• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers, HDMI & PS4 Pro 4k / HDR

Foddzy

Neo Member
I have to wonder what the next big thing will be in multi-channel audio that will require yet another upgrade? Or, are we in the clear for a while?

Damn, getting multi-channel audio working with PC gaming has become confusing. I've got huge issues getting it to work with 1440p, losing audio if I unplug the 1080p secondary monitor I had to clone with the receiver or whatever frankenmanuever was required, or having my desktop wind up on the powered off cloned monitor, arrgh, it sucks.

I wonder how many have simply said enough with this and go with headphones and/or crappy old stereo on soundbars etc. the state of multi-channel audio for PC is a confusing mess.

ParityBit

According to the specs on Richer Sounds the HDMI inputs are not HDR friendly. Mistake? The 2 models below say they ARE HDR friendly.

What do you mean? It is HDMI 2.0a and everything I have read/reviews don't comment on not being friendly.

ParityBit

This is from the spec sheet ...

Equipped with 8 HDMI 2.0a inputs, including 1 conveniently located on the front panel, along with three HDMI outputs, the AVR-X4200W incorporates an advanced video processor that features support for 4K Ultra HD 60 Hz full rate video, 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling and 21:9 video pass-through, along with support for 3D content, HDR and BT.2020. The AVR-X4200W also features HDCP 2.2 compatibility on all HDMI inputs, a require- ment for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content. And, the video processor can also upscale analog and digital SD and HD video to 4K Ultra HD. Certi ed by the Imaging Science Foundation, the AVR-X4200W features a full suite of video calibration controls (for use by an ISF technician), along with ISF Day and ISF Night video modes.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
So I've settled for the Samung KS8000 65" tv and a Onkyo TX-NR656 receiver. Good choices?
I eagerly await your review of the two, at the moment I'm 90% sure I'll get a KS8000 and have come to the realisation that I may as well also upgrade to a proper 4K receiver.

Are there any tests out there for input lag caused by the receiver in 4K HDR setup, or because the image is just being passed through (presumably) would it be negligible?

Putty

This is from the spec sheet ...

Equipped with 8 HDMI 2.0a inputs, including 1 conveniently located on the front panel, along with three HDMI outputs, the AVR-X4200W incorporates an advanced video processor that features support for 4K Ultra HD 60 Hz full rate video, 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling and 21:9 video pass-through, along with support for 3D content, HDR and BT.2020. The AVR-X4200W also features HDCP 2.2 compatibility on all HDMI inputs, a require- ment for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content. And, the video processor can also upscale analog and digital SD and HD video to 4K Ultra HD. Certi ed by the Imaging Science Foundation, the AVR-X4200W features a full suite of video calibration controls (for use by an ISF technician), along with ISF Day and ISF Night video modes.

I hear ya, clearly the specs tab on the Richer Sounds site is incorrect. They have red cross right next to "HDR compatible HDMI"...

ParityBit

I hear ya, clearly the specs tab on the Richer Sounds site is incorrect. They have red cross right next to "HDR compatible HDMI"...

I got it too. I was cursing under my breath because I remember reading everything was good! So I went to the Denon site to make sure :)

According to the specs on Richer Sounds the HDMI inputs are not HDR friendly. Mistake? The 2 models below say they ARE HDR friendly.

I have the X4200W and yes it supports HDR and Rec.2020, they are part of the HDMI 2.0a spec.

Do yourself a favor and seriously go through the setup process for Audyssey. I mean, use a tripod for the included mic, make sure your room is absolutely quiet, place the tripod at your ear height when seated, unplug your fridge if you have to do when doing this, don't talk or make any noise, and let it go through the automatic setup. Once you've been through it once never feel hesitant to repeat it if you can make it even quieter or if you shift your speakers and sub. It's worth it, the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 in the X4200W is incredible in auto-calibrating your setup for your room.

Rodin

Out of curiosity, why is everyone sleeping on this receiver?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G5XKNKW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've had nothing but good experiences with Pioneer in the past, and this specific model is at least 200 dollars cheaper than the next option that I've seen in this thread.

This is the cheapest option in this thread. I have both in my amazon wishlist (and btw, the Pioneer is 60€ more expensive than the Yamaha in Italy).

Think my next reciever will be the Marantz SR7010 as I'm going for a Dolby Atmos / DTS-X 5.1.4 surround setup in the living room. While it will be more for movies, it will be a great receiver for gaming too.

http://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/products/pages/productdetails.aspx?catid=hometheatre&subcatid=avreceiver&productid=sr7010

That's a 2000$ receiver. What speakers do you use with it?

GrayDock

Is there any HDMI splitters with hdcp 2.2 and hdr support? If Yes you can use it to split the signal to your tv and receiver.
I think it would be cheaper than replacing your receiver.

That's a 2000$ receiver. What speakers do you use with it?

Yeah I'm pretty serious when it comes to my AV equipment. I'm not sure what speakers I'm going for yet, in the middle of checking out reviews to see what has decent sound / value for money.

I'm a little tight on space so they won't be the biggest, top end speakers but already seen some smaller speakers that have reviewed very well and punch above their weight when it comes to sound quality.

Out of curiosity, why is everyone sleeping on this receiver?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G5XKNKW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've had nothing but good experiences with Pioneer in the past, and this specific model is at least 200 dollars cheaper than the next option that I've seen in this thread.

If I had to choose between Denon and Pio, I'd choose Pio everytime.

That's just from my expereince with DJ gear though. Pioneer gear is quality.

Yeah I'm pretty serious when it comes to my AV equipment. I'm not sure what speakers I'm going for yet, in the middle of checking out reviews to see what has decent sound / value for money.

I'm a little tight on space so they won't be the biggest, top end speakers but already seen some smaller speakers that have reviewed very well and punch above their weight when it comes to sound quality.

You are seriously wasting the money on a $2000 receiver if you're only planning on using small bookshelf/satellite speakers. It's amperage you simply won't need or ever use.

Check out the AVR I just posted. Denon is know for better build quality to. Although my last one had a bad HDMI board. Lol.

Thanks. I changed my receiver order to the Denon AVR-X4200W. It was only £70 more than the Onkyo one I was about to get and this Denon one seems like its better quality and future proof (it has 4k+HDR on all inputs and sound seems to be really good based on the reviews).

Hopefully my current speakers aren't gonna be low quality for the Denon receiver and I will notice some jump in quality with the audio. My current speakers are these
http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/sks-ht528-43122.html

If a new Receiver is necessary, what is the latest version of the one i have that is suitable?

I have the exact same receiver. Just experimented with connecting everything directly to the TV and passing the audio from the TV to the receiver via ARC. Everything if working perfectly. Had to drop down to 5.1 dolby digital but its uch cheaper than buying a new receiver. Had to go into the receivers HDMI settings and enable CEC & ARC manually to make it all connect.

ParityBit

Thanks. I changed my receiver order to the Denon AVR-X4200W. It was only £70 more than the Onkyo one I was about to get and this Denon one seems like its better quality and future proof (it has 4k+HDR on all inputs and sound seems to be really good based on the reviews).

Hopefully my current speakers aren't gonna be low quality for the Denon receiver and I will notice some jump in quality with the audio. My current speakers are these

This is my first day with it. I had another Denon which I just replaced and was using a Sony while I waited. The cost is amazing for what you get. I updated the firmware this morning to get the DTS upgrade. The DTS auto convert up to DTS Neutral:X is really great. You need to calibrate it though with the mic and Aud software for the real changes with the calibrations. I have not yet because I have no time (Football on) and you need your place deathly quiet. I have a 2 year old and wife running around. Haha! I will wait until I am home alone.

My issue with my last Denon was a Handshake issue, which is common with all AVRs really. So far this one has been smooth.

Did I mention the price for what you get is amazing? I hope so.

Now I need my Klipsch speakers. Next month!

You are seriously wasting the money on a $2000 receiver if you're only planning on using small bookshelf/satellite speakers. It's amperage you simply won't need or ever use.

While it is a bit overkill, I'm not going cheap rubbish, I'm still looking in the 500-1000 price range but there are some great quality satellite speakers out there from the likes of Q Acoustics and satellite speakers have come on leaps and bounds in recent years.

Plus the receiver is future proof, so when I get more space, I can get bigger, even better speakers. I could get a 5.1.2 Atoms amp cheaper but I'm going for future proof and 5.1.4 Atmos just sounds better, with the option to upgrade to 7.1.4 in the future too.

ParityBit

While it is a bit overkill, I'm not going cheap rubbish, I'm still looking in the 500-1000 price range but there are some great quality satellite speakers out there from the likes of Q Acoustics and satellite speakers have come on leaps and bounds in recent years.

Plus the receiver is future proof, so when I get more space, I can get bigger, even better speakers. I could get a 5.1.2 Atoms amp cheaper but I'm going for future proof and 5.1.4 Atmos just sounds better, with the option to upgrade to 7.1.4 in the future too.

Don't forget you can get an amp down the road if needed. Just something to think about. So many options!

Don't forget you can get an amp down the road if needed. Just something to think about. So many options!

Yeah thats why I'm taking my time picking my setup, I'm always checking what options will fit my needs the most and reading multiple reviews to see pros and cons of equipment.

Should also consider checking out the Denon X6300H or Anthem MRX 1120 if you are going to eventually move to 7.X.4 both have 11 built in amps so you can do it without the need of an extra external amp. though with the Denon you can amp assign and bi amp your fronts if you aren't using the extra channels.

D23

Dammit,

i didnt even think about the receiver... ive been running Yahama V377 for the longest time. Planning to get a 4k TV soon and now i have to upgrade my receiver? wow.

no thanks.

People realize that you can use an HDMI Audio Return Channel and possibly avoid upgrading your AVR,

Keep in mind that if you want to use the new UHD audio formats such as Dolby Atmos, many TV's and receivers do not support those formats over ARC.

AVS forum has a list of equipment which does support it (even then, many users say it is extremely flaky -- it's a lot of data to push through one cable on top of video): http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...olby-digital-plus-dd-atmos-over-hdmi-arc.html

I have the Onkyo TX-NR646. It is 4k and HDR compatible and it supports HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. It also has Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support. I really like Onkyo, they make really good receivers.

I have the TX-NR747. The website says no HDR support. Why?! Isn't this the next model up?

III-V

Keep in mind that if you want to use the new UHD audio formats such as Dolby Atmos, many TV's and receivers do not support those formats over ARC.

AVS forum has a list of equipment which does support it (even then, many users say it is extremely flaky -- it's a lot of data to push through one cable on top of video): http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...olby-digital-plus-dd-atmos-over-hdmi-arc.html

Thats true, but if you have an old AVR, it likely does not support these formats either.

I got the Onkyo TX-NR545.

Seems pretty great so far, though somewhat questionable with stereo sources. By the way never use anything other than dolby digital or all channel stereo with those types of sources. Dear god is it bad if you do.

My mistake. I have the 737. Not the 747. No HDR. What are my options? Slit the signal? One to TV and one to receiver? Can't use optical since I have 7.1.

Only one HDMI output on the PS4 models and One S. Can't split anything. Have to use optical or audio return channel which comes with its own set of problems because of hdmi cec. Not even sure if audio return channel will do 7.1 because I have never used it. Now if you are talking about a stand alone blu ray player like the samsung, panasonic or philips then yeah split it.

The Goat

I purchased a Denon AVR-X3300W a month or so ago, and it is fantastic. Easiest setup I've ever had with a receiver. I wanted Atmos and DTS X capability, plus 4K when I decide to upgrade the TV.

Only one HDMI output on the PS4 models and One S. Can't split anything. Have to use optical or audio return channel which comes with its own set of problems because of hdmi cec. Not even sure if audio return channel will do 7.1 because I have never used it. Now if you are talking about a stand alone blu ray player like the samsung, panasonic or philips then yeah split it.
This
What about something like this....
HDMI splitter

I want split the signal from the PS4 Pro to TV and receiver.

This
What about something like this....
HDMI splitter

I want split the signal from the PS4 Pro to TV and receiver.

Something like that should work. What would happen if you went PS4 Pro to AVR then AVR to TV is it would pass the 4K signal without HDR, everything else would work so passing it through that and splitting it first should work fine. assuming that will pass HDR. If so you are in business. If it doesn't pass it then your back where you started.

It looks like it would work though

LilJoka

Will I notice a jump in sound quality by using the Demon AVR X4200W with the current speakers I use with my old one?

These:

I've bought the X4200W and should be here over the weekend.. I guess if I don't notice any difference in sound quality with those speakers I can always upgrade the speakers seperately down the road.

Maybe a little, but it's quite unlikely. Those speakers are not hard to drive.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I purchased a Denon AVR-X3300W a month or so ago, and it is fantastic. Easiest setup I've ever had with a receiver. I wanted Atmos and DTS X capability, plus 4K when I decide to upgrade the TV.

Yea, at that price point, the Denon AVR's are the way to go. I have the 2200W myself and it's fantastic.

BHK3

Banned
I'm looking at that super cheap Pioneer and Yamaha option, I currently have this that I bought last year. Is the pioneer or Yamaha gonna be a downgrade in any way? I really feel like I had the rug pulled out from under me with all this 4k hdr hdcp stuff

Cartman86

Banned
You monsters. Why did I have to see this thread. Saw that Denon 4200 and had to jump on it. I hope my previous research is accurate. Going piecemeal here with this then the TV at some point this year. Probably don't even have good enough speakers for this thing right now, but my current setup is a fucking nightmare of daisy-chained HDMI 4x2 HDMI switches so I can see everything on multiple displays and from the research i've done HDMI full Ultra HD switches are not cheap anyways. I'm hoping finally buying a receiver (the one I have is used from over 10 years ago) with multi outs will solve this rats nest (and IR nightmare). Either way i'm sure I will have to deal with the problem of a different resolutions and other unsupported features for my desk non-4k display, not to mention wireless headsets that use optical. I hate this shit
(I love it)

Maybe a little, but it's quite unlikely. Those speakers are not hard to drive.

Which speakers would you recommend to go with the Denon ones? I'd have to have the front ones either floor standing or on speaker stands and the two rear ones on speaker stands at the back of the couch. Budget is about £500-600 on speakers

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Which speakers would you recommend to go with the Denon ones? I'd have to have the front ones either floor standing or on speaker stands and the two rear ones on speaker stands at the back of the couch. Budget is about £500-600 on speakers

I think at that price range you should maybe look at the DALI Zensor set or the ELAC debut set. Your budget may not allow for the floorstanders though. I have the ELAC set and they are fantastic, I'd highly recommend them.

I think Q Acoustics have a good set at that price range too.

Top Bottom