• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baskets: Zach Galifianakis plays a failing clown on a new FX show. And it's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Didn't think to search for a thread for this. Really liking it so far. Louie Anderson has been great.

lunchtoast

Just watched 4/5 last night. Really great episodes, giving more screen time to Louie has paid off. Walking into random classrooms, constantly annoyed by Martha's yelling. Mrs. Baskets not puttin up with that shit Penelope. Dale upset over the Twizzlers in the fridge.

rec0ded1

Just finished binging. "Killer, this is my life" I hope juggs comes back also put me on the Louie Anderson bandwagon, he's amazing.

jph139

Mama Baskets is SO hard to get a bead on. A lot more depth than I expected from the character; Louie Anderson is really killing it.

EdmondD

I have been a long time Galifinakis fan ever since i saw his stand up on Comedy Central presents ages ago and this show does not disappoint. I definitely feel that Galifinakis/ Louis CK type of humor right away but tempered with genuine emotion and great characters. The director and whoever was in charge of casting are geniuses. The characters feel real. Martha is so sweet and kind it's heart wrenching. Mama baskets is played brilliantly by Louie Anderson. Reminds me of my brother in law's mother. It's scary.

I just watched episode 4 and I felt pretty damn emotional. It hit hard and close to home. What a great episode.

Chip : Mama, my life is in disarray.

Mama Baskets : Whose isn't?

Niraj

The most recent episode was really good. Perfect blend of light moments and heartbreaking ones.

- Deadline: Zach Galifianakis’ ‘Baskets’ Scores Season 2 Renewal On FX
Five episodes into the debut season of Baskets, FX has renewed Zach Galifianakis’ black-comedy series for a second season, set to air in early 2017. The series premiere broke FX ratings records and was the most-watched basic cable comedy series premiere since 2014 in Live+3 with 1.75 million viewers. That episode also had the largest three-day lift of any FX comedy series premiere among adults 18-49. Further, on a Live+7 basis, the show averaged 944,000 Adults 18-49 and 1.5 million total viewers during its first three episodes to remain the most-watched new scripted comedy series on cable in 2016.

Ultima_5

Excellent! Really like the show so far. Louie Anderson completely steals the show

Best line was when Louie Anderson was showing Martha the baby photos and says:
"Here's chips sitting in a box. Like one of those animals"
"How old was he?"
"Oh I have no idea"

I died. So great

This is the funniest show ive seen in years. Basically Louis CK ripping off Tim and Eric by getting Zach and Johnathan Krisel involved, down to the tone and style of comedy but its working. I reckon Tim would be kinda steaming though.

Grizzo

I fell in love with that show. It's dark, downright depressing at times but also really funny in an absurd way. Oh, and always touching. The scenes in episode 4
when Chip is trying to learn french and we see him wandering around in Paris while smoking cigarettes were gorgeous.

"Suicide is not the answer, usually" went from being a funny line to sounding really sad when we get to learn about
Chip's complicated childhood

For anyone interested, Louie Anderson was recently on NPR's Fresh Air and talks about his character on the show and the inspiration for it, among other things.

Link

Niraj

"You haven't been drinking, have you?"
"Oh, no. If I had been drinking I'd be a lot more confident right now."

lol

This show is sooooo good. I'm glad I kept up with it instead of dropping it after the first episode.

FX/FXX is killing it

post sponsored by FX/FXX

npa189

Best show of the year, the costco product placement is brilliant and Louie Anderson is amazing as mama baskets.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was a really bittersweet episode. I hope that Mama Baskets will be okay - Louie Anderson is one of the very best things about this show.

barik

One of the things that impresses me the most is the cast; whole episodes go by where I forget that Louie Anderson is playing a woman, and that Dale is also being played by Zach. The picnic was great, beautiful how they created this parallel that didn't pay off until the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom