• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

Qleen is at the event. I guess Verb canceled?
that's what it's looking like.

2jcu3yf.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Surf, Shine, and others ROAST THE EVER LOVING FUCK out of Cortez. Bonus appearance by some guy named Caustic aka Matthew Dellavedova according to Surf.
Caustic got it debatably as bad as Cortez, at least Cortez tried to fight back. Caustic epitomized his own irrelevancy right there.

I feel bad for Cortez. Those are all of his peers that came up at the same time and he stays getting sonned. I feel like Cortez needs a whole new style or needs to stop feeling his own bars so much in his performance. Maybe even go more jokey.

mileS

Was this video what Caustic's twitter meltdown was about? I'll have to watch it later.

I could kind of tell it was lol. Didn't watch the whole thing but its clear to see they act like little kids about the shit. Hanging outside talking about things like nerdy tryhards. Acting pretty childish even for battle rappers. I wouldn't have even entertained their bullshit. Best bet is to just walk away.

m3k

What point does it concern caustic? I can't be fucked watching shit talk, I made it through Cortez getting grilled

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Power 2 Trailer
Quest McCody vs. Math Hoffa
Marvwon vs. T-Rex
Calicoe vs. Ill Will
B Magic vs. Mack Myron
Midwest Miles vs. Head I.C.E.
M. Ciddy vs. Xcel
Shotti P vs. Tycoon Tax
Stack Almighty vs. Mr. Mill$

Miles stahp. Please you tried to come back once already and got your shit pushed in by DNA already.

Also y'all hear the rumblings that Mook vs. Surf might go down at Madison Square Garden at the top of next year? Venue seems excessive TBH, seems like another unsustainable jump up, but it'd be crazy if it happened and that was the event Beasley was teasing.

Damn this might be the most chokiest battle all year. Kid Twist had all the most memorable lines in his first and second IMO.

Furyous

Welp Danny Myers and Surf are on Angry Fan arguing over ghostwriting allegations. This turning real ugly real quickly as this is going to some street shit outside of battle rap. Surf said he's more important in LA than Danny.

Danny is saying he has proof that Ah Di Boom "helped" Surf with his bars after Math outed Surf. Surf is defending himself against these allegations by pointing out that everyone hears each other's bars and help each other with bars.

Danny: Ah Di Boom helped you writing for Daylyt and someone else.
Surf: We bounced ideas off each other like emcees do before a battle.

Who do y'all believe?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Danny is too fucking much. Dude is on the radio tryna fight Surf over someone else writing for him. Danny just does way too much, so goddamn emotional. Dude needs to just chill.

I doubt anyone would write for Surf, dude is way too proud.

And Ah Di Boom of all people? Like Surf said himself, he'd call Chilla or pretty much 90 other people before someone would call Boom. FOH with this bullshit drama.

m3k

Danny was doing pretty good and just rapping and putting on good performances... And then he gets into some dumb shit

I wouldn't think surfs writing style is pretty unique ... I wouldn't believe that straight up

Boom put out an email saying he didn't write for Surf, that they "wrote together." Whatever the hell he meant by that. Regardless Danny is still on AFM talking about Surf and ghost writing. Boom spoke on it, this shit should be dead. Danny is doing way too much, as usual.

I didn't think he could top the interview where he called up crying about how battle rap is ruining his marriage. That's probably still worse but Jesus Christ...

Yeah that's a clear 3-0. JJDD had the most consistently dope performance I can think of from him. Wavy wasnt all the way shit but he had some super trash lines and mistakenly paused for reaction on a few of them. If you cant write good set ups and pad your bars out with weaker punches than at least run through them so fewer people notice.

"Crunched on the low like dwarf abs"... seriously people saying shit like this makes me think they don't actually know when they're writing good or bad material. You cant say shit like that unless you're being ironic or something.

If at any point you have to say "dwarf abs" for a punchline. Scrap that shit immediately.

Gotta give it to JJDD, he's been pretty consistent on URL throughout the past few years, even if it's not really exciting necessarily.

He's got some low key buzz off two straight 3-0's. John John is dope. He's not in my top anything, really. But I'm never mad at there being a JJDD battle on the card. He should get Tay Roc next. The callout was effective and it makes sense for two current crowd favorites to battle rn.

John John did his thing. 3-0. Wavy had no business being on SM5 anyways.

That's a good point. Wavy really didn't earn that spot.

That time thing ruined something that could've been special. QP was spitting flames.

DBD and DNA was good too.

Missed Bigg K and Caustic

Furyous

Are we going to talk about how Pass took Ars' soul in the third round?

I got Daylyt winning against QP barely on first watch.

C'mon Gjonaj wreck Diz!! Do it for the people. If he brings out Math it's over.

Are we letting Bigg K off the hook for using the cat angle?

Gjonaj choked but his first and third rounds were flames. Diz had some decent but overhyped material that the crowd was pushing.

I already know a lot people are going to have Diz winning, but Gjonaj's material was dope.

I got Gjonaj 2-1

Furyous

Gjo won 2-1. He proved that he's the better writer. Diz got real lazy in this battle and some of his shit was Cassidyesque.

Are we going to sit here and act like the KOTD bias isn't real? Diz got the T-Rex pass in that battle with his wack ass bars. Diz used a mimiced Gjo's style but failed because he held onto it too long.

With that said, why did Gjo talk about choking on AFR then actually choke in the battle? Dude said something to the effect of all stages are the same? I knew something was up when dude kept pointing out Gjo needs deorderant before the battle started.

Gjo broke down his style and pointed out that Diz is a shell of his former self. The shot at Filmon and Lush were great as well. Literally his religious scheme was light years ahead of anything Diz spit in this battle. Diz honestly sounded washed going against Gjo.

Furyous

woaaah you guys had gjonaj winning?

yo gjonaj died. that shit was ugly.

Are we talking about bars? Whole crowd gassed up Diz something awful. We talking URL gassing up Rex bad. Crowd was going crazy for basic shit. Gjo's second was 1:10 seconds short so if someone gave Diz the battle after that then whatever. However, if we talking about bars then Diz got bodied.

Diz said on twitter that he only wrote one structured round and winged it. This battle shows that was the case and is really disappointing to hear.

Bars, performance, everything. Gjonaj was more thematically ambitious but he didnt even execute on the themes as well as he's done in the past. Honestly I expected more from him. He wasn't wack but this was gonna be his jump to top tier and I thought his Born material was better.

Are we saying Diz had wack bars? He wasn't trying to tie it into a deep theme like Gjonaj does but as far as being clever, rhyming, versatility... Diz definitely came correct. You could say he was getting extra love at home, sure. But he was really on point this battle regardless of that. It's not like the crowd wasn't rocking with Gjonaj either. It's his KOTD debut of course hes gonna have to win them over in some sense.

Gjonaj had the cry face in this battle. He looked defeated. Diz's first round really did shake him up and make him blank out in the 2nd. When someone's rhymes get to you like that it's a clear L for me.

I'm gonna have to watch the battle again to be able to remember each bar. But yeah, even writing wise if you wanna give Gjonaj the slight edge I wouldn't peg Diz too far behind.

Are we talking about bars? Whole crowd gassed up Diz something awful. We talking URL gassing up Rex bad. Crowd was going crazy for basic shit. Gjo's second was 1:10 seconds short so if someone gave Diz the battle after that then whatever. However, if we talking about bars then Diz got bodied.
This is where i'm at. I do believe it will show better on cam. But Gjonaj delivered his first and third well, his schemes and punches were crazy, and his material broke Diz down into pieces. The crowd clearly being bias were still rocking with Gjonaj, but I think he got slept on for a few bars I heard.

Diz had some decent stuff. But I can't give that battle to Diz when Gjonaj's bars were so heavy and well constructed.

Also, what did Pass do to Ars?

Furyous

Pass basically got on Ars for disrespecting Oscar Grant in Oakland. He talked about how Ars was scared because the goons were on him and let him live. Talked about how as a black man that's something you don't do. He was talking to Ars' soul at that point. Basically, it's lines that you shouldn't cross as men and Ars did that to keep up his whole greatest at disrespect gimmick.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Haven't watched any of the battles, but Gjonaj choking alone after talking all that shit and putting himself on such a high pedestal knocks him or at least his value down quite a few more pegs than I had anticipated.

Most new MCs are idiots, they don't understand the purpose behind not shooting straight to the top within your first few battles. You have to work your way there, which is why the URL contract would have worked better for him. Now people are gonna toss Gjonaj aside and not look at his ass again because he was sacrificed to Diz. It's not the same as Surf taking those Ls to DNA and Yung Ill, but they all think its exactly like that.

It's still super annoying to me that dude can't be assed to make decisions about his career himself and has burned so many opportunities and he put all his chips on this battle.

There's a replay going down on the stream link rn btw.

Gjonaj can still bounce back if he shows out crazy in the next battle. Gjo Gjo had a good 3rd against Diz's weakest round so he can hold on to that and not commit seppuku over this.

If Diz switched his 2nd and 3rd that would've been an air tight 30 tho.

Pass basically got on Ars for disrespecting Oscar Grant in Oakland. He talked about how Ars was scared because the goons were on him and let him live. Talked about how as a black man that's something you don't do. He was talking to Ars' soul at that point. Basically, it's lines that you shouldn't cross as men and Ars did that to keep up his whole greatest at disrespect gimmick.

Man I really wanna watch that shit again.

I accept that this is effectively a huge loss for Gjonaj. I know why a lot of people see it that way. That choke is inexcusable considering the stakes. But i'll always debate it, because I was hearing some good shit from Gjonaj that was just simply way better thought out than what Diz was spitting.

Diz had some decent punches, but I think it was clear who wrote the better material. If Gjonaj had gotten through his second round people wouldn't be calling this a body.

How do we feel about Gjonaj's material compared to his other battles? Think with him this battle is I was really looking for another "stuck in traffic" or "fork in the road/ eat of the street" moment from Gjo. I don't feel like I got that.

He was definitely doing his numbers in the 3rd but I wanted that big moment.

Top Bottom