• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Garegga Rev.2016 announced by Famitsu, "M2 ShotTriggers" release

yyr

You can also use paypal for it, iirc.

I haven't heard of anyone successfully linking an out-of-region PayPal account for some time now. I think if it ever worked, it was probably a temporary hole at best.

Getting PSN credit from Play-Asia or other online retailers is really easy though, so this isn't really a big barrier to entry.

I haven't heard of anyone successfully linking an out-of-region PayPal account for some time now. I think if it ever worked, it was probably a temporary hole at best.

Getting PSN credit from Play-Asia or other online retailers is really easy though, so this isn't really a big barrier to entry.

That would explain why. I know it was a common thing to do once paypal was added as a payment option and it made some sense that just linking an account would work.

I bought the Saturn port of Garegga for only $54 on eBay before prices skyrocketed, that was a great port and this one will be incredible thanks to M2. I hope they port the rest of Raizing/8ing's shmup library, hopefully Batrider and Bakraid aren't far behind.

Edit: Anyone know who did the Saturn port?

love the soundtrack and the look, but not a fan of games that intentionally get so hard the best strat is to kill yourself to drop rank

I hope they emulate the saturn version's lower input lag rather than trying to be arcade accurate.

I pretty much just want the Saturn port. Anything they add is gravy. The Saturn port had so many ways to customize how the game worked and looked that basically let you combine different aspects of the different boards and regions (bullet style, bullet size, extend thresholds, etc) and I really hope they let you do that here.

If not, well, I'll take my tiny bullet-sized bullets and play it anyway!

Awesome news!

Does this give any hint as to where Raizing's catalog is tied up legally? AFAIK this has been a huge question mark for a long time but somehow M2 is making it happen, or someone got a hold of them to do it, but I suspect more the former.

ACESmkII

Already have the Saturn port but will gladly double dip.

Hopefully this STG series is a huge success for M2.

Justinh

I love it when expensive as all hell games are rereleased so people can play them who won't pay the extreme prices for a secondhand copy.

Stoked it happened for Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, and Ikaruga (although, I'm pretty sure those aren't anywhere near Battle Garegga level).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Honestly, kind of unbelievable that this is happening, and for M2 to be doing it. That's awesome. I mean, I'll hang onto my Saturn copy, but there's no way I won't buy this. I really hope that this and Dangun Feveron get a physical release -- they absolutely deserve it.

haven't played it in years. owned the saturn version twice at some point.

will get both games ofc. thank you M2.

Lol, I think I bought one of those copies you had like 7 years ago.

SOME-MIST

So what's the deal with "Rev.2016"? Arrange mode?

I'm assuming its the visual feedback in form of item counter and rank graphs. those have never been previously available and both will be extremely useful. item counter which will help with option formations and rank graph for overall rank control.

I've read that both the Saturn speed and arcade 'wait' options will be available, but I'm hoping for the arrange soundtrack too.

day 1 buy for me

SOME-MIST

There's a blog dedicated to Garegga's innermost workings somewhere, could someone link it, please? Thanks.
if you're referring to the KevinDDR page it's battlegareg.ga

edit: damn.. no longer available. since he has inside news I'm assuming he was asked to take it down

if you're referring to the KevinDDR page it's battlegareg.ga

edit: damn.. no longer available. since he has inside news I'm assuming he was asked to take it down

I think the domain hosting ran out, he mentions it on the shmups board. Think he's trying to resolve it with the provider though.

STG!

Does this give any hint as to where Raizing's catalog is tied up legally? AFAIK this has been a huge question mark for a long time but somehow M2 is making it happen, or someone got a hold of them to do it, but I suspect more the former.

Isn't it all owned by Eighting nowadays? Never recall hearing this to be an issue, unless it was a game of theirs published by another company like Dimahoo.

magnetic

Battle Garegga is incredible. It looks kinda dull and subdued compared to its peers, but the atmosphere and mechanical depth is incredible.

Bombing flamingoes for score and suiciding to get more bombs and keep the difficulty in check... Very unique game.

I also hope Cave ports Ibara again at some point!

Coda

Battle Garegga is incredible. It looks kinda dull and subdued compared to its peers, but the atmosphere and mechanical depth is incredible.

Bombing flamingoes for score and suiciding to get more bombs and keep the difficulty in check... Very unique game.

I also hope Cave ports Ibara again at some point!

I always kind of was turned off by the blandness of the visuals in Battle Garegga, I prefer the vibrant colors of most Cave shmups and I find Ibara to just be a much more exciting game overall.

Neff

why not? it's by far one of the most refined games in the genre even if on purpose or by mistake. the holy YGW trilogy is amazing..

Personally, I have a problem with shmups featuring enemy projectiles which are hard to see. I have a big problem with shmups featuring enemy projectiles which are hard to see in a game as tough as BG. I like my alien bullets bright, colourful and (sometimes literally) flashy.

I realise realistic-looking, grey/brown missiles against grey/brown backgrounds, which can easily be confused with exploding enemy shrapnel, is probably a big part of the appeal for hardcore BG players, but it's not for me.

The music's rad though, I'll give it that.

Personally, I have a problem with shmups featuring enemy projectiles which are hard to see. I have a big problem with shmups featuring enemy projectiles which are hard to see in a game as tough as BG. I like my alien bullets bright, colourful and (sometimes literally) flashy.

I realise realistic-looking, grey/brown missiles against grey/brown backgrounds, which can easily be confused with exploding enemy shrapnel, is probably a big part of the appeal for hardcore BG players, but it's not for me.

You can do that with some revisions of BG, actually. This is one of the reasons I like the Saturn port, since you can have bullets highlighted or outright be glowing bullets like cave instead.

Definitely agree. I still enjoy what I've played of Garegga and Batrider but the bullets blending in to the environments (or going underneath overhangs so you can't see them) are brutal haha

It's hard enough to dodge them when you can see them

SOME-MIST

saturn port has the ability to turn the bullets into red balls instead of bullets that blend in with the projectiles.

it isn't really about the graphics or how the bullets blend in that make the game a blast (though the atmosphere of the game is top notch), it's the gameplay and scoring mechanics. the whole jist is to medal chain (and other scoring tricks) to score enough points so you can achieve 1million point extends. And in order to continue scoring, you need to kill yourself to reduce the rank which would otherwise get out of hand/borderline impossible to clear. so you basically score high enough to get extends to kill yourself so that you can continue to score/collect items. it has this insane equilibrium that very dear to yagawa games and it's capitalized in battle garegga.

kamui's special demonstration replay(s) by icarus are top notch examples of how the system is put to use (and she's absolutely godlike at it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VisS7_ROmYw

microfolk

I refuse to live in a world where Stage 5 is considered dull looking.

I understand where this criticism comes from, but I also think that Garegga's colour palette and aesthetic choices are 10000% on point and contributes to the game so much. The bullets aren't really a problem after the first hours, but they could be more visible, yeah

Isn't it all owned by Eighting nowadays? Never recall hearing this to be an issue, unless it was a game of theirs published by another company like Dimahoo.

It looks like they have been way more active recently than I had thought. I think I was mixing a bit of Toaplan and having no ports from this era for so long, I had forgot they are still kicking around. Good on 'em.

Garegga is my favorite shooter ever, I think. I went and watched a bit an Icarus/Kamui video and now I'm jonesing for a Japanese cab setup and a copy of it (or just to have a nice Saturn setup again)

magnetic

Yep, I bought it.

Anyway, I totally forgot that this kinda maybe opens the door for stuff like Batrider and Bakraid. Which would be amazing to finally get.

Man, Batrider is still my favorite shooter of all time. So many ships, secrets, intricate bosses...

IrishNinja

damn, really incredible news here! it'd be so great if it drove the saturn one's price down too, but honestly, a physical for PS4 would have me so hyped

AND by M2, the emulation masters? Has God finally decided to bestow his Grace upon his sinful sheep?

seriously, M2 are some of the best out there

In a world with Leynos and Wild Guns coming to PS4 retail/physical in North America, I feel like a physical release for this wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility but who knows.

Tain

In a world with Leynos and Wild Guns coming to PS4 retail/physical in North America, I feel like a physical release for this wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility but who knows.

wait Wild Guns physical? In NA? I missed this, any place to preorder?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Awesome news!

I don't think there was anything keeping them from re-releasing their games before (except for maybe Dimahoo), they just didn't care to do it, our couldn't find the time/justify the expense.

Edit: Anyone know who did the Saturn port?

They did it themselves, as far as I know.

Top Bottom