• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC release date now Nov 18 - Steam version uses Steamworks

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Haven't tried but might do so tomorrow. I don't really like FXAA as I feel it tends to blur in too many games (Serious Sam 3 is the best I've ever seen it). MSAA generally looks a lot nicer, at the cost of performance.

I assume with FXAA turned on, even at highest, performance would be boss.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I cut down the AA to MSAAx2 and got a pretty huge performance boost. In fact, even with tessellation and physx on high, and everything else maxed, it appears that the AA was killing performance more than anything.

It still hitches every now and that, but I'm putting that down to shoddy DX11 support and usual UE3 quirks.

The hitches are from the tesselation and physx 95% of the time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Interesting. I'd turn tessellation off for a performance gain because, unlike Crysis 2, it's not anywhere near as notable or in-your-face, but I'm a sucker for maximum game detail :p. PhysX I wouldn't turn off, as the effects are just too cool.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The physx effects look out of place and the pieces of destruction look like shit because they aren't effected by lighting.

They are *so* tacked on.

EatChildren

I disagree because your face is stupid and you smell funny.

my only problem with the tesselation effects is how unevenly they're spread across the game. i don't want to nerf the tesselation in areas with only a few objects tesselating because there's a load of stuff tesselating by the entrance to the church and it strangles my PC when i go there.

Wonko_C

I thought this and Asylum were originally intended to be played with Physx effects in mind but those weren't present on the console versions for obvious reasons, isn't this the case in most games? (I know the PC versions came out later)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I thought this and Asylum were originally intended to be played with Physx effects in mind but those weren't present on the console versions for obvious reasons, isn't this the case in most games? (I know the PC versions came out later)

Physx effects are never intended to be used, they are tacked on because Nvidia pays them to add them in or even sends a dude over to help with it.

Wonko_C

Physx effects are never intended to be used, they are tacked on because Nvidia pays them to add them in or even sends a dude over to help with it.

I didn't think of it that way in Arkham Asylum, but I can see that in Arkham City though, now it has tainted my future playthroughs of the game, "what has been seen can't be unseen" and stuff.

Q8D3vil

Interesting. I'd turn tessellation off for a performance gain because, unlike Crysis 2, it's not anywhere near as notable or in-your-face, but I'm a sucker for maximum game detail :p. PhysX I wouldn't turn off, as the effects are just too cool.
physx is amazing, don't listen to the haters :p
3d is amazing with this game too.

Sectus

finally grabbed it during the last steam sale along with the nightwing, robin and challenge maps DLC.
right now i can't still play it but i was curious to ask

is the Catwoman DLC already available ingame? cuz i haven't found it in the steam store...

All PC copies already has the Catwoman content.

Red

Anyone else having issues with riddler trophies reappearing after saving and turning off the game? Happened to me a couple of times now. Progress stays the same but riddler trophies are back on the map.

I started playing this today and just got the grapnel boost. Having a reoccurring issue where if I get a couple of boosts strung together and get a good glide going the game locks at 30 fps and stays there for up to 15 seconds after I land.

Are my settings too high or is it a performance issue? Other than that it stays at a smooth 60fps

Red

I started playing this today and just got the grapnel boost. Having a reoccurring issue where if I get a couple of boosts strung together and get a good glide going the game locks at 30 fps and stays there for up to 15 seconds after I land.

Are my settings too high or is it a performance issue? Other than that it stays at a smooth 60fps
You using vsync?

Finished the game yesterday (story, all sidequests, and all riddler trophies). Loved it and it ran great on my PC (locked 60fps in DX9 except when gliding quickly across the city when it would drop to the mid 50s while loading content). I had very few problems (excepting DX11 performance), so at least for me, I thought it was a very well done port.

EatChildren

Did the in-game benchmark. Only setting of note is MSAAx2. Otherwise everything, including tessellation and PhysX, were set to maximum/extreme/high/whatever, at 1920x1080.

batbencht5b7v.jpg

The game never runs at that minimum framerate, not consistently anyway. The annoying hitches caused the low drops.

Oh, and as a side point, I wish the various papers littering the ground in Arkham City had PhysX attached. They're all static which is weird.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The other amusing thing about the benchmark is that there are massive framerate drops as it streams in the next area to bench.... and it factors those drops into the final scores even though the screen is black at those points.

EatChildren

Yeah, Mafia 2 is ridiculous. Mafia 2 also has my favourite use of SSAO. The lighting and shadows engine is crazy good looking.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mafia 2 is still the best implementation of PhysX in any game.

Game is great. Was just on sale too, suckers.
I bought it at full price and beat it and enjoyed the hell out of it and bought the DLC too and played that (though the story missions of Joe's Adventure were the only real good stuff).

Can you claim as much? Or are you still on the first mission?

Bricfa

So any suggested graphical settings and or tweaks?

I'm running a AMD 955 BE @3.6GHz, and an overclocked nvidia GTX 570.

I tried running it at 1080p with 4x MSAA, everything but tessellation turned on, and it went down to unacceptable framerates a few times.

What exactly do MVSS and HBAO do anyway?

Darkkn

So any suggested graphical settings and or tweaks?

I'm running a AMD 955 BE @3.6GHz, and an overclocked nvidia GTX 570.

I tried running it at 1080p with 4x MSAA, everything but tessellation turned on, and it went down to unacceptable framerates a few times.

What exactly do MVSS and HBAO do anyway?

Don't bother with dx11. It does not make a noticeable difference and performance is terrible.
Use FXAA (High) instead of MSAA if you still have problems with performance.

Struct09

Steam started to download a patch and I paused it. Is it safe to update the game right now? Can't find any patch notes.

EDIT: Might just be the DLC

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I hate games for windows live.

Everything is so damn slow. Game load, saving, logging in. Get the fuck out of my way and let me play the game I bought. Argh.

Kyaw

Don't bother with dx11. It does not make a noticeable difference and performance is terrible.
Use FXAA (High) instead of MSAA if you still have problems with performance.

Seconded. FXAA looks great in this game and DX11 does almost nothing but cripples the performance.

Have similar setup as yours, got mostly 60 stable.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yeah, FSAA and DX9 here too. While the average framerate in the bench was acceptable at MSAAx8 and DX11 with high tessellation, in the actual game I swear it was 10 fps on buildings. While it does look a bit worse on DX9 with IQ, not enough worse to justify 50+ fps to 10-15 fps.

I was bitching earlier about GFWL because each time I changed settings and launched in game to bench the login wouldn't remember my credentials and would take a minute to log in. Doesn't do that anymore. Weird.

And it just smacks of being completely untested too. The bench says to hit ESC to exit, but it's space. How can you fuck that up. I swear these developers have like 1 tester that switches to PC builds 2 weeks before release.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This game look so good on PC, i'm glad i bought it. And Mark Hamill still does a great job as Joker. Too bad there isnt as much of him as in Arkham Asylum.

Red

This game look so good on PC, i'm glad i bought it. And Mark Hamill still does a great job as Joker. Too bad there isnt as much of him as in Arkham Asylum.
I would go so far as to say Arkham City Joker is the best thing he's ever done

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My first impression with this game was poor so I shelved it for a few weeks, but I gave it another chance, and man, it's so damn good. I think I just played it for like seven hours straight. I'm sticking with DX9 mode for the steady performance, but it still looks pretty amazing.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Seconded. FXAA looks great in this game and DX11 does almost nothing but cripples the performance.

Have similar setup as yours, got mostly 60 stable.

Third'd...

dx11 is negligible from what I've seen, and fxaa does a great job. I just wish physX wasn't as broken as it is... I really like the effects and all that and find it ridiculous that they go these kinds of extents to lock people out of it.

I would be more than happy if normal had all the effects high had but in less quantities, i.e less papers, shards of glass/ice etc etc, but blatantly removing big parts of the feature going from high to normal pisses me off. Especially considering they could easily optimize the shit.

Finally about ready to dive into this... Quick Q: I downloaded the free Batman Inc. skin and read how you can use the alternate skins right from the start via a controller code. If I use the Inc. skin, will it appear in cutscenes or are they prerendered like in AA?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I would be more than happy if normal had all the effects high had but in less quantities, i.e less papers, shards of glass/ice etc etc, but blatantly removing big parts of the feature going from high to normal pisses me off. Especially considering they could easily optimize the shit.
But then you would have no reason to put 2+ Nvidia cards in your PC (their latest model too) at the same time!!

burgerdog

Finally about ready to dive into this... Quick Q: I downloaded the free Batman Inc. skin and read how you can use the alternate skins right from the start via a controller code. If I use the Inc. skin, will it appear in cutscenes or are they prerendered like in AA?

About 90% of them are pre-rendered.

Top Bottom