• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
but I never had the skills on kb/m. I think playing so many hundreds of hours of bc2 trained my brain a certain way and I couldn't adapt.

I feel that way in BC2 (where the default controls are just plain bad) but BF3? Nah, son. It's like a duck taking to water no matter the platform for that one.

Noisepurge said:
quickly press and hold R1 to cook it.

That doesn't "cook" it like CoD-kiddies want. That just sets it up to let you throw it like the PC 5->mouse-aim->Mouse 1-throw does.

I might return. I wonder what platform. Since I'm back in school I have less time. If you all are getting it on PS4 I'll get it on that instead of PC. I do miss playing with you guys. I don't really own a PS3 anymore since my old one broke, but I'll be getting a PS4 and I have a good PC Rig.

I wonder hows JM been. He was my VIP squadmate.

Jm is alive and well

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm curious - one of the things that's frustrated me about BF3 is the ability for fully upgraded air and/or tank unit to wreck havoc on the field. Generally, the folks that have access to these fully upgraded units have more time to dedicate to gaming than I do; it's a bit frustrating finding a BF3 game that doesn't feel weighted against newer players (or players who don't dedicate the majority of their playing time to the game).

Has Dice said anything about - anything BF4 related - that might address my concern?

Thanks

Hmmm, so tempted to do the digital upgrade path for $10 on PSN, but kinda want to experience it next gen right off the bat. Choices, choices, choices....

Fracas

#fuckonami
Nice OP dude!

Might rent it on 360 the next couple of weekends to get used to everything before the PS4 version drops.

meshwork

I'm curious - one of the things that's frustrated me about BF3 is the ability for fully upgraded air and/or tank unit to wreck havoc on the field. Generally, the folks that have access to these fully upgraded units have more time to dedicate to gaming than I do; it's a bit frustrating finding a BF3 game that doesn't feel weighted against newer players (or players who don't dedicate the majority of their playing time to the game).

Has Dice said anything about - anything BF4 related - that might address my concern?

Thanks

I can't remember where I read about it (might have been a video by lvlcap), but I'm pretty sure DICE addressed this issue by unlocking certain attachments and upgrades by default. Most weapons should have at least one scope and grip by default, and air vehicles for example have IR flares available without having to unlock anything.

TheSeks

and air vehicles for example have IR flares available without having to unlock anything.

They did that change in BF3. Doesn't matter once pro-pilots put in the work and have everything equipped while you only have those flares.

meshwork

They did that change in BF3. Doesn't matter once pro-pilots put in the work and have everything equipped while you only have those flares.

Oh balls, never mind then. I never learned to fly any of the air vehicles in BF3 so I wouldn't know. I'll change that in BF4 now that there's an actual practice level for them.

Blutonium

Thanks

The beta gave me the impression the vehicles are MUCH easier to take down - but they're still powerful. If I remember correctly the beta changelog adressed this issue slightly, but vehicles should still be easy to take down - easier than BF3 at least.

Every issue I had with BF3 has been adressed though. As much as I loved 3, BF4 is feels like a vastly better game, improving on nearly every aspect.

TheSeks

Oh balls, never mind then. I never learned to fly any of the air vehicles in BF3 so I wouldn't know. I'll change that in BF4 now that there's an actual practice level for them.

It'll help against lock-ons like Stinger/IGLA's and heatseakers but most jets are gonna main-gun burst-fire on you now a days if they've been playing a long time. They'll make you panic and throw flares out only to then heatseaker you (or open you up to Stinger/IGLA from ground) or the Javelin with SOFLAM options will take you out.

It really should be ECM and Flares unlocked both by default or at least the first two unlocks to where you have the option of the better flares after scratching up the points.

Keasar

Thanks

In the beta vehicles and classes came with a set of upgrades in every slot from the start. Like fighters start with flares and missiles from the get go. Helicopters the same with zoom for the gunner. So you are fully decked out from the start but have to unlock the rest to customize your load out.

TheSeks

What if it's good tho

What if

After BF3? I got no hope of it being good. It'd have to have a Mirror's Edge Parkour Dance Number for me to even care about the single-player at this point.

Some guys over at overclock.net did some testing with Intel's CPU's with HT (Hyper Threading) with results with HT on and off. Looks like those of us with i7's (Me =3770k@4.4ghz) made a wise choice in ignoring the slew of peeps saying it was a waste of money, yada, yada, yada and so on. ...just about everyone just 8 months to 12 months ago even to this day actually were saying getting a 3770k/4770k over a 3570k/4570k was/is a huge waste of money...my personal argument was "next gen" games "might" just make good use of those extra threads so i ignored all the hasty opinions and bought myself a 3770k 8 months ago...low and behold, seems if this trend continues the "extra threads" will indeed be worth that extra bit of cash....peep the info below....i am soooo happy i went with my own opinion instead of going by the he said/she said drama about the i5s vs i7s

From Overclockers.net - here is a direct link to this overlockers.net thread here http://www.overclock.net/t/1433904/...-with-ht-enabled-vs-disabled-on-battlefield-4

Now with some data:
PART 2 - Hyper threading vs non-hyper threading

This was quite simple to do and the reason I did it was because I was asked to try and see if those extra 4 threads made any difference.
To simply disable HT - I went into the BIOS and disabled HT on my I7 3770k - thus effectively rendering it an I5 3570k at heart - as pretty much the only difference between the two CPU's, those extra 4 threads.

NOTE: GPU before starting and within the game HT is ON: Huge dips is me ALT+TABing
Before:

Again, All the benchmarks here http://www.overclock.net/t/1433904/...-with-ht-enabled-vs-disabled-on-battlefield-4 and below are just a few samples of the OP's results at overclockers.net

With HT ENABLED:
900x900px-LL-16e174c8_2.png

With HT DISABLED:

900x900px-LL-d34bc21c_HTOFF.png

WINDOWS 7 vs WINDOWS 8
Another nitpick of mine are all the Windows 8 haters..again..everyone saying Windows 8 was garbage for gaming,etc,etc even before next gen games started to come out...well look below..seems Windows 8 IS INDEED BETTER than Windows 7 in terms of newer upcoming games..and yet again i ignored all the blatant opinions on Windows 8 in which a TON of people were saying avoid it like a plague,etc...my gut feeling was telling me Windows 8 would more than likely benefit with next gen games..and from the testing thus far it will!....And again...soooo happy i went with my own opinion instead of going by the he said/she said drama about Win 8 being junk for gaming.
900x900px-LL-45fe07a9_1.png

Nice! Thanks for this!

I'm going to check it out as soon as BF4 is out.

What if it's good tho

What if

The only one that had a reasonable campaign was BC1.

I don't mind DICE concentrating on giving that spinoff some dedicated single player. Because it has a good cast of characters and atmosphere.

But it's wasted on the mainland titles.

Seanspeed

Banned
....i am soooo happy i went with my own opinion instead of going by the he said/she said drama about the i5s vs i7s

Another nitpick of mine are all the Windows 8 haters..again..everyone saying Windows 8 was garbage for gaming,etc,etc even before next gen games started to come out...well look below..seems Windows 8 IS INDEED BETTER than Windows 7 in terms of newer upcoming games

Its just one game. I'm glad you've found some happiness with your choice, though.

Overdoziz

Banned
So what's the deal with suppression? Did they get rid of that mechanic all together?
It's still in the game, but only sniper rifles and light machine guns suppress people. It also doesn't make your bullets go in random directions anymore, it just makes your weapon sway a bit which you can adjust for.
I pretty much ignored sniper rifles in BF3 because of how bad sniping in that game is with suppression, but I absolutely loved using those rifles in the BF4 beta. Never really noticed any suppression.

It's still in the game, but only sniper rifles and light machine guns suppress people. It also doesn't make your bullets go in random directions anymore, it just makes your weapon sway a bit which you can adjust for.
I pretty much ignored sniper rifles in BF3 because of how bad sniping in that game is with suppression, but I absolutely loved using those rifles in the BF4 beta. Never really noticed any suppression.

Yeah I booted up BF3 after the Beta closed recently and it hit me just how awful the suppression is. Especially when sniping, you can watch through the scope as your bullet practically flies three metres to the right of where you aimed, with a bipod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom