• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

Bumhead

Banned
I think I've sorted it now. Big thanks to all who offered suggestions, really appreciate it.

I uninstalled the game again. I noticed on a previous uninstall that the WB Games folder was still in My Documents. This time I deleted it before reinstalling the game. It crashed for me on the download check screen again (which it used to anyway every now and then) but on second attempt it all loaded straight through.

Pretty much lost a week to these issues but think im good now.

Not sure if posted.. A patch has been downloaded from MS' servers.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4180132&postcount=726

Unofficial/Official patch.

Looks like the official patch got leaked early (maybe), it was here - http://download.xbox.com/content/575...3_10000183.cab but is now removed but it got uploaded to here - http://www.mediafire.com/?4z1dsj5finkp9u0 by someone.

Just copy and paste if over your folders (i backed up all the old files - i like to get on the leader boards ).
---
I just tested it out and here is what i noticed.
-
Initial loading time is a lot faster, before this patch it seemed to take a minute or so from clicking the game and seeing the splash screen until you actully got the ingame videos, now it's within 10 seconds.

Ingame loading is a lot faster aswell when DX11/Physx is set to max.

DX11 benchmark with full maxed settings (including high Physx) not longer drops to single digits, my minimum was 17 and average was 40.

The benchmark now doesn't auto finish, it now has a press escape to exit at the end instead.

The building on the right at the end of the benchmark no longer has blurry textures and is nice and sharp.

You can't sign into live so you can't post on leaderboards due to the game being flagged as modified.
---
If this is what we are going to get then it is a bit better BUT could still use some more work on DX11 IMO.

(mods, if i'm not ok to post the link for this then let me know - should be ok though).

Edit.
Forgot to add, due to not being able to log into your GFWL account you can't save, you can only save if you have an offline account setup.

Just use the patch to test IMO and wait for the official release.

Reactions from another forum also indicated DX11 is okay-ish now.

big_z

with everything maxed out in the benchmark i get an average of 85fps and 50fps minimum yet the city runs like absolute horse shit even with physx off. other than the physx i cant figure out what effects are the most taxing because i always get similar results in the benchmark.

what settings would be the equivalent to the xbox version?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
with everything maxed out in the benchmark i get an average of 85fps and 50fps minimum yet the city runs like absolute horse shit even with physx off. other than the physx i cant figure out what effects are the most taxing because i always get similar results in the benchmark.

what settings would be the equivalent to the xbox version?
You may want to disable level streaming in your ini files. Just add bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=False to your UserEngine.ini file in the first major section of settings.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just started this last night, and am getting terrible hitching problems with mostly maxed out settings, DX11 (no PhysX) on a i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz, 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, and a Radeon HD 5870 1GB.

The framerate is pretty good for the most part, but travel is awful because any time I get to a new area it hitches like crazy. Is this fixed at all by switching to DX9?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I just started this last night, and am getting terrible hitching problems with mostly maxed out settings, DX11 (no PhysX) on a i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz, 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, and a Radeon HD 5870 1GB.

The framerate is pretty good for the most part, but travel is awful because any time I get to a new area it hitches like crazy. Is this fixed at all by switching to DX9?
Yep.

Presco

By chance, do you have the Steam overlay disabled for this game? If so, enable it and then try updating.

Hmm, nope. I think I fixed it and I don't think it was specific to Batman. I tried loading up Halo 2 Vista thinking that I could force the GFWL update through a different game. I ended up stuck in the same GFWL update loop so I purged my system of all things GFWL and re downloaded the client from the xbox.com

Loaded up Halo 2 and it worked. Hesitantly loaded up Batman and it worked!

Fuck GFWL. When will I learn?

Sober

I hate you so much right now.

Also, holy shit, blade dodge takedown is 100 points? Had no idea.
It'll give you 200, it has always given me +2 to my combo when I perform it.

Also, quite surprised the score got that high without it being mostly just critical strike training, there was some variety in that (though I guess alot of the multiplier juicing was from the aoe attack).

Sectus

It'll give you 200, it has always given me +2 to my combo when I perform it.

Also, quite surprised the score got that high without it being mostly just critical strike training, there was some variety in that (though I guess alot of the multiplier juicing was from the aoe attack).
The combo does increase with 2, but the move itself is still worth 100. I double checked in the video and you can see it by how much the total score increases after doing the move (ie, at 1:21 in my video you can see it increases with 3000 points).

I didn't realize until now that the whip trip move increases the combo by that much. It looks like it increases based on how many enemies it hits, maximum 5. Does the other moves which can hit multiple enemies do the same thing?

comrade

The combo does increase with 2, but the move itself is still worth 100. I double checked in the video and you can see it by how much the total score increases after doing the move (ie, at 1:21 in my video you can see it increases with 3000 points).

I didn't realize until now that the whip trip move increases the combo by that much. It looks like it increases based on how many enemies it hits, maximum 5. Does the other moves which can hit multiple enemies do the same thing?

Tried to go after your score Sectus but got second. You had 4,000 pts on me.

Lime

The unofficial patch somewhat improved my DX11 performance. My rig is an X3 720 BE @ 3,2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz RAM, unlocked 6950 @ 900mhz core clock + a PhysX dedicated 9800GTX+. I'm on the 11.5b hotfix drivers.

I went from a 22 fps with everything maxed (including ini tweaks) to 30 fps. There is still the occassional spike when loading a level, but otherwise everything seems at least playable.

EDIT: Not after all during actual gameplay. There is some insane slowdowns, especially when climbing walls as Catwoman. Seems like the biggest improvement is the benchmark itself, while the game still has plenty of hiccups and slowdowns.

so i tried that beta patch and it works. Game is maxed out, DX11 obviously, and besides some slight drop during camera panning I'd say it's 40-50% more fluid than the atrocious upatched version. In short, game is finally playable for DX11 users

-PXG-

I was quite surprised with the performance boost. I ran the benchmark to make sure that DX11 features were on. They were. My minumum was a 1 before (yeah...on two fucking 560s...) now it's 19.

I use Boob's config tweaks on DX9, not 11. I'll report later and mention any noticeable changes in performance.

EDIT

Ran the game with DX11 and Boob's tweaks. Bumped up the minimim FPS to 22 :p

scitek

I hope that update isn't for real. I get a better benchmark out of it, but my framerate traveling around the city is now in the 30s and 20s in DX11.

Question about combos:

When you have a combo that is "B + Y", do you press both buttons simultaneously, or in sequence, or do you press Y while holding B?

I'm also having trouble with the blade dodge. Do I hold Y and press away on the stick in time with each swipe? Or do I hold away on the stick and press Y with each swipe? Or do I just hold both buttons?

Jintor

Hold away on the stick, hit y when appropriate.

B+Y = hit both simultaneously. Hitting Y while holding B will also work, pretty sure.

Question about combos:

When you have a combo that is "B + Y", do you press both buttons simultaneously, or in sequence, or do you press Y while holding B?

I'm also having trouble with the blade dodge. Do I hold Y and press away on the stick in time with each swipe? Or do I hold away on the stick and press Y with each swipe? Or do I just hold both buttons?

Simultaneously.

When blade dodge appears, hold left stick back and hit Y with each swipe.

I usually just dodge over them or to another guy if I see a knife guy coming at me. They'll ruin your combo really quick because the timing is tricky.

Sober

Question about combos:

Only time pressing Y with the swipes if you are risking a takedown. Otherwise hold it until it finishes and punch him or something. That or jump over them or something.

If you plan on doing the takedown, keep your eyes on the blade for the timing (and do it in your head).

scitek

Okay, a little more playtime with that patch tells me that the hitching in both DX11 and 9 is much improved, but at the cost of a lower average framerate.

In DX11, my framerate's complete shit now, like 30s-40s at best with dips into the 20s, even if I just set "AllowD3D11=True" in the ini, which doesn't enable tessellation (it's clearly off in the benchmark, not sure about HBAO), so I think just rendering in DX11 is the problem. On the bright side, the hitching's all but gone.

In DX9, again the hitching's almost gone, but flying around yields me ~45fps, and when I land and look around it improves after a few seconds.

Also, I can save my game with the patch, I just can't get online.

Okay, a little more playtime with that patch tells me that the hitching in both DX11 and 9 is much improved, but at the cost of a lower average framerate.

In DX11, my framerate's complete shit now, like 30s-40s at best with dips into the 20s, even if I just set "AllowD3D11=True" in the ini, which doesn't enable tessellation (it's clearly off in the benchmark, not sure about HBAO), so I think just rendering in DX11 is the problem. On the bright side, the hitching's all but gone.

In DX9, again the hitching's almost gone, but flying around yields me ~45fps, and when I land and look around it improves after a few seconds.

Also, I can save my game with the patch, I just can't get online.

Did you try doing any of my tweaks?

scitek

Is this Extreme setting new?

ack8e2w.jpg

big_z

You may want to disable level streaming in your ini files. Just add bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=False to your UserEngine.ini file in the first major section of settings.

tried that and it doesnt do anything :(

the game runs smooth until im moving foward through the city and then it's awful.

scitek

Okay, I suppose the game is running fine in DX11 now. I'm guessing it's just a lot more taxing with the extra effects so the framerate's gonna take a huge hit. Tessellation looks to be a performance killer on high. I was just in an area in the middle of town surrounded by brick walls and was getting 9fps. I might just turn that to normal (or off) and lock it down at 30.

Sectus

tried that and it doesnt do anything :(

the game runs smooth until im moving foward through the city and then it's awful.

I think I might have the same problem. Framerate is fine almost all the time during indoor areas. It's fine rarely outdoors and it always stutters like crazy when I move around. I thought the framerate was just bad, but streaming is probably the cause.

Can anyone comment on how this runs with nVidia 3D Vision? I was able to run Arkham City pretty much flawlessly with it (with physX set to off). I'm guessing it will run shitty using DX11 in this mode, so I should stick to DX9?

i7 920 OC'ed to 3.9GHz
GTX 580
12GB RAM

Jtrizzy

Can anyone comment on how this runs with nVidia 3D Vision? I was able to run Arkham City pretty much flawlessly with it (with physX set to off). I'm guessing it will run shitty using DX11 in this mode, so I should stick to DX9?

i7 920 OC'ed to 3.9GHz
GTX 580
12GB RAM

Did you mean Arkham Asylum? I run Arkham City in 1280x720 3d DX9, everything maxed with Physx on normal with a similar setup. Haven't tried it with this new patch though.

Carm

I have a question, hopefully someone can answer because it's bugging me not knowing. When starting the game and the BM:AC logo pops up in the middle of the desktop, I notice some other thing in the bottom left corner with x to cancel it out.

Pic here shows what I'm talking about, is that the drm being loaded or something? Never noticed other gfwl titles doing that, or I missed it.

big_z

I have a question, hopefully someone can answer because it's bugging me not knowing. When starting the game and the BM:AC logo pops up in the middle of the desktop, I notice some other thing in the bottom left corner with x to cancel it out.

Pic here shows what I'm talking about, is that the drm being loaded or something? Never noticed other gfwl titles doing that, or I missed it.

thats securom or whatever that garbage is called being loaded and checked. this game takes forever to start and im guessing thats the reason why.

scitek

Here's some benchmark comparisons. I'll quote the ones I did when the game launched.

My AMD card in DX9 with 8xMSAA enabled.

batmanac.exe_2011-11-ufdsk.jpg

in DX11 with 8xMSAA enabled.

batmanac.exe_2011-11-rtc16.jpg

And after the unofficial patch (Extreme with Normal Tessellation):

DX9 8xMSAA

dx9_8xmsaapif0h.jpg

DX11 8xMSAA

dx11_8xmsaa0wdoa.jpg

DX9 High FXAA

dx9_fxaahighe1e7a.jpg

DX11 High FXAA

dx11_fxaahighrddr0.jpg

scitek

Those don't look too bad, how is DX11 in gameplay though? Bad hitches?

Just finished playing with FXAA. Framerate was 40-60 while flying around, but it felt quite smooth. Earlier I had it limited to 30fps with 8xMSAA enabled and it felt smooth then, as well, but the framerate dipped into the 20s at times.

The benchmark isn't very good for giving a feel for actual playing conditions, but the difference FXAA makes in DX11's performance is pretty accurate.

Lime

Am I the only one experiencing massive framedrops when climbing walls as Catwoman with the new unofficial patch?

Btw, scitek, what's your rig and do you have PhysX enabled?

No screens showing the new extreme settings? Come on, gaf.

Extreme is basically like the Very High setting except with Tesselation on High, as far as I can see. You can notice the ice in the city being tesselated:

Extreme settings with 8xMSAA:
batmanac2011-12-0123-vde1h.png

batmanac2011-12-0122-hldjw.png

I agree with scitek, DX11 looks noticeably nicer.

Top Bottom