• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Hardline Open Beta Discussion Thread

2iUbZes.jpg

Beta Trailer

Developer(s):
  • Visceral Games
  • DICE
Publisher:
  • Electronic Arts
Platforms & Download Sizes:
  • PC (~11GB)
  • Xbox One (~10GB)
  • Xbox 360 (~4GB)
  • PlayStation 4 (~10GB)
  • PlayStation 3 (~4GB)
Duration:
  • Tuesday, February 3rd to Sunday, February 8th (6 days)
Player Counts (Conquest):
  • PC, PS4, XONE – 64 Players
  • PS3, X360 – 24 Players
Content:
  • 3 Maps - Downtown, Dust Bowl, and Bank Job
  • 3 Modes – Hotwire, Conquest, and Heist
  • No level cap – All ranks and unlocks from the full game are present
  • Hacker mode – Similar to Commander mode, Hacker mode allows two players to assume direct control over security cameras across the level.
FAQ:
Can I pre-load the beta?
Yes, but only on PC. The download will be available Monday, February 2nd at 10 AM PST.

Does my progression carry over to the full game?
No.

Do I get anything special for playing?
A dog tag for BF4.
99p5bzF.png

Extra:

Innovation and Tradition: Multiplayer in Battlefield Hardline
Battlefield is a huge and complex game, with a fantastic community of players – some of whom have been playing since the very first entry over a decade ago. With such an historic legacy, we want to make sure that we are truly offering a “Battlefield Experience” with Battlefield Hardline, but also that we’re offering something new, unique, and special.

We know some of you aren’t convinced. You think that the only true Battlefield is a military one. While we can respect that, it is one of our goals to convince you otherwise. So here’s a quick overview of a couple of the new things that Visceral are adding to Battlefield multiplayer with Hardline.

Iterating New Modes to Perfection

It can be tricky to create new game modes – many multiplayer games have settled on “classic” modes for some time now, but we wanted to bring some new excitement and theme-specific play to Battlefield Hardline. The best way to create and balance a new mode is to create it, play it, change it, play it, and repeat – this is called iteration, and is the core of Hardline’s MP modes. The more times we can iterate on a multiplayer mode, the better it becomes. Of course this gets tricky to manage when there are 7 modes - some of which support 64 players - and 9 maps. That’s a ton of playtime and iteration. We’ve worked hard to ensure that we’ve got the best fit for each mode on each map, though.

Two All-New Modes

We have two all-new modes for you to explore and have fun in. Hotwire and Heist offer you a new take on the Battlefield experience, and you’ll be able to experience BOTH of these modes in the upcoming Beta.

Hotwire is all about high speed pursuit – in new vehicles that are faster than ever. With its unique twist on the classic Conquest mode, the Hotwire cars are like mobile capture points that continually create exciting situations and a more dynamic game mode than you might be used to. The sheer number of “Only in Battlefield” moments in this mode is really remarkable.

Looking at Heist, this mode is designed to play out like an action movie. In the Beta, we have Heist featured on the Bank Job map – which is probably the quintessential cops and robbers experience you’d expect. We’ve modified the way this mode plays to make it more replayable and the matches more contentious.

Map Size Matters

Overall map size is somewhat more towards the medium and short range than your typical Battlefield title. This is intentional – it reduces travel time, it’s easier to iterate on, and it’s a good way to focus the conflict and provide more focus for the firefights. We have also reduced the presence and impact of armored, tank-like vehicles in direct response to player feedback – this helps solidify the theme, and makes the space requirement for the maps slightly lower.

In general, we’re focused on making a fun sandbox style experience for you and your friends to come play in. With our theme, we can plant our tongues slightly more firmly in our cheeks – and it fits the theme and setting. So go try out the beta for some wicked stunts with our fast vehicles, or zipline from rooftop to rooftop – Hardline is all about action-packed excitement, and we hope you love the game.

Thad Sasser
@dirtydeathdog
Lead Multiplayer Designer, Battlefield Hardline
Source.

screensk0pgs.png

RoKKeR

Forgot this was starting so soon, might have to fire it up next weekend.

Should give me my BF fix until Battlefront hits.

demolitio

Hoping this changes my mind about the game. The last beta was rough and the premise disappoints me since it's hardly cops vs. robbers, but I'm hoping the BF gunplay will be there with minimal bugs to entice me again.

Part of me wants it since I'm so bored and need more MP games, but part of me is wary after BF4 and my concerns over this game and how it felt like a mod more than anything else, but I've been hoping that the SP is what sets it apart.

This beta will decide a lot for me and I hope that it's good.

I really miss working on mods for the BF series though.

v1lla21

Giving it a try on PC and PS4. I'm actually pumped for the SP.

I enjoyed the June beta just because I was good at it. Some of the maps look awesome.

BTW, jackfrags will be dropping some videos tomorrow!

Ark

The beta in June was definitely crap, but I'm really hoping this beta is much, much better. Looking forward to it. Shame I'm going to be working so much this week.

im hoping the launch window issues for this game are at a minimum and that they learned their lesson from BF4. Would lay to rest some of my fears for Battlefront this year.

if you have the BFH "E3" "beta", redownload that on the PS4 and it will update it to Battlefield Hardline Beta already.

Lakitu

st5fu
So overall map size is smaller than a typical BF game, yet they still include 64 player conquest? Doesn't make sense. Why not just reduce it to 32 players or even 24? Not all of us enjoy chaotic nightmares like Metro, Locker (aka maps that aren't designed for 64 players).

Jb

Like others have said in the thread, the E3 beta was slightly underwhelming, I'm hoping the extra months allowed them to work on the maps and vehicle physics to make it feel like a proper "urban" multiplayer game.

Vorheez

Sorry if I missed it, but does this go up at midnight tonight then? Or is it a Tuesday morning type of thing?

The last beta was pretty awful, felt like a mod for BF4 instead of a standalone game. Will check this one out, played a lot of BF4 on my PC but not sure if I'd rather play on PC or PS4, guess I'll test drive them both. Advantage of console is cheaper launch price and trading in after a few weeks, and rebuying on PC in the fall when its $10-20.

Respect to the dev for having a big open beta like this, it definitely is needed nowadays for big MP games to avoid problems like Halo or BF4 launch.

Kei-

There's a PS4 user streaming the beta now. According to him, they are running a closed beta prior to the early beta, for one day apparently. Maybe to make the open beta launch smoother by having some people on the servers already and not have so many downloads going on at once tomorrow.

squadr0n

Are people pre loading or something already? The official pre load time is 10am Pst or 1pm Est.

Hopefully this will win them some good will back. Battlefield has always been my go to shooter and Hardline has a lot of hype to hold up too after the train wreck of 4's launch. This is a great way to win us back!

Are people pre loading or something already? The official pre load time is 10am Pst or 1pm Est.

like i said earlier, you can pre-load something on the PS4 atleast already by re-downloading the BFH E3 version.

has new art assets so i assume it's the new beta.

occelinho

I'll give it a go. Not a fan of the beta in June though.

Same here, but Im really looking forward to the changes they made since then.

I also really liked what I saw from the campaign, though thats not part of the beta of course.

occelinho

How are you guys pre-loading, is it on the store if I search Hardline?

Platform? Pre-loading is only avaiable on PC.
Some played the closed beta back in june and those people can redownload the old client again, but Im not sure if this one will work with the next beta.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Do you think my teammates will get mad if I spend the whole game trying to pet the alligator?

Top Bottom