• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Garegga Rev.2016 announced by Famitsu, "M2 ShotTriggers" release

I still can play Saturn games, which are 20 years old
I really doubt i will be able to play digital ps3 games in 2026....

80 bucks and don't have money for printing a disc? lol

Occam

There is no justification to sell a physical PS4 edition and not include a disc. Limited Run Games and others have shown that Sony allows tiny print runs. A physical edition with a download code instead of a disc is a big middle finger to us: No physical ownership = non transferable yet costs the same as a disc-based limited edition, doesn't protect the environment because it still needs to be manufactured and distributed.
It's bullshit and should not be supported. Giving a company money for this is doing a disservice to all gamers; it's like buying horse armor.

Luckily I already have a physical copy of Battle Garegga for Sega Saturn in my collection. (18 years old and still in perfect condition.)

Tain

I'll be buying this digitally day one because I want to play this game, I'm confident in the port and all it entails, and maybe just maybe my purchase will do a tiny bit toward encouraging future quality ports from M2. I'd prefer a physical version, but ultimately I want what they're selling me more than I want $40.

I'd linked the video in thread previously, but the talk about adapting the framerate was beyond my Japanese comprehension. How much did they describe what they did to match the original game speed? Just about every other home port they just lets the game run slightly faster...

Oops, sorry I missed it. I can't make out the details either, sadly.

Limited Run Games and others have shown that Sony allows tiny print runs.

How tiny are those runs? The physical release here is actually going to be made to order, so it could end up even smaller than a LRG run and perhaps too small for Sony still.

@MUWANdo

Banned
This conversation is thoroughly tedious but here's my two cents:

Minimum print runs for Sony are still in the order of thousands of units and manufacturing those discs is a big financial commitment for a first-time publisher with an ultra-niche game, especially in Japan where a) the bureaucracy on Sony's end is very different and not as amenable to such releases as the western branches, and b) there's still not a lot of groundswell for domestic crowdfunding initiatives, so publishers pretty much have to front up the money themselves.

I can only assume the "fancy LE with no disc" is M2's way of road-testing future retail releases in as low-risk a manner as possible: they're made to order so they don't have to worry about being lumbered with stock that doesn't sell, they don't have the added layer of publishing/cert issues holding them back and it gives them some sort of idea of how many people are actually interested in buying an LE more generally, how many people buy the LE vs. the standard download, what % of people comment about the lack of a disc release, etc.

If you want things to change now or in the future, my advice would be to send your comments directly to @m2_game and hope they get the message. Yelling past each other on message boards won't achieve shit.

Saoshyant

How tiny are those runs? The physical release here is actually going to be made to order, so it could end up even smaller than a LRG run and perhaps too small for Sony still.

As low as 2500 units for the lowest PS4 LRG release, if I recall correctly.

I imagine, considering how bad the Japanese videogame market currently is, that this LE will possibly not sell 2500 units. We are talking about a market where more popular, cheaper releases are only selling about 5000 copies on their debut week.

Still, not entirely unlikely that Sony would allow a print of 1500 units, which would probably sell out easily. Even 2000 may work.

NDPsycho

M2 should just get in contact with LRG. I'm sure they'd take care of things and it would be at basically no risk from the way things sound. Win/win.

M2 should just get in contact with LRG. I'm sure they'd take care of things and it would be at basically no risk from the way things sound. Win/win.

Yeah maybe they will. I tweeted them asking about possibility of disc releases in the future but nothing back yet. Anyway, i also noticed on their blog, it looks like it'll definitely hit other PSNs at some point:

M2 said:
Release (Japan): 12/15/2016 (Please wait for upcoming announcements regarding other countries.)

This will hardly sell and physical copies burned cave to death. Let's celebrate Gareggas anniversary by complaining about 80€ for physical goods for an STG that goes for over 500 these days for a saturn copy.

Keep waiting, hoping that AmiAmi will eventually get the preorder up. Not that I don't want to give money to one of the others but Play-Asia tends to be kind of expensive.

It's up on Amazon Japan. There's a version with a retailer exclusive bonus (item unconfirmed) which is currently the same price as the set sold on its own.

Yes Boss!

It's up on Amazon Japan. There's a version with a retailer exclusive bonus (item unconfirmed) which is currently the same price as the set sold on its own.

Yes, gonna grab an amazon.co.jp one as well.

Edit: with global shipping (Cali) it worked out to about $105. Everywhere seems about the same.

duckroll

Twitter poll from M2 asking about physical media: https://twitter.com/hor11/status/775990647375310849

Someone will need to translate though.

I don't think they're really going to change their minds about this particular release right now, but he's trying to get a sense of what people prefer. He says that Garegga is definitely a download code. The poll also seems a bit tongue in cheek. It goes like this...

1) I'll feel better with a disc for sure! That way the game can be preserved forever!
2) Download Card! I don't want to have to replace a disc or look for it if it's missing!
2) Who cares, I don't care as long as I have the game data!
3) Gimme Neo Geo cart, I like it big!

I don't think they're really going to change their minds about this particular release right now, but he's trying to get a sense of what people prefer. He says that Garegga is definitely a download code. The poll also seems a bit tongue in cheek. It goes like this...

1) I'll feel better with a disc for sure! That way the game can be preserved forever!
2) Download Card! I don't want to have to replace a disc or look for it if it's missing!

Yay, I was vaguely accurate!

4) Gimme Neo Geo cart, I like it big!

I'm ready.

iAlSjz2.jpg

(Fixed your numbering too.)

Thanks for the translations, guys.

Hehe, I had a feeling. The shmups twitter account that led me there mentioned Neo Geo cart.

Anyone know if there has been any further news on the retail exclusive set with the alternate bonus item? Is it the same as the current LE just with a different item other than the power up replica model that the current LE has? I don't want to miss out on either. >__<

Anyone know if there has been any further news on the retail exclusive set with the alternate bonus item? Is it the same as the current LE just with a different item other than the power up replica model that the current LE has? I don't want to miss out on either. >__<

Item still yet to be decided, but it will be an addition to whatever the 'standard' limited edition offering is, not a replacement for something else.

Someone needs to hit up M2's Twitter and beg them to port other Raizing shmups like Bakraid and Batrider.

Item still yet to be decided, but it will be an addition to whatever the 'standard' limited edition offering is, not a replacement for something else.

Ok, so it will be a version of the same LE package that we are discussing here except it will contain a bonus item that you only get when purchasing the LE at retail stores in Japan, am I understanding that correctly?

Someone needs to hit up M2's Twitter and beg them to port other Raizing shmups like Bakraid and Batrider.

Ok, so it will be a version of the same LE package that we are discussing here except it will contain a bonus item that you only get when purchasing the LE at retail stores in Japan, am I understanding that correctly?

Correct. It is common to see various bonus preorder-exclusive items across several retailers for a new game release in Japan, but the only one I'm aware of at this time is with Amazon Japan.

Dambrosi

Banned

1) I'll feel better with a disc for sure! That way the game can be preserved forever! 64%
2) Download Card! I don't want to have to replace a disc or look for it if it's missing! 11%
3) Who cares, I don't care as long as I have the game data! 6%
4) Gimme Neo Geo cart, I like it big! 19%
Well, 64% of respondants want a physical disc release, that should send a message.

Thanks so if I use that Amazon pre-order link I'll get whatever the retail only bonus is, correct? Sorry for all the extra questions, just want to make sure I get this right. :p

You will, yes. Time was you couldn't even place an international order for items with exclusives bonuses from Amazon Japan (a forwarding address in Japan came in very handy) but since they relaxed the rules this year on what you can order, it's all good for stuff like this now.

You will, yes. Time was you couldn't even place an international order for items with exclusives bonuses from Amazon Japan (a forwarding address in Japan came in very handy) but since they relaxed the rules this year on what you can order, it's all good for stuff like this now.

Great, thanks again.

Famitsu have posted the full interview now. Going off Google Translate, some nice stuff about the features:

- can lower the level of difficulty
- save anywhere (repeatedly practice something) and i think several save slots
- the side of screen gadgets, they say might be hard to see while playing, but they put in such features (that visualise the games' internal information) so that observers can better understand the player's choices. I think they say the gadgets can also appear on a vertical display too (top and bottom?)
- change colour of enemy bullets
- internet rankings, replay data upload

On M2 Shot Triggers -
- seems to mention the 3DS and PC as the only other platforms they could theoretically put them on (based on M2's strength), nothing planned though.
- already working on next wave, several companies have approached (or have been approached maybe)
- they plan to establish it as a series, to flow into the release of original games (Iuchi's Ubusana)

Top Bottom