• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron | Production Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
Except for the spider section. the Ultimate Universe should be nullified and never mentioned again. I weep for people's who's only experience to the characters was the ultimate universe.

I weep more when people prefer those bastardized versions.

I don't understand the hate for the Ultimate universe. I've enjoyed what I've read so far. I'm about to read Ultimatum here in about a week. So I guess I'll see how it "ends" soon.

I've been re-reading The entire infinity saga and it really is insane how powerful Thanos is with the infinity gauntlet. I mean, he takes down eternity, the celestials including Galactus, lord chaos and master order, silver surfer and cronos. Thats after beating the entire lineup of earths heroes. They going to have to nerf him considerably in Avenegers 3 if they give him the gauntlet.

Also I had forgotten how good Jim Starlin was. Great big Sci-fi pulpy space adventures. Excellant stuff.

Marvel is releasing an Infinity Gauntlet omnibus later this year.

Slayven

I don't understand the hate for the Ultimate universe. I've enjoyed what I've read so far. I'm about to read Ultimatum here in about a week. So I guess I'll see how it "ends" soon.

Marvel is releasing an Infinity Gauntlet omnibus later this year.

They just made the characters assholes for no good reason and added shock for shock's sake.

jax

Banned
After Thanos? Civil War would be a great way to introduce X-Men and Spider man properties. Secret Invasion could also be used.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
No. No no no no no no no no no no no no no

yeah it was till Avengers Disassembled/ Messiah Complex/ House of M in that 2004 time period when 616 came back strong. I still think knights was better than ultimate line but ...i dont know if it was initially 616 stuff i thought knights was separate and Maxx. Not saying 616 in the early 00's was as bad as it was like during late 90's heroes reborn and stuff...but Ultimate FF, Xmen, Spiderman, and Ultimates was pretty good at the time, no surprise they are using it in the movies.

Its shit now and has Ga Lak Tus / Galactus killed them yet or did they pull some reboot bullshit kill it with FIRE and HUNGER marvel.

Blader

As bad as the Ultimate universe became, and as unbearable Millar and Bendis' writing is now, Ultimates 1 and 2 and the first 50-60 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man are still pretty damn excellent.

No. No no no no no no no no no no no no no

Nah, Ultimates was really good, but that's exactly what it does. Millar rewrote everybody as assholes. Captain America is unrecognizable. Tony Stark and Thor are the only ones reinterpreted in a more fun way, but they're both still pricks.

It is also notably the last series Grant Morrison gave Mark Millar input on before their falling out. You'll notice the man has written literally nothing of worth since... So perhaps look into Morrison a bit?

As for being better than 616, that's impossible because there are waaaaay too many 616 stories. Hell, The Authority, which Ultimates is a watered down version of, is itself far better. Marvel's own Squadron Supreme also hits some similar notes. But perhaps Ultimates seems more radical and fresh when you haven't read that stuff.

Did you guys not read the first 100 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man, Brian K. Vaughns Ultimate X-Men run, the first 18 issues of Ultimate Fantastic Four and the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy???

Is there an Ultimate universe version of Ultron?

Yeah, but he's nowhere near as interesting. The Ultrons were created by Pym alongside Vision II to be a peacekeeping robot, and as servants to the Ultimates. One of them becomes self-aware and grows infatuated with Wanda, and kills her upon learning of her incestuous relationship with Pietro. Then he takes Pym's identity and builds his own android Ultimates team and they get wrecked by the real Ultimates, and Doom was controlling him all along.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Here's a better look at the Hulk head:

2tge.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
I think Tony has to die. He's the one who looks like he'd bow out first, and I need Ultron or Thanos to actually have some discernible threat level about them. My main criticism of the Avengers is that I just didn't give a shit about anyone in it. There was just no danger to anyone.

Blader

My guess is Iron Man will die in either Avengers 2 or 3, then it'll be revealed in the post-credits that it was a remote-piloted suit and Tony and Pepper are actually vacationing in the Caribbean or something. IM3's plane sequence set that up too clearly for them to not use.

PsychBat!

Banned
I don't understand the hate for the Ultimate universe. I've enjoyed what I've read so far. I'm about to read Ultimatum here in about a week. So I guess I'll see how it "ends".

Ugh, you actually liked the turdfest that was titled Ultimates 3? That's... I don't know... no words.

I still don't understand why they don't make a Hawkeye solo movie based on the current comic series. I know Jeremy Renner can pull it off, he was great in the criminally short lived tv series "the Unusuals" and I feel like that could be a good general vibe for the Hawkeye movie

Alienous

I think Tony has to die. He's the one who looks like he'd bow out first, and I need Ultron or Thanos to actually have some discernible threat level about them. My main criticism of the Avengers is that I just didn't give a shit about anyone in it. There was just no danger to anyone.

It makes too much sense. A threat is needed, someone else can inhabit the suit, the ending of Iron Man 3, the supposed origin of Ultron, Downey not getting any younger. I wouldn't open the film with his death, but it feels like this should be the end of Tony Stark in the MCU. What are they going to do, Iron Man 4?

My guess is Iron Man will die in either Avengers 2 or 3, then it'll be revealed in the post-credits that it was a remote-piloted suit and Tony and Pepper are actually vacationing in the Caribbean or something. IM3's plane sequence set that up too clearly for them to not use.

They should take the ending of The Dark Knight Rises verbatim, with AI Jarvis replacing Alfred.

JdFoX187

Banned
It makes too much sense. A threat is needed, someone else can inhabit the suit, the ending of Iron Man 3, the supposed origin of Ultron, Downey not getting any younger. I wouldn't open the film with his death, but it feels like this should be the end of Tony Stark in the MCU. What are they going to do, Iron Man 4?

There's too much incentive NOT to kill Iron Man. There have already been breadcrumbs laid for some very interesting storylines dealing with him. I think they'll either kill Stark and put someone else in the suit, or they'll figure out some clever way of recasting him. Perhaps having him resurrected by the Infinity Gauntlet or something.

Besides, he's their most profitable franchise, there's no way they'll kill him off for good.

I think it would be more interesting for him to be using the remote-piloted suit, and then whatever bunker he was hanging out in gets demolished, killing him. Then JARVIS takes over controlling the suit with absolutely nobody the wiser.

Well, until after the battle, at least.

It would be a twist on the expectations.

LaNaranja

Yea, I think they need to kill some heroes off in Avengers 2. Honestly, Rhodey is my favorite comic book character and he has constantly received no action in the movies. I would be ok with the army sending him in to fight Ultron one on one and getting killed in an action scene that finally did him justice (a guy can dream). He is the only character that looks disposable and would be able to get Stark back in the game. Looking back, they really should have introduced more characters in Phase 2. The only one we are getting is Falcon (and the GotG). Phase 3 looks like it will be doing a better job of introducing more characters with both the movies and the Netflix shows.

Which heroes are appearing?

Captain America
Thor
Hulk
Iron Man
Black Widow
Hawkeye
Iron Patriot (?)
Falcon (?)

And then we have Vision, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch all probably switching sides at some point.

LaNaranja

Is he? I thought he was still in Asgard at the end of The Dark World. I guess his old allies being in trouble would be enough, but it wouldn't fit the theme of the heroes having personal battles in this sequel.

Nope he is on earth, I don't think it was even a post credits scene.

As for the other thing, I think they should have someone like Hulk go against Ultron alone at the beginning and completely get their ass kicked in order to get everyones attention while establishing Ultron as powerful. Hulk seemed to be the strongest dude in Avengers so having him lose would probably be enough to bring everyone back together.

Nope he is on earth, I don't think it was even a post credits scene.

As for the other thing, I think they should have someone like Hulk go against Ultron alone at the beginning and completely get their ass kicked in order to get everyones attention while establishing Ultron as powerful. Hulk seemed to be the strongest dude in Avengers so having him lose would probably be enough to bring everyone back together.

I hear this a lot, but I don't think this would be the best way to go about it. I think that it would be more interesting to have Ultron tear the team unity apart simply by preying on their insecurities and lingering resentment. This would work really well if Ultron, like, infects JARVIS or something.

For instance, it would be ridiculously easy for an intelligent AI to get Banner to just get fed up with the whole situation and take off. Cap will probably be half-way convinced that the government is evil by the end of Cap 2, so that would be simple. Tony Stark is most of the way there. Thor could be kept out of the loop.

It's more insidious but still shows the same thing: that brute force won't work against an enemy like this.

Of course, if they want to just go the punchy-punchy route, I guess that's alright, too.

There's too much incentive NOT to kill Iron Man. There have already been breadcrumbs laid for some very interesting storylines dealing with him. I think they'll either kill Stark and put someone else in the suit, or they'll figure out some clever way of recasting him. Perhaps having him resurrected by the Infinity Gauntlet or something.

Besides, he's their most profitable franchise, there's no way they'll kill him off for good.
Have Pym discover a way to go to other universes. Then send a team there to get the Tony Stark from another universe. They could recast him and they could cast anyone.

jond76

Banned
I hear this a lot, but I don't think this would be the best way to go about it. I think that it would be more interesting to have Ultron tear the team unity apart simply by preying on their insecurities and lingering resentment. This would work really well if Ultron, like, infects JARVIS or something.

For instance, it would be ridiculously easy for an intelligent AI to get Banner to just get fed up with the whole situation and take off. Cap will probably be half-way convinced that the government is evil by the end of Cap 2, so that would be simple. Tony Stark is most of the way there. Thor could be kept out of the loop.

It's more insidious but still shows the same thing: that brute force won't work against an enemy like this.

Of course, if they want to just go the punchy-punchy route, I guess that's alright, too.

But that's almost exactly how it played out on the helicarrier in the first film. Ending with Banner going bonkers.

But that's almost exactly how it played out on the helicarrier in the first film. Ending with Banner going bonkers.

It parallels, certainly, but this wouldn't be Hulk going berserk, just Banner getting fed up and quietly taking off. And I'd say it would mainly be the fault of Tony Stark. I dunno why, but I really think we're going to see in this movie that the honeymoon there is officially over.

Though, the more I think about it, this seems like a better way for him to end the movie rather than start it. This could be my subconscious and eternal desire for a good solo Hulk film speaking, of course.

Hulk getting beaten up by Ultron doesn't really make a huge amount of sense to me, though. Sure, he got killed off in the comic, but the comic also kinda sucked and dealt with weird time travel and brutal murder... probably not going to be in the film. I mean if Ultron goes and beats up Hulk, why isn't he killing Cap, Black Widow, and Hawkeye at the same time? Did they just not show up? Does he have a busy schedule?

It ups the ante, sure, but it leaves a bunch of gaping plot holes. I'd figure it more likely that Ultron more uses altitude and range to make himself a target that can't be smashed easily. I mean, he can fly, right? Hulk can reach the altitudes, but he can't change direction mid flight, so it would be ridiculously easy for Ultron to just never get into any sort of engagement range and keep the fight to only Iron Man and Thor, who wouldn't be able to take him alone. It would be more of a case of Hulk being completely useless in the fight, rather than getting creamed. It also allows for a change in strategy, or the addition of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, to change the game at the end.

Basically, if Hulk gets beaten up at the beginning by raw strength, there's no plausible way to overcome that in time for the end. If he, for some reason, can't get to the fight, strategy and planning could fix this.

There's another alternative that would spawn off of the theory that Ultron takes over/is JARVIS... in which case, he would have the ability to build and control dozens of Iron Man suits at once. That alone could serve to spread out the heroes enough and up the ante without having to resort to a devastating unbeatable attack.

tl;dr Ultron out-physicallying Hulk isn't a particularly clever way of showing that Ultron is powerful and cunning and it requires an inordinate suspension of disbelief to come up with a reason why any of the other heroes survive this confrontation.

The madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets. Hulk is the strongest there is!

They haven't actually introduced that concept in the MCU. They could potentially add it into Ultron, but as a plot device, it's kinda weak.

Ultron was too strong the first time around, so we just pissed off the Hulk a whole bunch and then we won.

It doesn't give the other characters anything to do and makes the whole fight about Hulk and... wait. I suddenly love this idea. Carry on with this idea of making Avengers 2 a stealth Hulk movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom