• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 PC Performance Thread

I don't think there is much to do in settings, the game is just pretty demanding in 64 player modes with everything going on, though some maps are worse, possibly because of weather effects? Not sure but you can't change that in settings either if that was it.

thanks, unfortunately, where I live 64 player modes are the only ones with playable latency. THe rest are all over 170ms(dunno if thats playable, but in my experience in other gamesexcept resistance1(ps3 lol) which gave laggers the advantage, anything above 100 is shite

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
So there is really no way to reduce the TAA sharpening? I am at 3440x1440 on a 1080 and I just cannot settle on an antialising solution that looks right. TAA's sharpening is horrendously visible and rather ugly at this resolution. Resolution scale doesn't do enough. I supposed I should try some DSR resolutions.
Do you even need TAA at that point? You could probably just inject SMAA.

What the hell is going on. That sharpening is atrocious and I can't find a way to get it off, I thought it was tied to TAA but even with that off it's still there..

chrislowe

Running campaing in 4k Ultra settings gives me a 30FPS average, 4k High 36FPS average, and 4k Medium 44FPS average.
Running on RX480 4GB + i5 6500 stock speed.

4k High is actually running great, even if its not 60fps. No framepacing issues, just plays fine.
4k Ultra is a little bit on the slow side, those extra 6fps on high makes a difference.

using msi afterburner builtin logging

shanafan

Looking for some help on achieving 144 fps.

I have a G Sync monitor capable of 1440p and 144 hz, and my video card is a GTX 1070.

With v sync turned off, I can only get between 70-80 fps playing in full screen mode. I read that this game doesn't have a cap on fps, so is it possible I can go higher? Or does higher involve upgrading to a 1080.

Thanks!

This game is running near max on my cores 3770k stock, but GPU usage is in the 40s. GPU is 980Ti. Is this normal? Looks quite low. I'm not having any performance issues btw, but it's weird, other games like AC:S uses 99%gpu usage.

Running it in ultra, 1080p not downscaling.

Edit: could be that GPU memory restriction is on by default, so I will turn it off and see what happens.

b0se

Banned
This game is running near max on my cores 3770k stock, but GPU usage is in the 40s. GPU is 980Ti. Is this normal? Looks quite low. I'm not having any performance issues btw, but it's weird, other games like AC:S uses 99%gpu usage.

Running it in ultra, 1080p not downscaling.

It's not normal at all, lots of players are experiencing this including me.

It's been reported everywhere and so far they've ignored the issue, maybe theyre gonna fix it in the next patch ?

Maybe they wont at all

Trick that I use to give the CPU some breathing space:

gametime.maxvariablefps 60 ( it caps the fps to 60 ) youll see the overall usage decreasing

Disabling GPU memory management increased the GPU usage slightly, but then again I was playing a different map.

Didn't realise other people where having this issue. Is this a problem that's it not using more GPU resources. It runs very smooth for me and many others.

b0se

Banned

riflen

Looking for some help on achieving 144 fps.

I have a G Sync monitor capable of 1440p and 144 hz, and my video card is a GTX 1070.

With v sync turned off, I can only get between 70-80 fps playing in full screen mode. I read that this game doesn't have a cap on fps, so is it possible I can go higher? Or does higher involve upgrading to a 1080.

Thanks!

I don't think a system exists yet that can maintain the frametimes needed. You don't post your CPU, but basically the GPU is not the barrier anyway. You can reduce GPU-intensive settings right down to the lowest (and probably lower with console commands) but you cannot alter many settings that put pressure on CPU.

Basically running all the physics interactions of dozens of objects and players is very expensive. I have not tried for 144 fps myself, but even with a i7-6900k at 4.4Ghz I doubt it could maintain 144 fps at all times.

shanafan

I don't think a system exists yet that can maintain the frametimes needed. You don't post your CPU, but basically the GPU is not the barrier anyway. You can reduce GPU-intensive settings right down to the lowest (and probably lower with console commands) but you cannot alter many settings that put pressure on CPU.

Basically running all the physics interactions of dozens of objects and players is very expensive. I have not tried for 144 fps myself, but even with a i7-6900k at 4.4Ghz I doubt it could maintain 144 fps at all times.

Thanks. I did read some additional information on Reddit, and an obvious suggestion is to decrease my video settings from Ultra. Someone made a point, do you want a gorgeous game at 80 FPS at Ultra, or a faster game at 144 FPS.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TAA is weird. I quite like the coverage, but the sharpening on top of resolution scaling is just too much.

I also think it's kind of weird that its coverage reduces if not outright disables what I assume is deliberate specular map pixel twinkling. It's that effect you can see on specular surfaces, often desert sand, wet mud, and chrome, where there's a "twinkle" of shine as you move the camera. Like it's sparkling.

Left is just 130% res scaling. Right is that plus TAA. Running around I noticed it's completely gone full stop with TAA.

bf12016-12-1119-39-447osft.jpg

abracadaver

Game runs amazing for me.

6700K (stock)
Fury X
16GB RAM
Installed on HDD

In 1440p
Dx12 / everything ultra
Vsync off (have a freesync monitor)

I'm only playing 64player onslaught and I don't think it ever dropped below 50 fps. Feels and looks like more than 60 basically all the time. Can't tell for sure because my steam fps overlay does not work.

Sometimes I get a small graphical bug though where a bit of the sun glows through buildings. Will try to take a screenshot next time I see it.

TAA is weird. I quite like the coverage, but the sharpening on top of resolution scaling is just too much.

I also think it's kind of weird that its coverage reduces if not outright disables what I assume is deliberate specular map pixel twinkling. It's that effect you can see on specular surfaces, often desert sand, wet mud, and chrome, where there's a "twinkle" of shine as you move the camera. Like it's sparkling.

Left is just 130% res scaling. Right is that plus TAA. Running around I noticed it's completely gone full stop with TAA.

bf12016-12-1119-39-447osft.jpg

from various presentations ive read it seems to never be intentional and is an artifact that taa fixes.

Game runs amazing for me.

6700K (stock)
Fury X
16GB RAM
Installed on HDD

In 1440p
Dx12 / everything ultra
Vsync off (have a freesync monitor)

I'm only playing 64player onslaught and I don't think it ever dropped below 50 fps. Feels and looks like more than 60 basically all the time. Can't tell for sure because my steam fps overlay does not work.

Sometimes I get a small graphical bug though where a bit of the sun glows through buildings. Will try to take a screenshot next time I see it.

dx11 is faster

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
from various presentations ive read it seems to never be intentional and is an artifact that taa fixes.

Ha! Crazy. Funnily enough I don't mind it. Sometimes it's odd, but on the right surfaces it looks kinda great.

b0se

Banned
DECEMBER PATCH NOTES

http://pastebin.com/MRYABYZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUnV2jiTjXc

Did they finally fix this shit ?

Stability& Performance
Stability and performance is always critical to us, and in this patch we’ve done a number of improvements to ensure a solid gameplay experience. Below are some of the major changes.
• Fixed an issue that caused a hang when pressing J/K/L on console keyboard
• Added a new Framerate Limiter option that limits the maximum framerate the game will run at to a specific amount. Limiting your framerate to a lower number can help improve performance if you are experiencing high CPU usage
• CPU optimization to improve high framerate operation on high end video cards where there is no VRAM pressure

Ive been having the 100% cpu issue since launch

MaLDo

I don't have performance problems but cinematics are a stuttery mess.

Gameplay is locked at 60 fps and runs perfect, but everytime a pre-rendered cinematic plays, framerate is 60 fps but the video is not smooth. If while it plays I limit framerate to 30 fps using game console, then the video is completely smooth. If the cinematics player into the game can't handle higher framerates, why they don't change framerate to 30 in those videos?

Someone else have this problem? I guess everybody.

EDIT:

google says it's not a BF1 only problem

Battlefield 3 -> http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960869-battlefield-3/60764724
Do cutscenes get laggy/studder for anyone else? The game itself plays fine on my setup, but for some reason, cutscenes get really choppy

Battlefield 4 -> http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/es/forum/threadview/2832654624694753252/
Stuttering in single player cinematics only.

Battlefield 1 -> https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/48058/cutscene-lag
When any cutscene plays, no matter when it is the intro to a multiplayer match or (especially) the singleplayer campaign, I loose frames. It gets super choppy and the audio skips. However, when it makes it to the actual gameplay, it runs fine without the problem.

Battlefield 1 -> https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/39175/pre-rendered-cinematics-having-issues
I can run the game on Ultra settings and keep it above 60 fps, however, when a cinematic starts during the campaign it gets muddy and choppy.

b0se

Banned
I don't have performance problems but cinematics are a stuttery mess.

Gameplay is locked at 60 fps and runs perfect, but everytime a pre-rendered cinematic plays, framerate is 60 fps but the video is not smooth. If while it plays I limit framerate to 30 fps using game console, then the video is completely smooth. If the cinematics player into the game can't handle higher framerates, why they don't change framerate to 30 in those videos?

Someone else have this problem? I guess everybody.

EDIT:

google says it's not a BF1 only problem

Im only having that issue in Operations, it plays for a few seconds then it pauses and then it fast forwards to the end

Xyber

I am happy with the performance boost I got in this patch. My usual test of joining a 64-player Empire's Edge match and standing at D-flag looking towards C. Pre-patch I was getting 80-90FPS, now I get 115-125.

Gonna see if it's any better on St Quentin at a spot where I could go down to ~70FPS.

b0se

Banned
I am happy with the performance boost I got in this patch. My usual test of joining a 64-player Empire's Edge match and standing at D-flag looking towards C. Pre-patch I was getting 80-90FPS, now I get 115-125.

Gonna see if it's any better on St Quentin at a spot where I could go down to ~70FPS.

Does the CPU still sit at 100% ?

I've been having this issue ever since the game was released ( and hundreds more people ) theres a huge thread about it on the official bf1 forums

If they fixed this i have nothing else to complain

MaLDo

Im only having that issue in Operations, it plays for a few seconds then it pauses and then it fast forwards to the end

I'm not talking about pauses, but judder. What you're talking about is related with map loading in the background.

Start a new singleplayer campaign and compare the cinematics at 60 fps and 30 fps (open console and type gametime.maxvariablefps 30 )

You will see the difference instantly.

Xyber

Does the CPU still sit at 100% ?

I've been having this issue ever since the game was released ( and hundreds more people ) theres a huge thread about it on the official bf1 forums

If they fixed this i have nothing else to complain

It doesn't peg my CPU anymore since I got a 5820K now, but all 12 threads are usually at around 40-70%.

Edit: Overall I think my minimum FPS has greatly improved after a few hours of playtime now. Pretty much never saw it go below 100FPS.

b0se

Banned
It doesn't peg my CPU anymore since I got a 5820K now, but all 12 threads are usually at around 40-70%.

Edit: Overall I think my minimum FPS has greatly improved after a few hours of playtime now. Pretty much never saw it go below 100FPS.

Awesome!

thanks

Playing this after the most recent update on my PC has been a bit of a mess and I'm at a loss as to what's going on.

The game seems to mostly perform the same as before but seemingly at random in a given match the screen will just freeze for 5-10 seconds and then everything comes back. It's making the game borderline unplayable. Depending on the map things will dip down into the 40s but otherwise its usually 60+fps, with weather effects seemingly being the big performance culprits. But this new freezing for 5-10 seconds has never happened before.

I've got a 1070 FTW, i5-4670k, 16GB RAM, installed to my SSD. Running at 1440p Gsync with everything defaulting to Ultra. I'm on the 375.95 drivers.

Valtýr

Can anyone confirm something for me? How does resolution scale work exactly? Is 100 your native resolution? I've been seeing some people claim that 42 is actually your native res but most of that is from the beta. Did they fix that?

Valtýr;226643603 said:
Can anyone confirm something for me? How does resolution scale work exactly? Is 100 your native resolution? I've been seeing some people claim that 42 is actually your native res but most of that is from the beta. Did they fix that?

I'm pretty sure that's the case now- 100% = your native resolution. I remember with the Beta it was messed up like you said, but I think its fixed now.

This is the same problem I have with Operations videos. The patch notes said it was fixed by forcing vsync during these vids, but it's definitely still doing this.

It's always faster on AMD (but just 1-3%) and on Nvidia it can be also faster, if your CPU is limiting, if not DX11 is faster.
https://www.computerbase.de/2016-12/the-division-dx12-benchmark/#diagramm-the-division-mit-directx-12-2560-1440

thats not battlefield, its the division.

even with AMD cards?

in this game yes

So performance got worse after the patch? Not to mention the random stutters that weren't there before patches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaHmRGm-m3g

DICE pls

slower on amd gpus as well

Ugh want to buy the standard edition for 35$ right now, but is there at point in doing so:

I7-4770k unlocked
16gb ram
SSD for install
Gtx 760 2 go <-- back breaker

1080p was the goal, prefer medium to high for 60fps, is this possible?

dr_rus

Ugh want to buy the standard edition for 35$ right now, but is there at point in doing so:

I7-4770k unlocked
16gb ram
SSD for install
Gtx 760 2 go <-- back breaker

1080p was the goal, prefer medium to high for 60fps, is this possible?

Should probably be possible on lower than medium settings. These are DX12 and on Kepler it should be quite a bit faster to use DX11 so there's that as well.

The sharpening filter is ugly, ruins the look of the game especially for objects fading into fog. Is there any word on introducing a toggle or slider for this yet?

Hey all, I'm building a rig for my gf so she can play Mass Effect: Andromeda at launch, and I was hoping to get an idea for specs from BF1 since Andromeda's minimum requirements haven't been revealed yet. What would be the minimum requirements for a 1080p 60fps medium settings build for BF1?

Wait, that isn't an intentional effect?? I never noticed it on mud or chrome only on the sand in the desert levels and I thought it looked really good haha

Hey all, I'm building a rig for my gf so she can play Mass Effect: Andromeda at launch, and I was hoping to get an idea for specs from BF1 since Andromeda's minimum requirements haven't been revealed yet. What would be the minimum requirements for a 1080p 60fps medium settings build for BF1?

470/1060

Specs:
i7 6700K
32GB DDR4 3200MHz
2 x EVGA SC 1080's
WIndows 10 64-Bit

I'm playing in 4k with everything maxed out and at the highest setting, resolution scale is the default 100%, V-Sync on, AA off, HBAO+ on (highest setting), and I get constant 60FPS but I launched a few Team Deathmatch matches last night and in certain spots I'm sitting at 40 FPS, this can't be right?

I then began to fiddle with Nvidia Inspector, I kept the SLI Bits in tact up top, which has a profile for BF3, 4, and 1 but I did make changes to the SLI Section towards the middle, I changed SLI predefined from 4 to 2 to see if there's differences, etc. I didn't do much more testing than that.

Does anyone have a good profile they're running? My build should be able to run this at 100 FPS always, or is SLI still borked for BF1 ?

I am running MSI Afterburner and my GPU's are never at 100% utilization, if I remember right, usually around 50-60% but clock speed is closer to 2k (which is actually above the boost rating :) )

Specs:
i7 6700K
32GB DDR4 3200MHz
2 x EVGA SC 1080's
WIndows 10 64-Bit

I'm playing in 4k with everything maxed out and at the highest setting, resolution scale is the default 100%, V-Sync on, AA off, HBAO+ on (highest setting), and I get constant 60FPS but I launched a few Team Deathmatch matches last night and in certain spots I'm sitting at 40 FPS, this can't be right?

I then began to fiddle with Nvidia Inspector, I kept the SLI Bits in tact up top, which has a profile for BF3, 4, and 1 but I did make changes to the SLI Section towards the middle, I changed SLI predefined from 4 to 2 to see if there's differences, etc. I didn't do much more testing than that.

Does anyone have a good profile they're running? My build should be able to run this at 100 FPS always, or is SLI still borked for BF1 ?

I am running MSI Afterburner and my GPU's are never at 100% utilization, if I remember right, usually around 50-60% but clock speed is closer to 2k (which is actually above the boost rating :) )

i dont know about sli the the latest bf one patch dropped performance substantially on both vendors gpus

Specs:
i7 6700K
32GB DDR4 3200MHz
2 x EVGA SC 1080's
WIndows 10 64-Bit

icecold1983 said:
i dont know about sli the the latest bf one patch dropped performance substantially on both vendors gpus

Thanks icecold1983. Quoting myself to potentially help others but last night I decided to disable VSync and viola never dropped below 60FPS in 4K. I haven't been a PC Gamer in a while so I can't remember if VSync was a common cause of performance problems or if it's just BF1.

ValfarHL

My 2500k@4.5Ghz is using 90%+ all the time.. Playing at 1440p, 144hz with a 1070 or 1080. Haven't decided which I wanna keep yet.

With my current CPU it doesn't really matter, as that is the limiting factor..

Any news if this will be patched (tomorrow?)

Top Bottom