• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banksy Opens Disneyland-Inspired Amusement Park, Welcome to Dismalland

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Hilarious!

I love the mermaid statue. Were you able to get pics of it?

Didn't take a camera. But it is an intriguing statue, looks like someone has swiped a watercolour brush across reality.

They want to remove your ads. Guess why.

They should practise what they preach. And what they preach explicitly in their leaflet on fly posting is not to cover disturb or interfere with posters for small local businesses. Ha!

1_2.png

"My kid could do that."

Nah.

D.Lo

I love Banksy, his art is like a really good dark comedy film. It's the opposite of most of the actual wank in the art world.

Accessible, entertaining, while pointing out the absurdity of the modern world.

And he accompanies all presentations with self-deprecting humorous statements.

Eidan

OOOOH Disney is a big corporation, dreams DON'T come true

2edgy4me

Yeah, I'm really not getting this line of criticism. I mean, I guess I shouldn't be shocked that a message board dedicated to consumer electronics would feel the need to rush to the defense of Disney of all things, but still.

They should practise what they preach. And what they preach explicitly in their leaflet on fly posting is not to cover disturb or interfere with posters for small local businesses. Ha!

if they explicitly say that local businesses can come and post their ads in that space, and that they should not be removed then yes I agree it's odd that they'd want to remove them.
This being said it's an odd place for advertising anything too. Good thing is your part of a Banksy piece.

Also, they may or may not allow some ads but to me it's just more visual pollution (in most cases).
I see enough ads everyday, I want to see less of them, not more.

Yeah, I'm really not getting this line of criticism. I mean, I guess I shouldn't be shocked that a message board dedicated to consumer electronics would feel the need to rush to the defense of Disney of all things, but still.

It's an easy target. I love Bansky, but this one was too, "Yep, that's something Banksy would do."

The pieces are beautiful, but the message is kinda boring.

It's only slightly above a statue of Ronald McDonald slaughtering a cow for me. Like, wow, low hanging fruit.

It's only slightly above a statue of Ronald McDonald slaughtering a cow for me. Like, wow, low hanging fruit.

yeah, there's something very "early internet" about "lets take Disney....but make it dark and angsty because, like, the world isn't as happy as Disney says it is man"

It's like reimagining Super Mario Bros. in a darker way (dude he like eats mushrooms that make him trip and he's murdering all these things)-- it's very cliche.

I think it's cool, but his art always has this very simple "contrast two things" concept behind it that attracts attention but sends kind of a vague message, so this is something Banksy would do.

And I guess I shouldn't be shocked that a message board whose arguments tend to hinge around "if you're against one thing, then you must be totally for the thing it's up against" wouldn't allow any criticism of an artist.

Eidan

It's an easy target. I love Bansky, but this one was too, "Yep, that's something Banksy would do."

The pieces are beautiful, but the message is kinda boring.
This alone is an argument with more resonance than the shallow, oft repeated "edgy" shit. When I read stuff like that, it's like the war against Linkin Park never ended.

FStop7

Banned
I respect the scale but the concept is lame. The amusement park thing is done to death and so is parodying Disney.

Banksy and KAWS in this boring race to the bottom

Amalthea

Banned
I would've found it cooler if it looked like a real, overly happy theme park but actually carried deeply disturbing or questionable messages.

Like an attraction called "Never say No-Land" wich teaches visitors about always being positive even in bad situations you don't want to happen.

What if all these naysayers are all actually Banky's burner accounts that he set up?

Sure, to somebody who hasn't been to Disney at all.

Ignoring Epcot, which is a theme park dedicated to diversity and education of different cultures, Disney has been a supporter of LGBT/Different Religions/Different Races for the longest time.

I just don't see why hipsters go off and feed on something else. The transparency that they rather cling on to these types of designs, and consumerism very much still being part of the commentary of this style of art, just goes to show that they too enjoy being puppeted around by commercial means with mascots they feel they can use to help identify with others and provide enjoyment, all while lining the pockets of artists like Banksy.

Now that's not to say it isn't art, or that the statement isn't one the artist(s) truly believe(s) in. I am just stunned that there is a large set of people who hold such a position who can't look at themselves and realize they are committing the same faults as they criticize the "mainstream" in habitually doing.

Err... wrong kind of diversity mate. Cool rant though.

To be quite honest, I don't like it. I appreciate Banksy and his art, but I often find that he comes off as a bit too preachy for my taste. I genuinely feel like his rise in popularity had a hand in shaping the way he presents himself to the public. What was once about random pieces, with subtle meaning, on a wall has turned more into something that's going to garner the attention of the media.

This could have always been his vision, and his popularity is just giving him an outlet to be heard by the masses, but for me, the meaning is lost.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wealthy dude preaching about how bad consumerism is...

Everything this guy does is just kind of cringe-worthy.

jstripes

Banned
Wealthy dude preaching about how bad consumerism is...

Everything this guy does is just kind of cringe-worthy.

For better or worse, artists' messages don't always change when they become wealthy.

What about all the millionaire rappers who are still rapping about gang life? Aging punk rockers still singing about bringing down the system?

Amir0x

Banned
man casual art criticism needs to come a long way apparently since people believe calling works "edgy" and some sort of shallow anti-consumerist, anti-government propaganda is a really profound critique on Banksy's work.

To be quite honest, I don't like it. I appreciate Banksy and his art, but I often find that he comes off as a bit too preachy for my taste. I genuinely feel like his rise in popularity had a hand in shaping the way he presents himself to the public. What was once about random pieces, with subtle meaning, on a wall has turned more into something that's going to garner the attention of the media.

This could have always been his vision, and his popularity is just giving him an outlet to be heard by the masses, but for me, the meaning is lost.
I disagree somewhat (but appreciate the criticism beyond "edgy"). I think half of banksy's appeal is what you talked about. The media attention has grown into his art, becoming part of it. The congregating draw it has. And all that stuff.

man casual art criticism needs to come a long way apparently since people believe calling works "edgy" and some sort of shallow anti-consumerist, anti-government propaganda is a really profound critique on Banksy's work.

Just challenging the presumption that anti-consumerist, anti-government art like his is profound in any sense.

"Edgy" is a simply a memephrase that people use as shorthand way to describe Banksy's art. That does not mean the criticism is without substance or merit.

ito007

I guess the best way to describe this for me is that this art doesn't seem like it comes from a place of true inspiration. But since I cannot just assume something like that then I guess that makes my thoughts fairly unacceptable.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Maybe it's something he always wanted to do but couldn't before, but this feels at least a decade too late to have any impact.

Don't know why people are getting hung-up on the "edgy" posts, they seem appropriate for how close it is to self-parody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom