• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

rokkerkory

I do understand it, but I don't have a single collector gene in my body.

I get rid of EVERYTHING. Like a reverse collector. If you broke into my house today, you would not have the slightest goddamned clue what I was into. Even my small blu ray collection is LITERALLY random since it's about half free Blu rays I just got in the mail for some reason.

Almost all of my games are digital. I trade in old stuff. I probably have less than thirty physical games in my house across every format, over forty years of "collecting"

Pls send me ur 1X :)

RIP in pieces to the m4 who blew a tire and fucked up the rear bumper on the off ramp. And also rip in pieces to the carrera who crashed and fucked up the front end southbound on 680.

K6AED.gif

You seem to witness a lot of accidents

i hope you're being sarcastic.

People are different. None of them make sense.

I do understand it, but I don't have a single collector gene in my body.

I get rid of EVERYTHING. Like a reverse collector. If you broke into my house today, you would not have the slightest goddamned clue what I was into. Even my small blu ray collection is LITERALLY random since it's about half free Blu rays I just got in the mail for some reason.

Almost all of my games are digital. I trade in old stuff. I probably have less than thirty physical games in my house across every format, over forty years of "collecting"

I don't mind car collectors as long as they drive their cars.

I would totally collect cars if I had the money. I would also totally drive them though....even if it was the rarest of rare cars.

Okay I guess I'm a little strange. It's the idea of satisfaction from just having stuff that's odd to me. If someone maintains a smallish collections and regularly drives/enjoys the cars that makes more sense.

matmanx1

Recommendations for the best car to purchase for my mother?

I don't come from money. My mom has not had a car for ~10 years due to financial reasons. However, between me and my sister, it's never been a huge issue. She works from home, and we can pick her up on the weekends. In a pinch, her mom (my grandma) is young-ish and lives just 6 or so min away.

However, my wife and I are planning to start a family soon, and it's critical my mom have a car by then so that she can spend time with the grandkid and generally help out. My in-laws live like 10 minutes away... my mom lives an hour away... so she'll already feel "left out."

Pretty much the ONLY requirements are:

-fwd or awd
-SAFE
-four door
-Good warranty
-Reliable & SUPER CHEAP/EASY to repair down the road

I mean, a Corolla or Civic seems like the absolute most obvious answer. I can find a 2015/2016 with <36K miles for under $12K pretty easy. Is there anything else I should be considering in that price range?

I'd like to get a subaru with AWD... but the prices are a fair bit higher.

Nissan Versa Note. Super cheap, reliable and roomy. I have a co-worker who has one and I am always surprised at how much room that car has and how comfortable it is for how little it costs.

Okay I guess I'm a little strange. It's the idea of satisfaction from just having stuff that's odd to me. If someone maintains a smallish collections and regularly drives/enjoys the cars that makes more sense.

Lmao you probably think I'm crazy for collecting old ass film cameras and vintage camera equipment. And I mean old, like waaaay before I was born lol.

Even crazier is that I don't use them if at all so I don't know if most of them work lol. The recent addition to my collection is a medium format Super Ricohflex from the 50's but my favorite is a Nikon F with the FTn finder from the late 60's and while this one works perfectly fine(it uses a mechanical shutter), I can't really use the viewfinder as it uses a battery that the federal government banned in the 90's so I haven't used it at all.

I guess I just like showing them off in my bookshelf lol.

Nissan Versa Note. Super cheap, reliable and roomy. I have a co-worker who has one and I am always surprised at how much room that car has and how comfortable it is for how little it costs.

But then you'd be driving a Nissan... &#128579;&#128579;&#128579;

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Where do you live that you consider AWD?

Kansas City. We can get snow from October-April, and usually have at least two big storms each winter. Big storms she won't drive in, period, which I'm thankful for. But we have light snowfall (1-2") a dozen times or so each season; that's when the AWD would be helpful.

Also, the rain this year has been insane. Literally raining 2-3 times a week; huge storms. Doubt we'll get the same thing next year, but it's definitely making me think.

All that said, FWD is probably more than enough. But if the option was there, I'd go AWD.

I worked with my sister to get her a 2014 Forrester a couple years back, and it's been HUGE for her. She feels so much more comfortable driving.

Cool - thanks for the recommendation. Hadn't even considered that vehicle. Took a look at the Sentra, but the cost was comparable to the gold-standards of reliability, so I took it off my list.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I like the Honda Fit too. Lower mileage 08/09 vehicles can be found for a great bargain.

Our Fit was awesome. Really fun to drive, that little vtec feels really tightly wound. A bit noisy on highway trips though, and they did some weirdly chintzy things with Trim. When we bought it was either regular or Sport. Sport had a little spoiler lip, paddle shifters and, get this, the only available arm rest for the driver. Like wat? Why is that sporty Honda? WHY?

I'm considering trading my 2014 Civic Si in for a 2017 Sedan Si

Pros for the 2017
More torque
Adaptive dampers
Better interior
Better exterior
Turbo can be Hondatad to get more hp and torque

Cons
No replacement for displacement
No more VTEC

I have about 8k left on my loan. I could probably trade my Civic and get 15-17k for it, and hopefully get a Civic for 21-23k. Minus taxes and fees it's almost a swap.

dohdough

Picked up some Michelin 4S' for my 16 WRX and holy crap, they're so quiet compared to the stock Dunlops. I was surprised to see that they were cheaper than Super Sports too! Now I can actually hear more of the engine, exhaust, and turbo spool.

ameratsu

Pros for the 2017
More torque
Adaptive dampers
Better interior
Better exterior

Cons
No more VTEC

I have about 8k left on my loan. I could probably trade my Civic and get 15-17k for it, and hopefully get a Civic for 21-23k. Minus taxes and fees it's almost a swap.

I really like the interior of the Si as well. Rear heated seats is a pretty neat feature on the Canadian model that I hadn't seen in any other cars. My big hangup is that it's just it's so big, basically on par with an early 2000s accord, which inherently feels not very Si-like. The engine also felt ok at best and didn't pull well from 100-140kph. Hard braking was alarmingly bad, the Si Sedan i was driving kind of skidded to the left. The exterior, and especially the black plastic grilles on the rear bumper are pretty bad.

Out of all the cars I've driven, the 2017 Si Sedan is one of the least impressive, especially considering it's new for this model year. I'd probably just get a Civic Hatch Sport and forego a few things, like lsd, and save a bunch of money.

Makki

Pros for the 2017
More torque
Adaptive dampers
Better interior
Better exterior

Cons
No more VTEC

The stock engine is already taxing that little 1.5L heavily on high boost. Your return on investment mod-wise will barely push the car to the numbers of competitors like the Focus ST and the GTI. If you want better interior you wont be getting your money's worth from the SI.

This generation of the SI when compared to its contemporary competition is the weakest I would argue. If you really want a Honda and want to tune, wait for the 2.0 Accord.

I really like the interior of the Si as well. Rear heated seats is a pretty neat feature on the Canadian model that I hadn't seen in any other cars. My big hangup is that it's just it's so big, basically on par with an early 2000s accord, which inherently feels not very Si-like. The engine also felt ok at best and didn't pull well from 100-140kph. Hard braking was alarmingly bad, the Si Sedan i was driving kind of skidded to the left. The exterior, and especially the black plastic grilles on the rear bumper are pretty bad.

Out of all the cars I've driven, the 2017 Si Sedan is one of the least impressive, especially considering it's new for this model year. I'd probably just get a Civic Hatch Sport and forego a few things, like lsd, and save a bunch of money.

The stock engine is already taxing that little 1.5L heavily on high boost. Your return on investment mod-wise will barely push the car to the numbers of competitors like the Focus ST and the GTI. If you want better interior you wont be getting your money's worth from the SI.

This generation of the SI when compared to its contemporary competition is the weakest I would argue. If you really want a Honda and want to tune, wait for the 2.0 Accord.

I've read that from a handling perspective it's better than previous gens. I might take it for a spin and see.

Vit has been doing some interesting tuning and work, with good yields: http://blog.vittuned.com

v1lla21

Went to walk the dog around my s/o's house and spotted an Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV6. Didn't see the owner and didn't want to be a weirdo and just walk up and snap a pic of the car. I'll try to get one next time, probably tomorrow.
Here's a MotorWeek Retro Review

Edit: this Davide Cironi video on the car is pretty great. Subscribed to him as well
https://youtu.be/vCHzuCeojgo

Also since I was looking at Si's I sent out a few quote requests for a Type R.

Got one from Honda of Oakland. 48k

Jesus Christ. Just lol.
If you really want to stay Honda then just keep paying your Si down and trade it in for a Type R once they are at MSRP (probably another year or so).

matmanx1

Pros for the 2017
More torque
Adaptive dampers
Better interior
Better exterior

Cons
No more VTEC

I would say wait until a Type R is affordable enough. I dont know that the new Si would be a big enough jump from what you have already unless you are specifically after that low and mid-range torque from the turbo motor.

If you really want to stay Honda then just keep paying your Si down and trade it in for a Type R once they are at MSRP (probably another year or so).

Yep!

J-Rzez

I know this discussion has gone on a few times here, so let's bring it up again!

2018 Honda Civic Type R Vs Ford Focus RS - Carfection

Different experiences really, one being AWD and the other being FWD. I watched a video on the new CTR and the designers stressed they wanted the car to be livable on day to day roads, but sedated to control on the track. My RS vids sent to me from Ford in my special RS owners kit, they stressed they wanted fun, personality, and playfulness even at the cost of some comfort since hot hatch buyers want that. And that is the case for end result of both it seems. The only thing strange to me is the CTR styling for D2D is far more "extreme" in contrast.

I'm sure the CTR is awesome to drive, and when my buddy's get delivered ill try it out. But for me, I wanted AWD with the edgy moments.

Picked up some Michelin 4S' for my 16 WRX and holy crap, they're so quiet compared to the stock Dunlops. I was surprised to see that they were cheaper than Super Sports too! Now I can actually hear more of the engine, exhaust, and turbo spool.

I got some miles on my new 4S tires and I can confirm that Michelin has some magic rubber dust in them. Grip, turn it, ride quality, all better than my pilot super sports. I did go wider and slightly taller with mine to 245/40-18 compared to stock.

I would say wait until a Type R is affordable enough. I dont know that the new Si would be a big enough jump from what you have already unless you are specifically after that low and mid-range torque from the turbo motor.

Yep!

Yeah this is what I'm leaning towards. Hopefully Honda doesn't pull a Nintendo on supply.

In the meantime, think I might get a set of coils for the NB!

Yeah this is what I'm leaning towards. Hopefully Honda doesn't pull a Nintendo on supply.

Funny you mention that... I just picked up a NES Classic here in Dallas from the Amazon Treasure Truck.

Anyway, I kinda wonder how long Honda's gonna be a-holes about needing a credit check to test drive a Si. My contact at the the Honda dealer says they're still doing it and there's really no directive from Honda to when they need to stop that mess so most likely dealers have the discretion to cut it out, but most don't want to stop it to prevent the riff-raff I guess.

I still personally want to TD one coz it's still on my list but I'm not willing to get a hard credit check when I'm not even sure I'm buying one at all.

Funny you mention that... I just picked up a NES Classic here in Dallas from the Amazon Treasure Truck.

Anyway, I kinda wonder how long Honda's gonna be a-holes about needing a credit check to test drive a Si. My contact at the the Honda dealer says they're still doing it and there's really no directive from Honda to when they need to stop that mess so most likely dealers have the discretion to cut it out, but most don't want to stop it to prevent the riff-raff I guess.

I still personally want to TD one coz it's still on my list but I'm not willing to get a hard credit check when I'm not even sure I'm buying one at all.

Yeah I might TD one as well just to try out the 10th gen platform. Hoping rolling onto the lot in a 9th Si makes it easier.

Ty4on

Motortrend got a first run at the Tesla Model 3:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/exclusive-tesla-model-3-first-drive-review/

Interesting stuff, that. Pricing puts it smack in the 3-series/C-class/A4 range and it matches those on performance and feature content too.

If they actually pull off what it appears they've done, big trouble for those guys.
I really look forward to a more in-depth look on that interior. Does look really nice with a clean design and good materials. The air vents are a thing too that can really win it with better control or lose it if you can't do what you're used to.
Still not a fan of central screen, but it's workable. I've driven several cars with central mounted dashes before.

Hoping they can still keep the entry level car somewhat decent. They seem to really wanna upsell it and make it a mini S.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I saw a Merc-AMG C63S Edition 1 today. Pretty rare sighting from what I gather.

And then I saw a McLaren 570S in orange shortly after, and forgot about the Merc. Oddly, this is the 2nd orange 570S I've spotted. The one I saw earlier this past week had personalized plates on it, and the one I saw today still had temps. My wife sent me pics of a white one that she saw, as well.

Seems like these cars are getting around and selling here in Florida.

Crayon

Went to walk the dog around my s/o's house and spotted an Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV6. Didn't see the owner and didn't want to be a weirdo and just walk up and snap a pic of the car. I'll try to get one next time, probably tomorrow.
Here's a MotorWeek Retro Review

Edit: this Davide Cironi video on the car is pretty great. Subscribed to him as well
https://youtu.be/vCHzuCeojgo

Okay so last year I spent all day cleaning out my garage because I needed to change an engine, and the next day one of those cars is parked outside when I get home. A PERFECT one. Turns out it's my roommates. His dad died and he inherited it. Total garage queen. No tags. So I gave him my spot in the garage because I couldn't stand to see it sit outside. It had my spot for two months before he could find a buyer but I didn't care because I would just go down there and look at it every few days. It was really beautiful in that pristine condition. I even took it around the block once. It seemed like it would be a great drive.

Armadilo

Banned
I want to tint my windows for a scion iA, 35 all around. I currently live in California but hope to move to Colorado by next year. 35 shouldn't be a problem right? Can I do the windshield too or no ?

matmanx1

35 is legal in most places but you would probably want to check the statues for where you live now and where you are moving to.

Do not tint the front windshield unless you are talking about just the very top. Even then, there are better options for cutting down on sun and heat while still maintaining great visibility. I know the Llumar 80 is specifically designed to go on a front windshield without darkening it or reducing visibility.

Momentary

Banned
I want to tint my windows for a scion iA, 35 all around. I currently live in California but hope to move to Colorado by next year. 35 shouldn't be a problem right? Can I do the windshield too or no ?

I'm in California and got 30 tint around my car instead of 35. I haven't had any issues with it. There are people in my town that have pitch black tint and still don't get pulled over. Also for the windshield you can only get a tinted visor or that 80 percent tint that's basically clear.

In California the law states that you can't have tint on the front two door windows of a car. So if you have a two door sports car it means you can't have any tint for the cabin of the vehicle unless you have visibility window behind your door windows.

Police won't give you cap about it unless you give them other reasons to pull you over.

On another note, I got my custom Motorsport-tech 17mm hub-centric spacers in for the Jaguar.

I'm waiting for my velocity AP springs and ECU tune to come in. I decided to leave the rims color alone.

Can a certified Jaguar mechanic install pulleys and headers without voiding any sort of warranties?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Cosworth.

ford_cosworth_bda_engine.jpg

bdg%20exhaust%20side.jpg

Reminds me of one of my first (briefly) cars. First time I drove it at night I accidentally left hi beams on and basically everyone in Avon and Somerset gave me the finger. Like the car wasn't obnoxious enough. Took me fifteen minutes to realize they weren't just jealous haters.

wd457fp.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

On another note, I got my custom Motorsport-tech 17mm hub-centric spacers in for the Jaguar.

I'm waiting for my velocity AP springs and ECU tune to come in. I decided to leave the rims color alone.

Can a certified Jaguar mechanic install pulleys and headers without voiding any sort of warranties?

Velocity AP works with an assortment of dealerships that they can honor their work through. While Velocity will warranty their product and any defects as a result of their product, the dealership won't. More importantly, to answer your second question: Jaguar corporate can void your warranty, not the dealership. When our cars get ECU updates, the dealer's scan tool reads the current firmware, and then the dealer can elect to send diagnostic info of the ECU back to corporate via tool (which is always connected to Jaguar's network). Sometimes, OEMs want the original ECU diagnostics for the sake of data analysis and not to look for any wrong doing - it helps them program future products better.

That said, if your car's ECU is performing perfectly fine, anytime you take your car in for a service (any service) always tell them NOT to update the ECU or TCM. Always. If ain't broke, don't fix it right? If your dealer did the install, they should know this already, anyway and they'll be cool about it. In the event that your car is having some issues and you suspect the ECU is the culprit, flash everything back to stock with Velocity's hand tool, and then take it in.

v1lla21

I got 35 on the front windows and 15 all around. Didn't tint the windshield but I get 5 on the windshield strip. I've yet to be pulled over and I've had it a while. Of all my friends only my cousin has gotten shit over it. Buddy of mine has 15 all around and he's been driving it like that for a year already in California.

"One-hundred and fifty-one miles. That was all Greg Ellingson got with his brand new 2017 Honda Civic Type R. He flew from Philadelphia to Boston to pick up the car, and not much later on Sunday, he was sulking through a five-hour ride home in a tow truck."

Ellingson told Jalopnik he was thankfully unhurt in the crash, as was the other driver he said wasn't paying attention and hit him from behind and then pushed him into another car.

”Amazingly I'm unscathed," he said. ”Guy hit me going 30-35 mph. Didn't even hit the brakes."

http://jalopnik.com/jackass-not-paying-attention-crashes-into-mans-new-hond-1797384456

https://www.facebook.com/greg.ellingson.3/posts/10213446721823615

Really sucks. The owner says he paid $39,000 OTD for the car and is hoping that insurance totals it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The way that "fake mesh" (for lack of a better term) peeled off from the bumper made me laugh. Still, poor guy.

The way that "fake mesh" (for lack of a better term) peeled off from the bumper made me laugh. Still, poor guy.
The fake plastic vents look like they just pop off. As cool as this car is, it really is just a Civic. As much as Honda doesn't want you to think it is just a Civic, when you get past the facade you can see that it really is.

I hope the rear subframe got fucked in that accident, otherwise most insurance companies won't total it.

On the other hand, does Honda even have parts for it already? If they don't, the insurance might just total it coz it'll cost more to give him a rental while the car is sitting in the shop for a month and maybe even more.

Feel bad for the ctr dude cause there's no way that's being totaled. Bags didn't go off and I estimate roughly 12 to 15k in damage unless there is frame damage like someone else mentioned.

TFGB

Hmmm McLaren have invited us to a screening of The Bruce McLaren Movie at the McLaren Technology Centre next Thursday, with a convoy of us all in our Macs leaving Ascot and driving to the MTC.

An opportunity that will only come once in a lifetime, but I'm not sure about having to socialise with other people like Shmee and his cronies lol. Will have to think about this one. :/

yW6mxx6.jpg

golem

An opportunity that will only come once in a lifetime, but I'm not sure about having to socialise with other people like Shmee and his cronies lol. Will have to think about this one. :/
Lol JWW seems like an alright dude at least. Shmee seems to have calmed down a bit too, have you met those guys at events?

Top Bottom