• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'll try the forums, we're talking about shaving 1mm on 1cm long surface of each spoke from the inside. I'm not an engineer and ignorant when it comes to wheels so I'll ask a few more people. Congrats on your car!

Try a 1MM slip-on spacer. - it should work Most people also usually start sanding down the surface of the brake caliper instead. But I think you have a painted one right?

SliChillax

Try a 1MM slip-on spacer. - it should work Most people also usually start sanding down the surface of the brake caliper instead. But I think you have a painted one right?
I was thinking of sanding the surface of the brake caliper and then repaint it again cause I can't find any slip on spacers. A friend of mine owns a body shop and offered to do it for free, that's the benefit of living in Albania.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Saw one of these again this morning. The guy must live near me. 1976 V8 Vantage.

It sounds like a lion gargling cream in a kettle drum.

qmxC673.jpg

Makki

Added a Neuspeed power module to the Golf R this weekend as a way to upgrade power without flagging the ECU counter, expecting a mild power boost, but holy crap 5 more PSI of boost made this car wake the hell up! I saw 21 psi on first gear on my boost gauge and it is scary fast compared to stock. The rest of the gears feel as powerful as one gear lower when it was stock, so 3rd gear pulls that feel like 2nd gear are giving me the heebiejeebies.

Unfortunately I bought a 6 MT so my clucth slips on 4th through 6th if I give full throttle between 3-4.5k RPM, so I will have to take it easy on the highway. Why VW would give the Golf R the same clutch hardware as a GTI baffles me.

Xdye7

Added a Neuspeed power module to the Golf R this weekend as a way to upgrade power without flagging the ECU counter, expecting a mild power boost, but holy crap 5 more PSI of boost made this car wake the hell up! I saw 21 psi on first gear on my boost gauge and it is scary fast compared to stock. The rest of the gears feel as powerful as one gear lower when it was stock, so 3rd gear pulls that feel like 2nd gear are giving me the heebiejeebies.

Unfortunately I bought a 6 MT so my clucth slips on 4th through 6th if I give full throttle between 3-4.5k RPM, so I will have to take it easy on the highway. Why VW would give the Golf R the same clutch hardware as a GTI baffles me.

A friend of mine had the same issue, there should be a map for 6mt with lower boost/torque or something like that, if I recall correctly

Saw one of these again this morning. The guy must live near me. 1976 V8 Vantage.

It sounds like a lion gargling cream in a kettle drum.

qmxC673.jpg

Not sure if it's the same model from 007: Living Daylights, but that is a beautiful car. Very muscular and aggressive. "I've had a few optional extras installed."

Futaba

Welp, not much I could do about the paint fade (damn you 80s-90s cars for using lead based paints), but there's no longer a thick layer of tree sap and dirt from 5 years of neglect.

Really needs the engine pulling and rebuilding but I'll do that once I get it shipped back to its birthplace in Japan :)

Crayon

Welp, not much I could do about the paint fade (damn you 80s-90s cars for using lead based paints), but there's no longer a thick layer of tree sap and dirt from 5 years of neglect.

Really needs the engine pulling and rebuilding but I'll do that once I get it shipped back to its birthplace in Japan :)

And what a fine engine you have in there. I love Toyota Celica.

matmanx1

I love just about everything about this particular car. That gen Celica was one of my high school dream cars, especially the turbo models.

Crayon

^^^ That's the best idea yet.

I regard the 3SGE and 3SGTE as being right up there with some of the best engines Toyota has ever made.
(and right up there with some of the best engines of all time)

You know... I'm going to have to TOTALLY FUCKING AGREE WITH YOU on that call. 3S is legendary!

3s-gte.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

nengun-147285-00-toyota-st202_3s-ge_beams_engine-63fef012fb.jpg

World class giant slayer at burger king prices.

maxresdefault.jpg

1997_TOMs_Supra1.jpg

It's like getting two thirds of a 2jz.

Here's mine:

YcrVfYY.jpg

Futaba

^^^ That's the best idea yet.

You know... I'm going to have to TOTALLY FUCKING AGREE WITH YOU on that call. 3S is legendary!
They're amazing as-is but I touched lucky when I picked up this GT4 back in 2009, as it has a forged block, everything about the engine itself is great but the gearbox needs swapping out for one from an ST205 (amazingly a bolt on swap), and new set of water and oil lines.

It's actually my third GT4, I've a white CS edition in bits and another red one without an engine, planning on doing a full rebuild on the one pictured above and possibly the CS version too at some point in the future, strip back to bare chassis, dipped and stripped, clean up any dodgy metal, new anti corrosion and seam sealant throughout, fresh (lead free!!) paint inside and out, basically a ground up rebuild.

Once I get all of my ducks in order I'll probably do a youtube channel for the restoration, not really focusing on production quality or going the way of b is for build, mcm etc, just a comprehensive follow along, and depending on how that goes, an MK1 MR2, AE86 and the other GT86 I bought..

Crayon

Futaba if you do the YouTube channel, please either post is here or pm me if you don't want to spam it here. I am specifically interested in that car and those engines and it would be great to follow along.

It's actually my third GT4, ...

What tire sizes do you prefer on these gt4s?

Once I get all of my ducks in order I'll probably do a youtube channel for the restoration, not really focusing on production quality or going the way of b is for build, mcm etc, just a comprehensive follow along, and depending on how that goes, an MK1 MR2, AE86 and the other GT86 I bought..

Definitely PM or let us know when/if you do a YouTube channel for those cars. I have never owned them but I'm a fan of some of those models, especially the MR2 and GT86.

negitoro7

I've been tempted to get a piggyback tune for my Golf R too. Curious why you chose the NPM over a JB4?

Makki

A friend of mine had the same issue, there should be a map for 6mt with lower boost/torque or something like that, if I recall correctly
Thats the JB1/JB4. A Neuspeed's choice is 5 PSI over stock boost or 7 PSI on 100 Octance lol

I've been tempted to get a piggyback tune for my Golf R too. Curious why you chose the NPM over a JB4?
The JB4 is 400+ with the cable and used rarely sells below 380. I got the Neuspeed for 200 bucks used. I'm not one to mess with maps so I would have just chosen the clutch saver map on the JB4, which makes the Neuspeed the same performance at a much lower entry point and it takes just 2 plugs to install.
I also read several threads of people not slipping on it, but they may have been GTIs for all I know.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Looks like mdern Bentleys to me. Was ugly at first. I got used to it awhile ago. I actually like it nowadays.

That interior...fucking finally! They've been using that ugly Volkswagen shifter for so damn long it drove me nuts. I like the car overall, and the interior is absolutely stunning.

The rear end, idk...I'd have to see it in person. It looks poor in pics.

Finally had the chance to test drive a non-PP Mk7 GTI today and I'm not gonna lie, I really liked it.

The problem is, the one I test drove had 55k miles and it was a 2015 model. It also might've been modded before as the wheels don't look stock and there's a blow-off valve installed.

On the other hand, it had the leather seats, backup camera, and more importantly the lighting package... and the price seems sweet, ringing below $20k.

If I can find another copy with the lighting package, and below 40k miles by this weekend... I may end up housing it in my garage lol.

But tomorrow I'll be test driving a FoST so we'll see where this goes.

Bandit1

Not bad for 5 years of neglect!

I like it, but,

Shoulda went full Speed 6 concept.

This.

v1lla21

Thats the JB1/JB4. A Neuspeed's choice is 5 PSI over stock boost or 7 PSI on 100 Octance lol

The JB4 is 400+ with the cable and used rarely sells below 380. I got the Neuspeed for 200 bucks used. I'm not one to mess with maps so I would have just chosen the clutch saver map on the JB4, which makes the Neuspeed the same performance at a much lower entry point and it takes just 2 plugs to install.
I also read several threads of people not slipping on it, but they may have been GTIs for all I know.
Yeah the mk7s have a better clutch than the shitty one found in the mk6. Might be GTIs since I haven't heard of them slipping in high gears.

I like the new Bentley. Looks pretty clean.

Found a base GTI with the PP but no lighting package.

Should I spring for it?

I know I can get the lights for under $600 in the aftermarket so I'm not really sure what to do lol.

matmanx1

Finally had the chance to test drive a non-PP Mk7 GTI today and I'm not gonna lie, I really liked it.

The problem is, the one I test drove had 55k miles and it was a 2015 model. It also might've been modded before as the wheels don't look stock and there's a blow-off valve installed.

On the other hand, it had the leather seats, backup camera, and more importantly the lighting package... and the price seems sweet, ringing below $20k.

If I can find another copy with the lighting package, and below 40k miles by this weekend... I may end up housing it in my garage lol.

But tomorrow I'll be test driving a FoST so we'll see where this goes.

As with most German products the maintenance history and/or a full warranty would be on my "must-have's" list. When VW's are working well they are a pleasure but when they aren't then the repairs can be almost as expensive and infuriating as a BMW or Audi.

I don't want to talk you out of buying a GTI but I also know that they aren't built to last in the same way that most Japanese cars are. In that way the Germans just have a different set of design parameters and a completely different philosophy than the Japanese.

As with most German products the maintenance history and/or a full warranty would be on my "must-have's" list. When VW's are working well they are a pleasure but when they aren't then the repairs can be almost as expensive and infuriating as a BMW or Audi.

I don't want to talk you out of buying a GTI but I also know that they aren't built to last in the same way that most Japanese cars are. In that way the Germans just have a different set of design parameters and a completely different philosophy than the Japanese.

You're absolutely correct and that's why I walked out of that dealer last night.

It didn't help that the starter button was faulty from the start... in that the car didn't start even if you pressed the button. It took a few tries to get it started lolol.

But yeah reliability is something that's been on the back of my mind with VW's. One faulty way of thinking I've got is that if I can spring for this, why not get a BMW instead? There's even a 320i with the 6MT nearby at 40k miles but of course, since it is a faulty way of thinking I'm probably not gonna go that route unless I can pull a Doug DeMuro and get a bumper to bumper warranty for it.

Idk lol.

What I do know is that I'm definitely starting to warm up to hot hatches. I was always sure that I would miss the RWD dynamics on the street but after last night, I think I'll be fine with fail wheel drive as long as it's got enough power to be fun.

Akim

Banned
So I went to go look at a 2014 Porsche Cayman S today. The dealership REFUSED to let me do a pre-purchase inspection. They kept saying Porsche doesn't do them and they will not have it done through a 3rd party.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Seems like the shadiest shit ever. Also they were complete cocks.

I just walked out in the middle of our conversation.

SliChillax

Should I spring for it?

I know I can get the lights for under $600 in the aftermarket so I'm not really sure what to do lol.

Depends how hard you're gonna push the car and how often. If it's just gonna be used as a normal Golf most of the time, don't bother with the PP.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Looks ok to me but the hotel I just stayed at had the <bentega? Boyega?> SUV and it is fucking hideous. They basically got a Q7 and ruined it.

So I went to go look at a 2014 Porsche Cayman S today. The dealership REFUSED to let me do a pre-purchase inspection. They kept saying Porsche doesn't do them and they will not have it done through a 3rd party.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Seems like the shadiest shit ever. Also they were complete cocks.

That's nonsense and you were right to walk away.

matmanx1

You're absolutely correct and that's why I walked out of that dealer last night.

It didn't help that the starter button was faulty from the start... in that the car didn't start even if you pressed the button. It took a few tries to get it started lolol.

But yeah reliability is something that's been on the back of my mind with VW's. One faulty way of thinking I've got is that if I can spring for this, why not get a BMW instead? There's even a 320i with the 6MT nearby at 40k miles but of course, since it is a faulty way of thinking I'm probably not gonna go that route unless I can pull a Doug DeMuro and get a bumper to bumper warranty for it.

Idk lol.

What I do know is that I'm definitely starting to warm up to hot hatches. I was always sure that I would miss the RWD dynamics on the street but after last night, I think I'll be fine with fail wheel drive as long as it's got enough power to be fun.

Completely anecdotal but my parents 2012 F30 328i has been trouble free up to 60k + miles outside of a brake light wire that was covered under warranty. But yeah if it were me doing it I would want a warranty. German car repair is expensive no matter who's name is on it.

That's just ridiculous. Porsche absolutely does them, especially if someone asks for one. You were completely right to walk out.

ameratsu

Idk lol.

If it's any consolation, I've owned my 2016 GTI for less than a month and I'm already taking it in for issues with kessy. Fitting welcome to German car ownership. :D

Malvolio

Should I spring for it?

Imo, that's best case scenario for a GTI. I absolutely prefer the cloth seats over the leather. The things it lacks that I would desire, lights and stereo, are easy aftermarket upgrades. Keyless is nice, but when it comes to German cars, the more electronics it has the scarier it gets later in life.

The base GTI might be the best value car on the market. It's a fantastic all around performer and feels so much more expensive than it is. I do enjoy the FoST as well, but it really feels a bit cheaper when it comes to fit and finish. I can't deny though that its manic nature makes it a bit more enjoyable during hard driving.

Crayon

Front wheel drive is underrated. I used to look down on it, but after driving enough fwd cars that were really good or even great, I had to admit it can work great and be tons of fun.

ameratsu

Imo, that's best case scenario for a GTI. I absolutely prefer the cloth seats over the leather. The things it lacks that I would desire, lights and stereo, are easy aftermarket upgrades. Keyless is nice, but when it comes to German cars, the more electronics it has the scarier it gets later in life.

The base GTI might be the best value car on the market. It's a fantastic all around performer and feels so much more expensive than it is. I do enjoy the FoST as well, but it really feels a bit cheaper when it comes to fit and finish. I can't deny though that its manic nature makes it a bit more enjoyable during hard driving.

I love the trims Americans can get for GTIs. Sadly in canada for 2017 models it goes base (3door) -> Autobahn (3/5 door) -> performance (5 door). And honestly who wants a 3 door over a 5 door for a daily?

"Performance" is fully loaded and includes magnetic ride (DCC) and driver assistance/self parking stuff (DAP) and is the only way to get the PP.

Malvolio

I love the trims Americans can get for GTIs. Sadly in canada for 2017 models it goes base (3door) -> Autobahn (3/5 door) -> performance (5 door). And honestly who wants a 3 door over a 5 door for a daily?

"Performance" is fully loaded and includes magnetic ride (DCC) and driver assistance/self parking stuff (DAP) and is the only way to get the PP.

I'm actually a huge fan of the 3 door. It's the main reason I focused on the GTI. Being a tall driver, I hate rear doors. Having the B pillar block my peripheral vision is unacceptable. Plus, I wanted a hot hatch not a station wagon.

This actually leads to my dilemma. I bought a 2016 3 door without PP because the price was amazing and I never did performance driving. However, my friends have gotten me into autox and now I desperately want the front diff. Unfortunately, VW discontinued the 3 door in the US. I guess the emissions scandal got me the amazing price, but cost me a chance to upgrade to my desired trim. Boo.

ameratsu

I'm actually a huge fan of the 3 door. It's the main reason I focused on the GTI. Being a tall driver, I hate rear doors. Having the B pillar block my peripheral vision is unacceptable. Plus, I wanted a hot hatch not a station wagon.

This actually leads to my dilemma. I bought a 2016 3 door without PP because the price was amazing and I never did performance driving. However, my friends have gotten me into autox and now I desperately want the front diff. Unfortunately, VW discontinued the 3 door in the US. I guess the emissions scandal got me the amazing price, but cost me a chance to upgrade to my desired trim. Boo.

I actually really like the look of the 3-door GTI, but after living with a coupe for the last 5 years I wouldn't want one again except as a weekend/fun car. Agree about the b-pillar but I make it work.

Yeah, if a dealership refuses to do a prepurchase inspection, you walk. Period. You'll find a good Cayman eventually, Akim. It just takes patience.

I've actually owned FWD cars most of my driving career. I think they're absolutely fine and you really don't lose much until you start getting into bigger and heavier cars with high torque engines. With my Accord V6 the limitations were obvious but when I had an Acura TSX it wasn't a problem, at all.

Put a big ass V6 up there and you better have a damn good suspension and an LSD. Otherwise you get torque steer and nasty understeer for DAYS.

With a 2 liter 4 cylinder, no problem at all.

Crayon

Yeah, if a dealership refuses to do a prepurchase inspection, you walk. Period. You'll find a good Cayman eventually, Akim. It just takes patience.

I've actually owned FWD cars most of my driving career. I think they're absolutely fine and you really don't lose much until you start getting into bigger and heavier cars with high torque engines. With my Accord V6 the limitations were obvious but when I had an Acura TSX it wasn't a problem, at all.

Put a big ass V6 up there and you better have a damn good suspension and an LSD. Otherwise you get torque steer and nasty understeer for DAYS.

With a 2 liter 4 cylinder, no problem at all.

Same here. I've found as the weight goes up, fwd will show more downsides. But even then, that weight threshold has been pushed up over the years as designs improve.

negitoro7

Ah that makes sense. Good to hear you're enjoying the NPM. I'm going to fight tooth and nail to resist the temptation to have my ECU and TCU tuned as I have extended warranty til 2022.

Yeah the mk7s have a better clutch than the shitty one found in the mk6. Might be GTIs since I haven't heard of them slipping in high gears.

By most accounts I've seen, the MK7 clutches are still hot garbage when there's any power added to them.

Should I spring for it?

General consensus is the lighting package is absolutely worth it and it doesn't work exactly the same if you buy lights in the aftermarket.

If it's any consolation, I've owned my 2016 GTI for less than a month and I'm already taking it in for issues with kessy. Fitting welcome to German car ownership. :D

FWIW, my MK6 GTI gave me very little trouble (only had 1 engine misfire after I had modded it to stage 2), and my MK7 R has been perfectly reliable in almost 2 years of ownership and 31,000 kms. Time will tell if it stays reliable but I won't mod the powertrain as I'm not entirely confident in it. From my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to move up in the VAG family to an Audi if budget allows next time.

Also for whoever said they're warming up to hot hatches: As a car guy who needs some practicality, lives in the city with tight parking, and refuses to drive a boring appliance, I could only ever own a hot hatch as my only vehicle. Coupled with the fact that the rush hour traffic is horrendous here so I don't want to drive manual anymore as a daily, the choice is really only between a GTI or R until Audi gives us hot Sportbacks again.

Same here. I've found as the weight goes up, fwd will show more downsides. But even then, that weight threshold has been pushed up over the years as designs improve.

Yeah, what they pulled off with the CTR for example is damned impressive. Even so, seems like the limit is around 300 HP max before things really start to go south, 250ish without special suspension bits and an LSD. And definitely not much over 3800 lbs.

I would have gotten the GTI Sport with the cloth but went with the GTI SE due to push start, stereo, and I never had a sunroof so I said fuck it, I want a sunroof.

If I could do it all over again, I would have just sprung for the Golf R. However, when the Mk8 Golf R comes in, I will trade in my '17 GTI and get the Mk8 Golf R.

Top Bottom