• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight's Batgirl DLC is one hour long, does not sound very good

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, this is disappointing. The DLC is $6.99.

Eurogamer said:
£32.99 is a lot of money for a Season Pass. You know this, I know this, and Warner knows this, or at the very least, it does now after the initial announcement of its pricey post-launch DLC plan was met (rightfully) with much incredulity.

And as a first taste of what value we can expect from the Season Pass, the hour-long experience doesn't do much to help Warner's case.
Batgirl herself controls almost exactly like her mentor. She's essentially Batman on a budget - packing explosive gel, a line launcher, grappling hook, Batarangs and a remote hacking device. And that's about it, really. There are no upgrades, no new gadgets, and no unique vehicles or skills.

While the Harley Quinn pre-order Arkham Story didn't have any cutscenes, it at least had a unique look that played up to Harley's character; Batgirl's HUD is just the same as Batman's, only recoloured slightly. And Quinn's Psychosis Mode actually managed to cleverly integrate a little bit of backstory in along with the gameplay, by way of emphasised scrawlings like "God I'm so alone" marked out on walls in what amounted to her version of Detective Vision. Batgirl has no such luck. She has a dozen lines, tops, and most of those are spent worrying about her Dad or Batman, or exchanging awkward, cliched back-and-forths with a quietly lovesick Tim Drake.
Robin will show up a few times throughout the mission, having uncovered a bomb, and you'll have to race across the site, take down a handful of foes side-by-side and then stop the bomb from going off, all on a timer. But all told, your time with Babs will be up within an hour, culminating in a QTE-heavy boss fight between Batgirl, Robin, the Joker and Harley. The highlight of the entire experience, for me, was seeing Harley Quinn in her original Animated Series outfit. I would have switched teams if I could have.
It's not bad, exactly - it's functional and does exactly what it says on the tin; it just feels a wasted opportunity. There's no AR Challenge Map, for example, so the character model is confined to this one short story experience. The story is about as basic as they come - a shame given the strength of some of Arkham Knight's finer moments - and given how they've chosen to frame this version of Barbara Gordon as a two dimensional doting daughter and romantic interest for Robin, I can't help but think a story focusing on the Cassandra Cain incarnation of Batgirl would have been far, far more interesting. As it stands, Batgirl fans are likely to be the ones most disappointed by this offering.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-07-15-arkham-knight-batgirl-dlc

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All the character DLCs sound extremely disappointing. What the hell happened?

I can understand a pre-order bonus being pretty sparse, but at $10 each of the Dishonored DLC entries were 4-5 hours long or even a fair bit longer if you went for completionist, which had some nifty incentives and well designed puzzles.

I use that as an example since it's also an action adventure type game.

Corpekata

Banned
This season pass is sounding less and less like it is justifying its' 40 dollar price tag every time new info comes out about it.

I can understand a pre-order bonus being pretty sparse, but at $10 each of the Dishonored DLC entries were 4-5 hours long or even a fair bit longer if you went for completionist, which had some nifty incentives and well designed puzzles.

It always makes sense to me to compare the value of DLC to the actual game. If the game cost me $60, and the DLC is $10, then the DLC should provide me with content equal to at least a sixth of the full game.

The Witcher 3 looks to be one of the only current gen games I know of that lives up to this promise.

I don't even want to know how all the fighting games get away with what they pull.

Edit: Oh, you meant this was a pre-order bonus? Not up-to-date on all the Arkham Knight DLC. Just know I'll be avoiding the season pass after I haven't heard anything good about previous Arkham franchise DLC.

I feel sorry for the people who paid for it. Type of game where you wait for the GOTY edition.

Basically what I did with Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. The tradition will continue here with me, not because they are bad games but the value in content of the GOTY edition in sale is way too good in comparison to its vanilla release. Besides there are other games I'm playing on my PS4 at the moment anyway.

Ridley327

The Ark Origins team happened.

The Harley Quinn story DLC was Rocksteady, and that was terrible.

For reasons I can't understand, the Batman developers seem incapable of doing compelling one-shot DLC expansions, despite it being based on a property well known for one-shots.

GameSeeker

This is why it's smart to wait for the GOTY edition will all the DLC for $40 or less.

Good things come to those with patience.

Was thinking about getting this but now I dont think I will ): Hopefully the next story DLC offers more content. Shame, I was pretty excited about the Batgirl DLC.

Dryk

At a guess. Arkane had something to prove, Rocksteady (thinks it) doesn't.

The Fallout 3 and New Vegas DLC's were good, so was the Shivering Isle for Oblivion, although that was more like an expansion pack.

True, though even the most recent of those was half a decade ago. I'm increasingly jaded against DLC with all of the super bullshit tactics publishers are pulling lately. Plus the fact that none have really been truly great in this console generation.

Next video for Jim?

This could have been included perfectly in the game as a side mission, in fact it reminds me to the Ciri flashbacks, and those are already in the game and probably have more story to them than batgirl dlc lol

DLC just needs to die. I can't recall the last time I had a positive experience with any sort of DLC.

You havent played The Witcher 3? DLCs like this are being given fore free, and then theres 2 meaty expansions that you can buy in a season pass that doesnt even cost as much as the arkham knight one, or, like lots of people are doing, wait for their release and then buy them.

You havent played The Witcher 3? DLCs like this are being given fore free, and then theres 2 meaty expansions that you can buy in a season pass that doesnt even cost as much as the arkham knight one, or, like lots of people are doing, wait for their release and then buy them.

Haven't gotten that far in the Witcher 3 yet. I guess I should've said paid DLC should die. Maybe the Witcher's expansions will turn me around on it.

Nori Chan

I feel sorry for the people who paid for it. Type of game where you wait for the GOTY edition.

But the main game happens to be one of the best games I have ever played.

and if you wait for the goty you'l be disappointed in the dlc...so I don't understand what you mean

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
WB has quickly taken the lead for the title of "Shittiest Publisher of the Year."

Some of the things they've been in charge of so far this year has been absolutely astounding at the level of bullshit they've pushed out to consumers.

Wasn't the Revenge of Harley DLC at that price as well? And that one was terrible and short.

After the Origins Freeze DLC I was kinda hoping WB Montreal / Rocksteady would step up their shit, not scale it down.

Top Bottom