• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight's Batgirl DLC is one hour long, does not sound very good

Marc

People shit on wb Montreal, when I think Arkham origins was better than knight personally.

By absolute miles.

Was the best of the entire series of games IMO, although obviously Rocksteady did most of the hard work with the engine. Story, pacing, design, acting (minus Hammill), enemy progression etc. were all amazing.

DLC is not a shock, its been going this way a while now.

Plasma

Banned
Really wish instead of making lots of small DLC they'd just make one large expansion pack like old PC games, at this point they're charging about that price for the season pass.

at least it was a batman game
What other games has WB Montreal made anyway, now that you mention it? Were they really bad?

Pretty much.

Rocksteady made Harley Quinn more interesting in 15 minutes than WB Montreal did Batgirl in an hour.
Haven't played the new DLC, but I'm assuming that at least Barbara's voice isn't intollerable. Big step up there alone.

jrcbandit

I mean, if you want to base your playing time around the best value for utterly mediocre DLC, sure.
Exactly, Never understood this mentality. Put off experiencing a great game for mediocre at best DLC that's often a complete waste of time. Character skins, mediocre gear that you quickly replace, 10 minute pre-order missions, etc offer little value so who cares if you miss out on them, I'd rather be enjoying the game when it's brand new and reduce the chances of being spoiled.

Marc

Pretty much.

Rocksteady made Harley Quinn more interesting in 15 minutes than WB Montreal did Batgirl in an hour.

Because Harley Quinn is fundamentally more interesting...

Haven't played the DLC but no one is dressing up as batgirl, no one cares.

What the fuck. Same moveset as Batman? It's starting to seem like City is the only game with decent extra characters in the entire series.

Blues1990

The main problem that I had with the Arkham Knight DLC packs, is that a whole lot of nothing happens in the narrative. Nothing leaves an impressionable impact in these self-contained stories, & they don't do anything new or put a new spin on the characters.

B4s5C

True, though even the most recent of those was half a decade ago. I'm increasingly jaded against DLC with all of the super bullshit tactics publishers are pulling lately. Plus the fact that none have really been truly great in this console generation.

Mario Kart 8 had excellent DLC. And I feel BF4 Premium is excellent as well (albeit I started playing the game after all the updates had came out.)

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Mario Kart 8 had excellent DLC. And I feel BF4 Premium is excellent as well (albeit I started playing the game after all the updates had came out.)

I'd point out that at the base level MK 8 was a pretty good game. DLC just added on top of that

foxdvd

Once upon a time I spent 9.99 on some dlc called Minerva's Den...that lasted about 5 hours and was actually better than the main game it came out for. Of course, that is a few bucks more so that must be why you get so much less with Batgirl...

The Ark Origins team happened.

Because Rocksteady's Harley Quinn's Revenge was an epic masterpiece with over 5 hours of content and rich character development.

Oh, wait, it was less than an hour long and offered almost nothing in the way of story or character development.

Rocksteady's track record with DLC is not exactly awe-inspiring, especially when forced to stand next to WB Montreal's Cold, Cold Heart. It's not too surprising that A Matter Of Family is less of an experience since it was content WB Montreal created for someone else's game.

I'll never understand the hate for that game.

I am with you 100%.As far as the last gen Arkham games go, Origins was head and shoulders above Asylum and City in its character design, levels, story, and music, while the combat actually gave me more direct control over which thug's face I was smashing. There seems to be this unexplainable bias that no one shoult touch Batman outside of Rocksteady. While Rocksteady has made some great and enjoyable games, I think this attitude that no one else is worthy is rather silly. Especially considering Rocksteady lifted Origins mechanics for Knight--there is actual detective work involved now.

There's no precedent for that happening in the 75 years of Batman lore, so it probably will in Arkham Knight at some point.

Activate Knight fall in love.

attitude that no one else is worthy is rather silly. Especially considering Rocksteady lifted Origins mechanics for Knight--there is actual detective work involved now.

There's no real way to know that since AK was in development for a year before AO was released.

Activate Knight fall in love.

There's no real way to know that since AK was in development for a year before AO was released.

Origins released a full 20 months before Knight. I find it painfully hard to believe that a game that shipped 16 months ago, which means it was in development for much longer, lifted a system from a game that was still in the building stages.

I wish the batgirl dlc felt like it was based before asylum, her suit design and gadgets make it feel like it happened last week, they could have designed it a little better.

Use the city robin design
Make batgirl's suit more retro looking, or at least match the greys and bolts from asylums batsuit.
give her the classic sound based sequencer instead of the password generator one.

those three things alone would have done a lot.

lol some of the comments. Arhkam Origins was a good game. It doesn't matter who made it. Rocksteady isn't some god tier developer. The loyalty is baffling. Guess what? Halo 4 campaign was more enjoyable than Halo 3 but since 343 made I guess that's blasphemy.

Origins released a full 16 months before Knight. I find it painfully hard to believe that a game that shipped 16 months ago, which means it was in development for much longer, lifted a system from a game that was still in the building stages.

I'm just saying that there is no way to say they did or not. We do know how much AO "lifted" from Rocksteady's work though.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
If only Sucker Punch could have handled the DLC. Their DLC for both inFAMOUS 2, and inFAMOUS: Second Son was fantastic. Of course, they're owned by Sony, but still, they do a great job of creating DLC that makes you feel like you got your money's worth, and also just being fun and enjoyable (I actually enjoyed playing as Fetch more than Delsin).

I'm just saying that there is no way to say they did or not. We do know how much AO "lifted" from Rocksteady's work though.

My math was off, it's actually 20 months between the release of Origins and Knight.

Regardless though, to be fair to both studios, the relationship seems symbiotic. WB Montreal took the formula Rocksteady started in Asylum and moved to open workl with City, and then refined it for Origins which was a much tighter experience, although I'll concede the popular opinion that the "Overworld" in City is superior, the "dungeons" in Origins are far better, IMO. New gameplay mechanics were introduced by WB Montreal--some carried over to Knight (Detective Work), some did not (Dark Knight System). Rocksteady has all gone to great lengths to fully implement the story of Origins into Knight, not treating it as just some outlying game. There are references to Origins in many places and it makes the entire franchise rather cohesive.

As for DLC, WB Montreal stands head and shoulders over Rocksteady so far--even if we count A Matter Of Family as an outright misstep, Cold, Cold Heart still trounces Harley Quinn's Revenge decisively. WB has stated that all the rest of the story DLCs will be from Rocksteady, so let's see if Rocksteady takes a page out of the CCH playbook or not as their content comes out in the coming months.

It's painfully average. Heavy reliance on the Remote Hacking Device just to drill home that Barbara knows her stuff tech-wise. It's pretty much point-and-click apart from the usual decryption sequences. Couple of new moves during combat, but she can't grapnel boost so that takes a bit of getting used to if you played like I did in AK.

All in all, don't waste your time. I loved the main game but this wasn't worth releasing. Still looking forward to the Season of Infamy stuff if the leaked villains list was accurate.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
lol some of the comments. Arhkam Origins was a good game. It doesn't matter who made it. Rocksteady isn't some god tier developer. The loyalty is baffling. Guess what? Halo 4 campaign was more enjoyable than Halo 3 but since 343 made I guess that's blasphemy.

I'd say Rocksteady are a pretty fucking top-drawer console developer.

It's painfully average. Heavy reliance on the Remote Hacking Device just to drill home that Barbara knows her stuff tech-wise. It's pretty much point-and-click apart from the usual decryption sequences. Couple of new moves during combat, but she can't grapnel boost so that takes a bit of getting used to if you played like I did in AK.

All in all, don't waste your time. I loved the main game but this wasn't worth releasing. Still looking forward to the Season of Infamy stuff if the leaked villains list was accurate.
Do you have a list? I saw the costumes but not the villains.

Messi

Which one?

du2dc0cjd0kbjaiberdb.jpg

Fury451

Banned
Only dlc worth a damn is Nintendo's

Hardly. Bethesda, Battlefield Premium, Bioshock 2/Infinite, TLOU, Rockstar, Call of Duty AW has been delivering value for the first time in the series too IMO.

There's others.

WB Montreal did all the Batgirl stuff.

If they are working on a Suicide Squad game, I am interested how it will turn out without Rocksteady laying a majority of the ground work for them.

That's even more surprising then. I enjoyed the story of Origins mostly, and thought the Freeze DLC was pretty good.

Still, Rocksteady phoned it in with the other content for preorder and such. I was expecting the Harley and Hood stuff to be like Catwoman at least. Harley especially considering they been plugging that since they announced the game.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Blame WB Montreal. It's been proven multiple times that they are only capable of recycling Rocksteady's work and can't do anything unique on their own.

I enjoyed the DLC because it had some great level design and plenty of combat and predator scenarios but I can see where all the complaints are coming from

Thankfully their involvement with Arkham Knight ends with the Batgirl DLC so there's still a chance that Rocksteady will turn the tide

Goose_7

Banned
I got the season pass and still haven't fired up this new Bagirl DLC. Initially I was excited for the DLC since I loved the main game.

When WB announced that the Batgirl DLC was coming out first and WB Montreal were the ones behind it, I was ok with it. I imagined a meaty 3-4 hour mini campaign with the B team taking over the helm, meaning Rocksteady would undoubtedly outdo them with some other great DLC down the line.

With news that the next DLC is only skins and some new Batman 1989 inspired tracks for the Batmobile I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed by the purchase of this season pass.

But I don't blame WB, it's entirely my fault. Should I had waited to see what exactly they were going to release in the season pass and not bought it outright, I wouldn't disappointed myself.

Blame WB Montreal. It's been proven multiple times that they are only capable of recycling Rocksteady's work and can't do anything unique on their own.

I enjoyed the DLC because it had some great level design and plenty of combat and predator scenarios but I can see where all the complaints are coming from

Thankfully their involvement with Arkham Knight ends with the Batgirl DLC so there's still a chance that Rocksteady will turn the tide

I really don't get the hate for Arkham Origins, I think WB Montreal gets a lot of flak for making a respectable Batman game when not compared to Rocksteady's Batman offerings, as a standalone game it stands up with the best of them I think. My favorite story out of all the Arkham games not including AK

Top Bottom