• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Summer TV shows will you be watching? | 2015 + A Look at the New Summer Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Bessie - HBO

Queen Latifah stars as legendary blues singer Bessie Smith in this HBO Films presentation, directed by acclaimed filmmaker Dee Rees from a screenplay by Dee Rees and Christopher Cleveland & Bettina Gilois. With a story by Dee Rees and Horton Foote, the film focuses on Smith’s transformation from a struggling young singer into “The Empress of the Blues,” who became one of the most successful recording artists of the 1920s and is an enduring icon today.

Wiktor

From new stuff I'm most excited about Dark Matter. I've been craving some new good space SF and this looks very interesting and oldschool (in a good way)

Also..lol....I only know realized that Scream and Scream Queens are not the same show :D

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Really weak looking new shows IMO, there's a few I'll try but none that look really promising, hopefully the Waking Dead will be good at least.

No mention of when Manhattan is coming back? That got a 2nd season didn't it?

other than that, I'll be watching:
Halt and Catch Fire
Wet Hot American Summer
and True Detective

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
HBO has set its Show Me a Hero miniseries (6 episodes) for a August 16th premiere.
It tells the story of Nick Wasicsko, the youngest big-city mayor in the nation who finds himself thrust into the center of a racial controversy when a federal court orders him to build a small number of low-income housing units in the white neighborhoods of his town, Yonkers, N.Y.. His attempt to do so tears the city apart, paralyzes the municipal government and, ultimately, destroys his political future. Keener, repped by Gersh, plays Mary Dorman, an East Yonkers homeowner who comes to a remarkable realization during the battle over where to build low-income housing.
Written by David Simon and William F. Zorzi. Directed by Paul Haggis. Starring Oscar Isaac, Catherine Keener, Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina, Jon Bernthal, James Belushi, etc.

My wife and I went through our 50+ shows today and nixed a lot of the "edge" shows. This one goes bye bye. As does Salem, Extant & Penny Dreadful.
One of these is not like the others...

tariniel

A lot more is staring this summer than I first realized.

I'll be watching:
Hannibal
Orange is the New Black
Dragon Ball Super

I'll check out these and see if I like them:
Sense8
Fear the Walking Dead
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
True Detective

Comedy Central Summer premieres from HitFix:
*** Season 2 of Review premieres on Thursday, July 30 at 10 p.m. and Comedy Central's season description teases life experiences including "bare-knuckle brawling, joining the mile high club, and even leading a cult."

*** Created by Natasha Leggero and Riki Lindhome, "Another Period" is a Gilded Age satire featuring Christina Hendricks, Michael Ian Black, David Koechner, Jason Ritter and more and it'll premiere on Tuesday, June 23 at 10:30 p.m.

*** The second season of "The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail" premieres on Tuesday, June 30 at 12:30 a.m. and the eight half-hour episodes will include performances by Matt Braunger, Fred Armisen, Andy Daly, Nick Thune, Pete Holmes, Al Madrigal, Ron Funches, John Mulaney, Bridget Everett, Ken Marino, Hannibal Buress and more.

*** "Key & Peele" returns to continue its fourth season on Wednesday, July 8 at 10 p.m. and will be followed by the series premiere of "Why? With Hannibal Buress," featuring the headline-making comic, who also has been featured on Comedy Central's "Broad City."

*** New episodes of "Tosh.0" return on Tuesday, August 25 at 10 p.m. with Daniel Tosh's long-running hit currently in its seventh season, apparently.

*** Finally, "Drunk History" has its third season premiere on Tuesday, September 1 at 10:30. The network teases that topics will include, "stories about Cleveland, New Jersey, Miami, New Orleans, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, space, inventors, games, spies, and journalism, covering everything from the invention of motion pictures to the rise and fall of the Cocaine Godmother and the truth behind Roswell."

xrnzaaas

The only summer shows on my watchlist at the moment are Hannibal, Orange is the New Black and Whose Line. Last year I gave The Strain a shot and after a good pilot it turned out to be a bad show (the books its based on weren't great as well, but at least I didn't feel like I'm wasting my time).

HBO has set its Show Me a Hero miniseries (6 episodes) for a August 16th premiere.

Written by David Simon and William F. Zorzi. Directed by Paul Haggis. Starring Oscar Isaac, Catherine Keener, Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina, Jon Bernthal, James Belushi, etc.

One of these is not like the others...

It doesn't have a date yet, but it was renewed.

I know, right?! wth Angmar!

You monster...

Oh noes, internet peer pressure.

How is season 2?

Dan

Oh noes, internet peer pressure.

How is season 2?

Hey, you can quit it, it's just easily way better than the other three shows you mentioned dropping.

Season 2 is basically the same quality as the first season.

LaNaranja

Last Week Tonight With John Oliver (does this count?)
Orange is the New Black
Key & Peele
Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp
Fear the Walking Dead

I thought Narcos was coming out this summer. I am super bummed now. :/

Dan

I thought Narcos was coming out this summer. I am super bummed now. :/
It was listed as coming soon on the big Netflix summer calendar. They hadn't yet dated a couple shows, and nothing at all was scheduled for August. I'd say maybe July, more likely August.

Vert boil

Why didn't any of you mopes tell me Inside Comedy started up again?!?!

Colbert and Stewart, Keaton and Aykroyd, and Cranston and Leifer eps have aired already.

Definitely Watching:
Penny Dreadful

Giving a shot:
Fear The Walking Dead
True Detective

Will probably start to watch but not expecting to finish:
Hemlock Grove: The Final Season

All that matters is on June 20th:
star-wars-rebels-season-2-poster.jpg

I wonder if we should create a new thread for this or just continue to use the one we used for the first season. Can't wait for season 2.

New(sampling mostly.)
Fear The Walking Dead
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Brink
Ballers
London Spy
Narcos
The Last Kingdom
Show me a Hero
Texas Rising

Returning:
Hannibal
Penny Dreadful(its already started)
True Detective
Strike Back
Star Wars: Rebels
Da Vinci's Demons(Still no release date)
Longmire(It was picked up by Netflix)

I don't have time to make the Orange is the New Black or Masters of Sex OTs this Summer. If anyone is interested in creating either of those, please let me know. Thanks.

Wiktor

Mr. Robot had great premiere. The lead actor is incredible in that role. It got cool hook, it was beautifully shot and the hacking looked believable. I mean..I'm not a hacker, so it's probably not real, but it seemed close to reality and that's enough.

Wiktor

So the Stitchers pilot is available on the ABC site,

Theshowwherepeopletalkfastwithalotofsass.

A light fluffy scifi show on ABC. Pretty basic but it wasn't too bad.

Yeah. Seems like a fun procedural. I really liked how rude people are to eachother, but without passing the line where they would become unlikable.
The lead girl being gorgeous also helps a lot :D

Before I watch anything new, the fam needs to catch up on:
Vikings (5 episodes behind)
The Blacklist (8 episodes behind)
Hawaii 5-0 (12 episodes behind)
Chicago Fire (I can't remember how far behind we are but it's a lot)

My sons finish their high school finals the first half of this week, so that'll give us some time to pound through this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom