• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Garegga Rev.2016 announced by Famitsu, "M2 ShotTriggers" release

What unholy rituals do I need to perform to guarantee this gets a Steam release? I can't get a PS4 anytime soon.

Also, off-topic re: that Videogamesplus site, I really love their banner on the Vita page.

category_psvita_aug7update_final.jpg

It's like, "Yeah, it's the Vita, people...you know very well what sorts of games are on this thing."

Bah. I'd rather M2 focuses on getting these ports right on one system. PC seems like the antithesis of what M2 does.

You're not wrong, but, selfishly, I want to be able to play it. I'll hold off on my unholy rituals for now, but I can't make any promises if M2 starts working on a bunch of Saturn games, I've got my blood magicks ready to go.

Danchi

Very excited about this. I've been eyeing the Saturn version at a local store for the last month, but I just couldn't justify the asking price.

Stolen from the shmups forum. Looks like there will be a physical release.

It sounds like there will be a physical release too, according to Famitsu:
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201609/08115053.html

"限定版パッケージ『バトルガレッガ Rev.2016 Premium Edition』(サントラCD、限定ブックレット、クリアファイル5種類同梱)は発売日未定、価格未定"

Titled "Battle Garegga Rev.2016 Premium Edition", includes a soundtrack CD, a booklet and some clear files. No release date yet.

ghibli99

Awesome news. And physical versions? Nice! My shooter skills have diminished over the years, but I still love playing 'em.

I imagine there's next to no chance of a physical western release, but digital may happen

Will definitely import the physical version

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, real talk. This is the actual reason Sony had to release the PS4 Pro, isn't it?

Garegga just goes that goddamn hard.

duckroll

The most interesting thing about this release is that it looks like M2 is publishing this themselves. Instead of being hired by a publisher to port something, they have managed to secure two titles from different developers to port and publish themselves in a collection. Since M2 ShotTriggers is a new branding they're using, it also suggests they have more titles planned. I wonder if this is a hint that they're trying to cultivate a proper shmup userbase on the PS4 before they finally announce the brand new shmup they've been developing with Iuchi at the helm...

@MUWANdo

Banned
They do have other licenses in their pocket--some we know about, like Aleste, and others have not been revealed--but M2 has announced plans for older licenses in the past that haven't amounted to anything so they tend to play their cards close to their chest nowadays.

I wonder if this is a hint that they're trying to cultivate a proper shmup userbase on the PS4 before they finally announce the brand new shmup they've been developing with Iuchi at the helm...

I'm sure that's part of it but the primary motivator is that the people there really love shmups and know that a lot of them won't ever be re-released unless they do all the work themselves.

@MUWANdo

Banned
There's an interview with the president of M2 in Famitsu, here are some snippets:

-the core work of bring each game to PS4 is pretty much done; they're now at the stage of determining what else can be added or fixed for each package

-they're focusing on additions that make it easy for people to get better; replay sharing, practice settings, saves, etc

-Garegga's music is being reworked with higher-quality PCM by the original composer

-the games will be priced higher than the standard retro re-release ("thousands of yen, not hundreds"); the president wants to prove to licensors that fans are willing to pay for high-quality re-releases and that there's an audience for obscure games like these

-M2 ShotTriggers is not limited to arcade games; console games and even doujin/indie games are open to consideration

-there's a teaser for the next game: "a title that fans of this project will be anticipating". Whatever could it be?

I'm getting physical copies of Assault Suit Leynos, Wild Guns and now Battle Garegga in the year 2016. I don't know what's happening, but I like it.

I sincerely thought hell had frozen over when the Guardian Heroes remake was announced for 360 a few years ago. But this year is another kind of crazy.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Batrider feels more likely to me than Bakraid, due to it being something a little different. Or maybe it's wishful thinking.

-there's a teaser for the next game: "a title that fans of this project will be anticipating". Whatever could it be?

Oh lord, could this finally mean the Batrider, Bakraid or ESP Ra.De. port we've been waiting for?

Teknoman

Honestly i'd want a Thunder Force VII ala Gradius V, Einhander, or Darius Burst. As in a shooter designed for the current gen strengths (so to speak) at the time.

Dremark

Banned
Oh lord, could this finally mean the Batrider, Bakraid or ESP Ra.De. port we've been waiting for?

I don't know what's next but I'm pretty sure it's going to be something I'm happy with. Personally I'm hoping for more arcade stuff which has no home version.

duckroll

Speaking of M2, I wonder what's up with Ubusuna. It's been 2+ years since it was announced.

It was never actually announced though. Iuchi mentioned he was working on it on his personal blog. It's certainly coming, but there's really no indication when the project would have actually had M2 resources poured into developing it, as opposed to Iuchi himself doing prototyping alone to find a satisfactory foundation for the game. Good shmups are hard!

I'm not sure if I'll get this. M2 ports have been fantastic, but from my short experience with it on MAME and Pink Sweets on 360 I've found it too hard and complected to really enjoy. If it has an arrange mode for babies I'll get it for sure though.

Top Bottom