• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight's Batgirl DLC is one hour long, does not sound very good

MvmntInGrn's comment specifying 'driving, not tanking' is an example of that.

Sure. And you've seen people say they hate segments that involve any kind of finesse while driving. There's more complaints about tank gameplay, and there's also enough complaints about driving, or anything Batmobile-related, to make me surprised someone is asking for more Batmobile usage.

You've seen the posts from people saying they liked the Batmobile, but still thought it was used too much. How often do you see people asking for more segments?

Alienous

Sure. And you've seen people say they hate segments that involve any kind of finesse while driving. There's more complaints about tank gameplay, and there's also enough complaints about driving, or anything Batmobile-related, to make me surprised someone is asking for more Batmobile usage.

You've seen the posts from people saying they liked the Batmobile, but still thought it was used too much. How often do you see people asking for more segments?

Yeah, you know what, fair point.

Kinyou

Look the bright side guys, there's no Batmobile in this one
I'd pay $10 extra if the dlc had this

batgirl_cycle1y1pfg.jpg

CloudWolf

And to think that they charge 40 euro's for the season pass. Disgusting.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas both had really strong season passes.

I disagree. Aside from The Pitt Fallout 3's DLC is horrible. New Vegas DLC is the best ever, though. I love the way every DLC was it's own story, but every single one of them was in some way connected to the main story of New Vegas and the story of
the fifth courier, Ulysses

SlickVic

That's unfortunate, though it was probably pretty telling that WB of all publishers didn't think they had enough content in here to justify even selling it for $10. It's kind of sad knowing how interested people were in a playable Batgirl that they didn't end up doing more substantial content for this pack (especially as part of a $40 season pass), but it is what it is.

Also the fact that WB Montreal ditched support of the game after the final DLC was out, when then the game was still riddled with bugs didn't do them any favors

Did WB Montreal actively make that decision, or did WB Games have them drop Origins support to start a new project? If it's the latter, let's not blame the developer for the publishers shitty policies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Did WB Montreal actively make that decision, or did WB Games have them drop Origins support to start a new project? If it's the latter, let's not blame the developer for the publishers shitty policies.

But let's not pretend WB Montreal didn't know Origins' release date over a year in advance and still delivered a crappy product.

Anyway the Batgirl DLC isn't very good. Arkham series has a poor history of them combined with Monreal developing it, I didn't have high hopes to begin with. I'm just looking forward to challenge maps at this point.

This season pass is sounding less and less like it is justifying its' 40 dollar price tag every time new info comes out about it.
There's maybe a handful of games that had good season passes but the majority have been lacklustre and yet us consumers don't seem to get it and keep on spending so all of this is justified.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Funnily enough, given all the other bullshit, both Battlefield 3 and 4 are probably the only games I've felt truly satisfied with the culmination of content delivered by a "season pass".

An hour is a bit disappointing, but mostly due to the context. Given dialogue, tutorials, and the general structure of an Arkham game not a lot tends to happen in an hour. Especially true for encounter volume. That being said, diversity/quality > length, and I'll happily take short DLC if I feel the quality and density of content is up to a high standard. And this looks to falter at that too, with Batgirl (admittedly unsurprisingly) a carbon copy of Batman.

I just hope people project their disappointment appropriately, rather than call out WB Montreal for having made bad DLC that otherwise plays well and is decently designed. Seems like this fine in those regards, and probably plenty fun. But is also disappointingly short and lacking any individual identity due to the Batman/Batgirl interchangeable movesets.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I loved Origins but I still can't shake off the feeling that it was a copy paste of Arkham City. Outside of the story, which was the best in the entire series and the updated detective system, it felt that they didn't even try to innovate anywhere else. They lazily slapped together a generic map of Gotham, introduced two gadgets that ruined the challenge of the game and locked essential upgrades behind challenges that were only doable in story mode which made them extremely easy to miss. My main disappointment with it was that it had the potential to be the greatest game in the Arkham Series but ultimately failed because the developers were lazy

Also the fact that WB Montreal ditched support of the game after the final DLC was out, when then the game was still riddled with bugs didn't do them any favors
Origins was always meant to be a stopgap between Rocksteady's efforts. Which means it had a fraction of the development time and likely a lesser budget. The recycled map was regrettable, but considering everything that was working against Montreal, they blew away what anyone should have rightly expected. Origins had no business being anywhere near as good as it was, let alone being something that exceeded RS's efforts in a few respects.

Z3M0G

So challenge maps where you get to play as any character you want are now part of the paid DLCs?

Crimefighter Challenge Maps

Engage in a series of new challenge maps utilizing the unique play styles of Batman and his allies.

Files show playable Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Catwoman, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Red Hood, Azrael, and Joker. Joker specifically is referenced in “Million Dollar Mayhem”, where you “cause as much mayhem as possible within 5 minutes and send the bill to Wayne Enterprises.”

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...y-piece-of-batman-arkham-knight-dlc-revealed/

drotahorror

I can understand a pre-order bonus being pretty sparse, but at $10 each of the Dishonored DLC entries were 4-5 hours long or even a fair bit longer if you went for completionist, which had some nifty incentives and well designed puzzles.

I use that as an example since it's also an action adventure type game.

Dishonored DLC was basically an entirely new game. I wish devs would put as much effort into DLC as Arkane Studios does.

But let's not pretend WB Montreal didn't know Origins' release date over a year in advance and still delivered a crappy product.

Rocksteady knew that Arkham Knight's release date was 10/14/14 and they were granted a full eight month delay by WB. Clearly Origins could've benefited from a delay (though probably only a two month one at most to squash bugs), but Origins was declared good enough by WB to be released. It hardly seems fair to hold WB Montreal's feet to the fire for the game being released with bugs and their not being given the time to fix everything pre or post launch, especially considering it wasn't delayed. Moreover, Knight was delayed by eight months and still has issues at launch with online connectivity not working. Mine is still wonky as hell as far as comparing my in-game accomplishments to people on my Friends List.

The bottom line is that this impression that Rocksteady is a god tier developer and WB Montreal is a shit tier one are just ludicrous fallacies. Both are very capable teams that turned in some great experiences. Rocksteady gets a big nod just for coming up with the formula of the franchise and fulfilling our childhood fantasies of being the Batman. Their Batman games are great. All are marred by flaws but the positives far outweigh the negatives and I'd personally give them all scores in the 8s and 9s range.

I can easily say the same for WB Montreal. They were tasked with coming in and making a deep backstory for this popular franchise and they did an amazing job. Is Arkham Origins the GOAT? No, it's not. Neither are any of the other games in the franchise. But they are all wildly enjoyable games. I do think it's unfortunate that WB Montreal doesn't seem to get treated as well by WB in general, and some of the vitriol I have seen leveled against Origins online just reinforces my belief that there are people who have trouble accepting things that are different, but that's really neither here nor there.

MacBosse

I was under the impression that this should have been the "meatier" DLC of the ones included in the season pass, or am I wrong? Maybe it was just the wording in the reveal that made me think that.

As it stands now, the season pass ain't looking too hot.

SeppOCE

I feel sorry for the people who paid for it. Type of game where you wait for the GOTY edition.

First game I bought on G2A for 15 dollars because of how shitty they treated the PC release. After reading this thread I'm convinced I made a smart choice honestly. It was either this or the inevitable 7 dollar GOTY edition on steam.

GrazGamer

But let's not pretend WB Montreal didn't know Origins' release date over a year in advance and still delivered a crappy product

I must have played a different game because I experienced 1 progress bug with a riddler mission which was patched pretty quickly. I 100%'d this game and have replayed the campaign with no issues.

It's a much better PC port than any RS effort and, for me, was a fantastic game deservedly ranked alongside those games and is far from a crappy product.

Klyka

Banned
Origins was always meant to be a stopgap between Rocksteady's efforts. Which means it had a fraction of the development time and likely a lesser budget. The recycled map was regrettable, but considering everything that was working against Montreal, they blew away what anyone should have rightly expected. Origins had no business being anywhere near as good as it was, let alone being something that exceeded RS's efforts in a few respects.

I agree with this.
I am actually replaying Origins at the moment and I am again blown away by how well the game just works and how well the narrative is presented.

I must have played a different game because I experienced 1 progress bug with a riddler mission which was patched pretty quickly. I 100%'d this game and have replayed the campaign with no issues.

It's a much better PC port than any RS effort and, for me, was a fantastic game deservedly ranked alongside those games and is far from a crappy product.

I agree with this.
I am actually replaying Origins at the moment and I am again blown away by how well the game just works and how well the narrative is presented.

I agree 100% with you both. Origins just presented a more overall compelling game. I only encountered one bug in the game myself, and it didn't halt progress so much as it just made one of the encounters laughable as the enemies were half in the floor. As for the story, it's my favorite in the franchise so far, but I have yet to complete Knight so I don't want to make any final judgments until I've had the full experience. But if I were forced to order the games based solely on what I've experienced:

Origins > Knight > Asylum > City > Blackgate

Story is the biggest factor to me, as that is my compulsion to continue to play the games and 100% everything including the Riddler / Enigma stuff. Praise to both Rocksteady and WB Montreal in my book--and if WB were to do another Batman Arkham game, I'd welcome an interquel in the series done by WB Montreal. Especially if they were given time and budget to make the game fully shine

Top Bottom