• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Summer TV shows will you be watching? | 2015 + A Look at the New Summer Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Another Period was fun. It feels a lot like other recent parody shows like Childrens Hospital, Burning Love, NTSF:SD:SUV, etc., in part because it involves a lot of the same supporting comedians that float between all of these shows, but also the wacky, irreverent tone.

Nice! I'll check it out when I get the chance.
Hmm, on the other hand, I thought the second episode was a letdown. It wasn't as manic or inspired, and I think they probably bit off too much by trying to have laughs over male rape right after the pilot. They're doing a little more continuity than I'd probably prefer. Unfortunately, they also recast the smart, 'ugly' sister. Artemis Pebdani played her in the pilot and was a great element, but Lauren Ash takes over the role going forward. She had little to do in the second episode, but she seems lower energy.

faridmon

Wow, UnReal was fucking amazing. So many hard-hitting scenes, with a lot of depth and the writing is crazy good. The Pilot set up so many great scenes that could go in various direction, and the show seems to have a lot of charm while tackling the dark world of reality shows.

Definitely my favourite show this summer.

EDIT: Holy Shit at 2nd episode. Guys, you really need to watch this!

On the Other hand, Mr Robot was enjoyable, but had things I hate about USA shows. Characters are superfluous and the writing is very mechanical. Oh and most of the characters are unlikable.

L1NETT

First trailer for The Last Panthers (Sky Atlantic/November 2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Eh5Ebf6XE

Filmed in London, Marseille, Belgrade and Montenegro, the trilingual thriller (English, French and Serbian) follows a diamond heist across Europe, where “a shadowy alliance of gangsters and ‘banksters’ now rules”. With Samantha Morton as Naomi, a British loss adjuster charged with recovering the stolen diamonds, John Hurt as her boss Tom and Tahar Rahim as French-Algerian policeman Khalil.

Looks promising, good cast. Hope the script is good. From the guy who made The Fades, put that down as a massive plus.

berzeli

Banned
First trailer for The Last Panthers (Sky Atlantic/November 2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Eh5Ebf6XE

Looks promising, good cast. Hope the script is good. From the guy who made The Fades, put that down as a massive plus.

Geoblocked trailer, anyone got an alternative link?

I wouldn't call it a good cast; It would be enough with either Samantha Morton or John Hurt to elevate it to great, and the series has both. Also of note; the director is Johan Renck who did the first two episodes of Bloodline, some episodes of Vikings, Breaking Bad, and of course I will never, ever get sick of posting this music video from when he was a recording artist. Jack Thorne (the writer) is one of my favourites, not only is The fades amazing, but he has also written Glue, and This is England '86, '88,'90.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what happened to that kung fu show that was coming with Humans?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

VtRIt3t.gif

beat

Coming in late, but I think Clipped is not for me. It seems like just an adequate multicam sitcom, and to me even an average single-cam is considerably more entertaining.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I tried Mr. Robinson. I lasted nine minutes.

Now I'm watching A Wicked Offer, which is extremely dumb, but intriguing.

seat

Another Period was fun. It feels a lot like other recent parody shows like Childrens Hospital, Burning Love, NTSF:SD:SUV, etc., in part because it involves a lot of the same supporting comedians that float between all of these shows, but also the wacky, irreverent tone.

I think this show is fantastic and hilarious. I caught up on it a couple weeks ago and I'm hooked. I'm familiar with about 9/10 of the cast, so it's fun to see guest stars show up who I already appreciate in the comedy world. The Wet Hot American Summer series was a bit of a letdown for me, but this has made up for it. Viewership for Another Period seems pretty low, sadly, so I don't have high hopes for a second season.

Edit: This may be Michael Ian Black's best performance yet. He's awesome in this.

Via Warming Glow, a few tidbits on what's coming up from FX:
In 2016, new episodes of Archer will premiere on FXX, where it will be paired with Cassius and Clay, the Kaitlin Olson and Lake Bell-starring post-apocalyptic animated comedy created by Adam Reed and Megan Ganz.

That’s a long time from now, but don’t worry, Uproxx’s favorite show of 2014, Fargo, is back Oct. 12, while Kurt Sutter’s follow-up to Sons of Anarchy, The Bastard Executioner, debuts Sept. 15. The latest edition of American Horror Story returns Oct. 7, giving you enough time to plan this year’s Halloween costume. Other news:

–The Strain and Corey Stoll’s hairpiece were renewed for season three.

–Pamela Adlon’s Better Things was picked up. In the Louis C.K. co-created-comedy, she plays Sam, “a working actor with no filter trying to earn a living, navigate her daughters’ lives, have fun with a friend or two, and also — just maybe — squeeze in some private time once in a while.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom