• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee - The 4th and final season - Fridays on Cinemax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

There's not being realistic and there's what's Dawson is doing, turning this FBI matter to one-woman Rambo mission, not forwarding the killer's photo and going alone to investigate.

As long as they provided the 'dumb fun' action show i could take it as it is. But this season they are trying too hard to be more than that, putting up pretense about what the series has been up to now so it becomes just dumb.

Jacob4815

Have you read the 4x08 (series finale) official synopsys and press release?
Potential massive spoilers, be careful.

Resolved to leave Banshee, Lucas learns that the murder case he thought was finally closed may in fact be opening again. After a tense faceoff with Calvin and the Brotherhood, Proctor looks to finalize his deal with the Colombians. Carrie takes aim at one final act of vengeance. Brock demands allegiance from Bunker (Tom Pelphrey) as Banshee braces for an uncertain future.

My speculation:
Lucas will defeat Declan Bode in 6x07 but the real Rebecca's killer will be revealed in the finale. Possible Burton or Proctor, and that will start the final showdown..
Oh, and I think that Carrie will die.

UrbanRats

First episode i didn't hate.
But really highlighted how pointless the whole FBI/Satan (and Nazi) subplots are.
I'll excuse the nazis though, because they started way back, plus they killed Emmett, so they need some comeuppance.

Cruz vs Carrie was good tho.

Rodin

Loved the catfight between Carrie and Cruz, Cruz got some moves. Gave Carrie more of a challenge than I expected. I wonder who's better Cruz or Nola Longshadow? Nola can't have that damn Tomahawk though, too much of a game breaker. If Cruz isn't better she's at least god damn smarter since she knows what a fucking tactical retreat is.

Nola would absolutely wreck her lol, she gave Burton a run for his money and almost killed him. Cruz barely got away from Carrie.

Nola would absolutely wreck her lol, she gave Burton a run for his money and almost killed him. Cruz barely got away from Carrie.
*Remembers Nola fight scene*...Nola whooped the ass of 3 Marines like they were mere high school bullies. Too bad we couldn't get Nola vs Carrie, that would've been great. Cruz is cool though, but yeah, she's no Nola. Surviving against Carrie is no small feat though, this is Carrie.

KonradLaw

Great episode. The only thing that could have made it better is if Carrie would bit that female cop's leg when in lock, the way Hood did in S1 :D

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The penultimate episode of the series airs tonight!

Truths Other Than the Ones You Tell

Worried that Dawson's safety is threatened, Lucas and Brock increase efforts to track hunt down Bode; as the Brotherhood preps for war with Proctor, Kurt tries to keep Maggie safe, while Calvin unloads his frustrations at the office; and Job settles matters with a Camp Genoa adversary.

Well the serial killer plotline was utterly pointless in the grand scheme of things. Don't see how things get wrapped up satisfactorily in 1 more episode.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Decent episode, though far too anti climactic for the penultimate episode of Banshee. The badass cop woman's death just kind of happened (and offscreen to boot); Burton wrecking the neo-nazi goons offscreen was cute, in a vacuum, but in the next to last episode of a season lacking in action/fight scenes, it simply wasn't satisfying to see it go down like that; the serial killer getting shot in the head (offscreen) after refusing to even put up a fight...I really was expecting more from this episode.

I have no idea how they're planning to cram all the neo-nazi stuff into the final episode, on top of Kai and Burton (possibly) getting what's coming to them
after murdering Rebecca - c'mon, it cannot have been at the hands of the random serial killer :/
, and then all the character resolution stuff we need to see (like Hood and Deva). I really wish they hadn't decided to drag the serial killer plot out across the entire season. It would have been better if it had been like a 3 episode arc, followed by the neo nazi arc, and then the final arc dealing with Kai.

At least we got some of the series' best scenes in this episode, like the conversation between Hood and Brock, the shot of Calvin calmly walking through the office while covered in his manager's blood, and that final Job scene which was - possibly - the best Job scene of the entire series. I mean, holy shit. Someone needs to gif that look he gives the "new Job" at the very end before he walks out. What a boss. Fuck yeah.

(also, this season has been sorely lacking in Sugar. I hope he gets a chance to shine in the final episode.)

Decent episode, though far too anti climactic for the penultimate episode of Banshee. The badass cop woman's death just kind of happened (and offscreen to boot); Burton wrecking the neo-nazi goons offscreen was cute, in a vacuum, but in the next to last episode of a season lacking in action/fight scenes, it simply wasn't satisfying to see it go down like that; the serial killer getting shot in the head (offscreen) after refusing to even put up a fight...I really was expecting more from this episode.

I have no idea how they're planning to cram all the neo-nazi stuff into the final episode, on top of Kai and Burton (possibly) getting what's coming to them
after murdering Rebecca - c'mon, it cannot have been at the hands of the random serial killer :/
, and then all the character resolution stuff we need to see (like Hood and Deva). I really wish they hadn't decided to drag the serial killer plot out across the entire season. It would have been better if it had been like a 3 episode arc, followed by the neo nazi arc, and then the final arc dealing with Kai.

At least we got some of the series' best scenes in this episode, like the conversation between Hood and Brock, the shot of Calvin calmly walking through the office while covered in his manager's blood, and that final Job scene which was - possibly - the best Job scene of the entire series. I mean, holy shit. Someone needs to gif that look he gives the "new Job" at the very end before he walks out. What a boss. Fuck yeah.

(also, this season has been sorely lacking in Sugar. I hope he gets a chance to shine in the final episode.)

I have to think Burton murdering the female cop was foreshadowing to the reveal of him being Rebecca's murderer. This is all speculation so I don't think it needs spoiler tags. I think I might have missed the reason for her murder though. Was it because of the bungled Carrie attempt?

holygeesus

Banned
I have to think Burton murdering the female cop was foreshadowing to the reveal of him being Rebecca's murderer.

They've already established that the same guy who killed the other girls killed Rebecca. Seems a massive reach to still believe Burton had anything to do with it, in so much as he managed to perfectly replicate an already established serial killer's MO.

xrnzaaas

The episode was quite good (Job's final scene was just brilliant), but it doesn't leave you waiting for the goddamn series finale. By the way I am starting to think that this entire season is what it is not because of some vision of its creators, but because of major budget cuts. They probably had to decide between ending the show after 3 seasons and making a different fourth one.

Disappointing we didn't see Burton destroying those Nazis.

Have to say, this season hasn't been the greatest and we're already at the end. I expected more, I don't know...just feel like the show is ending with a whimper and the not the epic swansong it deserved after season 3...

Jacob4815

I have to think Burton murdering the female cop was foreshadowing to the reveal of him being Rebecca's murderer. This is all speculation so I don't think it needs spoiler tags. I think I might have missed the reason for her murder though. Was it because of the bungled Carrie attempt?

Speculation (more spoilerish) on the 4x08 synopsis

Resolved to leave Banshee, Lucas learns that the murder case he thought was finally closed may in fact be opening again.

Yes, I think that Burton is the real Rebecca's killer.

KonradLaw

Didn't care much for the serial killer because he didn't know Kung Fu. Like...who the hell lives in Bashee without knowledge of at least some kung fu.

That said, that conversation between Hood and Brock when they were captured was such an amazing scene and beautiful end point of their relationship.

And next week...
Hood vs Burton!!!
Fucking finally!. This needs to blow away anything the show has ever did before.

Didn't care much for the serial killer because he didn't know Kung Fu. Like...who the hell lives in Bashee without knowledge of at least some kung fu.

That said, that conversation between Hood and Brock when they were captured was such an amazing scene and beautiful end point of their relationship.

And next week...
Hood vs Burton!!!
Fucking finally!. This needs to blow away anything the show has ever did before.
None of the body mods knew Kung fu. Last dude that knew his shit was Terminator Stowe.

Zaph

This entire season has been a massive flop, so I don't know why I keep getting my expectations up, but at the very least couldn't they have given us that Burton brawl? Felt like a very obvious casualty of this season's budget.

The shower death was unintentionally hilarious - "okay, you've served your purpose, now do the required topless scene and die". Speaking of which, it's odd the lengths the show has gone to avoid Dushku nudity - first the strategically filmed sex scene, and then the clothed attempted sacrifice. I'd understand this for a good actor, but Dushku?

And Dr Wrench getting the drop on both Hood and Brock (second time knocked out in as many weeks for Brock)? Come on. I guess the devil worshiper plot had to end just as shoehorned as it started. I am surprised this episode didn't end with the reveal of Rebecca not being one of their victims.

xrnzaaas

The shower death was unintentionally hilarious - "okay, you've served your purpose, now do the required topless scene and die". Speaking of which, it's odd the lengths the show has gone to avoid Dushku nudity - first the strategically filmed sex scene, and then the clothed attempted sacrifice. I'd understand this for a good actor, but Dushku?

It's not that uncommon in tv shows. If I recall correctly Dushku had only one nude scene in her career (it was a very short one) and no nude sex scenes. Odette Annable didn't have any nude stuff as well.

They've already established that the same guy who killed the other girls killed Rebecca. Seems a massive reach to still believe Burton had anything to do with it, in so much as he managed to perfectly replicate an already established serial killer's MO.

How did they establish this though? It's just assumed, but could be a copy cat to make it look the same. They never showed the killer actually doing the deed to Rebecca and he hasnt admitted to it.

Speculation (more spoilerish) on the 4x08 synopsis

Resolved to leave Banshee, Lucas learns that the murder case he thought was finally closed may in fact be opening again.

Yes, I think that Burton is the real Rebecca's killer.

definitely going to be Burton. Probably ordered by Proctor.

holygeesus

Banned
How did they establish this though? It's just assumed, but could be a copy cat to make it look the same. They never showed the killer actually doing the deed to Rebecca and he hasnt admitted to it.

definitely going to be Burton. Probably ordered by Proctor.

Maybe
the case isn't solved because the killer goes all zombie and walks out of the morgue? ;) Come on, I can't have been the only one expecting his eyes to open when laid out on the slab at the end there, can I?

Seriously, I just can't foresee the event you mentioned having happened. The coroner concluded that all the victims had the same drug in their system and were cut with the same weapon. Sure, I'm sure you could elaborately copy-cat the killing, but it seems an unnecessary twist this late on in the show. If, who you mentioned, did indeed order it, why has the series showed him moping around most of his scenes distraught, and ordering police and Hood to find the killer - it makes little sense really.

If the serial killing storyline has no tie in to the rest of the arc of this season, it's inclusion is baffling as even without it, you could have had a balls-out Cartel/Proctor/Hood-gang/Nazi all out war and easily filled 8 episodes, as there is so much material in there, and little story strands that could have been tied off, yet here we are with one episode left to close everything off, and there seems no satisfactory way to conclude everything.

As someone who enjoyed the he'll out of s1-3, I can't believe this is put on TV.

It flat out sucks. Emo hood sucks. There is no charm, no badassness to the show like it uses to be. All the actors seem to not give a shit anymore.

Wtf were they thinking.

Really disappointed that this is how it ends.

Dunlop

As someone who enjoyed the he'll out of s1-3, I can't believe this is put on TV.

It flat out sucks. Emo hood sucks. There is no charm, no badassness to the show like it uses to be. All the actors seem to not give a shit anymore.

Wtf were they thinking.

Really disappointed that this is how it ends.

I kinda wished it had ended last season, who thought rebooting all of the characters in the final season was a good idea.

Not sure what I am watching, but it is no longer Banshee

Saty

Banshee joins the illustrious club of series that have their last season be their worst, alongside shows like Lost and Dexter.

Utter trash.

Yo, Hood, how about you contact the guy Dawson called so you can get the address he gave her? Instead they go the roundabout way of phone calls of the burnt woman.
Yo, Lotus, maybe, you know, alert the FBI that an agent is missing? You know, do your job. I'm just putting it out there, man. You know. Maybe you tell someone at BPD that you are going to that address so when they try to reach you and you don't answer, they send someone. You know, that little thing. Maybe do that, you know. Hey, Sheriff, how about when you see the car and the blood you then radio in and ask for backup and for the FBI to swarm the place, you know. 'I'm so stupid'. Frame that and hang it on the wall. Truer words never spoken.

I won't go on about the trite way Hood and Brock get free. I won't go on about how they are quick to kill Bode instead of investigating him because he would have said he didn't kill Rebeca, but we can't have that because we need that most obvious twist\red herring of 'finding out' that Bowman was killed by someone else.

I only have one request: please tell us Hood's real name.

Maybe
the case isn't solved because the killer goes all zombie and walks out of the morgue? ;) Come on, I can't have been the only one expecting his eyes to open when laid out on the slab at the end there, can I?

Seriously, I just can't foresee the event you mentioned having happened. The coroner concluded that all the victims had the same drug in their system and were cut with the same weapon. Sure, I'm sure you could elaborately copy-cat the killing, but it seems an unnecessary twist this late on in the show. If, who you mentioned, did indeed order it, why has the series showed him moping around most of his scenes distraught, and ordering police and Hood to find the killer - it makes little sense really.

If the serial killing storyline has no tie in to the rest of the arc of this season, it's inclusion is baffling as even without it, you could have had a balls-out Cartel/Proctor/Hood-gang/Nazi all out war and easily filled 8 episodes, as there is so much material in there, and little story strands that could have been tied off, yet here we are with one episode left to close everything off, and there seems no satisfactory way to conclude everything.

Maybe he did it without Proctor's knowledge. He might have also done the cop without his knowledge. The serial killer has to be a red herring. There has to be a reason why they didn't show the killer's face in the flashback of Rebecca getting captured.

Overall it's a horrible way to end the last season. Of all the storylines, they picked one of the worst directions to go in. I've stopped caring about all of these characters this season after it being one of my favorite shows. So many of my favorite shows have ended horribly recently. Breaking Bad is about the only one that had a good ending.

More evidence

(spoiler promo)
Hood VS Burton fight in the 4x08 promo.

There you go.

Thoroughly disappointed we didn't get a rematch between the cop and Carrie. That would have been pretty damn epic I think...

And yeah, this is a terrible way for such a great show to go out on. I did like that Jobe was back on form though and I want that wallpaper. Anyone know if it's available to download anywhere?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sure, I'm sure you could elaborately copy-cat the killing, but it seems an unnecessary twist this late on in the show. If, who you mentioned, did indeed order it, why has the series showed him moping around most of his scenes distraught, and ordering police and Hood to find the killer - it makes little sense really.

It's not an unnecessary twist - it's crucial to Rebecca's arc that she be killed by Kai or Burton. Otherwise all the tension that they built up over the course of four seasons between she and her uncle (and Burton) will have been for naught.

If the serial killing storyline has no tie in to the rest of the arc of this season, it's inclusion is baffling as even without it, you could have had a balls-out Cartel/Proctor/Hood-gang/Nazi all out war and easily filled 8 episodes

They could have, but that would have required a bigger budget which is evidently something they were lacking in this season.

holygeesus

Banned
It's not an unnecessary twist - it's crucial to Rebecca's arc that she be killed by Kai or Burton. Otherwise all the tension that they built up over the course of four seasons between she and her uncle (and Burton) will have been for naught.

For Proctor to be responsible you have to make some massive leaps. I agree Burton could have acted on his own, but really that makes absolutely no sense either as they were practically buddies for an entire season and why he would act out in such a way makes no narrative sense.

The serial killer device should have been used to awaken Hood from his hobo slumber, but it should have been dealt with in a couple of episodes and disposed of. There are too many interesting elements that have taken a back seat because of it.

I might be wrong, but I don't see any way in which it wasn't Burton, almost certainly acting alone, who killed Rebecca.

Zaph

Why did he do it then?

My guess is Burton secretly hating Proctor and wants to utterly destroy him. Distract him with Rebecca's death, strip his businesses etc. Hood and Proctor may fight, but Burton will deliver the killing blow.

Then again, given how terrible this season has been, if wouldn't be a complete surprise if they play her death completely straight with the devil worshipper angle and all the weird tension between Proctor, Rebecca and Burton for the last 3 seasons would be for nothing.

Sojgat

They're artistically not showing fight scenes or just cutting away from them now...

Can't believe Hood and Brock both got taken out so easy in the garage.

This show is a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom