• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banksy Opens Disneyland-Inspired Amusement Park, Welcome to Dismalland

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeaviL

Banned
I'd take Banksy over actual "Modern Art" every day of the week.
If i was closer by i'd definitely go. (Not that i'm THAT far away)

Ozigizo

China did it first.

mdf673881.jpg

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
It opens for locals today. Free entry with voucher from local newspaper along with ID and proof of residence.

So I'll be strolling along the seafront shortly to pick a ticket up.

Will report back this evening.

Trust me, nothing is worth going to Weston-super-Mare for.

I benefit from living a brief half-hour train ride away from Weston-Super-Mare. It's a super depressing shit-hole of a seaside town, so I appreciate his choice of location for a sarcastic amusement park.

Aw, c'mon guys - it ain't that bad! It has at least an awesome bead shop (run by me). Do pop in and say hello if you are down this way.

Opto

Banned
So it's a derivative of Escape From Tomorrowland and the neat pictures people take of abandoned amusement parks, and add in a dash of clickbait slideshows of edgy disney princesses

What decent pieces that are in there are being diminished by the overall package, which is a bit of a common thing for Banksy.

Taken on its own, that Cinderella piece is a knockout- striking, memorable, poignant. Unfortunately, it has to sit in the middle of a pile of half-hearted, "ooh, what if Disneyland were actually run-down!" nonsense, which really blunts it.

I mean, for fuck's sake, even the name is terrible. I mean, Dismaland? Well done on spending the five seconds it took you to think that up, Banksy.

China did it first.

mdf673881.jpg

This one is about 5 km away from where I live in Beijing. In 2010 it was still like that, then in 2011 they were removing all other parts of that abandoned amusement parkt and now there is an Outlet-Center similar to european Outlet Centers there. The only thing still standing there is that Disney castle.

It opens for locals today. Free entry with voucher from local newspaper along with ID and proof of residence.

Aw, c'mon guys - it ain't that bad! It has at least an awesome bead shop (run by me). Do pop in and say hello if you are down this way.

Whoaaaa can u mail me a souvineer lol

We'll see who brings in more honey!

Atrophis

Shit wish I could go see Massive Attack and RTJ. Tickets just £3 apparently so probably sold out already. Both on a Friday though so wouldn't be able to make them :(

Shit wish I could go see Massive Attack and RTJ. Tickets just £3 apparently so probably sold out already. Both on a Friday though so wouldn't be able to make them :(

Apparently tickets can only be purchased up to ten days in advance? The website is down at the moment.

Would you be willing to do me a favor and snap a couple good shots of that Ariel piece?

What's up with urban artists always trying to make "cynical" Disney shit like twisted Mickey Mouses?
It gets fucking old. We get it - anti-consumerism, blah, blah, blah.
Yeah I'm getting tired of it too.

Also, unless I'm missing something, supposedly no one knows who Banksy is. How can anyone know if he who claims is Banksy and did something is the real Banksy? Couldn't I make some urban art at a park and say it was Banksy? Who's to say I'm not telling the truth? How can anyone contact him to, say, work with The Simpsons guys to make that couch gag?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm getting tired of it too.

Also, unless I'm missing something, supposedly no one knows who Banksy is. How can anyone know if he who claims is Banksy and did something is the real Banksy? Couldn't I make some urban art at a park and say it was Banksy? Who's to say I'm not telling the truth? How can anyone contact him to, say, work with The Simpsons guys to make that couch gag?

he/she/it has his people who work for him/her/whatever.

I still believe it is a group of people working under a name..

Newman96

It's been put together by the Block 9 team that have an installation at Glastonbury too, which by all accounts is awesome.

London-Underground-Peter-Podworski-3.jpg

213372bu

Banned
Disney represents globalisation of culture and the loss of diversity, not consumerism.

Sure, to somebody who hasn't been to Disney at all.

Ignoring Epcot, which is a theme park dedicated to diversity and education of different cultures, Disney has been a supporter of LGBT/Different Religions/Different Races for the longest time.

I just don't see why hipsters go off and feed on something else. The transparency that they rather cling on to these types of designs, and consumerism very much still being part of the commentary of this style of art, just goes to show that they too enjoy being puppeted around by commercial means with mascots they feel they can use to help identify with others and provide enjoyment, all while lining the pockets of artists like Banksy.

Now that's not to say it isn't art, or that the statement isn't one the artist(s) truly believe(s) in. I am just stunned that there is a large set of people who hold such a position who can't look at themselves and realize they are committing the same faults as they criticize the "mainstream" in habitually doing.

213372bu

Banned
Shit man... I just don't like theme park rides and long queues.

Ahaha, this is probably just got me really thinking because of a conversation I was having on skype a couple of hours ago.

If you were to ask me what I thought of the "bemusement" park tomorrow I would probably just say it has some interesting little tid-bits. lol.

I wish I could visit so I'd have use for my band-aid stockpile

because I would cut myself so hard on the edginess of it

</s>

Seriously though, put me in the camp that this just seems to be trying too hard. We get it, Disney is a consumerist monster that devours all.

I just went to Disneyland this week and had a blast. Jesus Christ it was hot as fuck though

I went to Disney World a couple weeks ago for the first time since I was a little kid, it was freaking awesome.

Drinking around the world at Epcot was the best, avocado margarita at Mexico was delicious.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Well, that turned out to be rather a lot of fun!

Perhaps it is just the contrariness of human nature, but with all the staff and many of the exhibits going out of their way to be morose, glum and despairing people reacted against it and enjoyed themselves. Weird.

Will post some more tonight, but first just one subversive story.

There's a wall there where you can practice fly-posting, using a pre-supplied set of angsty lefty slogans. But I managed to plaster up a few flyers for my shop before they noticed - last I saw they were trying to pick 'em off the wall. That's not exactly the message folks!

Eidan

The edge.

so angsty and edgy

JB65S5i.png

edit: beaten but pic anyways?!

the edge, it hurts

I find these critiques empty and lacking any real substance. Instead of discussing their views on the strengths and weaknesses of Banksy's works, they rely on oft quoted Twitter quotes and seemingly a knee jerk disdain for anything dystopian. Humorously, considering Banksy's worldwide acclaim, the posters' snide remarks about the artist's work being "edgy" feels a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

I went to Disney World a couple weeks ago for the first time since I was a little kid, it was freaking awesome.

Drinking around the world at Epcot was the best, avocado margarita at Mexico was delicious.

Epcot was stupid as a kid. As an adult, Epcot is the greatest. The Wine and Food Festival starting at the end of September is one of the highlights of the year always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom