• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletech |KS| Turn-based tactical mech combat, Harebrained Schemes, Summer 2017

joecanada

From what I recall there weren't any specific insurance rules in the table-top books (if that is what you mean by old school), c-bill cost for everything under the sun though for repairs, also lots of salvage rules. I loved playing megamek games with a c-bill limit instead of battlevalue, haha.

ah yes ok that sounds familiar. one thing that I recall (maybe incorrectly ) about battletech is it had a much larger pilot component than MechWarrior, that is there was a lot of roleplay around getting out of the mech but it doesn't look like the game will focus on that.

Manzoon

Banned
ah yes ok that sounds familiar. one thing that I recall (maybe incorrectly ) about battletech is it had a much larger pilot component than MechWarrior, that is there was a lot of roleplay around getting out of the mech but it doesn't look like the game will focus on that.
Battletech was strictly mech combat simulation, your pilot only had two stats (gunnery and piloting). There is an actual MechWarrior pen and paper RPG that is much more granular and has person to person combat sort of similar to the mech based game, on top of RPG things like social skills rolls and the like. I don't remember a lot of those details, but there could have been some kind of insurance system, wouldn't be surprising considering how detailed everything was.

Woorloog

Banned

Standard BattleTech is about 'Mechs. The only thing pilots have are Gunnery and Piloting skills, and optionally name and experience (improve skills after game).

MechWarrior roleplaying game, now A Time of War, is, well, roleplaying game, though 'Mech combat is executed under standard BT rules.

Optional rules include more stuff for pilots even outside RPG play, along with all sort of other stuff.

Not familiar with the details, I know the basics.

Is there a sniper rifle equivalent? One big missile? Area of effect stuff?

Since 'Mechs have multiple weapons, contrasting them to specific weapons is not really accurate. Individual 'Mechs types under default configurations are can take certain roles though. For example, the Marauder is basically a sniper with trio of long-range weapons and poor/mediocre armor for its weight class (and depending on your standards).

Under simple tech level BattleTech video game starts under, the longest range weapon is autocannon/2, which deals abysmal damage. Followed my LRMs (fired in 5/10/15/20 at a time depending rack size) and then AC/5 and particle projection cannon (particle beam, basically a lightning bolt). With advanced tech, the Gauss rifle and extended range PPC are the "sniper" weapons, but not sure if either one will be in the game.

No big missiles until experimental advanced technology, the mentioned Arrow IV artillery missile aside. Unlikely such things can be found in BattleTech due to in-universe date which is about 3025 probably.
Short range missiles are bigger than LRMs and deal more damage per missile with shorter range.

That would explain it, but thought that the SLDF had a green color on their stuff.

Star League Defense Force color was standard olive drab for sure, but individual regiments may have earned right for decoration or whatever else. Since the PC game is not canon per se, the intro video can be assume to be interpretation. Olive drab sure looks boring for the largest, most powerful military ever. Not very high-tech either.

Today's video has LRMs, SRMs, Autocannons, PPCs, Lasers and melee.

What's missing? Flamers, Machineguns and pulse lasers? They're probably in there.

Pulse lasers are advanced tech.

Assuming 3025-tech level, the weapons and equipment in the game should be:
Standard structure, standard armor, standard engine (and gyro), single (standard) heat sinks, jump jets.
AC/2/5/10/20
Small, medium, large laser
PPC
LRM-5/10/15/20
SRM-2/4/6 (maybe inferno ammo option)
Flamer
Machine gun
Melee (kicks, punches, charge, death from above). Unlikely to be in-game but hatchet exists under standard BT rules as a melee weapon, and clubs can be picked up from blown off limbs or trees.

EDIT Theoretically, some experimental equipment may exists during this timeframe in the game:
Electronic Warfare Equipment
Binary (Blazer) laser
And that's about it.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Man that multiplayer gameplay they showed looks great. This looks like digital version of Battletech that I have always wanted. I think the only thing left is a true digital version of the Warhammer and WH40K tabletop games. This is pretty damn good looking. Cannot wait to try it out.

Manzoon

Banned
EDIT Theoretically, some experimental equipment may exists during this timeframe in the game:
Electronic Warfare Equipment
Binary (Blazer) laser
And that's about it.

I always liked lower tech level games (double heatsinks always made heat management so easy) but I hope they add in some more experimental stuff, I wouldn't mind if they were a little anachronistic to the lore. Having LBX and Ultra autocannon variants really jazzes up the kinetic energy options.

Woorloog

Banned
I always liked lower tech level games (double heatsinks always made heat management so easy) but I hope they add in some more experimental stuff, I wouldn't mind if they were a little anachronistic to the lore. Having LBX and Ultra autocannon variants really jazzes up the kinetic energy options.

Personally i'm hoping for LosTech caches. Like, you find various tech stuff you sell to Successor States for C-bills, but keep a weapon or two. Very rare stuff you leave for your "heroes", your best of the best.

Otherwise i don't like the idea of anachronistic game... but then i am a BT purist. The idea of new Periphery faction is already bothering me a lot.

Alt ammo for ACs would be OK except nothing but tracer and flak rounds exists as alternates by 3025. The former is purely for night fighting, the latter is... well, flak rounds, for anti-aircraft work.

Manzoon

Banned
Personally i'm hoping for LosTech caches. Like, you find various tech stuff you sell to Successor States for C-bills, but keep a weapon or two. Very rare stuff you leave for your "heroes", your best of the best.

Otherwise i don't like the idea of anachronistic game... but then i am a BT purist. The idea of new Periphery faction is already bothering me a lot.

Alt ammo for ACs would be OK except nothing but tracer and flak rounds exists as alternates by 3025. The former is purely for night fighting, the latter is... well, flak rounds, for anti-aircraft work.
Oh man, LosTech would be great, that could open up some great possibilities. Yeah I'm not a fan of a new Periphery Faction, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt considering I never thought this game would exist. I'm willing to give them significant leeway.

Woorloog

Banned
Some stuff, collected from the gameplay vid, forum questions and speculation.

-Damage values are roughly 5 times their tabletop equivalents at the moment, with some exceptions. No idea about armor values (presumably increased proportionally) but larger numbers probably allow for more granularity in case of weapons having manufacturer-specific variants.
-It seems that missile weapons deal increased stability damage and lasers deal none. Others are presumably in-between, and melee is best for this. Unstable 'Mechs can be knocked down by others.
-Pilots take damage from falling and head damage. Injury effects are unclear as of yet.
-Heat deals structure damage rather than degrading movement and targeting like in tabletop BattleTech.
-In tabletop BattleTech, SRMs (and LRMs to lesser extent) are "crit-seekers", they deal little damage compared to other options but with many missiles, they're more likely to cause crits (eg SRM-6 has up 6 missiles, otherwise you need six weapons to have equal critical potential). This seems to hold true here.
-Autocannons have increase damage values from their classes (ie AC/2 does not deal "2" [10 in this game] damage. They also seem to have penalties if used repeatedly. So, they offer good firepower for low heat at the cost of weight, ammo use and "recoil".
-Ammo doesn't blow up on first critical hit, rather an ammo crit disables weapon. Blows up on second crit.
-No special ammo, like Inferno missiles.
-Weapons can have minimum range, unclear what effect this has. LRMs can fire indirectly, provided someone's spotting for that.
-Small weapons (small lasers, MGs, flamers) add to melee damage.
-Hand actuators (or lacking them) and weight affect melee damage.
-Apparently 'Mech actuators can be upgraded for better melee damage.
-MechWarrior abilities grant things like sensor lock (remove cover bonuses from enemy) or multi-target (split fire between 2 or more targets).
-Morale, can be used to increase hit chances for one pilot for one attack.

Lime

@joecanada: There is a lot of different weapons in thi game, but to make it more understandable, I usually approach the many different weapon systems via range and weighted against heat and ammunition. So with 3025 Era technology, the categorization would be:

Long Range
LRMs (5/10/20)
Gauss Rifles
Autocannon 2 or 5 (AC2 / AC5)

Medium Range
PPC
Large Lasers
Medium Lasers
Autocannon 10 (AC10)

Short Range
Streak SRMs (2/4/6)
SRMs (2/4/6)
Small Lasers
Autocannon 20 (AC20)
Flamers
Machine Guns

Of course you distinguish betwen energy, munitions, and missiles in the above. Energy doens't need ammo, but generates a lot of heat, munitions generate less heat, but has limited ammunition, missiles generate medium heat but can carry more ammo, etc.

Purkake4

Banned
@joecanada: There is a lot of different weapons in thi game, but to make it more understandable, I usually approach the many different weapon systems via range and weighted against heat and ammunition. So with 3025 Era technology, the categorization would be:

Long Range
LRMs (5/10/20)
Gauss Rifles
Autocannon 2 or 5 (AC2 / AC5)

Medium Range
PPC
Large Lasers
Medium Lasers
Autocannon 10 (AC10)

Short Range
Streak SRMs (2/4/6)
SRMs (2/4/6)
Small Lasers
Autocannon 20 (AC20)
Flamers
Machine Guns

Of course you distinguish betwen energy, munitions, and missiles in the above. Energy doens't need ammo, but generates a lot of heat, munitions generate less heat, but has limited ammunition, missiles generate medium heat but can carry more ammo, etc.
This is a nice overview, thanks!

Woorloog

Banned
If range-bands follow those of the tabletop game, the PPC is a long-range, not medium range weapon (in tabletop it shares range with AC/5).

Also, Gauss rifles are advanced tech, almost certainly won't be in this game. Nor do Streak SRMs exist by this time.

Manzoon

Banned
If range-bands follow those of the tabletop game, the PPC is a long-range, not medium range weapon (in tabletop it shares range with AC/5).

Also, Gauss rifles are advanced tech, almost certainly won't be in this game. Nor do Streak SRMs exist by this time.

I'm always fuzzy on what was Star League era tech and what advancements the Clans made. Was refreshing my memory a bit on Sarna.net, imagine getting an XL engine or some ER lasers in a LosTech cache.

Lime

New footage: Jordan Weisman and Mike McCain played the game live at PDX Con - skip to 6:53:00 and forward - the match starts at around 7:03:00: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/142708305

Damn I forgot that Gauss and Streaks are not present in 3025. The game is going to be so gritty.

I wonder if it'll include Mod support?

If so, we'll see clan mechs added within the first week.
Personally, I'm just hoping someone mods a Thug in... that mech was always my go to.

Lime

I wonder if it'll include Mod support?

If so, we'll see clan mechs added within the first week.
Personally, I'm just hoping someone mods a Thug in... that mech was always my go to.

Mod support is not implemented by HBS. Unless the community is able to mod a Unity game, then you most likely won't see mods.

The Thug doesn't show up until the 3050 Era, so it's not going to be part of this game. It's also not a mech already created for Mechwarrior Online, so it's not there.

Your best bet for Clan mechs is if/when HBS go for a sequel with this game, provided it sells enough.

Woorloog

Banned
There is 3025-tech Thug. But there is no MWO model for one, so no Thug.

EDIT If a 'Mech is from TRO 3025, 3039, 3050, or 2750, there is 3025-tech version of it almost always. But not everything has MWO version yet.

As for mod support, implication was, based on some reading, that things are open. There is no official mod support, but they're not going to prevent people from trying to mod stuff.

Lime

That PDX gameplay footage shows the AI by the way, which is actually pretty decent as far as I've gathered. They retreat when outnumbered, seek for cover when attacked, concentrate firepower on one mech, etc.

I like this sort of game and i remember playing one of the demos for one of the Mechwarrior games many years ago, is there anywhere to get those games now? I can't find them available anywhere. Is there a good way to find out more about the setting as well? I'd prefer to know something about the setting before playing this!

Lime

I like this sort of game and i remember playing one of the demos for one of the Mechwarrior games many years ago, is there anywhere to get those games now? I can't find them available anywhere. Is there a good way to find out more about the setting as well? I'd prefer to know something about the setting before playing this!

Microsoft does not want to distribute their old games portfolio on GOG and they do not care about their IPs, so there's no way to legally obtain the old games, despite the fact that the games are the second-most requested series on GOG, just behind the Diablo series.

You can find Mechcommander 1 for free if you google it, but that's the real time tactics game, whereas Mechwarrior is the first-person simulation game that you are thinking of, which has no legal way of obtaining them (because of shitty Microsoft).

Microsoft does not want to distribute their old games portfolio on GOG and they do not care about their IPs, so there's no way to legally obtain the old games, despite the fact that the games are the second-most requested series on GOG, just behind the Diablo series.

You can find Mechcommander 1 for free if you google it, but that's the real time tactics game, whereas Mechwarrior is the first-person simulation game that you are thinking of, which has no legal way of obtaining them (because of shitty Microsoft).

Had a look into getting the discs instead and it seems even that isn't very feasible at between £5 - 15 per game, even more in some cases because of postage.

Purkake4

Banned
Is this coming to consoles?
AFAIK this is all the info we have now:

BATTLETECH is in development for PC, Mac, and Linux in English and will be delivered in standard and DRM-free versions on Steam, GoG, and Humble stores. The game will also be made available in German, French, and Russian (with localized text, and audio subtitles) in a post-launch update. Other platforms and languages may be announced later. BATTLETECH is expected to launch in early 2017.

Lime

Is this coming to consoles?

No, no console versions are planned. They are developing for PC primarily.

Not sure if they are a big enough studio to be able to change the UI and controls to a console version.

How well have X-Com 2, Wasteland 2, and Torment sold on PS4?

Not sure if they are a big enough studio to be able to change the UI and controls to a console version.

Ahhh man, this looks freaking awesome

Lime

Jordan's Jenner shutdown due to overheat and Mike jumped behind his it and killed him with two medium lasers in the back:

btechpdxcon32uqv.png

Ahhh man, this looks freaking awesome

The system requirements seem pretty low in case you have a smaller PC. Otherwise, the sales of turnbased PC games like X-Com, Wasteland, and Torment might be persuasive to Harebrained Schemes?

Alexious

Turn-based isn't that hard to translate to consoles, more and more games are doing it successfully.

Turn-based isn't that hard to translate to consoles, more and more games are doing it successfully.
The problem is that there isn't a super big audience for the console versions of most of these turn based tactics/strategy games. IIRC, XCOM:EU didn't do too well (sub-500K on consoles in the first month).

Lime

Where did I say it wasn't translateable? I'd love if this came to console so more people could enjoy.

Best option for this getting a console version is HBS hiring more people and giving them a business case on why it would make sense for them to make a console version (aka point to the sales of turnbased games like Xcom, WL2, and Torment).

Woorloog

Banned
Please tell me this was lucky shot using normal BT rules and not some stupid MWO like targeting mode.

Well, this does not use normal BT rules. A new ruleset, inspired by the tabletop but made for PC and hopefully correcting some problems from tabletop. In any case, not at all like real-time 'Mech game like MWO or any other MechWarrior.

Killing an enemy with two medium laser shots is definitively possible in tabletop, though unlikely usually. Usually impossible in MWO... Even though people tend to leave rear armor weak.

I don't think it's accurate to say they folded. They are developing the new heavy gear.

Does anyone know what the new Heavy Gear game is actually like? It seems it's hardly got any Steam reviews and i've not seen any threads about it here. Mechwarrior 3 and Heavy gear are two games i remember playing (or at least attempting to, i never got far) play many, many years ago, and this has got me interested in both of them again. I didn't realize it was being made by the same developer as MW4: Mercenaries.

Does anyone know what the new Heavy Gear game is actually like? It seems it's hardly got any Steam reviews and i've not seen any threads about it here. Mechwarrior 3 and Heavy gear are two games i remember playing (or at least attempting to, i never got far) play many, many years ago, and this has got me interested in both of them again. I didn't realize it was being made by the same developer as MW4: Mercenaries.

It's not.

MekTek were are a group of developers who made mods for Mechwarrior 4. They were the developers of the MekTek MechPaks... which introduced new mechs and tech/weapons.
They kept the community going for a little over a decade after Mech 4 Mercs (and its expansions) came out.

I haven't heard great things about the new Heavy Gear game... though most of that has to do with how it started life as an arena shooter, and I've heard nothing at all lately.
I think they were running a beta, or may be running one soon. Look into that.

Woorloog

Banned
Steam page for this game has system requirements.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BattleTech/

For Windows:

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Pentium Core i3 3210 3.20GHz or AMD FX 4300 3.8GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 660 GTX or AMD Radeon HD 7850
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 15 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Pentium Core i5 3450 3.10GHz or AMD FX 6300 3.5GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 or AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 15 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device

EDIT These are week old now but thought i'd post them anyway.

Top Bottom