• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

No_Style

Aside from control glitches (sprint & ADS failure), I really don't understand the controls complaints. It's the best DICE have ever implemented in my opinion.

The only theory I can fathom is that some folks have BC2 controls too ingrained.

meppi

Not really.

If the controls were somehow an improvement I would be singing their praises without question.
It was the first thing I did actually when I jumped from KZ2 to BC2 instead of KZ3.
Even though I needed quite some time to adjust to the overall gameplay and tactics, the controls of BC2 clicked from the very first second, which is something I'm still in awe by.

Sure I needed to learn how to handle the different weapons and all their little quips, but they all react instantly.
If you need to be precise, they certainly won't work against you.
If you need to be lightning fast, they do that to perfection as well.

So far, in BF3, none of these points feel as good as they did in BC2.
It's probably by design and I have heard several people compare them to a blatant copy of MOH, something I can't comment on myself.
But if that's correct, it sure as hell is a big step backwards in that regard.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
MoH wasn't a step backwards in terms of controls. It was BC2 but with no destruction. For what is based on the Frostbite engine (that's main selling point is destruction!) that was the hugest disappointment (besides the smaller maps for death match) of MoH's beta for me.

The gunplay was okay. Not great, but passable.

I got adjusted to the controls fairly quickly. Took some time to adjust but I also had to adjust with BC2 as well.

Though the beta has been annoying, i still enjoy it and believe I'll still get it(day 1 I'm not certain though). I would like to see a big list of everything they plan to add/fix/nerf/change or whatever after this beta is done.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
"controls" is probably too generic a word to serve any real purpose in this discussion... so to be more specific, my issue (and meppi's as well, if we're on the same page) is with the aim control. Something to do with acceleration in the sticks that wasn't present in BC2.

It's terrible. But I could understand how some people aren't bothered by it, since it's prevalent in so many games these days. CoD, Resistance, Killzone, and many others. The reason I play BC2 is because it's not those other games. The reason I stuck with it for so long despite some of its major issues, was because the game feels like butter. Aiming control, the right stick, is perfectly smooth.

It's not anymore. It's been molested.

the aim acceleration is awesome to me, but then again, i almost always play games with max analog movement and got used to it pretty fast... seriously, Red Faction II on Xbox is the only game i can remember where i played it and was like "WHOA, MAX IS TOO FAST!"

Evolved1

If you played Kane and Lynch on 360... the developers had the analog settings fully customizable in the options menu. Not just this sensitivity crap every dev does, but the actual meat and potatoes. There were like 10 settings you could tinker with. You could even adjust speeds for hipfire vs down the sights... it was genius. I was able to make that game actually playable.

Why is this so fucking hard for other devs to do?

Shit should be standard. Unfortunately it isn't and I find BF3 nearly unplayable. I know my skill level, and when I should walk out of an encounter the winner. But the sticks kill me more than anything else (flashlights are a close second though).

The Faceless Master said:
the aim acceleration is awesome to me, but then again, i almost always play games with max analog movement and got used to it pretty fast... seriously, Red Faction II on Xbox is the only game i can remember where i played it and was like "WHOA, MAX IS TOO FAST!"

Me too. call me an oddball, but I prefer MoH and BF3's beta controls to BC2

meppi

Evolved1 said:
"controls" is probably too generic a word to serve any real purpose in this discussion... so to be more specific, my issue (and meppi's as well, if we're on the same page) is with the aim control. Something to do with acceleration in the sticks that wasn't present in BC2.
Yeah, we're talking about the exact same thing.
Weird how it's brought up so little. Perhaps it's just because I don't play every shooter under the sun as I dislike them for the most part. I honestly don't know. :-/

The controls of the character are spot on. The jumping does feel weird, but I guess that's just a minor thing that won't cause any major problems. Unless they forget to fix the issue of you not being able to jump over objects in a sideways fashion.
That could be a major issue.

Basically, the aim feels off. Sure if might feel more like other games, but that's the problem then. Doesn't matter if you aim from the hip or down the sights, something isn't quite right.

Dreamgazer said:
Steamrolling on bc2 with meppi and rock.

When I switched backed from BF3 beta to BC3 I was like "hmm this feels fast!" lol
Those sure were some fun games. ;)
Starting to get the hang of using the AT4 without scoping in.

To bad you didn't stay for the Isla defense round. Most left, only rock stayed.
I literally lost count of how many choppers I downed there, but to make it easy I would just have to say: all of them! :D
Rock was feeding me ammo all the time as I ran out of rockets faster than you normally empty a clip.

BF3 sure has a long way to go to before it's going to be this much fun.
I'm still hopeful it'll get there as the flashes of brilliance are there for sure.
Just wish they would let us choose the aiming options between COD/MOH style and BC2 style. :(

The weird part is that when coming back to BC2 it only takes about 30 seconds to slip right back into the controls, which certainly wasn't the case when I tried to get back into either KZ2 or 3.

What do you guys have your audio set on? War tapes seem to not be as good as it was in BC2. It sounds a bit lower for some reason and I can't hear my player movement that much. I switch to hi-fi and it sounds better. the overall game still sounds really good though. At times it feels like somethings missing.

nevermind. sound is much better now. speakers weren't all the way in. Sound always seemed a bit off even though good if that makes sense.

olimpia84

I already got used to the acceleration being faster (in some respects it makes the game easier, specially when sniping from afar) but BC2's gunplay feels more solid imo.
I did finally notice that hit detection was vastly improved, so that is a welcome 'feature'.

Massa

Evolved1 said:
Sorry guys. BF3 is a huge POS with ruined controls and I won't be buying retail or playing this beta anymore.

Can remove me from the platoon and your friend's lists if you need space, since I won't be accepting invites.

I'll still be on BC2 once in a while I guess.

But not BF3. The game is garbage. Per weapon unlocks, stupid fucking flastlights and laser pointers, glitchy everything, ruined squad support, and worst of all they completely fucked the controls. I'm done. Vehicles can't save this mess. And I'm sure they'll be terribly balanced as well.

Add DICE to the long list of shooter developers who get me hooked and then fuck up the formula with each successive game.

This is exactly how I feel about this game. I already moved my pre-order to Batman.

TheSeks

Oh, come on, it can't be that bad. :/

Played a little Battlefield Heroes today because I was bored. Had some fun playing the Commando/Spy class like the Team Fortress 2 Spy. But the poisoned blade isn't put on the weapon itself. WTF. Having to fumble to activate the ability is stupid. :/

At least it's better than Play 4 Free.

Evolved1

TheSeks said:
Oh, come on, it can't be that bad. :/

Well I'm not buying the game... in fact I went and moved my money over to Skyrim earlier today. It'll take a fucking miracle
Mirror's Edge 2
for me to give anything from DICE a second look in the foreseeable future.

Sucks that you're not getting it evolved. I still have faith that the final product won't be disappointing. I hope i'll be as entertained with this game as I was with BC2.

I am sick and fucking tired of not being able to connect to EA Online. This is how a billion-dollar company supports its games, by dropping servers? It's been this same shit for weeks now. My only option to guarantee a connection is to get on in the afternoon and leave my 360 on until I can start playing at night. I just spent 80 minutes trying to connect. I tried all the supposed tricks, which I'm sure only work coincidentally anyway, and then spent 45 minutes repeatedly spamming the Retry button. Nothing. Ridiculous. It's a waste of my money to buy EA games if I can't play them online.

looks like the #1 reason people i know are giving BF3 a wait-and-see isn't anything to do with graphical glitches, geometry bugs, higher damage, prone, per-weapon/vehicle unlocks, terrible map or blinding lasers and flashlights.

the #1 reason is they can't consistently play on the same side with friends due to auto-balance constantly breaking up the group, and that's unacceptable.

Nabs

looks like the #1 reason people i know are giving BF3 a wait-and-see isn't anything to do with graphical glitches, geometry bugs, higher damage, prone, per-weapon/vehicle unlocks, terrible map or blinding lasers and flashlights.

the #1 reason is they can't consistently play on the same side with friends due to auto-balance constantly breaking up the group, and that's unacceptable.

Yeah, it's like this on PC as well. If you try to fight the balance more than once, the game will tell you to stick it out with your current team. It's really annoying.

The game is a ton of fun, especially with gaffers on my team. I just hope this squad and team shit gets ironed out before release.

Evolved1 said:
Well I'm not buying the game... in fact I went and moved my money over to Skyrim earlier today. It'll take a fucking miracle
Mirror's Edge 2
for me to give anything from DICE a second look in the foreseeable future.

eternaLightness said:
Sucks that you're not getting it evolved. I still have faith that the final product won't be disappointing. I hope i'll be as entertained with this game as I was with BC2.

I'm doing very well (7.33w/l) and enjoying the game.................in the sense that I enjoy killzone 2 (it was acceptable). As of the moment, the level of teamwork/team play in BF3 just isn't reaching BF2/BC2 level for me.

Assault med packs are near useless now. People are either dropping like flies or the regen has already healed everything by the time you get there. Reviving is a hit or miss affair.

Support supply packs are also near useless (outside of providing rockets). I don't even remember when was the last time I "ran out of ammo" because you only need 3-4 shots to kill people.

Recons can only place down one T-UGS and one radio beacon per/set. -> After that the class is totally useless outside of just...shooting things. In the worse case scenario, your radio beacon would be camped and then the class is even more useless (since you're only allowed one beacon.)

Engineer...well what can I say, across the board most people are playing this or support (for LMG).

Maybe it's just metro, and hopefully things will be better when vehicles are in....(really should have made capsin the beta map)

However, for now, it just feels like I'm playing some glorified version of CoD's demolition.

Yea, i feel like this isn't a very good map to show off the mechanics. It's basically team deathmatch. I get there reasoning for going infantry only especially on consoles but they should have given us a conquest map like you said. It feels like this beta wasn't thought out very well.

TheSeks

Nabs said:
Yeah, it's like this on PC as well. If you try to fight the balance more than once, the game will tell you to stick it out with your current team. It's really annoying.

The game is a ton of fun, especially with gaffers on my team. I just hope this squad and team shit gets ironed out before release.

I dunno. I've bitched about uneven teams in the past and I'm for this change, but at the same time I can see why you guys bitch about it. I honestly think there has to be some sort of middle ground to keep teams even while not breaking groups but keeping the balance fair for both sides so it isn't "TROLL AND RAGEQUIT FOR THE EASY WINS"

F#A#Oo

Banned
Evolved1 said:

It's terrible. But I could understand how some people aren't bothered by it, since it's prevalent in so many games these days. CoD, Resistance, Killzone, and many others. The reason I play BC2 is because it's not those other games. The reason I stuck with it for so long despite some of its major issues, was because the game feels like butter. Aiming control, the right stick, is perfectly smooth.

It's not anymore. It's been molested.

I felt the same...but now I've adjusted to the feel of the controls.

I played BC2 lastnight after playing BF3 and it was heavy and floaty feeling...felt really restrictive in a sense...and it really did feel inferior.

I think it just comes down to the fact that you have the BC2 controls so ingrained into you.

I just posted this in the main BF3 Beta thread but figured it was worth putting in here seeing as how it's where the PS3 battlefield players at GAF live:

Seeing as how the dipshits at DICE still haven't given us the server browser we've been promised for BF3 on consoles, here is a list of all currently known BF3 server IP addresses on the PS3 so that you can block the ones outside your region:

31.204.135.X Netherlands
31.204.137.X Netherlands
31.204.138.X Netherlands
31.204.141.X Netherlands
109.200.212.X Australia
109.200.222.X Japan
216.151.222.X California, USA
216.151.223.X Florida, USA
216.157.86.X Georgia, USA

Credit for this list goes to Infy_Asix-au

meppi

Well I think the game is finally starting to click with me.
Took a while, but I'm starting to have fun with it and actually had a couple of crazy-ass BF moments, which I thought I wouldn't see again with the slower, more tweaked style.

Really looking forward to the final version now.
I guess with one of the bullet points being "you unlock something all the time", they had to make the unlocks actually mean something.
Which resulted in neutering a lot of weapons, just so would feel the incentive to unlock your favorite parts for them.
Once those parts do come in, it starts to feel a lot more like the Battlefield I love.

I'm probably not the guy to take instructions from in this instance, since I've always been extremely discriminating when it comes my my weapon choice.
Like in KZ2, I only ever used the STA-14 even though barely anyone ever used it as it's hard to get to grips with and use effectively.
That weapon alone is 80% of why I loved KZ2 MP, which also explains my KZ3 hate as Guerrilla raped it, strangled it, and then raped it some more. :-/
A bit the same in BC2 as I love the G3 and GOL for instance, and only use the other weapons to be able to get to rank 50 before BF3 is released as well as to see if I might find another favorite one in the process.

So, Evolved. Before you write the game off, could you do me one favor?
Unlock the Scar with the engineer, unlock both the fore-grip and the red dot and slap them on it.
That's what really made the difference for me. Probably until I unlock the G3 equivalent. ;)
It's still not exactly like BC2, and probably never will be. But it certainly isn't a bad thing either. Like I said, playing the last couple of rounds with it made me change my mind drastically.

meppi

Darkshier said:
4 more days until my epic road trip ends and by battlefield beta begins. I hate all of you for playing it before I get a chance to. HATE!
Well you'll better make the most of it as it ends on October 10th. :(

TheSeks

i wish i missed the beta because i was on a road trip.

Okay, I have to ask since I trust you the most: Is it really that bad?

i wish i missed the beta because i was on a road trip.
Oh I am having a great time no doubt. We both want to play the beta so bad though, lol. Is it really worth missing though? I know Borilla said I wasn't missing much, but I don't want that to be true....

TheSeks said:
Okay, I have to ask since I trust you the most: Is it really that bad?
no, it's not that bad, it's just that road trips are awesome! especially epic ones :D

Darkshier said:
Oh I am having a great time no doubt. We both want to play the beta so bad though, lol. Is it really worth missing though? I know Borilla said I wasn't missing much, but I don't want that to be true....
it's really not that bad, but i'm sure you're having more fun than us. i mean, everyone complains, but we're all still playing the beta 5 days later... though some have claimed they won't buy the game... we'll see...

JJD

Jas said:
Just did the same... DanZim78=ejas feel free to add me. My EA account on PS3 is tied to an old junk mail account I have.
I need to merge it with my PC account one of these days.

I'll do it as soon as I turn on my PS3! :)

Pete Rock

Yeah, I was really excited to be offline for three weeks during the beta shenanigans. Get back at the end of the month and hear it drops the 29th, conflicting thoughts start to arise. Things have not improved since then.

You can see the framework is in place but the current execution leaves so much to be desired, at least on 360, I would rather have seen them wait and put out a high quality demo post retail.

Deadly

GG guys. I don't know if you guys joined my game or we magically ended up in yours. You were all on the other team though. (I'm lalabou)

meppi said:
The more I play this beta, the more I wish we were getting Bad Company 3 instead. :-/
Are there significant differences between the Battlefield X and Battlefield: Bad Company X franchises? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I always thought that Bad Company was just what they decided to go with after Battlefield 2 and it was the next iteration in the franchise, not a significantly different game.

TheSeks

Brian Griffin said:
Are there significant differences between the Battlefield X and Battlefield: Bad Company X franchises? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I always thought that Bad Company was just what they decided to go with after Battlefield 2 and it was the next iteration in the franchise, not a significantly different game.

Bad Company is more focused on the console end. Smaller (though still huge) player-count/maps. etc.

Ahh, ok, that's what I figured. I played BF2 back in the day and then got really into BC2 on xbox this year. I played about 20min of the beta on xbox this morning and was surprised about a lot of things that changed that really didn't need to change from BC2.

- The scoring UI is really distracting compared to the simple plain text type they had in BC2
- The respawn-on-squad-member is different and was cool before
- The kit selection system is really clunky.

I'm sure I'll get used to it but I hate it when devs try and fix what's not broken.

Brian Griffin said:
Prone.

significantly different.

meppi

Brian Griffin said:
Not sure how accurate this statement is, but I feel that BC2 is more arcade-like compared to BF3 which takes a much more realistic approach in a variety of crucial points.

Still, I'm certainly not writing BF3 off. It's just be very different.
I remain faithful that the final game will be something special in the end, I'm just not sure if it'll cater to my tastes as much as BC2.
Gonna give it a more than fair chance though.

TheSeks

Prone.

significantly different.

Prone only changes a few things, and BF2: MC had Prone so it isn't like this is the first console BF title to have prone.

TheSeks said:
Prone only changes a few things, and BF2: MC had Prone so it isn't like this is the first console BF title to have prone.
surely you don't mean the game that was panned almost universally and was only played by a fringe group of people? not that game, right?

surely you don't mean the game that was panned almost universally and was only played by a fringe group of people? not that game, right?
BF MC is on a whole different level than shadowrun, don't you disappoint me now with such glaring heracy.

TheSeks

Oh you and your GameFAQs level of code.

BF2: MC wasn't that bad. Compared now a days to BC1/2, BF3? Yeah, it's pretty poor. But as far as a console port attempt for BF2 it was passable and prone didn't really break the game there (but that's probably due to smaller player count)

Effect

Finally got my copy of BC2 updated. I was wondering why I couldn't connect to any servers. Don't see what they could have changed though. Oh well. Still more fun then I had in the BF3 beta. Not as pretty clearly but simply a LOT more fun.

2013!

BELIEVE

ARE WE THERE YET?
SM901Are-We-There-Yet-Posters.jpg

Top Bottom