• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 PC Performance Thread

JBwB

3570k OC @ 4.7ghz
GTX 1080 FTW
16GB ram 1600mhz

1920x1200 @ 150% scaling

Got a locked 60fps throughout the entire single player campaign. I haven't tested all the maps in MP yet but so far I haven't seen any dips below 60.

Xyber

I'm not saying that you can't get a average FPS of 80-90+ but I'd be surprised if those CPUs wouldn't regularly cause drops to 40-50 in 64p conquest.

It also depends a lot on the map and just the area of the map itself. On St. Quentin Scar by E flag I can get 120+ looking towards the F flag or that general direction. If I turn around and look up towards B I can go down to ~75FPS while standing in the exakt same place and my GPU usage drops to 55%.

On Amiens I get similar drops in some areas.

On Empire's Edge I get ~80FPS while standing up at D flag just looking in towards the map.

Those maps are the worst in my experience. 64 players on Argonne Forest is still completely GPU bound and I don't think I've ever seen it below 100FPS there.

It's just so jarring going from 100+ to around 70 by turning around and I can immediately feel the added mouse lag. For those used to 60FPS this kinda feels like when the game suddenly drops down to about 40FPS, everything just feels sluggish.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm not saying that you can't get a average FPS of 80-90+ but I'd be surprised if those CPUs wouldn't regularly cause drops to 40-50 in 64p conquest.
It usually doesn't go under 60, but there's a weird bug where performance tanks until I alt+tab. I think DICE needs to take a look at that one.

RAWRferal

Sorry but I can't be asked to search, anyone with a 970m 3gb like to tell me how they are doing with this game?

Playing the trial on Xbone atm, loving it but the IQ is a bit lacking sometimes...

I had a phenom x4 965 over clocked at 3.8 running with 12gb ram on a Nvidia 970

Just switched to i56600k stock speeds with ddr4 ram still with my 970.

Before:
35-45 with constant changing frames at 1080p high/ultra settings

Now
60fps solid @1440p ultra settings

Plays like butter now. Amazing.

Did the latest patch make the game playable for people who got the Direct X error?
Battlefield 1 Fall Update Notes 11152016:
  • Several CPU optimizations
  • Several DX12 optimizations

• Fixes for several DX12 crashes
  • Fixes for several client crashes

• Fix for several video crashes related to window size, hardware detection, and multiple monitors.

• Fix for a crash related to switching from Atmos to non-Atmos too quickly.

• Several fixes for common and uncommon server crashes.

• Fix for a crash that could occur if playing SP for a long time.

hoserx

The game is completely jacked for anyone with SLI now with the new update. It flickers constantly. New drivers or any drivers, the game is destroyed. :(

DX12 worth using now after the update? I'm on a 970. Wondering if I'll get any performance upgrades. I remember hearding that DX12 hasn't been too great?

dr_rus

DX12 worth using now after the update? I'm on a 970. Wondering if I'll get any performance upgrades. I remember hearding that DX12 hasn't been too great?

Unless you're playing in something like 1280x720 with low settings - it's very unlikely that DX12 will ever be worth using for you on a 970.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
It was running perfectly on my PC before the update, and now I get stutter every 30sec to 2 minutes, most of the time when there's some action on the screen.

i7 5930K @4.5 GHz
16 GB DDR4
980 Ti @1450 Mhz

It's playable, but very annoying when these micro-freeze happen in combat...

THEaaron

hes right

No, he is not. There is just a problem with DX12 implementations at the moment. There are examples like Tomb Raider or Hitman where you even gain performance @ 1080p with max settings. DX12 can elevate your minfps by a fair margin and BF1 should gain a massive boost when it will finally work as intended.

The thing is: you need cpu limited scenarios.

full article for reference

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Hitma...Episode-2-Test-Benchmarks-DirectX-12-1193618/

No, he is not. There is just a problem with DX12 implementations at the moment. There are examples like Tomb Raider or Hitman where you even gain performance @ 1080p with max settings. DX12 can elevate your minfps by a fair margin and BF1 should gain a massive boost when it will finally work as intended.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Hitma...Episode-2-Test-Benchmarks-DirectX-12-1193618/

thats not a 970

dr_rus

That's exactly what you get when playing in a low resolution with low graphics quality settings.

So.. Does the game run better after the patch?

You be the judge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rImGqW-S8c

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
This was from the PS4 Pro thread but I'm quoting it here:

Oh I see, yeah it's a really good GPU!

That 6+ year old CPU is still going strong though, 2 new PlayStations and a 3rd Xbox released since it came out, crazy really.

Do you know of the Xeon X5650? It's a six core Westmere CPU and that can be frequently had for under £80 used, it could be a nice upgrade to have if it's compatible with your motherboard and you'll get more performance in games like Battlefield 1 as it scales pretty well with more cores.
Thanks for the heads up. The Xeons are incredible deals. 6 cores and 12 threads for under $100.

This was from the PS4 Pro thread but I'm quoting it here:

Thanks for the heads up. The Xeons are incredible deals. 6 cores and 12 threads for under $100.

An i5 750 is an LGA1156 socket CPU, that Xeon appears to be a LGA1366. I checked because a buddy of mine is also still using an i5 750. It could replace an i7 920, though if your motherboard supports it but I don't know if the lower clock speed hurts more than the additional cores helps in that case. Apparently the i7 920 and Xeon X5650 are clocked the same and have similar overclocking potential.

Ashhong

Please help! Today Battlefield 1 just keeps crashing. It loads, goes someways into the menu, and then says encountered an error and needs to close. I don't know what's causing it. I am on Windows 10 anniversary update. Ran the install fixer tool and everything.

J3nga

Please help! Today Battlefield 1 just keeps crashing. It loads, goes someways into the menu, and then says encountered an error and needs to close. I don't know what's causing it. I am on Windows 10 anniversary update. Ran the install fixer tool and everything.

Having same problem as of today.

TheRed

Game still tears apart my i5 4670K on some maps with 64 players.
Guess I will have to go through with upgrading my motherboard and cpu next year to fully enjoy this game.

So there is really no way to reduce the TAA sharpening? I am at 3440x1440 on a 1080 and I just cannot settle on an antialising solution that looks right. TAA's sharpening is horrendously visible and rather ugly at this resolution. Resolution scale doesn't do enough. I supposed I should try some DSR resolutions.

Ashhong

Having same problem as of today.

Thank god it's not just me. Have you fixed it?

Game still tears apart my i5 4670K on some maps with 64 players.
Guess I will have to go through with upgrading my motherboard and cpu next year to fully enjoy this game.

Mine runs at a solid 100+ on ultra with the same CPU and an R9 Fury. I don't remember the last time it struggled. Then again I don't remember last time I played with 64 players

Didn't know the PC got downgraded via the patch. I have been playing a fair bit after the latest patch and didn't notice anything different.

Not sure why but my 2500k at 4.7 GHz is hacking it real well. Does not go below 60 except for really rare occasions.

1080p, all Ultra except post-processing at medium and no TAA.

970 FTW, 16GB Dual Channel.

spk

Has anyone been able to maintain 120fps @ 1080?

Stock 4690k + GTX 1080 +16gb Changing settings or resolution barely matters, least not enough to hit the desired framerate. I'm dropping below 60 fairly often. I definitely wouldn't say it's averaging 90+

longdi

Banned
The picture quality is weird, there is some over sharpening and contrasty black crush going on with the latest PC version and nvidia drivers?

Otherwise the game seems to fly at ultra settings for me, no crash in 90 mins of play

Xyber

Has anyone been able to maintain 120fps @ 1080?

Stock 4690k + GTX 1080 +16gb Changing settings or resolution barely matters, least not enough to hit the desired framerate. I'm dropping below 60 fairly often. I definitely wouldn't say it's averaging 90+

On certain maps (to be more precise, in some areas of certain maps) you will be CPU bound, especially if you haven't overclocked.

I get drops to 80-90 with an i7 5820K@4.5GHz and enabling the performance graph in-game you can clearly see it's the CPU that is the limiting factor.

spk

On certain maps (to be more precise, in some areas of certain maps) you will be CPU bound, especially if you haven't overclocked.

I get drops to 80-90 with an i7 5820K@4.5GHz and enabling the performance graph in-game you can clearly see it's the CPU that is the limiting factor.

Overclocking to 4.5 helped slightly. I don't care what the game looks like but I guess 120 isn't happening

I have a stock i5 3570k, 8gb ram and a GTX 1070 (with a gsync monitor @ 1440p) and it's pretty rough and seems to have gotten rougher with the last few patches/driver updates. I get everywhere between 35 and 90 frames per second. Doesn't really seem to matter whether I have it set to high or ultra.

I get some new parts in today though, new mobo, i7 6700k and 32gb ram. Let's see if it makes much of a difference.

can anyone tell me whats the most cpu demanding feature is so I don't bottle neck my i5 6600k? It's ridiculous that it's getting bottlenecked and im dropping to sub 60 sometimes

whats the option to turn off that'll have the least impact on visuals and decrease cpu usage so i dont have fluctuating framerates depending on where im looking at
? (144hz monitor)

edit cpu is overclock to 4.5ghz

TheRed

can anyone tell me whats the most cpu demanding feature is so I don't bottle neck my i5 6600k? It's ridiculous that it's getting bottlenecked and im dropping to sub 60 sometimes

whats the option to turn off that'll have the least impact on visuals and decrease cpu usage so i dont have fluctuating framerates depending on where im looking at
? (144hz monitor)

edit cpu is overclock to 4.5ghz

I don't think there is much to do in settings, the game is just pretty demanding in 64 player modes with everything going on, though some maps are worse, possibly because of weather effects? Not sure but you can't change that in settings either if that was it.

Top Bottom