• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 PC Performance Thread

Why did they increase it on PC? The sharpening artifacts are needless at best, intolerable at worst. Bah.
I've seen a bunch of popular threads complaining about the TAA being blurry, they probably read that and added sharpening.
I doubt they are aware of it though, I sent a tweet to the Battlefield twitter about the sharpening but they probably wont notice that either :/

I've seen a bunch of popular threads complaining about the TAA being blurry, they probably read that and added sharpening.
I doubt they are aware of it though, I sent a tweet to the Battlefield twitter about the sharpening but they probably wont notice that either :/

You're honestly better pinging a dev that is active on Twitter about his/her work than the general PR Battlefield twitter.

I would have said Johan Andersson @repi for BF4 but he's on the general Frostbite engine team now, not Dice. He was very active on Twitter about his work and even had a gaf account.

jorimt

*Cringes* "blurry." Sigh. I know. However, most of what TAA covers is high-noise or over-sharpening that aliased images inherently have. What most are used to is this over-sharpness. And while I will admit TAA does introduce some softness (especially in motion), it isn't adding nearly as much as those crying "blur" think it does.

Anyway, I'm all for pre-sharpening, IF it's optional, and IF it doesn't introduce horrible halo artifacts. BF1 fails miserably at both. And the fact that the sharpening is double the strength of the console versions is ludicrous. Seeing as the PC version can run at a much higher resolution, you'd think, if anything, they would have made the console versions sharper. /rant

Again, access to those commands, a separate preset, or a slider would be great. Glad you attempted communication (I've documented the issue in detail on here and the official forum), but you're probably right in saying they'll ignore it. Time will tell...

Hylian7

kX6Dpwy.png

I have had this error and crashed twice today. The game runs just fine otherwise, here is my system.

Intel Core i5 2500k-Overclocked to 4.5GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GTX 770 2GB

Anyone have any insight on why I keep getting this?

kX6Dpwy.png

I have had this error and crashed twice today. The game runs just fine otherwise, here is my system.

16GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GTX 770 2GB

Maybe try using DDU to remove your NVIDIA drivers, then reinstalling your drivers?

Orion514

I got this game on Xbone with a bundle deal, but I cant stand the performance on console I don't think so I want to get this one on PC.

Should I expect at least 60+ fps with i7 4790k and 980Ti with gsync 1440p monitor?

Regginator

Motionblur at 50 (instead of 0) does wonders for me.

280x
i5 4670k
8gb RAM
Ultra preset. FOV Hor 90.
53+ fps.

~50 fps on Ultra preset with a 4670K/280X combo you say? Looks like my PC, 8GB as well. Sounds good.

Are there any relatively insignificant stuff you can lower to (Very) High for a very consistent 60?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is it me or is this game incredibly busted on a technical level? Everything runs fine for me when the game works - 75 FPS with everything on Ultra and DX11 enabled. However I can't finish a single operation because I get the DirectX crash to desktop towards the end of every single game. I was in a game earlier where we were literally 10 seconds from winning and I got the crash. Same thing with a defending game yesterday where it crashed on me at the same time that our armored train exploded. I've tried with both DX12 and DX11 and no dice.

This sucks because the only mode I really enjoy is Operations but the game won't let me complete a single one. I can play and finish Conquest games without any issues, but I don't really like that mode.

My rig:

i5-4690K 3.5GHz overclocked to 4.2GHz
ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
8GB RAM
Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4GB NITRO+ 4G with a slight overclock

Hylian7

Maybe try using DDU to remove your NVIDIA drivers, then reinstalling your drivers?

So far so good, I've also had a weird inconsistent framerate. Most of the time it's running at 60+ FPS on my setttings, even in heavy action, and then sometimes it just drops like crazy to the 20s. I also see this icon on the right of my screen all the time. What the hell is this?

z5olzVZ.png

dr_rus

BF1's TAA is top notch, can't even notice any blurring, just some ghosting usual for TAA implementations. So whatever they did with sharpening was a right call.

TF2's TSAA is unusable for me in comparison due to the amounts of blur it introduces.

So far so good, I've also had a weird inconsistent framerate. Most of the time it's running at 60+ FPS on my setttings, even in heavy action, and then sometimes it just drops like crazy to the 20s. I also see this icon on the right of my screen all the time. What the hell is this?

z5olzVZ.png

That's the low FPS icon.

I get it when I enable vsync; 61fps is counted as low already. Put the game on medium and you won't have problems.

z5olzVZ.png

Sudden extreme drops in fps, makes me think your issue is the 2GB of video ram.

low-G

That's the low FPS icon.

I get it when I enable vsync; 61fps is counted as low already. Put the game on medium and you won't have problems.

Hah, I always enable vsync and I saw it sometimes but didn't even see a frame drop. Glad to know the icon is just odd.

Jaagen

FX-4300 @ 4.2 GHz
16GB RAM
Radeon 7850 @ 2 GB

Getting as low as 24-ish FPS on large scale maps in conquest. 1920*1200 with everything set to low and 80% resolution scaling.

Perhaps it's time to get a new GPU and/or CPU.

Would a GTX 1050 suffice? Or should I just spend some more and get a 4GB RX 470 instead? I know that the 470 is the better card, but the price gap is pretty large where I live. Both cards are nowhere near MSRP.

Eggiem

~50 fps on Ultra preset with a 4670K/280X combo you say? Looks like my PC, 8GB as well. Sounds good.

Are there any relatively insignificant stuff you can lower to (Very) High for a very consistent 60?

Nope. Even Low preset = under 60fps.

My friend has an AMD 8350/280x and is getting less than 45 fps with some drops.

To conclude:
I'm more than happy with my rig, BUT maybe I'm just lucky.

BF1's TAA is top notch, can't even notice any blurring, just some ghosting usual for TAA implementations. So whatever they did with sharpening was a right call.

I think it's set a little too high, sharpening should be subtle or else it becomes too noticeable.
And since the resolution scaling option already does sharpen, it becomes too sharp when you combine it with TAA.

Here's a comparison gif between 4K DSR vs resolution scaling:

29907670543_58b6a0ee8b_o.gif

With resolution scaling the aliasing in the foliage is a lot more obvious, but with DSR it smooths out.
But that's just my personal preference, I'd be happy if they let us tweak it with a console command or something.

jorimt

TF2's TSAA is unusable for me in comparison due to the amounts of blur it introduces.

I don't mind sharpening, but what BF1's TAA has isn't sharpening, it's an edge-enhancement artifact (note the tank outline, foliage, gun sight, etc.):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=221004601&postcount=507

If you think that looks right, I'm not sure what else to tell you.

Bizarre, because my FPS definitely isn't low when I see it.

I was referring to the sudden drops to 20 you mentioned, not the low fps indicator. I've got that indicator with 90+ fps. I think it's just sensitive. A single longer than usual frametime might cause it to display.

jorimt

I discovered another interesting graphical issue thank to this post I found on the official forum:
https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/49726/weapon-glow-light-effect-seems-pixelated

Turns out, even on the Ultra preset, the screen space reflections are half-res. Setting "PostProcess.ScreenSpaceRaytraceFullresEnable 1" in the user.cfg file or in-game command console does appear to activate full resolution SSR, and at virtually no additional performance cost.

I tested the same area the OP did:

k9av.png

PostProcess.ScreenSpaceRaytraceFullresEnable 0

x1L8.png

PostProcess.ScreenSpaceRaytraceFullresEnable 1

I had noticed this artifacting before, along with the fact that consoles don't appear to have SSR at all, but I didn't know it was because SSR was rendering at half the resolution on PC.

Use at your own risk. I assume they don't have full-res SSR enabled at default for a reason, though I can't imagine why at this point. Go figure.

riflen

If anyone with a Broadwell-E CPU is getting a problem with GPU usage dropping after a round or so, then try disabling the Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 driver.

It's supposed to force single-threaded applications to use the best-performing CPU core, but I think in between rounds when loading the match, BF1 might behave in rather a single-threaded manner, causing this driver to interfere with the correct behaviour of the game. I found one core was sometimes pegged at 100% during gameplay and so GPU usage would plummet. I've had no problems since disabling the driver.

Denzar

z5olzVZ.png

My FPS are rock solid and this icon just keeps appearing. Driving me NUTS.

V-sync is enabled though.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
kX6Dpwy.png

16GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GTX 770 2GB

Welcome to my hell.

Here's a 150+ page thread about it.

Doesn't look like a fix is in sight. Most common with 770s (which is what I have too). I never once got the crash during BF4 though.

vocab

game runs worse from beta. 970 here. Any settings that are really demanding? That city map with the wet floor runs the worse.

Calabi

I discovered another interesting graphical issue thank to this post I found on the official forum:
https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/49726/weapon-glow-light-effect-seems-pixelated

Turns out, even on the Ultra preset, the screen space reflections are half-res. Setting "PostProcess.ScreenSpaceRaytraceFullresEnable 1" in the user.cfg file or in-game command console does appear to activate full resolution SSR, and at virtually no additional performance cost.

I tested the same area the OP did:

I had noticed this artifacting before, along with the fact that consoles don't appear to have SSR at all, but I didn't know it was because SSR was rendering at half the resolution on PC.

Use at your own risk. I assume they don't have full-res SSR enabled at default for a reason, though I can't imagine why at this point. Go figure.

Yeah I noticed that, the puddles reflections were horribly pixelated.

watchdog

I'm having a hell of a time playing the MP portion of this game. It's a stuttering mess. Aiming is incredibly difficult, as you could imagine, when you're view is stuttering like crazy. Here's what I'm currently gaming on:

i5 2500k
16GB RAM
GTX 1080

The Italy map (forget the name), is probably the worst when it comes to performance. I thought that maybe my CPU wasn't able to cut it anymore but the single player portion runs great without any stutter. I've tried messing with the graphics settings but there seems to be no improvement. Anyone else have a similar setup and have the same problem?

Hylian7

I'm having a hell of a time playing the MP portion of this game. It's a stuttering mess. Aiming is incredibly difficult, as you could imagine, when you're view is stuttering like crazy. Here's what I'm currently gaming on:

i5 2500k
16GB RAM
GTX 1080

The Italy map (forget the name), is probably the worst when it comes to performance. I thought that maybe my CPU wasn't able to cut it anymore but the single player portion runs great without any stutter. I've tried messing with the graphics settings but there seems to be no improvement. Anyone else have a similar setup and have the same problem?

If I can run it at 60+ FPS, you absolutely can. A few things to try.

1. Disable Origin overlay. That fixed some of those types of problems as well as crashes. I don't know why that stupid thing is so terrible.
2. Get DDU and uninstall and reinstall your drivers completely: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Both of these fixed my issues. I'm guessing you probably have it where whether there is intense action or not, your performance is very inconsistent. Sometimes you're in the 20s while nothing is going on and other times you're over 60 when everything is happening at once.

Smilax

You think i'll be able to run this game on Medium Settings constant 60fps?

I am not overclocking by the way.

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z170X-UD3

Processor : Intel Core i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

RAM : 16 GB

Operating System : Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit

Vitor711

Anyone know which settings are the most CPU intensive? Got a 1080 paired with an 15-4690k at 4.0GHz and feeling a few drops due to the latter. Wouldn't mind dropping a setting or two to keep it above 60FPS even during big dips.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I get such fantastic performance with my i5-6500 and 1060 6GB at 1680x1050. I exclusively play 64-player Operations and my framerate hovers between 80-100 on most maps regardless of activity levels. Only a handful of times did I notice my fps dip to the 50s.

You think i'll be able to run this game on Medium Settings constant 60fps?

I am not overclocking by the way.

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z170X-UD3

Processor : Intel Core i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

RAM : 16 GB

Operating System : Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit

You'll probably get close to ultra at 60 fps at 1080p.

kendrid

Banned
i5 6600
16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM
GTX 1060 6GB

I play at 2560x1440 and the game runs at 60fps locked and has never dipped in any game mode with everything at auto (most settings are Ultra).

Before I had a i7 920, 12GB RAM and the same 1060 6GB and in the beta I got 60 FPS but with everything on low settings.

b0bbyJ03

anyone else having an issue with DDU? When I run it it seems to work, and when I reboot and come out of safe mode in the past the resolution would always be low until I installed the new driver. Well I noticed that when I run it now, once im back into normal mode instead of staying at a low resolution it comes back to 1440p. I right click and see the NVP, which is typically gone after using DDU and noticed that it only removed the current version of the Nvidia driver but brought me back to an older one. If I run it again it just keeps the older driver instead of completely removing it. Anyone else have this issue?

watchdog

If I can run it at 60+ FPS, you absolutely can. A few things to try.

1. Disable Origin overlay. That fixed some of those types of problems as well as crashes. I don't know why that stupid thing is so terrible.
2. Get DDU and uninstall and reinstall your drivers completely: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Both of these fixed my issues. I'm guessing you probably have it where whether there is intense action or not, your performance is very inconsistent. Sometimes you're in the 20s while nothing is going on and other times you're over 60 when everything is happening at once.

Thanks for the suggestions. The issue that you described is accurate. I have the Origin overlay disabled already. I'll try using DDU to uninstall and reinstall my drivers. I'll report back with my findings later.

chiliboy

Hey all!

2 questions:

1 = has anyone else noticed strange CPU usage in this game? The game is maxing my i7 4790k 4.4ghz (and GTX 1080) on all threads, which other games never have done. Im getting higher temps in this game than in lintest and similar cpu tests :S
I have capped fps, use Gsync monitor, no vsync, performance / energy settings in windows 7 and in Nvidia control panel are set correctly, I have all the latest runtimes - I have also tried running all on low and all on ultra, always the same :S so strange!

2 = anyone have any good tips for try harding visuals / settings? I have all set on low but ultra mesh quality, no AA, no hbao, resolution scale 150 % on 1080p. Uniform aim is on, raw input on.

Ryde3

Hey all!

2 questions:

1 = has anyone else noticed strange CPU usage in this game? The game is maxing my i7 4790k 4.4ghz (and GTX 1080) on all threads, which other games never have done. Im getting higher temps in this game than in lintest and similar cpu tests :S
I have capped fps, use Gsync monitor, no vsync, performance / energy settings in windows 7 and in Nvidia control panel are set correctly, I have all the latest runtimes - I have also tried running all on low and all on ultra, always the same :S so strange!

2 = anyone have any good tips for try harding visuals / settings? I have all set on low but ultra mesh quality, no AA, no hbao, resolution scale 150 % on 1080p. Uniform aim is on, raw input on.

Ya my 4690k runs at basically 100% with this game, doesn't seem to impact anything too much but I blame all stutters on it... pretty weird.

Top Bottom