• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Messi

Jessica Jones and Daredevil are now both watched. Out of the two, I think I liked JJ a bit more. Now it's time to start Orange is the New Black. Based on the amount of nudity in the first 20 seconds, I'm going to like this show.

Front loaded boobs FYI. But I do love that show.

Messi

Messi, HALP. I think Switch is one of my favorite comics right now. Top 5, easy.

EASY

I was in the store today and they had #2 variant cover (the one Sejic is using as an avatar) for $35 and I'm like....brah you know how hard Sejic tries to sell his books. That shit ain't gonna sell for 35, you crazy.

The fight scene in the first issue was awesome and so empowering. She felt like a badass. Sejic is clearly enjoying writing Mary. Her little brother is also awesome.

Yeah I like her. Una is also cool. Sejic creates cool characters.

Was the monster thing a design of his? I loved the way that thing looked.

I'm not sure how much of this stuff is his and how much is existing Darkness/Witchblade material, but I'm hugely happy with Switch, on the whole.

Messi

This Witchblade cooler than actual Witchblade.

Truth

Was the monster thing a design of his? I loved the way that thing looked.

I'm not sure how much of this stuff is his and how much is existing Darkness/Witchblade material, but I'm hugely happy with Switch, on the whole.

Mostly all his. I believe that monster was all his. I remember seeing that design a year or two ago on his deviant art.

Sejic has always been great at monster design. See death vigil and rat queens/ravine

Messi

I might have to.

Definitely try Death Vigil if you like his type of characters and monsters, it's all in one trade. 8 issues. And is just lovely.

tgG2HZJ.jpg

zRcHNeH.jpg

Man I love death vigil. I hope we get more.

Owzers

Carrrrrrrrrrrrrrl. Walking Dead time! I've been saying "carl" in a weird rick accent from to time to time to get ready.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How do you guys check if an issue of some comic is the last or not? Like with a tv show for example you can just go on wikipedia and check by season. Is there a good site for that with comics? Maybe listing them by volumes or something?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Sorry for the total ignorance, but is Alias kind of like Marvel's version of a Vertigo comic? Or is it way more conventional than that?

Sorry for the total ignorance, but is Alias kind of like Marvel's version of a Vertigo comic? Or is it way more conventional than that?

Well Alias is under Marvel's MAX imprint, which is basically their R-rated line of comics. So more explicit content than your mainstream Marvel book.

Definitely try Death Vigil if you like his type of characters and monsters, it's all in one trade. 8 issues. And is just lovely.
Man I love death vigil. I hope we get more.

It's on my wishlist(I swear, I thought I purchased it already). It will be part of my winter reading.

Owzers

Walking Dead mid-season finale was awful. *waits for next issue of the comic*

Also, I read Silver Surfer #11 on MU today and definitely thought "why does this comic look like this?" so i googled the issue and sure enough it's a very printy issue that they did not capture at all digitally.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Well Alias is under Marvel's MAX imprint, which is basically their R-rated line of comics. So more explicit content than your mainstream Marvel book.
Are any MAX books really good if you're a Vertigo fan?

VanWinkle

Batman Endgame was incredible. I didn't think I was ready for another Joker story already, but I loved it. Snyder makes it unique. And Greg Capullo absolutely CRUSHING it on the art, like always. My goodness. That last issue is breathtaking.

It depends what on exactly a "Vertigo book" means to you.

I am assuming he means more self-contained series that aren't heavily dependent on the regular superhero universes. (Sandman, Y The Last Man, Fables, etc)

Are any MAX books really good if you're a Vertigo fan?

I don't think there are any in MAX. Maybe you should look at series in Marvel's Icon and Epic imprints.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icon_Comics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Comics

Criminal and Incognito I can definitely recommend.

Casanova is well regarded too, though I haven't gotten around to it yet.

VanWinkle

What in the world, I was looking in the back cover of my Marvel Now omnibus, and EIGHT of the thirty issues within are Avengers related, lol (Uncanny Avengers, A+X, Avengers Assemble, Avengers, Avengers Arena, Young Avengers, New Avengers, and Secret Avengers). That's kind of insane to me as a Marvel newbie.

mattiewheels

It depends what exactly a "Vertigo book" means to you.
Oh, well definitely a huge fan of the original books like Sandman and Hellblazer, and something about this Alias book struck me as having a kind of Hellblazer aspect to it.

I am assuming he means more self-contained series that aren't heavily dependent on the regular superhero universes. (Sandman, Y The Last Man, Fables, etc)
Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. Just curious to see if Marvel would ever try their hand at (forgive me) mature titles like DC did.

PsychBat!

Banned
What in the world, I was looking in the back cover of my Marvel Now omnibus, and EIGHT of the thirty issues within are Avengers related, lol (Uncanny Avengers, A+X, Avengers Assemble, Avengers, Avengers Arena, Young Avengers, New Avengers, and Secret Avengers). That's kind of insane to me as a Marvel newbie.

You should have seen X-Men.

Boogiepop

Yay, but also craaaap! Fantagraphics has their Cyber Monday sale up now. I realized with Amazon's coupon code could get me the new Don Rosa box set a few bucks cheaper, so after comparing on Fantagraphics' site, I placed the order... and I accidentally absentmindedly added it on Fantagraphics as well! Here's hoping their customer service is willing to remove it from the order.

Still can't believe my stupid self. Wish they would've shown the order in total in a clear manner before letting you confirm ala most sites, as that would've prevented this...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Does anyone know if #18 was the last issue from current Punisher?

Pretty depressing ending if so

Squire

Banned

I mean, it was 2012, no? Makes a lot of marketing sense in that context.

Vyer

OK, first issue of Black Magick got my attention. Rucka doing generally Rucka things (though this is definitely still a 'setup' issue) and I really dug Scott's arc.

On to #2.

Put in an IST order before I screw up and forget to order tomorrow

Material vol 1
Injection vol 1
Sandman Overture
Descender vol 1
Deadly Class vol 2
Starlight vol 1
Chrononauts vol 1
Wolf vol 1
Low vol 2

add in from my jet order
Secret Avengers vol 2
Monster by Urasawa vol 4
Prison School vol 2
Vagabond Vizbig vol 6-10
Solanin

and my cheap graphic novels dot com order

Lazarus vol 2 and 3
Metabarons
Screaming Plant

my amazon order of
Madwoman of the Sacred Heart by Jodo and Moebius

I dropped by Half Price Books and sold some old books I probably wont reread or pick up and marvel at the art and bought

Ody C vol 1
Ultimates by Millar and Hitch OHC vol 2 (to replace my tpbs. the back matter looks good. tons of hitch pencil pages)

Including gifts to others:
Before Watchmen. Both the JMS and Azzarello series. its a gift for a cousin who likes comics but as far as I know only likes Watchmen and Scott Pilgrim. Didnt feel like gambling on a Scott Pilgrim color edition in case he had it. Kinda glad DC decided to milk Watchmen for this one specific case.
Sharaz De by Toppi for my mom
The Collector by Toppi for my aunt
Girl in Dior for my sister

Between this and regular holiday/furniture for new house/bf shopping. My wallet took a massive hit this month.

Titles or collections that didnt make the cut
Bitch Planet
The Surface
Miles Morales ultimate collections
Ms Marvel OHC vol 1
All New X-Men OHC vol 2
Hawkeye OHC vol 2
Multiveristy OHC

in total I spent about 250 in books for myself this holiday season. (no more books until next summer maybe), Thats about the cost of one hot toys figure right?

god damn ed

my IST order was just:

VOX GN
DEADLY CLASS TP VOL 03 THE SNAKE PIT
EMPTY TP VOL 01
DEATHBLOW AND THEN YOU LIVE TP
DR THIRTEEN ARCHITECTURE AND MORALITY TP
CHASE TP

It's all stuff that was 50% off and up

As part of the Dark Horse Cyber Monday sale, I recommend everyone pick up The Ghost Fleet vol 1 for $3. Hugely underappreciated series. One of my favorite reads of the past year, with a ridiculous and original story, paired with some mind-blowing art. Well worth the price.

Top Bottom