• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

CatPee

Dreamgazer said:
I'm adjusting.
Love that last grenade that killed olimpia and dan :p
Most annoying bug for me right now is the :
  • Random orange/white flashes.
    [*]Rare occurance of dark navy blue tint on screen (won't go away unless I die)
  • sinking into the ground.

Other than that, the clunkiness of pulling out guns and equipment is annoying.
Also what's the point of asking me if I want to accept revive or not if I get revived anyway?

Sad that this is feeling nowhere as good as the bc2 beta & demo.
Still buying day 1...but...

Will go away if you hit Start to pause and then unpause.

Ocho

Dreamgazer said:
I'm adjusting.
Love that last grenade that killed olimpia and dan :p
Most annoying bug for me right now is the :
  • Random orange/white flashes.
    [*]Rare occurance of dark navy blue tint on screen (won't go away unless I die)
  • sinking into the ground.

Other than that, the clunkiness of pulling out guns and equipment is annoying.
Also what's the point of asking me if I want to accept revive or not if I get revived anyway?

Sad that this is feeling nowhere as good as the bc2 beta & demo.
Still buying day 1...but...

Press start and it should fix it. EDIT: beat

Man, after seeing all those PC videos, the game looks like garbage on the PS3. We really need next gen consoles. :(

My first impressions: definitively more call of duty, a lot of glitches, why can't I follow a gaffer con squad, the graphics zomg so bad. :(

It's okay, had a nice game with marvelassassin afterward.

Then...I start seeing attackers camp radio beacons lol.

I'm not sure why, the game just doesn't feel very...team based.

Is there even a point to ammo boxes?
people drop so fast that I hardly ever run out of ammo (before I drop, that is.)
Maybe things will change when vehicles come along, but...

JJD

Oh God! I'm seeing some Caspian Border PC footage...

I need PS4, Xbox720 now!!!

I'm seriously considering building a gaming PC. Fortunately money isn't an issue, but I don't even have a place to put it...damn what should I do???

Nvidia's new GPU line is coming this year?

Calion

Dr Prob said:
T8u2m.jpg

You know that wall in front of you can be taken out completely? I love it. It takes gardening to a new level.

I've completely adjusted and really enjoying it besides the horrendous glitches.

1stStrike

Banned
I joined for a couple games on PS3 after that shit finally finished downloading. I joined Dream's game, but ended up on the other team (of course) vs him and wes with some randoms. We didn't do too bad overall, but HOLY SHIT after coming from several hours on the PC to the PS3 - fuck the console controls and graphics. The game looks so shitty, and controls so terribly, compared to the PC... man, it was painful.

I haven't played a Battlefield on PC till now, but I'll be playing PC primarily I think. It's just so much better all around. I'll probably end up picking up the PS3 version if all you guys I played with before stick to it, but if you have a PC capable of running BF3 I highly advise you to go for the superior choice this time around.

1stStrike said:
I joined for a couple games on PS3 after that shit finally finished downloading. I joined Dream's game, but ended up on the other team (of course) vs him and wes with some randoms. We didn't do too bad overall, but HOLY SHIT after coming from several hours on the PC to the PS3 - fuck the console controls and graphics. The game looks so shitty, and controls so terribly, compared to the PC... man, it was painful.

I haven't played a Battlefield on PC till now, but I'll be playing PC primarily I think. It's just so much better all around. I'll probably end up picking up the PS3 version if all you guys I played with before stick to it, but if you have a PC capable of running BF3 I highly advise you to go for the superior choice this time around.

I'm hoping that the final release will be better.

Oh btw, it was nice killing you from behind again. :)

57/39 MVP, 2lv up, 6.0 w/l WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Radio beacon seriously need some fixing though.
I literally spawn on top of 3 enemies and killed them all.
Then there is radio camping.

1stStrike

Banned
Dreamgazer said:
I'm hoping that the final release will be better.

Oh btw, it was nice killing you from behind again. :)

57/39 MVP, 2lv up, 6.0 w/l WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Radio beacon seriously need some fixing though.
I literally spawn on top of 3 enemies and killed them all.
Then there is radio camping.

I'm seriously hoping the release version doesn't look like that. When I saw the water in the beginning of metro I was just like "Are you fucking serious? These textures are from 2003."

Here's what it looks like on the PC (and the max you can go is high right now on graphics settings):

3sdx1.jpg

And, yeah, I'm glad I was able to provide you some easy kills :p Though, I got some in myself ;)

Dr Prob

Banned
Calion82v said:
You know that wall in front of you can be taken out completely? I love it. It takes gardening to a new level.

I've completely adjusted and really enjoying it besides the horrendous glitches.

Yeah, the wall next to "B" (think it's B, sometimes the objectives both show up as A. anyway, the one on the left if you're facing the attacker's spawn) at the third set can be destroyed too.

The C4 feels great, unfortunately deploying it crashes the 360 half the time so I'm hesitant to see what else you can blow up inside the station.

Really enjoying it too despite initially feeling exactly like Evolved. It's like anything else, when you've become accustomed to one thing (in this case BC2) any changes to the formula tend to be jarring, and Metro doesn't seem like the ideal map to acclimate onself as the tunnels can be something of a clusterfuck.

Caspian looks like some proper battlefield shit though.

1stStrike

Banned
CatPee said:
I managed to score a ~$720 solo GTX570/possible ~$900 SLI570 build, so looks like I'll be joining the master race soon.

Nice! I'm running a overclocked 460 GTX which is still serving me well, but I'll probably upgrade in another year or so.

Evolved1 said:
I love how when you're sprinting and you glitch against some geometry it kills your sprint... and you have to left off the stick and press it down and forward to start running again.

Awesome.

That only killed me about half a dozen times. Trying to like this but the more I play the less I want to.

True, at first i thought i ran out of stamina and had to slow down so i could run again. So frustrating when i realized the game is just glitching :D

Dreamgazer said:
  • Rare occurance of dark navy blue tint on screen (won't go away unless I die)

You can reset this by going to the menu with Start and then returning to the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
i tried to play today, but i couldn't connect... so i played BC2 instead and all i could think about on every map was how much more campy they would be with prone!

Yeah, that's my main worry about prone. Having people camp.

Here's what it looks like on the PC (and the max you can go is high right now on graphics settings):

Now direct capture PS3.

In any case, if you're worried about textures, you're doing it wrong. You should be worrying about trolling the enemy team into submission with C4.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Played 5 minutes and then it crashed.
But those 5 minutes were awesome! The join option doesnt seem to work.

olimpia84

They need to fix the voice communication in this game, I could barely hear dan and evolved. I also noticed that communication through a headset is not limited to your squad anymore...I wonder if this is some kind of bug or they will keep this in the final version. I think I'll enjoy this feature to yell at randoms not doing anything. Another issue is when my guys stops running...this bugs the crap out of me because I'm always moving (LW perk in BC2 is my baby) and I doubt they implemented some sort of stamina because my guy sometimes won't start running at all. They also need to fix grenade throwing, right now it's completely bullshit.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ill be playing tonight and all weeked.
See you there Olimpia!

1stStrike said:
I'm seriously hoping the release version doesn't look like that. When I saw the water in the beginning of metro I was just like "Are you fucking serious? These textures are from 2003."

It looks pretty bad on consoles, but I'm assuming it's because the beta is compressed and the
final version will look alot better. I remember this was an issue with the BC2 beta and the textures looked noticeably better when it released.

1stStrike

Banned
TheSeks said:
In any case, if you're worried about textures, you're doing it wrong. You should be worrying about trolling the enemy team into submission with C4.

While it's true that the quality of the graphics did bother me, the main reason is because everything looks so terrible that it becomes difficult to see the enemy and where you're being shot from. I can see everything clearly on PC.

olimpia84 said:
They need to fix the voice communication in this game, I could barely hear dan and evolved. I also noticed that communication through a headset is not limited to your squad anymore...I wonder if this is some kind of bug or they will keep this in the final version. I think I'll enjoy this feature to yell at randoms not doing anything. Another issue is when my guys stops running...this bugs the crap out of me because I'm always moving (LW perk in BC2 is my baby) and I doubt they implemented some sort of stamina because my guy sometimes won't start running at all. They also need to fix grenade throwing, right now it's completely bullshit.

They have proximity chat enabled, so if you're nearby someone else you can hear them.

computers putin' said:
It looks pretty bad on consoles, but I'm assuming it's because the beta is compressed and the
final version will look alot better. I remember this was an issue with the BC2 beta and the textures looked noticeably better when it released.

Yeah, if I remember correctly from the beta BC2 looked like crap too, so hopefully it looks a lot better. While I would rather chill in my living room with the big screen tv playing BF3, so far the PC has been the superior experience for me and is what I'm planning on buying day 1 right now.

Ocho

1stStrike said:
While it's true that the quality of the graphics did bother me, the main reason is because everything looks so terrible that it becomes difficult to see the enemy and where you're being shot from. I can see everything clearly on PC.

This. :(

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I have no problem with how the game looks... as long as it runs well.

What's with the fucking freezing? I mean in BC2 you'll get the freeze sometimes after you spawn because it's "saving" the new kit you just switched to. But in BF3 I'm getting these freezes sometimes 15-20 seconds after I spawn. Almost every time I spawn there's a couple seconds it locks up, seemingly randomly.

Anyway... I'll be on as much as I can next couple days. Have family visiting, though, so that makes things tricky, might have my mic off most of the time. (some of you probably happy to hear that lol)

This morning I took a major exam in my oceanography class, and thought I was in trouble since I put off studying for gaf/beta, but it worked out fine anyway, I'm smart and shit. *smug.gif*

In fact while I was supposed to be thinking about haloclines, pycnoclines, thermoclines, and all the different kinds of clines... I was actually thinking about how much I HATE UNLOCKS!!!!!!!!

Priorities man.

olimpia84

^ Yeah, I forgot how annoying the "Saving" screen is this time around. They better fix this shit for the full game.

I also noticed that most likely GAF won't be steamrolling no more. When we made that one team rage-quit after we beat them for 4 or 5 rounds the game split the squads and some gaffers went into the other team. IMO this is a welcome addition to keep games going.

Evolved1

olimpia84 said:
^ Yeah, I forgot how annoying the "Saving" screen is this time around. They better fix this shit for the full game.

I also noticed that most likely GAF won't be steamrolling no more. When we made that one team rage-quit after we beat them for 4 or 5 rounds the game split the squads and some gaffers went into the other team. IMO this is a welcome addition to keep games going.

Well... we haven't fully explored or implemented platoons. I imagine once that's up and running there will be some kind of server check to keep us together.

JJD

olimpia84 said:

I'm having all kinds of voice communication problems. I was worried that my headset might be broken. I usually can't hear anyone, be from my squad or not. Catpee said that he could hear me fine on those matches that we played against you guys. I'm glad to know that it's probably a beta bug too!

Evolved1 said:
Well... we haven't fully explored or implemented platoons. I imagine once that's up and running there will be some kind of server check to keep us together.

I think if everyone runs with the GAF clan tag the platoons squads won't be split after a game...

Edit: That's exactly what you said! I wasn't aware that platoons are BF3 version of clans!

meppi

Hmm, just when I thought I was getting used to the controls, I realize that when the heat is on and I have to make a split second quick scope SV98 kill or I'll be dead, the controls screw me over... :(

Hate the momentum crap that's going on.

Sure, I could adapt and play it differently.
Tried it out and ended up on top with little effort and a score of +4000 before and 9000+ after bonuses.
The problem is that I don't want to play the game like that.
Having to be more cautious of the moves I make and basically use a lot more camping techniques to get ahead is just not my thing.

Certainly not gonna cancel my 3 PS3 preorders I have going or anything, but I sure am worried that I'll end up not liking the game nearly as much as BC2.

CatPee

Holy shit. Brightness dialed down a bit = giant difference. Feels like they shoved in the contrast into that setting.

Seems like a classic case of shitty standard settings, like BC2.

Jas

CatPee said:
Holy shit. Brightness dialed down a bit = giant difference. Feels like they shoved in the contrast into that setting.

Seems like a classic case of shitty standard settings, like BC2.

First thing I did when I booted up the game on PS3. It had a very washed out look, dialing it down definitely helped.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What? The insides of buildings like the lighthouse are TOO DAMN DARK even on normal default settings. :/

No_Style

My bro and I got into a game with a core team of randoms and we were tearing it up. Awesome defense and even more potent offense.

After you arm an MCOM, I love how the match continues despite the ticket count going to zero. It's like the final play of the match with 0:00 on the clock.

P.S - Apologies to not accepting invites or failing to join. It's tough enough to get in a match with other folks on my friends list, that I didn't want to let go to waste.

Additional edit:

I recall the BFBC2 beta being a teamwork-less as well. Especially with Recons, their gillie suits and mortar strikes.

Az

Tried to join Evolved last night but froze on me when I got in. Also Wes and I tried paying together but kept putting us on opposite teams so we just went and played BC2 for a bit.

Looks like I haven't lost my touch for this, just sometimes I wish I can talk to the whole team to yell at people not watching MComs. Oh well, hopefully a patch will improve a few* things.

*many

1stStrike

Banned
I'll wait to see how things go on PS3 after release, but sticking with PC for now. However, Dark Souls comes out on the 4th of October so... yeah... I doubt I'll be playing anything else for a while.

Oh and teamwork on the PC is generally horrid too right now. I usually get frustrated due to this and rage quit. It's to the point where I can only stand playing with non-gaffers for an hour or two at the most due to how terrible randoms play.

olimpia84

I've gotten better at the controls but I still prefer BC2. I'm trying to figure out why they decided to replace one of the best features from BC2 (the controls)...

Anyways, got accepted into the GAF platoon. Add me as friend if you wish.

Ugh, I don't think I'll be playing the beta anytime soon. This whole PC upgrade process is taking forever. Some parts haven't arrived yet and it looks like I'm gonna get a bigger monitor (24in.)

Jas

JJD said:
I've just signed up for the Gaf platoon!
Just did the same... DanZim78=ejas feel free to add me. My EA account on PS3 is tied to an old junk mail account I have.
I need to merge it with my PC account one of these days.

Evolved1

Unbearable lag today... and I'm still pissed about these controls.

Evolved1

Sorry guys. BF3 is a huge POS with ruined controls and I won't be buying retail or playing this beta anymore.

Can remove me from the platoon and your friend's lists if you need space, since I won't be accepting invites.

I'll still be on BC2 once in a while I guess.

But not BF3. The game is garbage. Per weapon unlocks, stupid fucking flastlights and laser pointers, glitchy everything, ruined squad support, and worst of all they completely fucked the controls. I'm done. Vehicles can't save this mess. And I'm sure they'll be terribly balanced as well.

Add DICE to the long list of shooter developers who get me hooked and then fuck up the formula with each successive game.

CatPee

So who wants to start a bet group on when Evolved caves in and jumps on the BF3 bandwagon after everybody raves about the retail release?

Evolved1

CatPee said:
So who wants to start a bet group on when Evolved caves in and jumps on the BF3 bandwagon after everybody raves about the retail release?

I hope (for everyone) the game is good. I just don't see them addressing my issues with it... so whatever. The beta is a joke. I have no confidence for retail. I'm tired of wasting money.

meppi

Well it's true. The controls are fucked.

Unlocked the x4 scope for the PP2000 and when there are enemies at a 100meter range from me, I find it nearly impossible to land consecutive hits on them when they are barely moving. Never mind when they are riunning.

Also when out of ammo and I switch to my pistol, for some reason most of the time the sensitivity of just this sidearm seems to set to 1/10th of how it normally handles. :-/

Such a mess...

Soma

Evolved1 said:
Unbearable lag today... and I'm still pissed about these controls.
I've been getting this so much. I feel like my soldier is like half a second behind everyone else and I'm losing like 80% of confrontations even if I get the drop on some people. I'll get hitmarkers but on the killcam it's always 100% for them. I don't understand how people are able to drop me with an M9 pistol in under a second.

I'm still doing fairly decent I guess but I feel like I have to compensate for that lag all the time and it's frustrating.

I dunno if it's my internet here or what. I've never had this problem for BC2. I hope this isn't the same for retail.

Top Bottom