• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight's Batgirl DLC is one hour long, does not sound very good

Aren't there people in the other threads saying they spent 3 hours or so on this?

I feel like it's a common trend where we get these players who absolutely speed through games and then whine about the length.
I mentioned it took me 3 hours in the OT and earlier in this thread. I play Batman games on Hard and take my time to admire the details (and look for easter eggs), so it takes me longer.

And yeah, some people can't seem to shake the urge to follow that waypoint marker in games.

Are people really surprised? This deal smelled rotten far away when they announced it. That expensive season pass can only mean there's not much to offer and they need to get all money ASAP because no one is buying the standalone DLCs when they hear the truth.

When do people learn? Do not pre-order if you're not sure about the game. Especially don't pre-order DLCs, 90% of them are crap. Ok?

Insert any character in place of Batman then. Who would be satisfactory for her to fight with? Say she trained with Wildcat, or Black Canary, or something. Had the developers making this DLC had the time, had the resources and/or put in the effort, Batgirl would've played in a unique way, regardless of the story or even the version of Batgirl they chose. Considering this probably had little time/resources allotted for development, it was going to be like this no matter what.

I understand some people would prefer certain versions or iterations of a character, but to say "it would've been good had it been _______," doesn't make sense.

Exactly.

I'm hoping that the future character DLC Rocksteady are the ones that actually work on it. Cause lets look at the game tape...

Rocksteady

- Catwoman totally different abilities and gadgets.
- Robin ditto
- Nightwing ditto
- Red Hood ditto
- Harley ditto

WB Montreal

- Batman (Origins) Tether gun and shockgloves, both OP. The rest is Rocksteady's work.
- Deathstroke is Robin v 1.5
- Batgirl is Batman v .5

Don't get me wrong though....I still like Origins (for the story)

Fury451

Banned
What happened? Rocksteady delivered playable characters in the City that had their own unique gear, challenge predator maps tailored to their moves, and animations/combat styles. None of the ones from City or Joker in Asylum were copy/paste at all.

This is really disappointing. Was expecting a lot more of them from this, Red Hood, and Harley.

Doran902

MK8 and Hyrule warriors was excellent.

Yeah the MK8 DLC is like, the best quality for price in recent DLC's I have purchased. AK seems like a they are throwing tons of quick and dirty things into a package and calling it a season pass. Feels really disjointed. My fanboyism is going to make me buy it though.

What happened? Rocksteady delivered playable characters in the City that had their own unique gear, challenge predator maps tailored to their moves, and animations/combat styles. None of the ones from City or Joker in Asylum were copy/paste at all.

This is really disappointing. Was expecting a lot more of them from this, Red Hood, and Harley.

WB Montreal did all the Batgirl stuff.

If they are working on a Suicide Squad game, I am interested how it will turn out without Rocksteady laying a majority of the ground work for them.

Vibrant

Banned
As for this season pass, Warner start sorting your shit out. Can't keep continuing like this.
Why wouldn't they? It would make no sense whatsoever to stop doing this if they are making millions. People gobble this kind of stuff up EVERY time (see early posts) so they have no reason to stop.

Alienous

I very curious to see Harley's original costume in the arkham art style. Any pics of it?

hq-2.png

Banned
This game is just one hot mess and I haven't even played it yet. PC version owner here with season pass :(

Sanke__

By far the best $6 DLC ever

$6 for 1 hour is 10 hours for $60
Seems normal to me

The story and environment are fucking fantastic especially the backstory of the environment

Wait, wtf is the writer of the article talking about when she says QTE-heavy boss fight?
There was a single QTE when I played it, and it was at the very end of the fight. I'm starting to think she played on Easy, which would explain why it clocked in at only an hour for her. But alas, the damage is already done and people are taking her word as gospel.

Garibaldi

Here is a original thought. How about we actually wait until all the content of the season pass is available and reviewed before we judge it's entire value based on one piece of the puzzle?

Feel free to slate it's individual price of course. I wouldn't want to take that away from you.

The Harley DLC was fun because of the changes it had in Harley's abilities, even if it was pretty short. Red Hood looks completely worthless based off of a playthrough. Batgirl DLC automatically bad because it continues the stupid Tim/Babs relationship that doesn't make any sense at all. It's Dick/Babs, dammit.

Megatron

I feel sorry for the people who paid for it. Type of game where you wait for the GOTY edition.

I paid $38 for it at best buy, and am going to trade it into gamestop this week for $58. by all means, feel sorry for me and my free $20.

The Harley DLC was fun because of the changes it had in Harley's abilities, even if it was pretty short. Red Hood looks completely worthless based off of a playthrough. Batgirl DLC automatically bad because it continues the stupid Tim/Babs relationship that doesn't make any sense at all. It's Dick/Babs, dammit.

Why can't they have different relationships in different universes? I mean, there's a bunch of stuff in the Arkham series that is different than the comic universe.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The fact that the headline gave it all away is brutal. I was planning on starting it soon. It didn't work for a while yesterday.

I bet they're staring at their watches right this instant, just waiting for those 6 months to be over with.

It took me about 1 and a half hours, but I died a few times.

Overall, though, I was pretty underwhelmed and gave it a middling review. It's nothing special whatsoever, which is too bad because it had promise.

RK128

I expected the DLC offerings for Arkham Knight to be disappointing :(; they were with Arkham City and they are here.

Its a shame that they didn't do enough to make the Batgirl DLC special but considering this is just a simple 'after-thought' from WB Montreal while they work on other projects, at least it offers more content in comparison to the 'story modes' with Harley and Red Hood's DLC.

I don't own a PS4, so I cannot play this or the core game yet, but I just hope anyone who got the season pass doesn't feel cheated :(.

I guess the remaining DLC for Arkham Knight is the Challenge Rooms that they cu...I mean, worked on for the DLC, so hopefully those come soon and they support the large cast of characters that have been playable in the series (Batman, Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, Red Hood, Azazel, Joker, Harley).

my short sweet review of batgirl DLC

spoiler free

https://twitter.com/mgs2master2/status/621225981823447040

a picture too if you dont wanna click

mCU8LRJ.png

My actual thoughts
+ good story
+ good VA work
+ looks beautiful
+ feels like a throw back to arkham asylum
- has a bunch of bugs (or jankyness) as I call it. You can tell immediately as playing a different team made it ( in this case the arkham oranges team)
- length is 1 hour story wise; 1 1/2 for 100% completion
- the so called "Easter eggs" for fans aren't really worth the time and hype to achieve (in my opinion)

For its price point I say it's worth it though though.

Well i love the main game i felt that was worth the money;

now when i bought it i traded in a load of games which i thought would cover the game, which in fact covered enough for the game and all but £10 of the season pass, or so i was told, so considering at the time i was only paying £10 for the game and all DLC in seemed a good deal (and still is)

but news of what the DLC is so far is just awful and is making me think i'd have been far better using the spare credit on something else
The Harley and Red Hood pre-order dlc seemed good for PRe-order DLC (although they should just have been available to al), but this? an hour dlc thats basically a re-skinned batman,such a missed opportunity

Neff

Aren't there people in the other threads saying they spent 3 hours or so on this?

I feel like it's a common trend where we get these players who absolutely speed through games and then whine about the length.

The beginning to end of the DLC -ie the mandatory stuff- is about an hour. After you beat it, you can wander the rig finding collectibles you missed or finish solving puzzles to uncover the (rather grim) backstory. So yes, if you milk the DLC for all it's worth and don't rush it, it could potentially give you about 3 hours of play.

Garlador

Why can't they have different relationships in different universes? I mean, there's a bunch of stuff in the Arkham series that is different than the comic universe.

It's just a tad off... Like if you found out Poison Ivy was dating Jim Gordon or that Catwoman and Nightwing were the OTC of the Akrham-verse. There's just zero precedent for it, whereas everything else about it is CHOKING on Batman nostalgia.

... I mean, she even has a Flying Grayson's reference in her necklace.
2d0cff47f40f90f47c40b6271df1126b.jpg

It's always been Babs and Dick, for decades upon decades. They're more official at this point that Bruce and Selina ever were.

... It's okay for a Tim/Babs thing, I guess, but it is also still.... WEIRD.

Future

The no challenge maps thing surprises me the most. I bought the Arkham city dlc, and while the story missions weren't all that either, I enjoyed taking each additional character and playing all the challenge maps with them. Easy additional value.

Having playable Harley and batgirl segregated to their own tiny story mode seems like a waste

Z3M0G

Every time something like this happens with Season Pass DLC, I hope it is the game that finally breaks the camel's back for Season Passes as a whole...

NEVER pay for a Season Pass at / prior to release. Wait until at least 2 or 3 major pieces of DLC come to make sure the entire season of content will be worth the $$.

With this news, I'll definitely not buy this game until the "Game of the Year" edition or whatever is released. I was in no rush to play it anyways... I still need to play the previous two games. GOTY Edition of this will be in the bargain bin by the time I get to it...

Wait, wtf is the writer of the article talking about when she says QTE-heavy boss fight?
There was a single QTE when I played it, and it was at the very end of the fight. I'm starting to think she played on Easy, which would explain why it clocked in at only an hour for her. But alas, the damage is already done and people are taking her word as gospel.

I did a lot of dual takedowns on the two bosses, which resulted in QTEs every time.

Alienous

It's just a tad off... Like if you found out Poison Ivy was dating Jim Gordon or that Catwoman and Nightwing were the OTC of the Akrham-verse. There's just zero precedent for it, whereas everything else about it is CHOKING on Batman nostalgia.

... I mean, she even has a Flying Grayson's reference in her necklace.
2d0cff47f40f90f47c40b6271df1126b.jpg

It's always been Babs and Dick, for decades upon decades. They're more official at this point that Bruce and Selina ever were.

... It's okay for a Tim/Babs thing, I guess, but it is also still.... WEIRD.

I just don't understand why.

I just don't understand.

BBboy20

The Harley Quinn story DLC was Rocksteady, and that was terrible.

For reasons I can't understand, the Batman developers seem incapable of doing compelling one-shot DLC expansions, despite it being based on a property well known for one-shots.
When Arkham City was revealed to be open-world, the possibilities became endless. Now, it seems like nobody knows how to make further use of their sandboxes.

It even uses the same old map from Arkham City except with no waypoint ability. The whole thing felt very half baked and the environment was quite dull looking compared with Gotham.

it makes sense at that location because it takes place at joker's amusement park which was in city. (also we know the AO team pretty much copy and pasted from AC to AO)

Vibrant

Banned
NEVER pay for a Season Pass at / prior to release. Wait until at least 2 or 3 major pieces of DLC come to make sure the entire season of content will be worth the $$.
Stop. You're making waaaaay too much sense for some of these people.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
All the character DLCs sound extremely disappointing. What the hell happened?

They paywalled shit that would have been free 2 generations ago. Thats what most DLC is, and why people think its a rip off. Ideally give me a 5-6 hour Batgirl game, but a 3 hour campaign would work, so I can at least justify the expense.

Top Bottom