• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

chewydogg

I have the green man gaming version of the game. I found the install path and everything was going smoothly, the game patched, clicked Finish on the wizard. I was then greeted with this:

Once again, I have the green man gaming version of the game, this sucks.

I'm having the same problem. GMG ver. here.

Zomba13

Urgh. Fuck GFWL. It won't update my game. It download the update, tells me to save and quit and then tells me the update has failed to start or some shit.

I had this same problem with the first Batman.

Fucking GFWL piece of shit.

burgerdog

Oh nice, got the same cpu but different card (560 Ti). Can't wait to try DX11. Did you have to do Boob's config over again after patching?

Nope, didn't have to reconfig the bmiengine file again.

Are you getting the stutter in the city? I have an e8400 and 5870.

No stuttering, so far the only thing that has caused major framedrops is the Church. I was on the roof and all the textures are tessellated, damn bricks. Luckily you don't ever have to be there more than once after you get the riddler trophy.

I'm having the same problem. GMG ver. here.

AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\Updates\57520fa0\Content\Setup.exe /f "C:\Program Files\CapsuleGames\Batman Arkham City - PC\Batman - Arkham City"

Type that in the in command prompt window. I had to rename the Batman Arkham City - PC folder, by the way, it was originally Batham Arkham City - PC. Batham? Yeah. Just check your folder to see if it's that.

So when after the patch when i try to log into GFWL it says my password is wrong. I don't remember changing it in the last month but I guess it's possible. Anyway, the bitch of it is that I when I click on the password box and try to type another password... nothing types. The keyboard is locked out of doing anything in that box, it seems.

So I can't play. Well, I can play, but it won't save. This port has been a disaster for me :(

So when after the patch when i try to log into GFWL it says my password is wrong. I don't remember changing it in the last month but I guess it's possible. Anyway, the bitch of it is that I when I click on the password box and try to type another password... nothing types. The keyboard is locked out of doing anything in that box, it seems.

So I can't play. Well, I can play, but it won't save. This port has been a disaster for me :(

Might need to reinstall the GFW client on your computer. I know...its a bitch.

Just figured it out. Evidently you can't change the password when the "save username and password" box is checked. Absurd, and not even sure what made me uncheck it, but I can atleast get by that point now.

chewydogg

I had to rename the Batman Arkham City - PC folder, by the way, it was originally Batham Arkham City - PC. Batham? Yeah. Just check your folder to see if it's that.

Yeah, I noticed mine named that way too. I'll try renaming it and see if it works. Did GMG do that? WTH

Runs soooo much better now on my GTX 590 completely maxed out. Unfortunately, it's still not a smooth 60 like AA. It hovers around 45-50, but hey - it's still a huge step up from the 30fps I originally played the game with (PS3). I get stutters here in there in the city but it's not nearly enough to detract from the beauty of the PC version maxed out, and it's not even close to as bad as it was on Day 1.

chewydogg

I tried renaming the Batham folder and entered the command. The setup wizard started and finished. When I close it, I get the "cannot find steam_api.dll" error again.

And my saved game seems to have disappeared during all of this...

edit:

steam_api.dll is there. I can find it when browsing my computer. I've scanned it with MSE and Malwarebytes and it seems to be fine...
Why does my non-steamworks version need that anyway?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Don't, the game needs UseBackgroundStreaming set to True otherwise it crashes.
Really? I don't recall seeing it crash. I guess I should double check and see if I actually have it set when I get home, but I could've sworn I put it in there.

burgerdog

I tried renaming the Batham folder and entered the command. The setup wizard started and finished. When I close it, I get the "cannot find steam_api.dll" error again.

And my saved game seems to have disappeared during all of this...

AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\Updates\57520fa0\Content\Setup.exe /f "C:\Program Files\CapsuleGames\Batman Arkham City - PC\Batman - Arkham City"

Make sure you follow up the batham folder with the bolded.

Zimbardo

tried dx11 out since Steam patched the game today.

its better, but still too inconsistent for me.

i'll just play it in dx9 ...that seems to be perfect.

chewydogg

Make sure you follow up the batham folder with the bolded.

I did. Still getting steam_api.dll error.

I was going to try to uninstall/reinstall, but Capsule can't find the game. It looks for the Batham folder...

Guess I'll just play through the game offline and non-updated :/

Some one with better art skills than me should draw Batham...

rallyart

Neo Member
I´m playing it in Dx9 maxed out, but with physx @ normal.

Is normal that in some parts, my avg fps goes from 60 fps steady to 30 fps?

Specially in the scene where Batman enter in the court house, where is Two Faces and Catwoman, near the very beginning of the game.

Is worth that I install a gtx 275 only for physx?

My rig:

I7 920 @ 3.8 ghz
6gb ram @ 1600 mhz
Win 7 x64
Latest nvidia driver (beta I think)
MSI GTX580 Lightning

pd: If I play this same scene with physx @ off, there is no slowdown at all.

burgerdog

I was going to try to uninstall/reinstall, but Capsule can't find the game. It looks for the Batham folder...

Some one with better art skills than me should draw Batham...

Are you using quotation marks after /f? That's all I have, good luck.

Manp

- A crash that occurred when selecting “Press Start” immediately when available at the Title Screen has been fixed. The issue was described as crashing/hard locking around the DLC (Downloadable Content) check.

holy crap, about time!

Smash88

Banned
I am astonished at how many people go, "OMG GAF MY FPS IS SO LOW AND I HAVE PHYSX ON".

I wonder what the problem is.... You don't need it on to play.

XOMTOR

Just tried the patch through Steam and as expected it made no difference in the streaming stutter under DX9. One thing I noticed though is that the BmEngine.ini file is written to as soon as you exit the game. I took a look through some of the lines and noticed that poolsize is now 512 whereas the old one was 1024. Luckily changes entered in the UserEngine.ini take priority.

coopolon

Patch definitely improved both DX9 and DX11 performance for me significantly. DX11 still dips into the teens though every once in awhile while flying around the city so I'm going to stick with Dx9. But I get very little stutter now when flying around the city. It was a real pain in the ass to install for GMG copies of the game. Buying it from them was a pretty big mistake, from now on they are just a Steamworks code reseller as far as I am concerned. For some reason they installed to a folder called Batham - Arkham City. That really threw me for a loop.

e8400@3.6Ghz and 5870 on Win7 64 bit playing at 1080p.

going to try Boobphysics .ini changes next time to see what that does for me.

GJS

I used some left over free microsoft points to pick up the DLC for this on PC.

Would there be any way of modifying the game so that the batman skins are active in the normal campaign and not new game+ only?

Sounds like UE3 PC issues. Did disabling level streaming help at all? That solves it in other games with the same engine that had it much worse in many cases, i.e. Alpha Protocol.

Won't work. Game can't use more than 2 GB of system RAM or it crashes. Even though it doesn't hit the 4 GB limit, still won't work. Pretty lame.

It honestly looks worse with Phsyx. It clashes with the careful level art in so many areas.

The only place I even noticed it was inside the steel mill. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure running PhysX is responsible for the wonky impact physics I occasionally experience when I punch people. I can't be the only person who has experienced this, but many of my friends that don't run PhysX and played in the consoles said they never did. I'll punch a guy and he'll fly comically into the air about 20 feet and fall to his death on the way down. Or I'll pull a guy with the batclaw into a barrel or some other shit on the ground and he'll go flying into the air 30 feet past me.

Please tell me someone else has experienced this.

Lettuce

Damn this game isnt very well optimised yet.

My specs

i5 2500k @ 3.6Ghz
4Gb Ram
GTX 560Ti

Running DX9 mode, everything on highest setting but with no AA what so ever and running the latest patch.

Benchmark results
Lowest 24fps
Highest 99fps
Average 65fps

jediyoshi

Steam store, but I don't think there are any DLC listed yet. Not quite sure if the GFWL DLC works on Steam version.

Are you sure? Purchases made through the GFWL overlay/xbox.com for Dirt 3 worked in the Steam version, and they're only available for purchase there.

The Robin/Nightwing and Skins packs are up right now on xbox.com

edit: Just tried it. Purchasing the DLC through xbox.com does work on the Steam version
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80457520fa0?noSplash=1

Red

How many updates have been sent out so far? I just installed and I've been through the update cycle three times now. On, off. On, off. How much longer till I can play?

Make that four times holy shit

I'm about to just go to bed.

Six updates and now my performance has dropped to 4 fps at the main menu. Fucking GFWL.

Did seven updates before just saying fuck it and playing offline. Getting around 30 frames in the city with extreme details and tesselation at 16x in CCC. Drops to 15fps in the sewers :/

Has anyone done an .ini guide for DX11, or is DX9 still generally considered the way to go?

Can anyone tell me if the weird blur/stair step effect here on the barbed wire in shot 1 and the diagonal paint stripes in
shot 2 are a consequence of FXAA? I have it enabled on high. Image is pretty clean, but I'm not sure oddities like this are worth the trade off.

I have AF forced at 16x.

L00P

Bah physx is still borked even on normal. Not worth turning it on at all. Which is a shame, it was perfectly fine in Arkham Asylum.

DX11 doesn't really improve much at all, it just decreased my frame rate. I guess I'm sticking with DX9.

Dipswitch

I had the same issue after I patched my GMG version of the game. Turns out I had pointed the manual patch installer to the save game path instead of the game install directory. Dur.

I re-ran the patch install using the full game install path and the game launched fine after that. Save game appears intact.

That is however the final straw when it comes to GMG. I'll get my DD games exclusively from Amazon or Steam going forward.

Can anyone tell me if the weird blur/stair step effect here on the barbed wire in shot 1 and the diagonal paint stripes in
shot 2 are a consequence of FXAA? I have it enabled on high. Image is pretty clean, but I'm not sure oddities like this are worth the trade off.

Hmm. I've never seen it happen that badly, but there is always a loss of definition to masked textures which are off in the background with FXAA because the original pixel data the shader is working off is already very low on detail, so shifting pixels around tends to destroy what little remains. It's probably a combination of FXAA and the bloomy effect from those lights in the foreground.

Urgh. Fuck GFWL. It won't update my game. It download the update, tells me to save and quit and then tells me the update has failed to start or some shit.

I had this same problem with the first Batman.

Fucking GFWL piece of shit.

I'm having the same issue....How do you fix this?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Finally got a chance to try the new patch. 20 min, 60 max, 47 average on the benchmark (vsync on due to tearing issues), and no hitches. 1920x1600 @ max settings. MUCH better than pre-patch.

About to jump into the game to see actual game performance flying around the city.

hlhbk

First I downloaded the patch, and it gave me pretty good results, though DX 11 framerates are still all over the place.

Secondly here is the screenshot of the Dark Knight Mod (only works in DX 9) located at http://community.batmanarkhamcity.c...1727-Batman-Arkham-City-Modded-Costume-thread!!

3d9e7943d80cf164dee008ecfbc1cadc3fc6bed8.jpg

I managed to fix the steam error that says this game is currently unavailable, anyone having the same issue I will post the fix, just let me know.So that leaves only one thing left to do..

tumblr_lu1dwi2oOq1qzrlhgo5_250.gif

Whooooooo!!!

Top Bottom