• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlerite |OT| Bloodline Champions Redux

http://steamcommunity.com/games/504370/announcements/detail/580226264175355975

In late October we’re planning a content update that will include:
2 New Champions
Night variation of Blackstone Arena
Balance updates & improvements to existing Champions
Additional Legendary Weapons & new cosmetics
Various improvements to other parts of the game

On the Horizon
Revamped Ranking System
A solid Ranking System is a top-priority for us due to the competitive nature of Battlerite. We are working on a new system that will include improvements and additional options!

Extended Champion Progression
More levels, more rewards and more options for you to stand out from the crowd with your favorite Champion!

Champion Updates
We will put a ton of work into creating new Champions and also into balancing and tuning the existing ones. Expect abilities to change and battlerites to be updated in our quest to perfect every single Champion!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm really tempted by this game, but $20 USD is pretty steep...

i'm pretty confident $18 is a really good price to get in on ground floor of this.

at least it is if you enjoy fighting games and the teamfight portions of MOBAs. it seems like it'll get traction, too.

pronk420

This looks cool but it sounds like there won't be a Mac client while it is in early access. I'm almost tempted to buy it even though I can't play it just to get the EA stuff.

"Man, matchmaking is whack.

I keep getting matched against people 4-5 ranks above me."

They're not 4-5 ranks above you, what's happening is you're currently in placement so the first first few grades that you get until you're placed are just "gimmes." When you reach 10 wins you'll be placed in your actual grade depending on your win/loss ratio.

Yooooooo glad I discovered this game yesterday. Had no idea they were making a "sequel" to BLC. I loved that game and holy moly have they improved on pretty much everything and removed most of what was bad about that game this time around. The movement, hit detection, hit feedback and animations just feel completely fantastic where BLC had plenty of jank to go around.

Currently hopping around Rank 10 and enjoying every second of this game. I almost enjoy playing it solo more than with friends oddly enough.

Wok

If you purchase early access you'll get all heroes that are released in the future, forever. It's unclear if they'll offer a similar bundle in the future after early access is over (perhaps at a higher price).

The business model is also really good at the moment. $20 for all characters and early access seems like a good price, and you can't buy an advantage in any way. And considering how everyone knows that Bloodline Champions was ruined with shitty pay to win monetization I doubt the devs will repeat that mistake in Battlerite.

Do we have actually any idea of the business model? What if the game ends up like Dota2 where all heroes are free and only cosmetics are monetized?

Not that it would be a bad thing, but that would render the $20 entry for early access totally useless.

Right now, the game has basically Overwatch's business model: you have to pay the entry price, then you get all the heroes and you can pay but just for cosmetics.

JCH!

"Man, matchmaking is whack.

I keep getting matched against people 4-5 ranks above me."

They're not 4-5 ranks above you, what's happening is you're currently in placement so the first first few grades that you get until you're placed are just "gimmes." When you reach 10 wins you'll be placed in your actual grade depending on your win/loss ratio.

No, I already finished my placement matches and got Grade/Level 7.

Been matched with Grade 9-11 people more often than not.

Dreavus

Always thought BLC was a pretty cool game back when it was first coming out. I didn't stick with it for that long though. Did that game exist before or after LoL? Can't remember.

I might pick this up just for kicks.

Nokterian

I am playing it and i love it..the game feels robust the heros are diverse lots of personality. If people want to add me on steam nickname is the same as here.

One of the few early access that game that already feels polished also runs and plays great. What i like most is the short rounds not to long just long enough.

brian!

1st master of bacon qualifier is on: https://www.twitch.tv/mastersofbacon

No, I already finished my placement matches and got Grade/Level 7.

Been matched with Grade 9-11 people more often than not.

placements shouldnt be 100% accurate, like more of a base the system has constructed off of those placements games
your mmr should be getting kind of wild fluctuations after it, I've gone up about 3 levels since placements

"No, I already finished my placement matches and got Grade/Level 7.

Been matched with Grade 9-11 people more often than not."

Are you sure? Do you have an MMR or are you still increasing in grade based on round wins? At any rate, If that is the case, you're in the unfortunate situation where most of the player base is between grade 9-12, so even though you're grade 7, there's not enough grade 7-8 players for you to get matched with them often.

"Do we have actually any idea of the business model? What if the game ends up like Dota2 where all heroes are free and only cosmetics are monetized?"

I think they'll be doing something more similar to League of Legends with locked characters and a free rotation.

krpiper

I love how concise these games are. Perfect for squeezing 10 minutes in. I just picked it up but I am a fan so far!

Alur

I've just been playing 4 quick games of whatever role my daily quest involves. Found some fun ones, and some others I just don't like .

Am I missing something in regards to gold? The little rune things seem to buy all the cosmetic upgrades, so what is the purpose of my gold?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you can purchase gold chests with them but not silver.

Damn if the prices on cosmetics aren't astronomical though.

Also, just started playing Poloma. OpieOP.

There is an insane amount of pearl clutching and anger about anyone calling this a MOBA. I don't see how it ISN'T a MOBA. It is a simplified MOBA with just the parts that are fun and exciting, minus all the boring grinding and needlessly lengthy matches.

Alur

Would agree. It's definitely the team fighting from MOBA, sans the laning and objectives. Though I guess you could argue the middle orb is an objective.

arcadus

Neo Member
poloma is really op and should probably be nerfed
i hate calling for nerfs in games as it usually just makes games kind of bland, but i think if you buff the other supports the game would get slowed down a lot

bounchfx

been playing the game a lot the last few days. it's a lot of fun for the price, and I look forward to the updates... but despite having fun, I'm conflicted on whether or not I actually like it. A lot of the heroes seem like clones of one another.. it really only seems like theres 2-3 types of heroes max. Just substitute 'status effect name' for 'different status effect name' on 90% of them and otherwise their moves are exactly the same. This seems like it would be good for balance but there's definitely a few (
petrify
) heroes that are OP atm, but that's to be expected.

I've warmed up to the character designs, and the skillshot nature of the abilities makes it neat to play, but it still doesnt have the predictability of games like dota where you can for the most part know how something will play out if you execute x moves, (likely due to me still being new at the game) for example running in on an enemy with 2% health and you have 30% and somehow they come out on top despite doing nothing but left clicking each other point blank range... wat? plus it feels like coordinating with teammates is a bit clumsy due to how it plays

I'll play more, but yeah

Mechazawa

There is an insane amount of pearl clutching and anger about anyone calling this a MOBA. I don't see how it ISN'T a MOBA. It is a simplified MOBA with just the parts that are fun and exciting, minus all the boring grinding and needlessly lengthy matches.

I mean, those are the things that make those games MOBAs. If you slightly tweaked the camera in this game, you could confuse it as the PVP mode from some random MMO.

jotun?

The number of skills that each champion has is really overwhelming, both from a knowledge/awareness standpoint and also just the number of controls to keep straight

Alur

Just played a game a minute ago and a guy named "Moderator" popped up in our all chat and said he was going to watch our game. He wasn't on either team.

I was Poloma solo queueing. Varesh was my teammate. We faced an Ashka and Freya.

We won the first round and afterwards the "Moderator", whom I can only discern is a dev of some sort, said "Qruul I'm afraid I'm going to have to ban you for hacking" because I had like 200 or 300 points more in total score than the rest of the players. That put the enemy team on tilt a bit (they thought he was serious). One even said "I can't believe there are already hacks for this game". LOL, anyway...

The enemy team wins the next two rounds and we are down 2-1. "Moderator" says, "Qruul if your team wins this I will give your team a gold chest". We came back and won the series 3-2, he told everybody great game afterward. I left the game and bam, an extra gold chest was in my chests. Pretty awesome I gotta say.

I also ranked up from 7 to 8, so it was a good night.

RS4-

Thinking about trying it, I know I can always buy then refund, but still...

Now if there was a free but very very limited hero pool so people can test the game out, I'd do it. Instead of waiting for it to finally release f2p.

Hmm.

"been playing the game a lot the last few days. it's a lot of fun for the price, and I look forward to the updates... but despite having fun, I'm conflicted on whether or not I actually like it. A lot of the heroes seem like clones of one another.. it really only seems like theres 2-3 types of heroes max. Just substitute 'status effect name' for 'different status effect name' on 90% of them and otherwise their moves are exactly the same. This seems like it would be good for balance but there's definitely a few (petrify) heroes that are OP atm, but that's to be expected."

You could make that argument for all games with different characters. The different status effects have different utilities. I'm curious as to what about petrify you think is OP as the "strongest" characters I can think of don't have a petrify, though I can only really think of one character (Rook) that is noticeably weaker than any other character.

bounchfx

You could make that argument for all games with different characters. The different status effects have different utilities. I'm curious as to what about petrify you think is OP as the "strongest" characters I can think of don't have a petrify, though I can only really think of one character (Rook) that is noticeably weaker than any other character.

well, you could make the argument but it would be quite different for some games because there is a much wider variety available than here, but those games have a lot more characters too. so on one hand, you'd think a game with less characters would have more variety within them, and that a game with more would have a lot more repeated skills. I think it depends how granular you are with it. But in this game I see; damage, counter, jump, charge shot, stun, and a couple variants of each. I kind of like that I know how to play every character from just playing a couple but at the same time, I don't know, I wish there was more. Lots of room for the game to grow though. That's what I mean when I said earlier that I like it, but I also don't know if I like it. It's weird. I'll keep playing, and I enjoy it in super short bursts, but there's a part of me that is worried it's not going to keep me coming back after a week or two. Either way, it's absolutely been worth the price.

as for petrify, I was referencing sun-god dude, who right now seems to be really strong and a 3+ second effective stun is really hard to fight against if someone knows what they're doing. the other OP characters I would say are the pet girl and the spear dude. Panic is also strong as hell but doesn't seem as bad as petri.

If you're that reductive, how many abilities are actually in DotA, for example (since I know you play that)? Not that many either. Damage, stun, blink, steroid?

Sirius's petrify is definitely good, but it has a 1 second delay in a game with plenty of ways to avoid the AOE on reaction.

There's also the argument that without a slightly homogenised cast, many matches would be decided before the actual game started.

I wonder if that many skills (and EX skills on top of that) were really necessary though.

Ferrio

Banned
Picked this up tonight. Never played the game it's based on, but I'm enjoying it so far. Character design and voices are underwhelming, but the combat is fun and quick.

bounchfx

If you're that reductive, how many abilities are actually in DotA, for example (since I know you play that)? Not that many either. Damage, stun, blink, steroid?

Sirius's petrify is definitely good, but it has a 1 second delay in a game with plenty of ways to avoid the AOE on reaction.

yeah that's exactly what I mean. if you go as simple as damage type, then it's like four things Lol, but for how they're applied, there's a ridiculous amount of variety I think. It's why I was kind of disappointed there wasn't more in battlerite (yet). I'm kind of stunned how different most heroes are in Dota, and it's no surprise that most games share a lot of similar things, it seems like almost everything has been done, it must be so difficult to come up with new, interesting mechanics that aren't rehashes.

E-flux

I played Bloodline champions, liked it but eventually dropped it because of the runes and other games coming along.. I'm glad to see that their character designs are a lot better this time around. The new samurai engineer, Iva is a blast to play.

"yeah that's exactly what I mean. if you go as simple as damage type, then it's like four things Lol, but for how they're applied, there's a ridiculous amount of variety I think. It's why I was kind of disappointed there wasn't more in battlerite (yet). I'm kind of stunned how different most heroes are in Dota, and it's no surprise that most games share a lot of similar things, it seems like almost everything has been done, it must be so difficult to come up with new, interesting mechanics that aren't rehashes."

I don't really agree that there are that many ways to apply skills in DotA, though it does have the innate advantage of having both skillshots and targeted skills. DotA's hero variety comes when you look at the character as a whole, not each skill in a vacuum.

E-flux

"yeah that's exactly what I mean. if you go as simple as damage type, then it's like four things Lol, but for how they're applied, there's a ridiculous amount of variety I think. It's why I was kind of disappointed there wasn't more in battlerite (yet). I'm kind of stunned how different most heroes are in Dota, and it's no surprise that most games share a lot of similar things, it seems like almost everything has been done, it must be so difficult to come up with new, interesting mechanics that aren't rehashes."

I don't really agree that there are that many ways to apply skills in DotA, though it does have the innate advantage of having both skillshots and targeted skills. DotA's hero variety comes when you look at the character as a whole, not each skill in a vacuum.

Dota has a lot of exceptions, well at least it used to have. There used to be hybrid damage which wasn't exactly pure damage, nor physical or magical, but they got rid of it since only like 3 skills used hybrid damage, then there are, or were a lot of skills that might have been spells but they pierced magical immunity, or interacted in unexpected ways with spells. I'm afraid to name any examples because i haven't played Dota in a long while so they might have been changed by now. Dota also has global spells, don't forget about those.

ChrisDM

Finally realized tonight that this is actually made by the devs behind Bloodline Champions. Thought it was just a comparison at first. I loved that game so much, so definitely jumping in soon! <3

E-flux

Finally realized tonight that this is actually made by the devs behind Bloodline Champions. Thought it was just a comparison at first. I loved that game so much, so definitely jumping in soon! <3

It's been a long time since i played the original but all of the heroes here seem to be from the original bloodline champions, so if you had a favorite there you should be able to play that character again.

Kioshen

Got wind of this game and since I like ARAM in Heroes of the storm I picked the game up. It's a very dynamic game focused on skill shots which I like. For some reason however I'm a little confused playing it but it's mostly because I don't know what everyone does yet. The interactions are pretty complex for such a fast pace game and with so many special effects going on all the time I'm always lagging behind in the thought process.

I'm not too sure which character i'd like to play but the bubble lady is hilarious. Landing a shark maw is priceless albeit very hard.

brian!

Yeah game knowledge seems really really important, makes me kinda glad that there arent too many characters lol

Bought this game on a whim as I've kinda lost interest in mobas over the last few months and had some Steam refund money.

Very happy that I picked this up, as I intended to only play it for 15 minutes, but threw in an hour and a half. This is a lot of fun, the community is also really nice too. Made friends with a guy I played with and duo'd with him for a few matches.

The End

Tons of fun so far, my only slight disappointment is that it runs worse than HotS on my shitbox laptop.

I really, really want to be good with Freya but I think I need to work my way up to that.

Ferrio

Banned
Tons of fun so far, my only slight disappointment is that it runs worse than HotS on my shitbox laptop.

I really, really want to be good with Freya but I think I need to work my way up to that.

Only character I've played and like her a lot. Lot of control, and defense and I love slamming people up against walls.

Jira

Playing this on voip with a friend is an absolute blast. It's everything I like about MOBAs (team fights) and nothing I don't (everything else). Had an absolute blood pumping 2v1 earlier where I clutched and yelled out loud. I haven't played a competitive game that got me going like this in forever.

Kioshen

Any good videos available that covers key concepts of the game ? Any character tutorials or general strategy would be helpful honestly. Doesn't have to be in video form either but it helps learning content faster.

brian!

I dunno any videos but ive learned a bunch from watching streamers like jackazzm(shifu), teldoo (croak), and newha(sp?, support).

It's really not one though. I think you can be pretty flexible with the definition, and add or subtract a lot of elements, but fundamentally if it doesn't have creeps or bases that need to be destroyed you can't call it a MOBA. It definitely has elements of the genre with heroes and such but you can say the same about Overwatch. I said it somewhere else, but unless you can call Diablo 3's PvP mode a MOBA with a straight face, you can't do the same here.

Ferrio

Banned
Question about skills.

When using Freya all her skills seemed to be smartcast (aka, instantly goes off no targetting phase). But when I tried out Poloma she doesn't, is that a setting or just something natural with the characters? I hope the former because I hate having to switch between those two types of casting and rather it be across the board.

voOsh

Question about skills.

When using Freya all her skills seemed to be smartcast (aka, instantly goes off no targetting phase). But when I tried out Poloma she doesn't, is that a setting or just something natural with the characters? I hope the former because I hate having to switch between those two types of casting and rather it be across the board.

I'm at work right now so I can't test this but I believe in Battlerite, skills don't trigger until you release the button. So you can hold down to aim. There was a tips thread on the subreddit that discussed it.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm at work right now so I can't test this but I believe in Battlerite, skills don't trigger until you release the button. So you can hold down to aim. There was a tips thread on the subreddit that discussed it.

But that's not what I was experiencing:

Freya: Hit button, release - Skill comes out
Poloma: Hit button (wolf skill), release - Targetting comes out. Hit button again, skill activates.

Alur

Can't speak for all the heroes, Ferrio, but Poloma's wolf skill seems to be unique compared to most of the other heroes I've played. Like even on her there's several push button skills, but that one is different. Don't really know why, but it tripped me up a bit at first too.

Top Bottom