• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

So my insurance company quoted me 1744 for a 6 month premium for insurance on a 2013 Lotus Evora. Does that seem crazy high to you guys?

I'm 30/male, no accidents, no tickets.

edit: fixed

OK...That's way higher than any car I've owned... I currently pay $180/month for a new 718 Cayman, Black. I know if I had a red Cayman, it would've been more expensive, so perhaps your Lotus Evora's color had something to do with it?

jamsy

So my insurance company quoted me 1744 for a 6 month premium for insurance on a 2013 Lotus Evora. Does that seem crazy high to you guys?

I have a 2013 Evora and I'm paying like ~$900 a year.

That's a bit misleading though, as technically it's under my dad's insurance policy as a 3rd vehicle so...yeah... That does sound high though...

EDIT: What's the deductible? Mine is $1000.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Are you single or married? Children or no? Where do you live? Major states like NY, FL, and CA has extremely high premiums. Even worse if you're inside major city limits. Too many factors to determine.

Bandit1

Selling my dc2 gsr is making me hate people.

No trades prominently in your ad? How about a jetski bro?

Random text: "Lowest price for your Integra". That's not how negotiation works you asshole.

At this point I'm basically expecting someone to come drive it and offer me some shatter as a trade.

Yeah that stuff is very frustrating. You have it on Craigslist I'm guessing? I've had some luck on Craigslist both buying and selling, but there are definitely a lot of people on there trying to offer you half of what you're asking or saying they'll come out and then you never hear from them.

matmanx1

I'm guessing that you are in a high insurance premium state / municipality because that sounds very, very high.

Maybe they have...

https://global.handelsblatt.com/companies-markets/audi-uncorks-a-vin-mystery-815394

To the litany of woes now facing the management of German carmaker Audi, you can add this mystery: prosecutors have turned up documents suggesting that thousands of Audis exported to China, Korea or Japan may have the same vehicle identification number.

Might be an administrative error I guess but we'll hear more soon. This will be big if it did happen.

Yeah, I have no idea what their deal is the last year or so. They really need to get it together. If you're coming up with every imaginable excuse to bypass legislation that's a big damn problem. If you can't justify the difference between your models with a clear delineation that's also a big deal. New management might be needed here.

Bandit1

qiev6.jpg

Saw that yesterday, that's going to be confusing as fuck and they're only attaching it to the A models.
qiev6.jpg

There you go!

burgerdog

So did you guys see MT's latest video? GT R vs GT-R. The amg spanked the nissan by a full two seconds at laguna seca. I was surprised since they weren't too hot on the rear wheel steering of the amg but the superior brakes and tires put it ahead of godzilla.

Exterior and interior of the amg are much better and the exhaust of a v8. Whew, what a car.

v1lla21

So did you guys see MT's latest video? GT R vs GT-R. The amg spanked the nissan by a full two seconds at laguna seca. I was surprised since they weren't too hot on the rear wheel steering of the amg but the superior brakes and tires put it ahead of godzilla.

Exterior and interior of the amg are much better and the exhaust of a v8. Whew, what a car.
About to check it out 😎

Anyone wanna buy me this for my birfday next month?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/1977-porsche-911-outlaw/6267431745.html

v1lla21

You're ugly, David. Did you ever think of that? Hmmmm. 😎

I think it looks cool that's why I posted it. There's a lot of other ones being sold. Only reason I looked em up was because I passed by a shopping center where a guy had a for sale sign on his and all it said was that it was on Craigslist -_-

Akim

Banned
In case anyone was interested, I got a few more quotes for the Evora.

Cheapest was 634/6 months from Ameriprise through Costco (not a shill).

I guess allstate (my current insurance) considers the evora an exotic which increases the rate a ton.

I guess allstate (my current insurance) considers the evora an exotic which increases the rate a ton.

Wow, that's still really high. But... I guess it's not unexpected since it is an exotic.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Wow, that's still really high. But... I guess it's not unexpected since it is an exotic.

$100 a month is not high at all.

Akim, where do you live?

v1lla21

Thats not bad at all. Isn't Seattle a pretty bad place for drivers when it comes to accidents?

Thats not bad at all. Isn't Seattle a pretty bad place for drivers when it comes to accidents?

Nah. If anything, Seattle is one of the parts of the country where people drive the slowest. Coming from California, I was baffled by how slowly people drove and how courteous they often were.

If you qualify for it, people in the PNW area can get Pemco but you have to have an absolutely spotless driving record.

v1lla21

Ha. Who fuckin knows.

I saw an r32 gts-t driving around in Union City, ca today. Don't see that shit every day. It was dumped.
Went to eat pho a few months ago and GTR owners were having a meet there. There were 2 R32s and 3 r35's. My cousin was losing his mind.

Nah. If anything, Seattle is one of the parts of the country where people drive the slowest. Coming from California, I was baffled by how slowly people drove and how courteous they often were.

If you qualify for it, people in the PNW area can get Pemco but you have to have an absolutely spotless driving record.
Ahh okay. That's good to know. Bay area drivers are shitty.

Anybody know how huracans
(heh)
can affect the environment even if your 300+ miles away from it?

The battery on my dad's Accord died yesterday and today the battery in my Miata died... both happened in the morning when they've been sitting on the driveway unused for more than 12 hours.

I wonder if Harvey's doing some kind of black magic.

Though to be fair, the positive terminal on my battery was hella blue from the corrosion so that could be the cause... or this could be my Miata telling me not to sell it again. To add to that, my dad's probably getting a CR-V within a few hours haha.

Futaba

Did some repairs on my old aging Celica GT4, now running 5lb more boost, new injectors, new exhaust, not the fastest thing in the world but sure brings a smile to my face

I saw an r32 gts-t driving around in Union City, ca today. Don't see that shit every day. It was dumped.

Nice. there's one around where I live that I see occasionally. I really like the look of the R32's, and I kinda want a 4-door model. Though I'd still rather have an R30

There's also an R34 I see every once in a while and I wonder what he did to register it. I'd be too afraid to pay the money for for a one with the chance it could be seized.

KRaZyAmmo

Man tell me about it. Some people are even slow changing. I tend to try to be super aggressive on them so they frickin speed up.

SliChillax

So I got these genuine 335i E92 wheels for my M235i, they were given to me by a friend for free. They are original BBS made and I really like how they look on my car. Problem is, the rear wheels slightly touch my brake caliper, I can't put a spacer on the wheel cause it's already flush with the car, putting on even a 3mm spacer would make the wheel stick out a bit which I don't like. Is there a solution here? A friend of mine suggested that I find a way to cut off just 1 or 2mm max from the spoke which touches (pictured below in red). I'm not expert enough on wheels to know if that's a stupid idea. Any ideas? Don't mind the missing lug nut, we only put the wheels to see how they looked car wasn't moved.
Was planning on making them satin black :(

Buttons

So I got these genuine 335i E92 wheels for my M235i, they were given to me by a friend for free. They are original BBS made and I really like how they look on my car. Problem is, the rear wheels slightly touch my brake caliper, I can't put a spacer on the wheel cause it's already flush with the car, putting on even a 3mm spacer would make the wheel stick out a bit which I don't like. Is there a solution here? A friend of mine suggested that I find a way to cut off just 1 or 2mm max from the spoke which touches (pictured below in red). I'm not expert enough on wheels to know if that's a stupid idea. Any ideas? Don't mind the missing lug nut, we only put the wheels to see how they looked car wasn't moved.

That BMW is gorgeous, I love the colour.

While the wheels look amazing, fitting wheels not made for the car is usually something I avoid on my cars and cutting off any part of the spoke is definitely not something you should be doing.
Have you tried some of the BMW forums for advice?

It was time for a new car so I bought a Mercedes SLK200 and I am amazed at how fun to drive this car is. Couldn't be happier.
Now I just need to see that I get my Mini sold, gonna miss it.

slkfrontmineg3k1v.png

slkback8vj7z.png

Gonna get the car properly detailed soon, paint is in very good condition just a bit dull at the moment. Overall I got the car with low mileage and in excellent condition for an amazing price.
I went to take a look at it last weekend and fell in love with it and bought it on the spot. :D

SliChillax

That BMW is gorgeous, I love the colour.

While the wheels look amazing, fitting wheels not made for the car is usually something I avoid on my cars and cutting off any part of the spoke is definitely not something you should be doing.
Have you tried some of the BMW forums for advice?

I'll try the forums, we're talking about shaving 1mm on 1cm long surface of each spoke from the inside. I'm not an engineer and ignorant when it comes to wheels so I'll ask a few more people. Congrats on your car!

Crayon

A set of brakes with a larger diameter disc may mount the caliper out where the spoke sweep out more.

I would not remove any material from the spokes. Might be fine, but I wouldn't. I would sooner grind on the caliper casting to remove that much. Perhaps shim the caliper over. But I wouldn't do that, either.

If it were mine I'd consider these a no-fit and look to trade them.

Ty4on

You know what's weirder - it makes sense if you compare it to Tesla. I wonder if that's part of the reasoning. Tesla sells way more Model S in most parts of the country than 6s and 8s.

Tesla are kinda changing it tho

I liked it. Much faster way of telling the rough range than having to Google it, but I guess everyone tried to hide how much lower their number is. BMW using 60Ah and 94Ah is kinda shameless lol

Crayon

Nice. there's one around where I live that I see occasionally. I really like the look of the R32's, and I kinda want a 4-door model. Though I'd still rather have an R30

There's also an R34 I see every once in a while and I wonder what he did to register it. I'd be too afraid to pay the money for for a one with the chance it could be seized.

Everyone should have a favorite skyline. Mine is the r33 gtr. I wonder what buying and ownership is like? I've never looked into it.

v1lla21

R32 for me but I'm holding out till the S15 finally becomes legal in the US so I can spend my life savings on one.

Not Really but maybe :p

Crayon

Okay. Skyline pictures.

e1ef54b432766c2f8870e0e01bed3070--nissan-skyline-r-r-skyline.jpg

HKS-R33-Drag-GTR-11-1200x800.jpg

Its ironic because I like this car because it's low-key, but if you have one here in the states it is an attention magnet.

I would still just put a spacer on there. Also, I would try to remove material from the brake caliper before the wheels.

Also, we're posting skyline pictures? This is my jam right here.
3507bbbf7b4f7880e5512db11d79fd7e.jpg

SliChillax

I would still just put a spacer on there. Also, I would try to remove material from the brake caliper before the wheels.

Also, we're posting skyline pictures? This is my jam right here.
3507bbbf7b4f7880e5512db11d79fd7e.jpg
The smallest spacer available for my car is 3mm and it makes the wheel stick out. I'm going to remove the brakr caliper and see how deep the piston cover is. If it's thick, I don't think shaving around 1mm is going to do any damage. I can repaint and fix the calipers after so it looks untouched.

Top Bottom