• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

Khal_B

mandiller said:
I spoke to a Warner Brothers rep at the weekend and he said the PC version was delayed for two reasons: they're waiting for better drivers and the PC team want a few more weeks to optimise the game.

It still sucks that it's delayed though, and even worse considering Skyrim will be out by then.

You know I was ready to jump in, say $5 sale and leave the thread, but after reading that I'm not nearly as mad now. The thing is, so many multiplat games have been delayed on PC that later come with restrictive DRM for no other reason except for "lol piracy", that for legitimate PC gamers, this has become a sore point.

Going by how well Arkham Asylum ran and looked, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, grit my teeth and wait and support them at launch.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What's the problem with GFWL? I'm playing AA right now and GFWL doesn't bother me at all. So... what?

TheExodu5

Banned
Bisnic said:
What's the problem with GFWL? I'm playing AA right now and GFWL doesn't bother me at all. So... what?

Corrupted saves, issues with certain systems preventing users from playing their game. It's simply unnecessary.

For example, I was unable to play AA recently until I managed to troubleshoot an annoying issue that caused the game to crash on launch.

I managed to fix the issue with GFWL. As you know, re-installing GFWL did nothing. After looking through a few posts online, I realized that I should have the Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant service running. I discovered it just wasn't there. So, I uninstalled both GFWL, and Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant. I then re-installed GFWL and voila! Problem solved.

Struct09

TheExodu5 said:
Give them the benefit of the doubt. We've had enough shitty releases on PC this year when we keep saying "why didn't you just work on it a few more weeks instead of releasing it in this broken state". If Arkham City comes out as nicely as Arkham Asylum, then we can say the added month was worth it.

Seriously, look at Dead Island, RAGE, Red Orchestra 2, Deus Ex. These titles could have used an added month of PC QA and optimisation.

Exactly. I'll be irked if it comes out loaded with bugs, but I'd rather wait the month for them to optimize the PC version than have them release a half-working version today.

Sucks that it's now releasing in the tick of other new games, but I'll manage.

Corky said:
Why... Why has this become a common practice even among non-shitty devs/publishers? I mean Ubisoft I understand not even themselves care about their results but what's the point of this 1 month delay? Tightening up the graphics on level 3?

PC gamers aren't the target audience. So that build is likely to be the last to get the spit shine and polish. Or if you are more cynical, because PC piracy tends to be higher than console piracy and easier so its a delaying tactic against downloaders.

Bisnic said:

Most GAFers tend to be die hard Steam-or-bust. So anything that isn't Steam is viewed as inferior and worthy of scorn.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
TheExodu5 said:
Corrupted saves, issues with certain systems preventing users from playing their game. It's simply unnecessary.

Especially when there is something that is equally simple to implement and is superior in nearly every single way.

(I'm throwing you a bone here, gamerscorewhores)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Khal_B said:
You know I was ready to jump in, say $5 sale and leave the thread, but after reading that I'm not nearly as mad now. The thing is, so many multiplat games have been delayed on PC that later come with restrictive DRM for no other reason except for "lol piracy", that for legitimate PC gamers, this has become a sore point.

Going by how well Arkham Asylum ran and looked, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, grit my teeth and wait and support them at launch.

It's a bullshit excuse. Of course they are going to say that - hey, we need more time to optimize the game! I just think it's to stop piracy from eating sales.

TheExodu5

Banned
GrandHarrier said:
Most GAFers tend to be die hard Steam-or-bust. So anything that isn't Steam is viewed as inferior and worthy of scorn.

Enough of your implications. There are legitimate reasons to dislike GFWL, and they have been mentioned in this thread.

commish said:
It's a bullshit excuse. Of course they are going to say that - hey, we need more time to optimize the game! I just think it's to stop piracy from eating sales.

Take a look at nearly any multiplatform release in the past 6 months and tell me they couldn't have used an extra month of QA and optimisation.

Give them the benefit of the doubt, and if the game is a buggy mess at launch, then you can criticise them. Arkham Asylum was one of the more polished PC titles I've seen at launch, so I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Khal_B

commish said:

You don't think I've considered that? Like I said, based on how well Arkham Asylum (which was also delayed on PC I believe?) ran on my machine, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

No biggy. I'm looking forward to the game but I have plenty of games to play and I don't usually feel a need to rush out and buy single player games day 1 anyway.

TheExodu5 said:
Enough of your implications. There are legitimate reasons to dislike GFWL, and they have been mentioned in this thread.

I wasn't implying anything. I was directly stating an observation of mine. My apologies if I came across otherwise. There are legitimate reasons to dislike anything. I've had Steam randomly corrupt my downloaded games. I've had no problems with any of my GFWL games. Am I a minority? Probably. But Batman: AA was smooth for me. So I have no reason to believe that AC wouldnt be the same.

TheExodu5 said:
Sign up for an account. Send him a message and see if he has any copies left. You can PayPal him money and he'll send you a code.
Just wanted to say I successfully ordered from him. Steam copy already activated :) he sent me the code in like 5 mins.

Thanks for the heads up!

Khal_B

TheExodu5 said:
Sign up for an account. Send him a message and see if he has any copies left. You can PayPal him money and he'll send you a code.

Is the code valid for non-US citizens?

Definity

TheExodu5 said:
Thanks. Signed up for an account but can't send the guy a PM yet. I'm assuming a mod/admin needs to approve my account.

Darklord said:
What the fuck? EB had it for the 9th. :mad:

:(

Must hold on...1080p, 60fps, more features...superior...version...

gameplay...story..... stilll... the .... same...

It really isn't a competition.

Dragon

Banned
Khal_B said:
But the experience is oh so much better.

The experience is a month later in a season full of notable releases. That can't be ignored just because the technical aspects are worlds better.

this is kind of a relief to me. it will give me another 2 weeks to set money aside for it. gonna be spending a lot of money these next few months in games with all these big releases!

Khal_B

Dragon said:
The experience is a month later in a season full of notable releases. That can't be ignored just because the technical aspects are worlds better.

When I finally have the game, I doubt the experience will be marred by a delayed release date. Granted, I'm disappointed that I have to wait a month, but that won't detract in any way or form from the enjoyment that I'll get from this game.

Whew! I was wondering how I'd get through Arkham City in only three days before Skyrim launched.

If they really are properly optimizing the game for PC I'll be happy to grab it, but it will probably not be in 2011, or full price, when I do.

Really bad timing either way. Games now releasing BEFORE Arkham City thanks to the delay:

L.A. Noire PC
Modern Warfare 3
SKYRIM
AC: Revelations
Saints Row: The Third

What a difference 10 days can make, this holiday season is a frickin minefield (of gaming goodness).

Mistwalker said:
Whew! I was wondering how I'd get through Arkham City in only three days before Skyrim launched.

If they really are properly optimizing the game for PC I'll be happy to grab it, but it will probably not be in 2011, or full price, when I do.

Really bad timing either way. Games now releasing BEFORE Arkham City thanks to the delay:

L.A. Noire PC
Modern Warfare 3
SKYRIM
AC: Revelations
Saints Row: The Third

What a difference 10 days can make, this holiday season is a frickin minefield (of gaming goodness).
BF3 too, correct?

That's annoying, but my frustration is slightly allayed by the fact I managed to get a $34 steam key via ebay. And having just scratched the surface of Dark Souls as well as the intermittent releases of Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3 and Skyrim I think I'll have more than enough to tide me over until its release.

It sort of fits the gaming calender nicely alongside the delayed PC version of Assassin's Creed: Revelations. A new release a week roughly.

The Nature Roy said:
BF3 too, correct?
True, but BF3 is out next week so was going to beat Batman out either way.

All those titles I listed were same-day or after Arkham City, and are now coming out first due to just the 10 day delay.

Insanity.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not even mad anymore. I figure with Dark Souls and Skyrim, I'll have more than enough to do while I wait.

Xizk

Guess I'm cancelling my preorder on GMG and getting it on 360. It releases the same day as Zelda and Mario so no way I will have time to play it then.

Mistwalker said:
True, but BF3 is out next week so was going to beat Batman out either way.

All those titles I listed were same-day or after Arkham City, and are now coming out first due to just the 10 day delay.

Insanity.
Not if you take into account the original PC date (the only other date ever officially announced): today...

I can wait, just finished RAGE but still gatta start Space Marine and Deus Ex and Dungeon Defenders comes out tomorrow. Too many games. So hyped for Dungeon Defenders!

This is actually pretty good timing for me. There was no way I was going to finish it before Uncharted 3 and MW3 come out. I'll pick it up around Thanksgiving to have as that game between the end of November and Christmas. I'm saving Skyward Sword and Skyrim until early next year to give me an empty plate and a chance to play all the big releases this fall. Other must gets for me right now are the MGSHD collection and AC:Revelations. Debating on picking up the Team Ico collection to make the two weeks before Uncharted go quicker.

My only worry is GFWL. I've never used the service before and I know it doesn't have that stellar of a reputation.

Holy shit at some of guys, you don't have much self control. Getting a version you didn't want and then double dipping even. So willingly falling into the trap, WB loves you at least.

EchosMyron1 said:
I can wait, just finished RAGE but still gatta start Space Marine and Deus Ex and Dungeon Defenders comes out tomorrow. Too many games. So hyped for Dungeon Defenders!

Space Marine is amazing, start with that.

Top Bottom