceptional. I've gone back-and-forth on a lease.

On one hand - zero surprises. Love that. Fully warrantied and I'm 100% sure she'll be fine. But on the other hand, it's way easier for me to make a one-time payment today and be sure she'll have a car for the next ~7 years. I'm not sure what my financial situation will be 2-4 years down the road when the lease expires.

I doubt she'd put more than 6K miles on whatever she gets per year.

SiteSeer

Credit is exceptional. I've gone back-and-forth on a lease.

On one hand - zero surprises. Love that. Fully warrantied and I'm 100% sure she'll be fine. But on the other hand, it's way easier for me to make a one-time payment today and be sure she'll have a car for the next ~7 years. I'm not sure what my financial situation will be 2-4 years down the road when the lease expires.

I doubt she'd put more than 6K miles on whatever she gets per year.

you already know what to get
civic/corolla
just gotta follow through.

Top Bottom