• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 to stay as Wii U Exclusives

teeny

Is it wrong that I feel as if one or both of those game will bomba/sell so low that they'll eventually release them to PC/Steam and next-gen?
Well that's what Negative me would feel.

Was RE4 funded by Nintendo by any chance?

Who, exactly, would publish the titles on PC / next-gen?

Porcile

Is it wrong that I feel as if one or both of those game will bomba/sell so low that they'll eventually release them to PC/Steam and next-gen?

Nope. Not releasing on anything other than Wii U

AniHawk

I also own a game starved WiiU.

you should buy bayonetta for the xbox 360 and then play bayonetta for the xbox 360 because in a year of fantastic games, bayonetta for the xbox 360 was one of 2010's best.

kinda like rayman in 2011. OH NO, A PATTERN?!!

fvng

Are you sure? I mean, PS3 and Xbox360 have bigger install bases and such.

Why would they give up one of the primary reasons to buy a Wii U right now? That's the whole idea of exclusivity. To get users to migrate to your console

Dabanton

They'll both bomba, but I still wouldn't except to see them anywhere else other than Wii U.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
If they do stay Wii-U exclusives it gives me more of a reason to get one in the first place. Not really sure why Nintendo would give them up if at all.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Oh well. The new Gantz game that Platinum is making will be PS4 exclusive at least ┐(´ー`)┌

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No. It was just part of the ill fated Capcom five.
This is actually the first time I'm learning of the Nintendo moneyhat for Bayo 2. This is quite amazing. Bring on the next gen wars.
It was announced on a Nintendo Direct and the facts were made clear then. Sounds like you've been in hole. Are you Yukiho?

Madao

This is actually the first time I'm learning of the Nintendo moneyhat for Bayo 2. This is quite amazing. Bring on the next gen wars.

that's no moneyhat.

Bayonetta 2 exists thanks to Nintendo in the same capacity games like Smash Bros 4 and Mario Kart U exist thanks to them. a game basically funded by them isn't gonna get ported.

javac

*Clicks on Neogaf*

C6DRwHy.png

Oh shit...

Phew!

Porcile

The only new Bayonetta that might potentially come to any other system is Bayonetta 3, and that's only if Nintendo doesn't already have it's some sort of investment in the IP itself.

Daedardus

Why would they give up one of the primary reasons to buy a Wii U right now? That's the whole idea of exclusivity. To get users to migrate to your console

Why not? I think they can best put it up on iOS and Android. They have even bigger install bases. More money from those sales. They lose money on each Wii U sold, so it would hurt them only more when Wii U sells.

And the Wii U has a bigger install base than either the PS4 and NeXtBox. All development should be moved from them before it is too late.

Agreed 100%. PS4 hasn't sold a single unit, I mean, what's Sony up to.

/sarcasm

Hattori

Banned
Why not? I think they can best put it up on iOS and Android. They have even bigger install bases. More money from those sales. They lose money on each Wii U sold, so it would hurt them only more when Wii U sells.
Uhh ok... now you're just trying way too hard

Maztorre

Those of you who think that this will be ported are fucking crazy - this isn't a Razor's Edge situation (Tecmo pay for development with Nintendo acting as publisher), Nintendo are literally fronting the development cost of the game.

Sega no longer take on the financial risk of developing/publishing/distributing games like Bayonetta, which is why they negotiated with Nintendo in the first place - to sell them a game that was already partially in development but they weren't in a position to keep funding after their restructure. If Sony or MS wanted it they could have bought it themselves.

Given this situation:

a) Why would Nintendo pay for the development and distribution of this game but allow it to be published everywhere else? "Here's this game we finished for you Sega, hope it sells well elsewhere!"

b) Why would Sega take on distribution costs for selling this title on 360 or PS3 when they no longer participate in this business model?? Anarchy Reigns was the last risky retail game Sega published and that came out in the West only after a year in limbo because of Sega restructuring its business.

If you want Bayo2 just buy a WiiU, it's not like you'll struggle to find other exclusives in the next 12 months to justify your purchase. Hell, you're getting Kamiya's next game exclusively alongside Bayo2. It's a no-brainer.

fvng

Getting more Wii U's in homes is their current M.O.

More Wii U's in homes = more royalty income from increased software sales. Much more than if they let B2 go multi platform. Don't get your hopes up

Though I have to admit seeing a Nintendo logo on the cover of a ps3 box is something I would like to see at one point. Just for the sheer feeling of "never thought I would see this"

Zero148

And the Wii U has a bigger install base than either the PS4 and NeXtBox. All development should be moved from them before it is too late.
This doesn't work the other way around, the wiiu is doomed, of course orbis and durango will both surpass wiiu's userbase by the end of the year

danmaku

Maybe when Nintendo goes third party in a few years

iOS version incoming!

Getting more Wii U's in homes is their current M.O.

More Wii U's in homes = more royalty income from increased software sales. Much more than if they let B2 go multi platform. Don't get your hopes up

Though I have to admit seeing a Nintendo logo on the cover of a ps3 box is something I would like to see at one point. Just for the sheer feeling of "never thought I would see this"

Seeing Mario and Sonic in the same game was quite a shock for anyone who grew up during the 16 bit war.

Raide

I wonder if we will get a Demon's Souls situation where the developers move on to a Spiritual Sequel to Bayonetta? I guess it really depends on how many units is sells. The lower it is, the more reason the developers have to spin-off.

Nothing stopping them making an utterly new game that expands on all the cool Bayonetta stuff right?

Just to put things in perspective, apart from playing a demo, I have not touched the 360 version of Bayonetta. In fact, I only recently ordered a copy from Amazon, so I am looking forward to jumping in this weekend. :D

Eusis

Bayonetta 2 is Nintendo through and through - this is nothing like the NG3 situation

They paid for its existence.
It's why I said it depends on how much of a stake Sega has in it, Nintendo did help in developing Razor's Edge and that's still getting ported away. But if it's closer to the Fatal Frame deal, yeah, no way that's leaving Nintendo. Guess we'll wait and see if we hear news about Sega co-owning the IP or selling it off.

EDIT: With that said I don't see it as very likely. Razor's Edge was an update, and I don't think Nintendo published in Japan. Bayonetta 2 seems to be a much bigger deal and something Nintendo will sink their claws into deeper, whereas Sega seemingly just doesn't care about the series. Not that Rayman was the biggest seller either, but Ubisoft still kept that themselves, plus Ubisoft comes off as the kind of company so focused on multiplatform that they'd figure out a way to port a game to a toaster if they thought the toaster could run it respectably.

nickcv

why on earth should nintendo release a game that can be considered 2nd party on a competitor system?
following your logic they should release Mario and Zelda as well on PS360.

Daedardus

Don't get your hopes up

I hope you know I wasn't being serious. I don't even have a PS3 or Xbox360.

why on earth should nintendo release a game that can be considered 2nd party on a competitor system?
following your logic they should release Mario and Zelda as well on PS360.

Well, that was kind of the joke. Seems a popular opinion on some places on the internet. Thought I would chip in with it. Sorry if the sarcasm wasn't too obvious.

It's why I said it depends on how much of a stake Sega has in it, Nintendo did help in developing Razor's Edge and that's still getting ported away. But if it's closer to the Fatal Frame deal, yeah, no way that's leaving Nintendo. Guess we'll wait and see if we hear news about Sega co-owning the IP or selling it off.

I think you could compare it to Last Story, perhaps. Nintendo gave Mistwalker money to make them a game. Would certainly be on PS360 if there were any loop holes, especially since it began development as an HD game iirc.

I like how the only major Wii U third party exclusives (that aren't ports) that are on the Wii U are both from a developer whose games I've never liked.

Maybe W101 will be way more than it looks, though.

Feindflug

Yeah they should release a PS2 version as well, bigger install base and all that...it's funny because people say how the Wii U is DOOMED and has no games-reasons to get the system yet they want those games to go multiplatform, reminds me when MS announces an exclusive and we have people port begging for PC versions/F U MS with your disgusting moneyhats e.t.c.

I don't know how possible it is and with what tricks (NG2 -> NG2 Sigma) we may see a PS360 release at some point in the future, the only sure thing is that I'm getting a Wii U the day Bayonetta 2 releases.

Ferr986

I wonder if we will get a Demon's Souls situation where the developers move on to a Spiritual Sequel to Bayonetta? I guess it really depends on how many units is sells. The lower it is, the more reason the developers have to spin-off.

They dont need to do that. SEGA still holds the IP, so they can make Bayo 3 on PS4 if they want to.

Guess Who

Banned
Not accurate title. Bayonetta 2 and wonderful 101 to come to ps360 if nintendo allows it.

Are people just experiencing momentary lapses of reason, or do they really not understand that "Bayo2 and TW101 will come to PS3/360 if Nintendo allows it" and "Bayo2 and TW101 to remain Wii U exclusive" are, for all practical purposes, the same thing?

fvng

Seeing Mario and Sonic in the same game was quite a shock for anyone who grew up during the 16 bit war.

That would be my generation, I'm over the shock and now I get a fuzzy feeling when I see Sega and Nintendo's logo side by side on that Bayonetta 2 reveal trailer

I hope you know I wasn't being serious. I don't even have a PS3 or Xbox360.

Well, that was kind of the joke. Seems a popular opinion on some places on the internet. Thought I would chip in with it. Sorry if the sarcasm wasn't too obvious.

Poe's Law

Erethian

Well, Bayonetta 2 probably depends on how big of a role Sega has with its publication, given that Razor's Edge was a Nintendo published release but is hitting PS3/360 anyway. W101 is definitely Nintendo through and through pending some surprises I didn't know about (which would remind me of not knowing Monolith Soft developed Disaster when it was unveiled at E3.)

Sega aren't involved except in a minor way, when Bayonetta 2 was announced they made it clear Nintendo was handling everything.

Also some people seem to forget the part where Sega cancelled development of the game. Y'know, killed Bayonetta 2 stone dead.

Top Bottom