• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

Lime

okay, tesselation is really demanding on the brick walls of buildings. Try scaling the bell tower of the church with Catwoman and see how your PC responds. My framerate probably drops to single digits.

MNC

Okay, I'm going to start again soon. What is the safest way NOT to get saves corrupted. Playing with an offline account on GFWL? My being pissed off has been diminished a bit and it's batman, so.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Really disappointed by the performance of this game. My FPS randomly drops from 60 to constant 10 fps whenever I get to the Two Face/Catwoman scene. I even put all my settings at low too

GTX 460 756mb
i7 2600 3.4 ghz
6gb ddr 3 ram

Time to go back to tweaking it more

coopolon

Really disappointed by the performance of this game. My FPS randomly drops from 60 to constant 10 fps whenever I get to the Two Face/Catwoman scene. I even put all my settings at low too

GTX 460 756mb
i7 2600 3.4 ghz
6gb ddr 3 ram

Time to go back to tweaking it more

Are you on DX9?

Kyaw

So what are the 'must do' tweaks and fixes to get this game working as well as possible?

Benchmark with DX11 is not looking too good. DX9 is however good enough.
It's a shame the game looks quite nice.

Should I also get that leaked patch?

So what are the 'must do' tweaks and fixes to get this game working as well as possible?

Benchmark with DX11 is not looking too good. DX9 is however good enough.
It's a shame the game looks quite nice.

Should I also get that leaked patch?

I did, good improvement, at least game is playable

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder why this even happens. It's like the game is coded to stop rendering anything while it loads new assets instead of streaming them in. It sucks, because I get great performance playing the game until I need to actually move around the city. I don't want to revert to DX9 since the DX11 effects are really well done.

Kyaw

The game itself is probably very good and an improvement to AA but the performance issues are annoying.

PhysX is pretty but also quite a hit to performance. (as usual)

Dennis

Banned
The game itself is probably very good and an improvement to AA but the performance issues are annoying.

PhysX is pretty but also quite a hit to performance. (as usual)

Thanks.

These performance issues, can they be solved by brute force or do they affect everyone?

kamspy

What is the verdict on the PC version of Arkham City? As good as the first game?

How about the PhysX?

PhsyX is the most impressive implementation yet. You'll have fun cutting through volumetric smoke and screen capping it the entire way. Great looking game. Easy to crank 32xCSAA also.

What is the verdict on the PC version of Arkham City? As good as the first game?

How about the PhysX?

There are a lot of people who cannot forgive the game for the DX11 shenanigans and the long delay, but in DX9 AND with PhysX, it runs just as well as AA did and plays even better. So you have to ask yourself a simple question: are you the principled "gamer" for whom your principles are more important than the game itself, or are you the gamer who can accept some minor cosmetic BS when the game itself is fucking awesome?

Demon Ice

Banned
What's the performance penalty for running PhyX on the CPU? I don't have an Nvidia card.

Also does anyone else's game take an annoyingly long time to launch?

Lime

What's the performance penalty for running PhyX on the CPU? I don't have an Nvidia card.

Also does anyone else's game take an annoyingly long time to launch?

PhysX is incredibly punishing for a CPU. Expect 10-15 fps at the most.

And yes, the launch of the game takes a while. More time to browse Neogaf :)

But the leaked patch should lessen the loading time. So try that out if you want to.

Demon Ice

Banned
PhysX is incredibly punishing for a CPU. Expect 10-15 fps at the most.

And yes, the launch of the game takes a while. More time to browse Neogaf :)

But the leaked patch should lessen the loading time. So try that out if you want to.

I bought the game through Origin, does that affect my ability to use the leaked patch? Otherwise I'll try it.

And I guess I'll keep PhysX to medium and give it a shot. Normally the game runs at or near 60 FPS constant so I can sacrifice a few frames.

Lime

I bought the game through Origin, does that affect my ability to use the leaked patch? Otherwise I'll try it.

And I guess I'll keep PhysX to medium and give it a shot. Normally the game runs at or near 60 FPS constant so I can sacrifice a few frames.

What I meant was that you should expect the game to run at 10-15 fps on CPU-bound Physx.

The leaked patch is independent of Origin/Steam/DRM. You simply copy the downloaded files into the game folder. You cannot go online with GFWL though, as far as I've gathered. But I don't need to be online to play AC, so it doesn't matter for me.

Demon Ice

Banned
What I meant was that you should expect the game to run at 10-15 fps on CPU-bound Physx.

Oh. Ouch. Alright, thanks.

Edit: According to the Guru3d post if you use the patch you can't save your game? How do you set your GWFL account to offline mode? I couldn't care less about gamerscore and all that mess.

Lime

Oh. Ouch. Alright, thanks.

Edit: According to the Guru3d post if you use the patch you can't save your game? How do you set your GWFL account to offline mode? I couldn't care less about gamerscore and all that mess.

I copied the patch and I still could use my old profile. I just couldn't connect to Live.

XOMTOR

Great looking game. Easy to crank 32xCSAA also.

Agreed the game looks great but there's only so much that can be done with it tweaking wise. I'd say its good looks come mostly from the art direction than anything else. The lighting and shadows are mostly pre-baked so tweaks have only a minor effect it seems.

As for 32xCSAA, it's an Unreal engine game so there are plenty of edges that won't be covered by any level of regular MSAA. I'd say beyond 8x, it's a waste. Better to use an injector along with it (SMAA or FXAA) to clean up what MSAA can't.

Edit:

In regards to DX11, it gets MVSS (multi-view soft shadows), HBAO as opposed to SSAO and tessellation. The first one is pretty subtle and can be tweaked a bit in DX9 to compensate. I've never been able to tell SSAO from HBAO but the tessellation should be noticeable.

scitek

Agreed the game looks great but there's only so much that can be done with it tweaking wise. I'd say its good looks come mostly from the art direction than anything else. The lighting and shadows are mostly pre-baked so tweaks have only a minor effect it seems.

As for 32xCSAA, it's an Unreal engine game so there are plenty of edges that won't be covered by any level of regular MSAA. I'd say beyond 8x, it's a waste. Better to use an injector along with it (SMAA or FXAA) to clean up what MSAA can't.

In DX11, MSAA has a massive performance hit, too. About 30fps between 8xMSAA and FXAA-High for me. Also, I haven't tried, but you may be able to force FXAA through the ini while also using MSAA. There's a post-processing line that changes from 3 to 0 when MSAA is on.

Shawsie64

Banned
Haven't been following the thread but installed this yesterday and runs 60fps on DX9 but DX11 is just fucked.. Same issues as everyone else for me.. Might try the leaked patch.

I will never buy another GFWL game again.

hlhbk

For those who don't know when the demo of Batman Arkham Asylum was released on PC there were literally hundreds of different costumes modded into the game via texmod. Once the full version was released whatever DRM they had in place on the .exe stopped you from being able to use it.

Apparently there are no such limitations in Batman AC! Below is the first one to be released, the Batman Begins suit! I am quite happy this can be done now. I am running the Steam version BTW.

1a930f5ee6715ed2e8dd425727f01d51073368e5.jpg

f5cba4fd596aa92b0275607a7a36e017fa1dbc49.jpg

Sober

For those who don't know when the demo of Batman Arkham Asylum was released on PC there were literally hundreds of different costumes modded into the game via texmod. Once the full version was released whatever DRM they had in place on the .exe stopped you from being able to use it.

Apparently there are no such limitations in Batman AC! Below is the first one to be released, the Batman Begins suit! I am quite happy this can be done now. I am running the Steam version BTW.

1a930f5ee6715ed2e8dd425727f01d51073368e5.jpg

f5cba4fd596aa92b0275607a7a36e017fa1dbc49.jpg
They should release the Rocksteady suit minus the battle damage so it doesn't feel awkward as hell playing the AC during the post-game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I found the leaked patch. If I already started the game while logged into GFWL, will be I be able to continue my game? The only thing I'll miss out on is achievements, right?

Mechazawa

They should release the Rocksteady suit minus the battle damage so it doesn't feel awkward as hell playing the AC during the post-game.
I would assume any modded suits also take battle damage. I don't think the actual model changes at all with any of these alternate suits.

scitek

Okay, I found the leaked patch. If I already started the game while logged into GFWL, will be I be able to continue my game? The only thing I'll miss out on is achievements, right?

You can continue your game, and you still get achievements, too. You just can't log online to post scores on leaderboards...or do other online stuff...

Sober

I would assume any modded suits also take battle damage. I don't think the actual model changes at all with any of these alternate suits.
Batman Begins suit shown above has no battle damage. By that part of the game you should have at least a
gunshot to the upper chest from Two-face

It might just be the texture and normals (and etc.) change, if so, you could do modded suits that take similar amounts of battle damage (or make ones that experience none at all).

scitek

Okay, now that DX11's fixed does someone wanna help me figure out how to get the game running in DX11 without MVSS and HBAO? Essentially, since DX11's faster than DX9, if you use DX9 options in DX11 mode, it may run smoother, right? For example, if you run Crysis 2 in Extreme in both DX9 and DX11, DX11 runs better.

XOMTOR

You need to turn off the Steam in-game overlay; however I've found that this can cause the game to crash, usually when exiting. From testing, I haven't found SMAA to be much better than FXAA.

It doesn't have the slight blur that you can get with FXAA but unlike FXAA, it doesn't appear to handle transparent textures at all. Personally, I'm still finding regular MSAA with FXAA the best; I find the slight blur actually pleasing as it gives it a bit of a GC look as opposed to the usually overshaprened look to computer graphics.

FXAA also works fine with Steam's overlay. If you object to the slight blur caused by FXAA, tweak the Sharpen.h file to suit. To give you an idea of the slight amount of blur we're talking about, if playing on my HDTV, I find bumping my sharpness setting from 0 to 8 on a scale of 100 is enough to recover any sharpness loss.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, now that DX11's fixed does someone wanna help me figure out how to get the game running in DX11 without MVSS and HBAO? Essentially, since DX11's faster than DX9, if you use DX9 options in DX11 mode, it may run smoother, right? For example, if you run Crysis 2 in Extreme in both DX9 and DX11, DX11 runs better.

Go into the settings from the launcher and turn those off? You'll also lose tessellation, though.

Top Bottom