• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

Regardless of how you feel about the technical state of this product, I think we can all agree that Rocksteady should just pick either GFWL or Steamworks in future.

Still not there. Brilliant.

Well, I wasn't enjoying the game so they made the decision easy for me. Never going back. I just wish I didn't give them money for this piece of shit product.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow I'm glad I uninstalled the game last night because I thought the only way to get my robin and nightwing dlc to work was to reinstall it. I spent a few hours last night and most of today so far downloading the game again so I guess that patch didn't count. I did just get this latest one though.

Couldn't find my save file in the folder in the documents section but when i loaded the game up it was still there.

Atomski

Just got done downloading this from yesterdays sale.. why is GFWL poping up? I thought the steam version used steamworks :/.

deleted

You got to be kidding me!

I am at home during the holidays and the dl-rates here are horrible. I wanted to finish AC during this time, but the patch just started downloading - While I was looking what it does, the rollback checked in and now I have to redownload the game. 16GB with 50 kb/s? I don't think so...

Time to finish Limbo, Orcs must die and Darksiders, till this disaster is over and GFWL is gone.

scitek

What the hell happened? Steam downloaded a patch, but my download history only has a record of one, but there was supposed to be a second patch to fix the first, right? The hell?

Regardless, GFWL is still there, as are my saves.

Derrick01

Banned
Where the hell is your save stored then? It's not in my save folder but it's also not there when I load the game up.

I don't know I never looked before but I'm assuming it was being stored in the documents folder under WB games, but I just looked now after seeing all this and the folder was empty yet when I get past the title screen it's still listed. I haven't tried loading it up yet but I will in a little bit.

Burekma

just a friendly reminder guys that if you buy the DLC from steam you still have to redeem the codes via GFWL. still bullshit.
LOL

This reminds me of the Borderlands clusterfuck, where 2 DLCs that had securom needed to be registered, but the prompt for securom activation went behind the full screen app. So I'm literally sitting there, watching the loading screen for 5 minutes before I say fuck it and ctrl+alt+del to desktop. And there it is, the little shitty securom prompt where I need to insert my key.

That + the Bioware Mass Effect 2 DLC bullshit made me realize, I'm not fucking touching any DLC unless it's fully steamworks integrated. It seems only Valve are competent enough to do a user friendly system that doesn't suck... which is Ironic, considering Valve don't do paid for DLC for their games at all.

epmode

just a friendly reminder guys that if you buy the DLC from steam you still have to redeem the codes via GFWL. still bullshit.
You sure? I never did that and I see those ridiculous costumes in the challenge mode menu. I haven't actually unlocked any challenge maps so I can't confirm that they work in-game though!

It's worth mentioning that while I see the extra Batman costumes, I don't see Robin or Nightwing (I didn't buy that DLC).

edit: Unless you mean that you have to enter the key into GFWL as soon as you boot the game for the first time. I did that. A bunch of Steam games pull that crap though, not just GFWL.

Regardless, I still hope GFWL dies in a car crash!

You sure? I never did that and I see those ridiculous costumes in the challenge mode menu. I haven't actually unlocked any challenge maps so I can't confirm that they work in-game though!

It's worth mentioning that while I see the extra Batman costumes, I don't see Robin or Nightwing (I didn't buy that DLC).

edit: Unless you mean that you have to enter the key into GFWL as soon as you boot the game for the first time. I did that. A bunch of Steam games pull that crap though, not just GFWL.

Regardless, I still hope GFWL dies in a car crash!

yes, as soon as you buy the DLC, it doesn't automatically get installed via steam. you have to install it via GFWL.

This may have been answered, but I bought my brother a physical PC copy for Christmas, but if I buy and gift the DLC on Steam, would he be able to use it?

McNum

Looks like I was kind of lucky not to have had time to play Batman yet after buying it yesterday. I'm just wondering if I should go for the Robin and Nightwing DLC or not... I mainly used the challenges of Asylum to mess with the enemies, not really for high scores.

ManeKast

Trying to get my head around this, what happened again?

Was playing last night, just woke up. So, is there a new patch? Or what?

Cirdan

Neo Member
Was the patch some mistake or are they actually planning to remove the GFWL somehow while also letting people keep their saves? Because if so I might be willing to wait for it and other possible fixes.

scitek

Trying to get my head around this, what happened again?

Was playing last night, just woke up. So, is there a new patch? Or what?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. My Steam client shows that it downloaded a patch of some kind, but nothing's changed. GFWL is still there, as are my saves. Supposedly a second patch was sent out to roll back the first one or something...

ManeKast

That's what I'm trying to figure out. My Steam client shows that it downloaded a patch of some kind, but nothing's changed. GFWL is still there, as are my saves. Supposedly a second patch was sent out to roll back the first one or something...

So this means there is a new patch incoming? Thats good news. Games performing OK in DX9 it just crashed a few times and frame rate is unstable (60 then suddenly 20 for a bit then 60 again, retarded).

scitek

So this means there is a new patch incoming? Thats good news. Games performing OK in DX9 it just crashed a few times and frame rate is unstable (60 then suddenly 20 for a bit then 60 again, retarded).

I still have no idea. :\

I'd rather not lose my save, though.

untitledknbm0.jpg

ManeKast

So far bought the game, messed around for say 2-3 hours configuring, claiming DLC (figuring that out too), patching and having it crash before even starting to play. PC gaming, rewarding but so so annoying at times.

Was the patch some mistake or are they actually planning to remove the GFWL somehow while also letting people keep their saves? Because if so I might be willing to wait for it and other possible fixes.

It was probably a mistake. If I had to guess, I'd say that the patch made it through Steam's approval process, but had not finished GFWL's approval process, hence why GFWL disappeared and Valve called it "preliminary."

coopolon

This may have been answered, but I bought my brother a physical PC copy for Christmas, but if I buy and gift the DLC on Steam, would he be able to use it?

No, the physical version of Batman AC is not Steamworks. So he will not be able to activate the game on Steam, and if you bought him DLC on Steam it would not work with his version of the game.

If you can return the physical version (assuming you haven't opened it) and buy him the game on Steam, then you could also buy him DLC on Steam. Unfortunately the Steam deal is already expired. If you buy it from another DD site like GMG or Origin where they are also having sales, those versions also will not work on Steam unfortunately and therefore will be incompatible with Steam dLC.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
What's the consensus of dx11? Does it only add tessellation? How big is the performance drop and is it worth it in your opinion?

It was probably a mistake. If I had to guess, I'd say that the patch made it through Steam's approval process, but had not finished GFWL's approval process, hence why GFWL disappeared and Valve called it "preliminary."

i really hope you're right and that the next patch fixes the scaleform video problems. i've never felt so burnt at buying a PC game at launch in more than a decade of PC gaming. i still can't play it :(

Q8D3vil

What's the consensus of dx11? Does it only add tessellation? How big is the performance drop and is it worth it in your opinion?
dx11 is good, not as good as the physx implementation though.

i'm inbetween rolling with either physx or dx11 because i can't go with both and achieve playable fps.

btw, 3d in this game is god damn amazing.

Corky

i'm inbetween rolling with either physx or dx11 because i can't go with both and achieve playable fps.

Downloading the game atm, and I'm fairly certain it's going to be the same scenario for me. Either dx11 or physX, but not both.

I really enjoyed physX in AA so I was hoping the dx11 features to be rather negligible.

Dennis

Banned
All settings supermax with DX11 (Tessellation, MVSS and HBAO) and PhysX set to High.

2560 x 1600 resolution with 4xMSAA. One GPU dedicated to PhysX

30 fps average

I tried last night for a while to get my save back but nothing I did worked, even after lots of Googling.

Officially done with it. Was a shit game anyway.

Skyrim and Saints Row 3 are much more deserving of my time!

Was gifted this game the other day during the sale. Never entered this thread but saw the "Steamworks" thing...imagine my surprise when I saw both GFWL and SecuROM. Still, not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I installed the DLC I was also gifted (thanks to my friend) and lo and behold, because I had disabled the Steam overlay one of the DLC packs wasn't working. After a few errors and then an attempt after re-enabling the overlay, it was declared an invalid code.

I called up GFWL support on the phone, and oh man. Call me jaded but I was expecting something similar to the Origin horror stories. Instead I got a well-spoken English-speaking guy who patiently got me through my account info, and determined that one of the times it gave me an error it actually went through and was awaiting me in the download queue. (Stupid of me not to check there? Perhaps.) He even waited while it downloaded to make sure it was all working, chatting about Batman:AA and such. I guess I'm saying, as much as GFWL is a pain, their support structure really put me at ease. I can't stay annoyed.

And yeah, so far the game is terrific.

Lime

DX11: MVSS+HBAO+Tesselation.

The performance drop is mostly if you have Tess set to high - otherwise DX11 is definitely worth it, imo.

Q8D3vil

Downloading the game atm, and I'm fairly certain it's going to be the same scenario for me. Either dx11 or physX, but not both.

I really enjoyed physX in AA so I was hoping the dx11 features to be rather negligible.
just tried it.

physx is better but damn fps keep dropping below 60 a lot for no reasons.

gonna try dx11 later

Corky

just tried it.

physx is better but damn fps keep dropping below 60 a lot for no reasons.

gonna try dx11 later

Well the download just finished and I've been spending a couple of minutes tweaking to get a happy medium.

Everything is on, and set to highest except : AA is set to FXAA high and Tessellation and Phys X are both set to Normal. @2560x1440

And according to the ingame benchmark I averaged 58 fps ( v-sync off ) with the lowest being 29.

Do the numbers look way off for sli 560s and 2600k? Or is that where I should land?

RivalCore

Oh god damnit, my saves are gone again and it isn't loading up my back up files.

Fantastic game but christ, who the fuck let this out of the gate with such a critical flaw?

Top Bottom