• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletech |KS| Turn-based tactical mech combat, Harebrained Schemes, Summer 2017

Lime

Some interesting tidbits from one of the designers:

BRKKEDE.png

947b1ee6002786b567c2dbbc04effe2281944bc7a8e32d6a4e448e6a030fa30cu22.png

bottom to top
5a74be6545ec294a36f2a9f924d9fb8009fad93e07fddc2ef24678e057d5ea90u22.png

Woorloog

Banned
Whoa wait, what.
Weapon variants?

Does this mean that Mydron and Imperator autocannons are different? That Martell and Diverse Optics lasers are different?
Very interesting if true.

akira28

I think lore wise they had slight differences, but I haven't seen a game that actually incorporated all of that. I think the pen and paper game might have had weapon quirks maybe...

but it makes good sense. everyone needs medium lasers, and everyone is at war with everyone. so you would need a lot of manufacturers to cover

Lime

Looks like the game was picked up by Paradox for publishing.

https://twitter.com/BattleTech_Game/status/862931989866971136

Was hoping that might coincide with a release of the Backer Beta but no such luck.

Soon....I hope....Was hoping it would come out before I get bogged down by my own Beta project at work....Oh well.

Holy shit at the art cinematics. They're gorgeous.

Youtube link for those interested

I hope the Paradox relationship works out for HBS and this game.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Lime

From the recent Kickstarter update:

"So why is this a good thing?
  • Because with Paradox's additional test funding, we'll have more professional testers banging on the game earlier so we ship the highest quality game we can.
  • Because with their help, we can also deliver higher quality localized versions of the game to our overseas players and spend far less time managing the process.
  • Because we won't need to divide our attention away from making the game in order to sell the game. We're not marketers - we're game developers, and we want our focus to be firmly on delivering the best BATTLETECH experience we can.
  • Because we all love BattleTech and the more attention that Paradox can bring to the game, the better its chances for success in an incredibly crowded and competitive marketplace. As I'm often quoted, ”In success, all things are possible." Paradox's marketing support will hopefully result in increased sales of the game and allow for years of BATTLETECH expansions and sequels for all of us to enjoy.
FAQ
Is this the real reason the Backer Beta was delayed?Absolutely not. Our new relationship with Paradox had nothing to do with the delay of our Backer Beta. See the explanation in Kickstarter Update #36 for details.

Does Paradox have control over the design of the game?Nope. HBS has complete creative control of the game. Paradox has lots of BattleTech fans who have opinions (just like our Backers) but HBS is not obligated to take their feedback. That said, the company has lots of experience with strategy games and we'd be dumb not to listen.

Who is responsible for testing the game now?

Harebrained Schemes controls the testing of the game. Paradox is funding it.

Who will handle customer support for BATTLETECH?
For our Backer Beta and service to our Backers, it's Harebrained Schemes all the way.

Once the game launches, Paradox will handle customer support. They have a full team of experienced support staff and a history of quality customer support. They will (of course) team up with our development team for investigation and vetting of technical issues.

What happens to our personal information from the Kickstarter? Does Paradox get it now?
Definitely not. We take your privacy very seriously and will not be sharing any information gathered via Kickstarter with Paradox or anyone else.

Will the game still release on Steam, GOG, and Humble?
You bet. BATTLETECH will release on Steam, GoG, and Humble on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Nothing has changed there and, as we mentioned in an earlier update, we're looking at a late Summer/Fall release.

Will I still be able to download a DRM-Free version of the game?
Yes. A DRM-Free version will be available on GOG.

You mentioned expansions. What's the plan for post-launch content and DLC?
In success we hope to release full-fledged expansions to the game and intend to focus on that over small pieces of DLC.

What about sequels? Does Paradox have a say in those?
We have no agreement with Paradox to release sequels to the game at this time. If our relationship goes well, we'll consider it in the future."

Lime

Looks like this might interest gregor777:
System Requirements
Windows
Minimum:
Processor: Intel Pentium Core i3 3210 3.20GHz or AMD FX 4300 3.8GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 660 GTX or AMD Radeon HD 7850
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 15 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Pentium Core i5 3450 3.10GHz or AMD FX 6300 3.5GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 or AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 15 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device

Lime

Do we know if there is a proper story in the game?

1. It's the writers of Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong, which are some of the best writing in contemporary RPG writing, imo.
2. They've emphasized the narrative aspect and wants to tell an engaging story with interesting characters
3. If you want to spoil yourself of the first part of the game and read up on the story and its premise, they did a Kickstarter update

I think this will the the most story-heavy Mechwarrior/Mechcommander game out there with the design philosophy that HBS is doing. They also have some great writers on their team and their producers understand the importance of narrative.

E-flux

1. It's the writers of Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong, which are some of the best writing in contemporary RPG writing, imo.
2. They've emphasized the narrative aspect and wants to tell an engaging story with interesting characters
3. If you want to spoil yourself of the first part of the game and read up on the story and its premise, they did a Kickstarter update

I think this will the the most story-heavy Mechwarrior/Mechcommander game out there with the design philosophy that HBS is doing. They also have some great writers on their team and their producers understand the importance of narrative.

Nice, the reason i asked was since Dragonfall is probably my favorite crpg this decade and was hoping that they continue making good stories. One more question, do we have our own blank character in this or do we just follow the set of characters and see how everything unfolds?

Lime

Nice, the reason i asked was since Dragonfall is probably my favorite crpg this decade and was hoping that they continue making good stories. One more question, do we have our own blank character in this or do we just follow the set of characters and see how everything unfolds?

Own created character ("the mech commander") who supposedly can also be put into the deployed mechs in missions.

Also, you can think of the game less as a cRPG and more of a tactical RPG à la a complex version of X-Com, but with better writing, better music, and more gameplay complexity.

This looks lightyears ahead of the pre-alpha, which already looked phenomenal. Cripes, I don't know if I can avoid the beta at this point.

giphy.gif

I feel you. It's so hard to stay away from this. I don't know what to do. Not sure I can wait until September or whenever they're ready. The game looks so good.

Effect

Watching the video and being in water will help with firing laser weapons and the heat generated from them which is a nice touch. Bring on the beta and release.

Rommel

Love that they are partnering with Paradox. I would say 75% of my gameplay now comes from Paradox Games (HOI/EU/Stellaris). While some don't like their DLC policy they continue to support and update games for years after they are released. CK2 is still receiving updates/DLC 5 years later.

Purkake4

Banned
Looks really really good. I think having a simple, but well-tested and thought out system (like say from PnP) really helps them here.

Looking forward to playing it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Any info on the number of weapons? They have shown off a very limited number in the gameplay vids.

Today's video has LRMs, SRMs, Autocannons, PPCs, Lasers and melee.

What's missing? Flamers, Machineguns and pulse lasers? They're probably in there.

giphy.gif

Is this supposed to be the Star League Defense Force? I know this game takes place in the Third Succession War era, but I thought this was a bit weird. I thought they were more of an army green color?

joecanada

Some interesting tidbits from one of the designers:

BRKKEDE.png

947b1ee6002786b567c2dbbc04effe2281944bc7a8e32d6a4e448e6a030fa30cu22.png

bottom to top
5a74be6545ec294a36f2a9f924d9fb8009fad93e07fddc2ef24678e057d5ea90u22.png

there's no way insurance wouldn't be available in the future, however I don't think insurance is mentioned in the game itself (old school games I mean).

but also who would ensure war machines I mean they are basically meant to be destroyed lol.

Lime

Any info on the number of weapons? They have shown off a very limited number in the gameplay vids.

Today's video has LRMs, SRMs, Autocannons, PPCs, Lasers and melee.

What's missing? Flamers, Machineguns and pulse lasers? They're probably in there.

Flamers and machine guns have been seen in the previous videos. Pulse lasers as well.

I think all 3025 weaponry is in the game.

Nete

giphy.gif

Is this supposed to be the Star League Defense Force? I know this game takes place in the Third Succession War era, but I thought this was a bit weird. I thought they were more of an army green color?

Probably part of a "how the hell the galaxy is this fucked" intro video.

Manzoon

Banned
there's no way insurance wouldn't be available in the future, however I don't think insurance is mentioned in the game itself (old school games I mean).

but also who would ensure war machines I mean they are basically meant to be destroyed lol.

From what I recall there weren't any specific insurance rules in the table-top books (if that is what you mean by old school), c-bill cost for everything under the sun though for repairs, also lots of salvage rules. I loved playing megamek games with a c-bill limit instead of battlevalue, haha.

Sinatar

Ok, is there any variation, like different kinds of missiles or whatever?

Are you not familiar with Battletech?

Yes there are variations. You'll see numbers at the end of weapons for example. An SRM 2 or 5, AC 10, AC 20. Lasers will have a size indicated of S, M, L.

Purkake4

Banned
Are you not familiar with Battletech?

Yes there are variations. You'll see numbers at the end of weapons for example. An SRM 2 or 5, AC 10, AC 20. Lasers will have a size indicated of S, M, L.
Not familiar with the details, I know the basics.

Is there a sniper rifle equivalent? One big missile? Area of effect stuff?

Sinatar

Not familiar with the details, I know the basics.

Is there a sniper rifle equivalent? One big missile? Area of effect stuff?

Sniper Rifle would be a Gauss Cannon.

For singular missiles you've got Thunderbolts, though I don't think they were around in the timeframe this game takes place. There's Arrow IV's as well, but again I don't think they were around in 3025.

Area effect, there are artillery pieces like the Long Tom.

Top Bottom