• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banksy Opens Disneyland-Inspired Amusement Park, Welcome to Dismalland

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_nte1wy0yNz1qz6f9yo3_1280.jpg

This is fantastic.

I just got this...

Acorn

Much deep. So art. Very Banksy.
Eh the entire point of his art is that it isn't very deep and is easily communicated.

Would you rather a modern art painting of multicoloured lines that represent the tulip crisis?

PillarEN

I quite like the Princess Di reference too. It's still relevant today from a celebrity culture standpoint. Didn't think this theme park would ruffle that many feathers just because it would appeal to hipsters and slacktivists.

d9b

Banned
Eh the entire point of his art is that it isn't very deep and is easily communicated.

Would you rather a modern art painting of multicoloured lines that represent the tulip crisis?
Banksy. So edgy. He's down with da kidz.

how-do-you-do-fellow-kids-reaction-gif-steve-buscemi_thumb.gif

Well if you're going to build a shithole, Weston-super-Mare is the right place. I used to live there in a building sandwiched miserably between two retirement homes with a view of the grey sky, grey sea and miles of greasy mud - er, sorry, beach.

ZIE5MVq.jpg

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside... 🎶

Best thing about Banksy was Exit Through the Gift Shop, because it was so self aware and ironic

This I guess is him trying to take things to another level because tagging became either too hip or passe, but honestly this just doesn't work for me

Nearly shark jumpingly meaningless pot shots at an easy target. But it looks like a lot of work went into it, so...

Looks good.

I like the phrase: Entry-Level Anarchism.

Disneyland not being as happy as it's facade is pretty well worn territory, but I get the sense that Banksy might be having some fun with the fact that Disney is one the first big sources of disillusionment for many people.

The balloons with the phrase "I am an Imbecile" are a bit too on the nose. Either Banksy is toying with the flavors of teenage angst, or maybe he's lost it.

Zaphod

The edge.

so angsty and edgy

the edge, it hurts

Wow so d33p.

Much deep. So art. Very Banksy.

3deep5me, totes impress.

Banksy. So edgy. He's down with da kidz.

I guess this is the point, but it just looks like shit. I guess it's ~2deep4me~

Such original and insightful comments.

d9b

Banned
Am i wrong for thinking Banksy is too pretentious? Sometimes his stuff feels like he's so full of himself.

That simpsons couch gag he did felt so...hollow, like he sold out too.
Guess that's what happens when you become establishment's darling... You try to stay edgy and relevant too hard.

aku:jiki

Wow so d33p.
Are you even old enough to get it, though? It's not trying to be "d33p", it's a sculpture about a sad and shameful day for the UK likely made by an UK artist. Totally valid reason for a sculpture and actually the exact same concept as many masterpieces of art throughout history.

No, I am not calling it a masterpiece. Just saying that major events is a pretty common theme for art. Royalty dying for a useless reason is generally considered a major event. Why am I explaining this to fools who just want to make "edgy" driveby posts complaining about how "edgy" everything else is?

213372bu

Banned
Oh my gosh, I love me some Edgy Whacked-out Disney(tm)! Edgy Whacked-out Mickey(tm) is my favorite! I put him on my phone! I put him on my laptop! I put him on my shoes! It really shows the man when I buy all this Edgy Whacked-out Mickey(tm) merch! This is like a dream come true! On top of this, you're telling me I get to rock-out to my favorite bands? I absolutely looovee most of the bands already announced, and have been at all their concerts and buy up all their latest merchandise!

At what point do we make an ironic hipster amusement park?

I live in Bristol (home of Banksy) so I benefit from living a brief half-hour train ride away from Weston-Super-Mare. It's a super depressing shit-hole of a seaside town, so I appreciate his choice of location for a sarcastic amusement park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom