• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Wow...

I will never

ever

ever

EVER

buy another non-Steam game from GreenManGaming. Ever, ever again. I have seriously been trying to update my game for 4+ hours now. I give up. This is ridiculous. I've tried every single option/pointer in this thread - and I am thankful toward those who have given advice, thank you. But I'm assuming because I have my games stored on a Raptor Drive, rather than the SSD C: drive, nothing is working. I've altered every suggestion to the correct paths, too, but those aren't sticking/working either.

Ugh. So irritating. And it doesn't help that GFWL doesn't give me any options, anywhere. I've tried messing with directories in the GFWL Marketplace application, but that's not doing any good.

Man, this is EXACTLY the reason I prefer Steam.

EDIT:
L.O.L. I have like 8 copies of the game in my folder. WHY?!

Bumhead

Banned
Updated last night.

DX11 performance is still atrocious for me. If I turn on DX11 and/or PhysX the game becomes incredibly sluggish and my stuttering and audio drops return during videos (the Nvidia logo at start up etc).

Runs butter smooth in DX9 for me now and I seem to have eradicated crashing entirely at this point, but it sure feels good knowing I had to wait 5 weeks for features I can't use.

Been following this thread for a while now and it's safe to say that I'm not even going to bother trying to play this for a good few weeks. Also, should really change the thread title to reflect what a clusterfuck the PC release has been.

Been following this thread for a while now and it's safe to say that I'm not even going to bother trying to play this for a good few weeks. Also, should really change the thread title to reflect what a clusterfuck the PC release has been.

Unless you need the DX11 I would still recommend it, I 100%'d the game prior to any patch being out - and it is great.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Yup.

This is one of the very few times I wish I would have just gotten the console version. I have no doubt the game will *eventually* be much superior on PC. In DX11, at 1200p, max settings, it looks GORGEOUS. The graphics are amazing. But there's no reason my FPS should be dipping into single digits. Not at all.

Updating is a total freaking nightmare. Compound this with the fact the game was delayed more than once, and well, I'm incredibly disappointed. Which is a shame, because at about 6% in, it seems it's a wonderful title.

Unless you need the DX11 I would still recommend it, I 100%'d the game prior to any patch being out - and it is great.

I can't see myself playing through it more than once though, so I'd rather do it properly. I also read some stuff in here about peoples saves getting deleted. Fuck that.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I can't see myself playing through it more than once though, so I'd rather do it properly. I also read some stuff in here about peoples saves getting deleted. Fuck that.

Apparently that happens on the console versions as well. At least I've heard it happen on the 360 version.

funny thing is that pirates are having zero of this bollicksed release. I just read some of their forums and they can play the game with no problems with saves, DX11 or GFWL

Thanks, Rocksteady

no, not according from what i've read, they seem to rather enjoy the patch, which it kind of works after all
Really? What is this? I doubt anyone is going to copy CDP and release a DRM free executable for their game. I am finally finishing up AA so I could play this game. But if this is true, maybe I should avoid it.

So the stuttering is therefore caused by something the full version has? I can't believe DRM is causing performance hitches.

there are screenshots and benchmarks posted but I'm not going to give a link, they're piracy forums after all. Performance seems to have increased to 30-40 FPS in DX11, which is what I'm getting (ati 6990, 8gigs RAM, i5-2500 CPU) as well with an original copy. I'm not getting the corrupted saves yet though

coopolon

Wow...

I will never

ever

ever

EVER

buy another non-Steam game from GreenManGaming. Ever, ever again. I have seriously been trying to update my game for 4+ hours now. I give up. This is ridiculous. I've tried every single option/pointer in this thread - and I am thankful toward those who have given advice, thank you. But I'm assuming because I have my games stored on a Raptor Drive, rather than the SSD C: drive, nothing is working. I've altered every suggestion to the correct paths, too, but those aren't sticking/working either.

Ugh. So irritating. And it doesn't help that GFWL doesn't give me any options, anywhere. I've tried messing with directories in the GFWL Marketplace application, but that's not doing any good.

EDIT:

In my experience telling the patch to install to "C:\Games\CapsuleGames\Batman Arkham City - PC" created that folder despite it not existing before and the game not being installed there. So that folder existed along with the actual folder, "C:\Games\CapsuleGames\Batham Arkham City - PC". I imagine if you kept trying different directories, it kept creating those directories and installed to them.

Also, I have my game installed to a Velociraptor drive so I don't think that is the issue.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
DX11 is perfectly playable on my rig post-patch. A little stutter here and there flying around over the city, but comparable to what I saw in DX9. All set for my NG+ playthrough now!

Chairhome

Bah. Game runs great sometimes for me, but framerates drop (due to my aging hardware). The only big problem for me is that it sometimes starts stuttering a lot (dx9), to the point where it will stop for a second, go, stop for a second, then go again and repeat for a few frames. This seems to happen after playing for an hour or so. I have to restart the game. I had this issue before, but not sure what it is.

Not a big deal but has anybody had problem wit achievements popping?" Both Dial Z for Murder" and "Serial Killer" have popped up on my Steam achievements list but not on GFWL.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Man, I feel some of you are really sweating way too much over this DX11 stuff. Doesn't the game look almost the same in DX9 and DX11?

sikkinixx

Wow...

I will never

ever

ever

EVER

EDIT:

Agreed. I gave up. Not worth the money i saved.

Wow...

I will never

ever

ever

EVER

EDIT:

Not that I don't agree with your sentiment (not a huge fan of Capsule and probably won't buy from them anymore unless it's a steamworks game at a good price)..They addressed this yesterday. Just rerun capsule and under the commands tab, click on the reinstall script (or something to that effect) button. Now GFWL will patch for ou..

Mrbob

Glad to see pirates are getting a better experience than legitimate buyers, Rocksteady. Next time don't triple dip on the DRM and make it Steamworks only.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man, I feel some of you are really sweating way too much over this DX11 stuff. Doesn't the game look almost the same in DX9 and DX11?

DX11 looks slightly better, but no way in hell is it worth holding off the game for nor is it worth suffering through worse performance for. I was absolutely thrilled with the DX9 visuals as the game art is 95% of what makes it look great. I was also pleased with the 60 fps experience.

scitek

How's everyone's performance while flying around the city in DX9? In the benchmark I average 99 fps, but flying around the city I get mid-40s and 50-60 when on the ground.

Salaadin

can someone post boob settings please

Here...
Let me compile all of my posts in this thread...

Edit: For max quality Arkham City (DX9), change the following settings in bmengine.ini in My Documents/WBGames

Code:
MaxShadowResolution=4096 ;(try 2048 if you encounter shadow glitches, ALSO change this in Userengine.ini!!)
MinShadowResolution=32
MaxAnisotropy=16
bEnableBranchingPCFShadows=True
bAllowBetterModulatedShadows=True
bEnableForegroundShadowsOnWorld=True
bEnableForegroundSelfShadowing=True
bAllowWholeSceneDominantShadows=True
SizeOfPermanentObjectPool=19600000 ;(optional, may allow more RAM usage)
HysteresisLimit=20
DropMipLevelsLimit=16
StopIncreasingLimit=12
StopStreamingLimit=10

Dipswitch

Not that I don't agree with your sentiment (not a huge fan of Capsule and probably won't buy from them anymore unless it's a steamworks game at a good price)..They addressed this yesterday. Just rerun capsule and under the commands tab, click on the reinstall script (or something to that effect) button. Now GFWL will patch for ou..

Where did they say this was sorted out? Their support website/forum is terrible, and I couldn't see any obvious references to this on their blog or Twitter feed. Another reason why I'm done with them.

coopolon

Where did they say this was sorted out? Their support website/forum is terrible, and I couldn't see any obvious references to this on their blog or Twitter feed. Another reason why I'm done with them.

It is on their forum and stickied, but I agree their forum is awful.

Dipswitch

It is on their forum and stickied, but I agree their forum is awful.

Somehow I'd missed the forums link on the main page. I was going through the 'Support' page, which links you to a different, even more decrepit set of forums.

As for their official fix, someone posted that it created more problems than it solved, so I'll stay clear of that.

Kyaw

I'm getting some stuttering in the game. It's minor, nothing to get worked up over but it's still there. There's also quite a bit of tearing.

I'm using DXTORY to cap the game at 60fps. Should I try running D3DOverrider to enable Triple buffering?

scitek

No one's getting 60fps at all times, right? I get dips into the fucking 30s in the city in DX9, which is really crappy IMO. Indoors I get a solid 60, but I prefer to just lock it down at 30 in DX11 and play with the added effects. The only time I play in DX9 is for the challenges since the 60fps helps with the combat. Arkham Asylum is a constant 60 no matter what for me, though.

REV 09

DX11 is playable for me, but too sluggish for my tastes. It feels like the entire game is lagging even though i'm getting decent framerates.

DX9 feels better than ever though. The city parts are mostly smooth with only minor framerate drops. This is a big improvement over the hitching that was happening before.

Somehow I'd missed the forums link on the main page. I was going through the 'Support' page, which links you to a different, even more decrepit set of forums.

As for their official fix, someone posted that it created more problems than it solved, so I'll stay clear of that.
Worked fine for me... It's just the same exact fix ad the community proposed one where you type a destination change into run

Aeana

I guess I'm relieved to hear that few people are getting 60 FPS solid in the city. I can get 60 most of the time, but it does drop into the 40s when I look certain directions. It bothers me so I tried limiting it to 30 FPS, but ... for some reason after limiting it to 30, it'd drop down into the low 20s when looking at those same places that brought me into the 40s before. Very odd.

But I've been playing for a while now and the framerate changes aren't frequent enough to make me ill, so I'm content.

Bumhead

Banned
Got another issue again now.

Straight after the fight with
Ra's Al Ghul
, the game "hangs". The fight ends, the cutscene finishes and it's just a blank screen. If I press pause, the pause menu comes up and if I press select I can access the map etc, but as soon as I try and play the game it's just a black screen.

Happened on three consecutive occasions now.

Following on from last week and being unable to play the game AT ALL for the best part of 4 days, I managed to make about an hours worth of post-patch progress in this without coming up against my next irritating bug. But, here we are again.

What a shambles. The absolute worst PC release I've played. I bought Skyrim for £20 today so maybe I'll just play that instead. Maybe I'll come back to Arkham City eventually, maybe I won't.

Jtrizzy

That seems to be DX11 in a nutshell for most games that use it. Not worth the problems.
That's been my experience as well. In my brief time with a hiigh end rig, DX11 just doesn't seem ready for prime time...seems like you need to xfire/sli to really enjoy it, but then you'll have to wait for optimizations, patches etc.

dino1980

Got 40-50fps now with dx11, but with some dips sometimes. Im gonna also turn this off for now because I cant see that much of a difference.

jackdoe

I can see a difference with DX11, it's definitely an improvement, but the cost in terms of framerate greatly outweighs the slight visual flourishes that DX11 provides for me.

XOMTOR

The exact differences between DX9 and 11 are MVSS, HBAO and tessellation. Because almost all of the lighting and shadows in the game are pre-baked, you aren't going to notice the differences except on shadows cast by your character or other NPCs. Also DX9 features SSAO whereas DX11 has HBAO and it'll be almost impossible to tell apart in this game. Unfortunately, it seems that it's the HBAO that is causing quite a bit of the performance issues we're seeing and can't be switched off without disabling DX11.

Aside from tessellation which will be noticeable in certain areas, here's a comparison someone over at Hardforum made between DX9 & 11 (see if you can spot the differences):

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038099290&postcount=98

BTW, anyone who dislikes DOF can turn it off by adding this line to your UserEngine.ini under [SystemSettings]

DepthOfField=False

The exact differences between DX9 and 11 are MVSS, HBAO and tessellation. Because almost all of the lighting and shadows in the game are pre-baked, you aren't going to notice the differences except on shadows cast by your character or other NPCs. Also DX9 features SSAO whereas DX11 has HBAO and it'll be almost impossible to tell apart in this game. Unfortunately, it seems that it's the HBAO that is causing quite a bit of the performance issues we're seeing and can't be switched off without disabling DX11.

Aside from tessellation which will be noticeable in certain areas, here's a comparison someone over at Hardforum made between DX9 & 11 (see if you can spot the differences):

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038099290&postcount=98

BTW, anyone who dislikes DOF can turn it off by adding this line to your UserEngine.ini under [SystemSettings]

DepthOfField=False
Looking at those images I guessed correctly that DX11 was the first and third images. That said, I looked at them repeatedly and wasn't even sure I was right. So little difference, glad I turned it off.

Top Bottom