• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight - Review Thread

I'm surprised the Batmobile stuff rubbed KVO from Gamespot enough to lower to the score to a 7 - sounds like he really enjoyed the game otherwise. Still, if the worst part in the game is too much of an okay Batmobile...yeah I can probably live with that.

Gurish

The concept seemed kind of poor initially but the implementation is amazing. The act of driving the batmobile through the city feels really REALLY good. The camera work, motion blur, and control are all very satisfying. It could have felt awful but it doesn't.

But what about the combat with the Batmobile? seems most reviews complain about that.

Sijil

Looking great, love it when reviews come out before game release, also shows a developer has confidence in their game. Got the Ultimate edition for 55$ PC (thanks GMG) too. Tho I still have way more to go on Witcher 3 before I touch the game, going to benchmark it for a couple of hours then return once I'm with the Witcher 3.

Interfectum

I'm surprised the Batmobile stuff rubbed KVO from Gamespot enough to lower to the score to a 7 - sounds like he really enjoyed the game otherwise. Still, if the worst part in the game is too much of an okay Batmobile...yeah I can probably live with that.

It sounds like the batmobile stuff leaks into the boss fights as well... I'm guessing that's where the the score took the biggest hit.

TheXbox

Delighted to hear from Digital Foundry that the game's launching in excellent condition, it's a shame it's become something to commend but fair fucks to WB and Rocksteady for giving it more time in the incubator and shipping it in a fit state.

I think that undermines GameSpot's review a bit; how they can give Unity a 7 in the sorry state that launched in, and then give this a 7 as well.... seems a bit harsh, no?

And I'm surprised Kevin's review didn't go into more detail about just how fucking incredible the game looks visually, really quite astounding.
VanOrd didn't review Unity, and he praises (albeit briefly) the visuals and audio in the written review.

Kssio_Aug

I really liked Arkham Asylum, but City was just ok. I'd prefer if they kept with more closed areas other then going to the open-world route.

The review scores are good, but the gameplay videos don't feel so hot to me, and I'm not really hyped for this one.

kaskade

Yes, I'm so excited. A little bummed about some of the complaints with the batmobile stuff but I'll have to try it out for myself before I can dismiss that or agree. Either way those are some great scores. Tuesday can't come soon enough.

JebusF

Neo Member
I'm not saying the review is bad. But that one line is just cheesy. You have to agree with be there. No biggie. :)

It's my review, and criticism taken on board. But that's the thing, I tried to not be cheesy, but the game oozes cool at every corner. I hate using that word, but it is "cool", and I meant what I wrote, cheesy or not :)

They been saying "BE THE BAT" for ages, but...corny as it sounds (and I'm abundantly aware of how corny it sounds), that's exactly how it felt to me, like no game has in ages.

Oh wow such delightful scores!

I've been really looking forward to this.
I'm not even worried about the Batmobile, in fact I'm glad it's in
seeing as it looks so much fun to drive.

Now the long wait until my PSN unlock.

As someone who started the Arkham games early last year and just recently finished up with Origins recently, I'm gonna hold off on this one for a while. I want to go in when I have a real itch to play it. I'm sure it will be fantastic just like the other games in the series.

I think the bosses from Arkham City are great, specially Freeze

I dont like all the comments about the batmovil...When I saw in videos did not fully convince me.

Freeze was the only good one.
Pinguin, Clayface, Ra's Al Ghul
etc were just awful as fuck.

Mononoke

Banned

Wasn't just that, it's implied the story has issues, as well as the boss fights in the back half weren't so hot. This bums me out if true. I thought the Arkham City script was a mess and fell apart at the end. Shoot, worries me that happens here as well. Arkham City also got glowing reviews, and I remember thinking the second half was a damn mess.

But all the other reviews are so glowing. 10/10 9.2-5/10s, again, guess I'll wait and see for myself.

Tokklyym

Neo Member
Great scores, so I'll jump.

I never finished Arkham City, allthough I liked it. It was one of those games the open world in my opinion worked against it. Asylum is one of my favourite games ever because it presents such a great adventure in a tight but believable location. It has awesome pacing, but lots to do on the side as well. In City I just, I don't know. Got sidetracked all the time, and lost the motivation to funnel trough the story because of it. It was the main reason I skipped Origins.

So I'm a bit wary about this one. I would give everything for a Asylum-esque tight adventure. But I can't skip on a seeminly awesome sequel on one of my fav games...

This is, word for word, my feelings about the Batman games. I want to jump back in, but I worry Knight will be more City and less Asylum.

The GameSpot review stands out a bit, but those are great scores. It's a shame that I can't play the game until the Monday after jt comes out as I will be on vacation.

Also itsGWC coming through yet again, you should all subscribe to him.

Derp

post-35236-I-dont-get-it-gif-Jonah-Hill-I-wgZR.gif

Skii

I like Gamespot reviews as Kevin Van'Ord isn't scared to actually criticise massive franchises if the game isn't to the standards expected. Most other reviewers just buy into the hype and give at least 9/10 to games in a well known franchise rather than analysing the game itself.

I really liked Arkham Asylum, but City was just ok. I'd prefer if they kept with more closed areas other then going to the open-world route.

The review scores are good, but the gameplay videos don't feel so hot to me, and I'm not really hyped for this one.

Same. I really dug Arkham Asylum but I had a hard time getting into City. Guess now is the time.

Someone on reddit is saying IGN has spoiled who the Arkham Knight is. in a photo or something? i hope not. I avoid IGN so i dont know also dont want to be spoiled.

dick move if they have.

dex3108

Well if bad things from Gamespot reviews are true i think that game doesn't deserve those 10/10 reviews. Maybe 7/10 is a bit harsh (maybe it is not they are using full scale) but those are serious issues that can't exist in 10/10 game.

DrBo42

I have no problem adding all these foreign sites if people can vouch for the content. Never heard of half of them. If someone posts BioGamerGirl I'm out.

partyboy

serious question - did anyone in this thread actually doubt that the game would receive 9s across the board from most sites? That was as sure as anything in gaming. Not to say anything about the quality of the game, only that Rocksteady didn't really have to do a lot to guarantee a warm reception.

Top Bottom